Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The box seems disappointingly small

https://twitter.com/newtypehq/status/1181697582659035136?s=46&t=l545TdGvqH8Nhj3KYCWFAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Star Man, you're up! The prize pool:

HG R-Jarja
HG Reversible Gundam Just Dan Again
HG GBN-Guard Frame
SD Kurenai Musha Red Warrior Amazing
Koto Frame Arms Girl Materia Normal Ver
Koto Frame Arms Girl Materia White Ver
Bandai 1/100 Eva Mark.06 (number 06 in this line)
Bandai 1/100 Eva Unit 01 (number 04 in this line)
Bandai Omegamon
Koto 1/60 Arbalest
Koto 1/144 Muv-Luv Total Eclipse F-15E Strike Eagle
Koto non scale Muv-Luv Alternative Shiranui Storm Vanguard/Strike Vanguard Specification
Koto non scale Muv-Luv Total Eclipse Takemikaduchi Type 00F Takamura Yuki Deluxe
HG Hambrabi
HG Nu-Zeon Gundam (from ReRise)
Wave 1/24 Tachikoma 2045 Ver (Ghost in the Shell)
HG Super Fumina Titans Maid
Bandai 1/100 VF-25 Ranka marking
Bandai 1/100 VF-25 Sheryl marking

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

chiasaur11 posted:

(No-one likes Wufei, though. As is proper.)

When I re-watched it recently there was a scene where Wufei and Treize have a duel with fencing foils. Treize comes out on top, but he says he looks forward to when he and Wufei will cross swords with Wufei's favored weapon- mobile suits!

I thought that was cool. A shame about them never giving Wufei anything to do or anything that he cared about in a way that was communicated to the audience.

Now I sort of want that Maganac box out of spite for my future self. I got pretty tired of building Zakus over Backlogust (and still have more in the pile :gonk:) but even so... robot army...

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
As a kid he was my number 3 fav, which I suppose was the slot everybody was competing for after Hero and Dou. At the time I really liked the dragon theme.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Shenlong absolutely kicks rear end. So does Dragon Gundam from G for that matter. If the next series after Witch From Mercury is just wall-to-wall dragon Gundams I'll be a happy man. I'd also be stoked for a reprise of G Gundam where maybe somebody talked to people from the country that each Gundam represents before settling on a design. Except for the USA, of course- Boxer/Cowboy is better than we could ever possibly deserve.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just Dan Again posted:

When I re-watched it recently there was a scene where Wufei and Treize have a duel with fencing foils. Treize comes out on top, but he says he looks forward to when he and Wufei will cross swords with Wufei's favored weapon- mobile suits!

I thought that was cool. A shame about them never giving Wufei anything to do or anything that he cared about in a way that was communicated to the audience.

Now I sort of want that Maganac box out of spite for my future self. I got pretty tired of building Zakus over Backlogust (and still have more in the pile :gonk:) but even so... robot army...

You can also buy Manganacs singly if you don't want to OD on them.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Just Dan Again posted:

Except for the USA, of course- Boxer/Cowboy is better than we could ever possibly deserve.

Boxer/Cowboy/Football Player :911:

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Boxer/Cowboy/Football Player :911:

Boxer/Cowboy/Football Player/Surfer :911:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Boxer/Cowboy/Football Player/Surfer :911:

:911::911::911:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chiasaur11 posted:

Depending on what you like about Wing, there might be another Gundam that's a good fit.

Gundam 00 is basically the reboot of Wing, and has cool mobile suits in both Gundam and non-Gundam flavors.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

You can also buy Manganacs singly if you don't want to OD on them.

But isn't the box the only way to get the variant ones?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

But isn't the box the only way to get the variant ones?

I think they were released as individual p-Bandai kits too though we didn't get them in the US.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Midjack posted:

I think they were released as individual p-Bandai kits too though we didn't get them in the US.

