Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Well knowing how much of a clown he is I might start liking his matches more. I'll just have to imagine right before he came out he told Rey Mysterios he'll never make it in this business or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
WCW understood a fundamental truth about wrestling: you can never have enough tall, longhaired bodybuilders standing around. That's why he had a career with them almost until the end, even though most people are like "The balding keytar nerd who did the Miami Vice theme?"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

We'll always have The Juicy Hammers.
The first and last time Van Hammer positivity contributed to WCW.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I remember Hammer beating Saturn in a loser leaves the Flock match. Raven decided Hammer sucked anyway and kicked him out and kept Saturn.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Might as well drop this here:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1571560532276035584

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has there ever been a boxer turned wrestler who wasn't a celebrity, but became a long-time worker known for that gimmick?

I can only think of Mero's "Marvelous" run, which is a kinda.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I remember Hammer beating Saturn in a loser leaves the Flock match. Raven decided Hammer sucked anyway and kicked him out and kept Saturn.

I remember meeting someone randomly (I can't remember if it was a work thing, a party, or what) when I lived in Maryland (sometime between 2004 and 2012, but hell if I remember when). She was an older woman, and randomly offered up that she had just kicked her boyfriend out, because he'd lost his job at Rose's (a chain of low-end retail stores) and just sat at her house all day. "He was Van Hammer on TV." That was just kind of sad.

He just got busted for a DUI/Hit & Run of a kid on a bike, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlDh1dPB020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Uh, is the kid okay?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote:

On January 26, 2020, Hildreth was arrested in Palm Beach County, Florida, and charged with DUI and first degree felony hit and run.[15] Hildreth was reported to be driving at 58 mph in a 35 mph zone when he hit a 5-year-old child who was riding a bicycle. The child reportedly flew on to the hood of Hildreth's car and suffered internal injuries, but ultimately survived.[16] In May 2020, Hildreth pleaded guilty to both charges, and as a result was sentenced to one year of probation, one year of driver's license revocation, and he is to have an interlock device placed in his vehicle at all times during the course of his probation.[17]
america is obscenely carpilled

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you.

For comparison, my ex-wife had her license revoked for four years and had to pay all kinds of fines and take classes when she was arrested for drunk driving. And she didn’t almost kill a toddler or hit anyone in general. Then again, this was in New York.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Red posted:

Has there ever been a boxer turned wrestler who wasn't a celebrity, but became a long-time worker known for that gimmick?

Anthony Ogogo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the pope/elijah burke had a shitload of rando amateur 'toughman' fights before wrestling

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

JT Southern might be one of the few guys even worse at wrestling than Van Hammer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's regarded as the best match the Steiners had in Japan?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Most people always talk about ex football players who couldn't hack it and turned to wrestling because they're big. Who do you guys think is the best football player turned pro wrestler? As in (your opinion) a great worker.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Most people always talk about ex football players who couldn't hack it and turned to wrestling because they're big. Who do you guys think is the best football player turned pro wrestler? As in (your opinion) a great worker.

The Rock was pretty ok.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"The Cat" Ernie Ladd

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

MJF is pretty good as is Colt Cabana

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wahoo McDaniel famously played for the Oilers and wrestled in the off-season until he quit football altogether.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Dawgstar posted:

Dunno the date, but that one vs. Hase and Sasaki was a fuckin BANGER.

Also, would Tank Abbot count as "boxers" that got into wrestling? I mean, "the art of barfighting" is...kinda boxing? I dunno.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dawgstar posted:

Any of their tag matches that involved Hiroshi Hase. I'd say either Hase and Mutoh vs the Steiners from the 1994 January 4th Dome show (BATTLE FIELD) or Hase and Sasaki vs the Steiners from Starrcade in the Tokyo Dome in 1991. They also had a VERY good match vs Liger and Sasaki (wrestling as Power Warrior) in 1994.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Overall star, The Rock. Pure workrate, Brian Pillman.

In the modern era, anyway. Idunno how to compare their in-ring work to Verne Gagne, much less Bronko Nagurski.

EdsTeioh posted:

Also, would Tank Abbot count as "boxers" that got into wrestling? I mean, "the art of barfighting" is...kinda boxing? I dunno.
If you count amateurs who never won titles it opens the gate to a lot of people. It'd be like trying to determine the best "martial artist" and talking about anyone who'd ever taken a karate class.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EdsTeioh posted:

Dunno the date, but that one vs. Hase and Sasaki was a fuckin BANGER.

Tank Abbott actually had a lot of experience as an amateur wrestler and was trained as a boxer.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has anyone come out in an interview on why wwe named their new hires really really generic firstname-lastname stuff?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I feel like Lesnar is the obvious answer here?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Terry Funk and Vader

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kane was also a football player before he got a knee injury

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Red posted:

Wade Barrett was allegedly a bare knuckle boxer before he started wrestling (would explain his broken nose) and incorporated this into his background at times.

Sadly, he never incorporated anything relating to his background in marine biology. :(

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Who has been extremely successful in incorporating a non fighting related profession into their gimmick? Is there anyone more successful than that brief period of time undertaker did undertaker stuff like digging graves and making caskets in promos? Would IRS be considered extremely successful?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Who has been extremely successful in incorporating a non fighting related profession into their gimmick? Is there anyone more successful than that brief period of time undertaker did undertaker stuff like digging graves and making caskets in promos? Would IRS be considered extremely successful?

Bossman had a long run in multiple decades.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Maki Itoh seems to be doing pretty well for herself in Japan as a former pop idol.
Britt Baker anchors AEW's women's division as a dentist.

Are we counting Cowboys as a fighting profession?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 21, 2022

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Honky Tonk Man?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You could probably make the argument Logan Paul fits that description too with his profession being an internet personality

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm trying to figure out what Goldust's original job was. Movie fanatic?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Red posted:

I'm trying to figure out what Goldust's original job was. Movie fanatic?

iirc he was originally supposed to be a drag queen obsessed with cinema, the "gold" being the Oscars

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Defenestrategy posted:

Britt Baker

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Corbin is both the best football player and best boxer in wrestling.

Prove me wrong

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I bet Agogo would tummy punch the heck out of him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Bronko Nagurski. Held the pre-National Wrestling Alliance World title twice; is also in the NFL Hall of Fame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Has the WWE ever actually done a positive LBGT+ angle that has actually succeeded? I remember Stephanie said they would try one one day