Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

teen witch posted:

it’s fall so I’m itching for a Pete & Pete watch but I know it’ll get me far too wistful.

https://youtu.be/9zKyEKEs4us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

An adult with a habit of watching Teletubbies is still funny :shrug:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

odiv posted:

AITA for acting shocked and laughing at my wife for watching Teletubbies while on her exercise bike?

I'm quoting this one specifically, but it also applies for the many others like it that I have seen.

Whilst yeah, it is a little bit rude to laugh at your wife for her childish/silly viewing habits. Especially when she gave a reasonable sensible explanation, (I know it's silly and childish, but it's nostalgic and calming. And that's more important to me.).

It is a silly little thing between two people who should be intimate partners. It should garner a giggle, or mild annoyance, and then both parties move on with their lives. It is a small thing that neither affects or harms anyone, even if it is slightly out of the ordinary.

So for it to get bad enough that you are compelled to write about it on the internet is a failure on both ends. That you get so offended/upset at such a minor thing that you stop talking to your husband/wife, or that you push and push what should be a small thing to such a degree that someone else could get that upset/offended.

I mean it's almost like these people don't communicate at all or relate to each other like human beings. Must be why their marriage/relationship has lasted so long eh?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endorph posted:

the teletubbies lady is 'watching it' while working out, she probably just wants something she can barely pay attention to and 'follow,' know wont distract her, and is unlikely to drop anything that she actually needs to process

i tried using reality tv as background noise for my treadmill and every few episodes someone would say something distractingly racist or sexist (or both), i tried old episodes of jeopardy but id start actually thinking about the questions, so i just switched to pokemon. ash and pals go to some random place and theres some random pokemon of the week, team rocket motto, thunderbolt, credits. if i ever actually focus on the tv, yep, that sure is pikachu.

I used to use old westerns for that background. Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rifleman, low stakes inoffensive stuff that made for good background noise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Moon Monster posted:

An adult with a habit of watching Teletubbies is still funny :shrug:

Is it? I think that’s something I would laugh at in high school but it feels a bit low effort now

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

the teletubbies lady is 'watching it' while working out, she probably just wants something she can barely pay attention to and 'follow,' know wont distract her, and is unlikely to drop anything that she actually needs to process

i tried using reality tv as background noise for my treadmill and every few episodes someone would say something distractingly racist or sexist (or both), i tried old episodes of jeopardy but id start actually thinking about the questions, so i just switched to pokemon. ash and pals go to some random place and theres some random pokemon of the week, team rocket motto, thunderbolt, credits. if i ever actually focus on the tv, yep, that sure is pikachu.

I watched a ton of DBZ while on an elliptical for the same reason. The show is intensely stupid, but watchable enough that you can kinda zone out to it. Also it was just the right length per episode to get 2 in a night. Really need to get back to that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

I watched a ton of DBZ while on an elliptical for the same reason. The show is intensely stupid, but watchable enough that you can kinda zone out to it. Also it was just the right length per episode to get 2 in a night. Really need to get back to that.

There is nothing stupid about making gains while watching the show about making gains

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for not cutting down a peach tree on my lawn?

quote:

I(46M) have an apple tree in my backyard and a peach tree in my front yard. I am currently living in my parents house with my wife(46F). My mother and father planted them. They passed away and we decided to plant more. I only trim them when the branches get too big. They are mostly for the wildlife in the nearby woods. The deer love to come and eat the fruit. I don't spray them with any pesticides as they aren't for consumption.

I work during the week and don't get home until the evening. I haven't had any issues with the neighbors as the house is mostly in the countryside and surrounded by woods. A few weeks ago, a new neighbor moved in to the house nextdoor. I haven't had any interaction with them until now. I was not aware that the neighbor was coming over and grabbing fruit from the peach tree.

I get home yesterday and neighbor was standing on my porch. She comes storming over to my car and says The peaches made my son and I sick. I told her that the fruit was mostly for decoration and for the wildlife. She starts screaming at me and threatens to call the cops unless I take the trees down.