P-Bandai had the custom suits for the 4 named pilots (in 2 kits with parts selection) but if I remember correctly the 36 box does have a few exclusive weapons. Not that anybody is gonna notice with 40 of them on your shelf.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Was anybody able to get a RG Gaogaigar? This is the second time I've had a preorder with HLJ that immediately went to backordered without getting fulfilled (RG God was the first) and I'm starting to get a little frusty

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Same, I assume it's probably the hot new thing to scalp right now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Yikes, glad I didn't bother. I guess they fulfil preorders based on when they're submitted? Wouldn't surprise me if the scalpers have set up bots to trawl for new preorders if that's the case.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gotta scalp something while gpu prices are soft I guess.

I was just talking to my spouse about how every goddamn thing seems to have shortages at release now.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Did the GM Spartan preorder actually sell out in 6 days? That's lame, I like tactical space grunts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Midjack posted:

Star Man, you're up! The prize pool:

HG R-Jarja
HG GBN-Guard Frame
Bandai Omegamon
Koto 1/60 Arbalest
Koto non scale Muv-Luv Alternative Shiranui Storm Vanguard/Strike Vanguard Specification
Koto non scale Muv-Luv Total Eclipse Takemikaduchi Type 00F Takamura Yuki Deluxe
HG Hambrabi

oh gosh I won a consolation prize. I'll take the HG Hambrabi

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bij posted:

Did the GM Spartan preorder actually sell out in 6 days? That's lame, I like tactical space grunts.

More like six minutes. Some things last longer, but for hot ticket P-Bandai items, you'd better be there the minute the pre-orders open, or the thing's going to be gone.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

chiasaur11 posted:

More like six minutes. Some things last longer, but for hot ticket P-Bandai items, you'd better be there the minute the pre-orders open, or the thing's going to be gone.

That's lame as poo poo and seems like such a bad business decision. The demand is clearly there, at least try to meet it. These aren't some faux luxury, artificial scarcity, "limited drop", Supreme-like items, so what gives?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

oh gosh I won a consolation prize. I'll take the HG Hambrabi

Got it!

Rabbi Tupac, you're up! The prize pool:

HG R-Jarja
HG GBN-Guard Frame
Bandai Omegamon
Koto 1/60 Arbalest
HG Hambrabi Star Man

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Midjack posted:

Got it!

Rabbi Tupac, you're up! The prize pool:

HG R-Jarja
HG GBN-Guard Frame
Bandai Omegamon
Koto 1/60 Arbalest
Koto non scale Muv-Luv Total EclipseT Takemikaduchi Type 00F Takamura Yuki Deluxe
HG Hambrabi Star Man

Let's go with the R-Jarja.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Prof. Banks posted:

That's lame as poo poo and seems like such a bad business decision. The demand is clearly there, at least try to meet it. These aren't some faux luxury, artificial scarcity, "limited drop", Supreme-like items, so what gives?

Right. Here's the deal, as best I understand it.

Other than newer SD kits (and that only changed relatively recently) Bandai makes everything in house at one of their Japanese factories. They've got... two at the moment, I think, with a third on the way, but every kit they make is made in those, from the Entry Grades on the shelves of American targets to the limited run metal coated contest prizes. They don't know what's going to be a hit and what's going to flop, so sometimes they underproduce, leading to mass scalping (like with the last few Real Grades) and sometimes they overproduce, making retailers take a bath (like with the Figurise Shion).

P-Bandai exists to handle limited run items, usually things that Bandai suspects wouldn't be a big hit with mainstream retail. Selling direct to consumers means that they guarantee every model they make sells, so they can afford to make more obscure designs, like the White Dingo sniper II. They can also start new runs if it turns out the design is a hit, without going so overboard that they wind up with a surplus.

The problems are twofold. First, Bandai makes assumptions at the jump as to what suits will be popular (getting bigger runs) and which ones will be less popular (leading to smaller runs) and that often means that, if your favorite obscure design catches on in the leadup to its release, you have a very limited window to act.

Second, although it's not as bad as it was a few months ago, Bandai's got a lot more demand than supply going on. Their factories have limited production, and making more GM Semi-strikers means they might not be able to make more Barbatos while they're making the Semi-Strikers, which had been selling really well, and they definitely won't be able to make more GM IIs, since that uses some of the same molds. So even popular P-Bandai designs have to wait in line a bit to get another go.

Basically, P-Bandai exists to guarantee Bandai doesn't take a loss on less popular designs. Making enough to satisfy global audiences is more of a bonus than a primary objective.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/miniaturite/status/1572563147990659072?s=46&t=HnymjKv4SEqcFYdxxQ6nuw

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Holy poo poo

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i gota finish up my backlog so i can pick up one of those

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Let's go with the R-Jarja.

Got it!

Electrophotonic, you're up! The prize pool:

HG R-Jarja Rabbi Tupac
HG GBN-Guard Frame
Bandai Omegamon
Koto 1/60 Arbalest
HG Hambrabi Star Man

Also remember to PM me your shipping addresses. Also note that I will be working at a field site again for much of next week but I will catch up when I return.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

chiasaur11 posted:

Right. Here's the deal, as best I understand it.

Other than newer SD kits (and that only changed relatively recently) Bandai makes everything in house at one of their Japanese factories. They've got... two at the moment, I think, with a third on the way, but every kit they make is made in those, from the Entry Grades on the shelves of American targets to the limited run metal coated contest prizes. They don't know what's going to be a hit and what's going to flop, so sometimes they underproduce, leading to mass scalping (like with the last few Real Grades) and sometimes they overproduce, making retailers take a bath (like with the Figurise Shion).

P-Bandai exists to handle limited run items, usually things that Bandai suspects wouldn't be a big hit with mainstream retail. Selling direct to consumers means that they guarantee every model they make sells, so they can afford to make more obscure designs, like the White Dingo sniper II. They can also start new runs if it turns out the design is a hit, without going so overboard that they wind up with a surplus.

The problems are twofold. First, Bandai makes assumptions at the jump as to what suits will be popular (getting bigger runs) and which ones will be less popular (leading to smaller runs) and that often means that, if your favorite obscure design catches on in the leadup to its release, you have a very limited window to act.

Second, although it's not as bad as it was a few months ago, Bandai's got a lot more demand than supply going on. Their factories have limited production, and making more GM Semi-strikers means they might not be able to make more Barbatos while they're making the Semi-Strikers, which had been selling really well, and they definitely won't be able to make more GM IIs, since that uses some of the same molds. So even popular P-Bandai designs have to wait in line a bit to get another go.

Basically, P-Bandai exists to guarantee Bandai doesn't take a loss on less popular designs. Making enough to satisfy global audiences is more of a bonus than a primary objective.

I get not having capacity to meet demand and not wanting to overproduce and be left holding the bag, but when they're doing pre-orders for a pressing they presumably have not produced yet since they're pre-orders and not, well, orders, why not actually treat them like a pre-order should be and use the number pre-ordered as the number that will end up being produced. Like announce that pre-orders will be open for a week and whatever is ordered in that time will be what's made. Then make them.

If their whole thing is to not take risks, then doing pre-orders that way means that they have no risk since that week's worth of orders have been paid for. What they're doing now has a lower ROI since they're having to spend money on designing and making molds for lots of things that get tiny runs.

TLDR: I want my spartan, but I have a job and a kid and adult poo poo to do so I can't spend all day on a discord or reddit or pressing F5 on the P-Bandai site waiting for the 6 minute window where it's actually available. :argh:

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Prof. Banks posted:

TLDR: I want my spartan, but I have a job and a kid and adult poo poo to do so I can't spend all day on a discord or reddit or pressing F5 on the P-Bandai site waiting for the 6 minute window where it's actually available. :argh:

Not to defend Bandai, but it is nice that all their models get released at the same time of day (9pm ET/6pm PT) so there's at least no guessing on that front.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Prof. Banks posted:

I get not having capacity to meet demand and not wanting to overproduce and be left holding the bag, but when they're doing pre-orders for a pressing they presumably have not produced yet since they're pre-orders and not, well, orders, why not actually treat them like a pre-order should be and use the number pre-ordered as the number that will end up being produced. Like announce that pre-orders will be open for a week and whatever is ordered in that time will be what's made. Then make them.

If their whole thing is to not take risks, then doing pre-orders that way means that they have no risk since that week's worth of orders have been paid for. What they're doing now has a lower ROI since they're having to spend money on designing and making molds for lots of things that get tiny runs.

Some of it is that they only have a limited amount of time at the factory for p-Bandai runs in between scheduled production runs of general releases so they set the maximum they can make and cut off there. If something is a fast seller the first time it will likely get a higher limit the next time it's run. Things that don't sell out may not get reprinted.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Not to defend Bandai, but it is nice that all their models get released at the same time of day (9pm ET/6pm PT) so there's at least no guessing on that front.

And they also have the release time and date up well in advance, so there's no guessing. It might not be an ideal system, but it's at least something you can plan around.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
these F5 drops suck and always have. Fine for a one-man-show where you literally can't make more than 20 - 30 at a time and are doing this as a side gig. Fine for rear end in a top hat artists who want hype. Nah, there's no defending that system. A timed drop system pretty much guarantees you have to be totally invested in the product sale.

But this is the best that bandai can do? like they can't add a pre-order buffer after the ready-made are sold? gently caress do a kickstarter like hasbro if they doubt there is enough interest for a second run.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Vaporware posted:

like they can't add a pre-order buffer after the ready-made are sold? gently caress do a kickstarter like hasbro if they doubt there is enough interest for a second run.

P-Bandai at least is all produced to order which is why they have such a long lead time on them. Their biggest problem is finding room in the production schedule, which again is why they're trying to get that extra factory running and started outsourcing to China on low-tech stuff like the SDs.

They usually do have 2nd and 3rd runs on the immediate sellouts though.

Edit: To give you an idea of how pegged their factories are, hobby stores here in Japan, their primary market, have had Gunpla branded empty shelves for over a year now.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 22, 2022

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Midjack posted:

Got it!

Electrophotonic, you're up! The prize pool:

HG R-Jarja Rabbi Tupac
HG GBN-Guard Frame
Bandai Omegamon
Koto 1/60 Arbalest
HG Hambrabi Star Man

Also remember to PM me your shipping addresses. Also note that I will be working at a field site again for much of next week but I will catch up when I return.

What model series are the EVAs from? I can’t seem to find any 1/100 scale ones from Bandai, wouldn’t those be enormous?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The good EVAs are Real Grades.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 22, 2022

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Prof. Banks posted:

The alternative is Supreme. You do not want Supreme.

They charge reasonable prices, and don't oversell, or inflate prices to.. well.. people are paying a 100% markup on popular cars. They're leaving money on the table because they make enough money. I am ~very~ thankful they're still a Japanese company, and will do that sort of thing. Once you apply the MBA handbook ~everyone is unhappy~. Especially you.

PM me. I bought three of the GM Snipers. Lets work something out.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Electrophotonic posted:

What model series are the EVAs from? I can’t seem to find any 1/100 scale ones from Bandai, wouldn’t those be enormous?

Midjack should definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1/100s were first put out about contemporary with the original airing of the show. They've been re-releasing them along with the official kinda-Master Grade versions to go along with the movie releases. It's a perfectly okay kit, but you can definitely tell they're on the older side. The main gimmick is they couldn't figure out how to do the organic-looking arms like with the modern RGs, so they just built an armature and wrapped it in flexible rubber.

NB to potential prize-takers, Unit-03 and Unit-04 look the same, but they're color-swapped. I'd eyeball her as being a pinch taller than your standard MG.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Midjack posted:

Got it!

Speaking of that, if I don't have PM's what a good way to contact you Midjack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
My dad got a hip replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago and so he's mostly immobile during recovery and my mom asked us if we had any ideas for him to constructively pass time and so I brought down a couple of MGs from my backlog and some tools and now my 70yo dad has almost completed the Jegan

he has absolutely never been into models or even any nerd poo poo so this is amazing to see (and I am secretly glad he is helping clear my backlog)