I told her no, I'm not going to take the trees down. My wife suggested going out to the grocery store and buying her some peaches to keep the peace.

How dare you have things on your property that made me sick after I came over uninvited and took them! :arghfist::barf:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for not cutting down a peach tree on my lawn?

How dare you have things on your property that made me sick after I came over uninvited and took them! :arghfist::barf:

"Oh, did you just admit to trespassing? Could I have that in writing?"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Attractive nuisance law vs tree law.

AITA for leaving my birthday massage because the masseuse was an old man

quote:

i have been begging my husband for a real massage for a long time now, i have a lot of back problems and have pain every day. i’ve never been to a place like that or gotten anything done professionally like that. so today was my birthday and he booked a massage for me so i go and its this dark little creepy room on the 5th floor of some old rear end office buildings and the only person is this just tall creepy old man. I mean he was friendly enough but there was no way i was going to be comfortable taking my clothes off and letting him touch me im sorry but no. I have past trauma. i was hoping idk, it might be a legit place i could maybe request a woman masseuse? i don’t know. my husband sprang it on me and told me where to go and i showed up. but i started panicking and breaking out in a sweat so i told the man i had to leave and just left.

but since then my hubs has been acting kind of weird about it saying i wanted like a hot guy to massage me or what did i expect a happy ending or something and when i was picking up a pizza after he was like make sure it’s made by someone attractive or you wont eat it?????!!!!! but he booked that massage place bc he had found a groupon for 24 dollars not the places i had looked up and suggested for him.

anyways reddit am i the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to get a massage bc dude was an old man and not a woman or even maybe a younger guy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for leaving my birthday massage because the masseuse was an old man

YTA, the masculine is "masseur".

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my fiance that he embarrassed me when he started singing the "happy birthday" song to his 5 yo son at the restaurant?

quote:

I F30 have been with my fiance "Ned" M36 for a year and a half. He has a 5yo son with his ex girlfriend. They don't have a custody arrangement but he has him most of the week because the mom is currently sick. His son is lovely but I noticed that Ned takes him everywhere he goes, including places that aren't child friendly and we have an issue with that now but we're working on it.

His son's 5th birthday was days ago, Ned took us out to a restaurant to celebrate. The place was nice and looked a bit unfitting for the occasion because it was a somewhat expensive place.

Anyways, We ordered food then got the birthday cake which was a surprise to me because I thought we were going to celebrate at home...so we could be free to sing and play however we wanted. I still had no issue with that til Ned started singing the "happy birthday song" to his son. I was stunned I almost drop my plate. He was singing it at the top of his lungs not even looking around or paying attention to how many people staring at us awkwardly. I felt so embarrassed I kept whispering for him to stop but he ignored me. Of course my future stepson was hyped and a little too active which isn't good when we're at a public place. I expected the staff, the manager, anyone to get involved and stop him but no one did. In fact some woman came up to us and offered that she "help him take a video recording". I wasn't in it at all. I froze in my seat looking stunned and a little angry.

He looked at me later asking what was wrong. I didn't say anything except "thanks for finally noticing!" he didn't understand what I meant and I didn't explain til we were in the car. I flatout told him that he embarrassed me the second he started singing in the restaurant. He looked shocked saying he didn't get why I would be embarrassed by him celebrating his son's birthday and cheering him up. I told him we could've done this at home when we'd be more comfortable and free. He took it as in I was ashamed of him and his son but I denied it and said that it just felt awkward and embarrassing to maybe because I've never been in this situation and also judging from the restaurant we were at. He said that his son's mom is sick and he's trying to do all he can to cheer him up and that all families do that and no one had an issue with that except me then when I tried to explain, he got mad and said he no longer felt like talking.

We haven't been speaking since then. It appears he's still salty about me saying what I said and insiating that I see him and his son as an embarrassement.

AITA? I think he's being too harsh with the whole ignoring me thing instead of talking it out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my fiance that he embarrassed me when he started singing the "happy birthday" song to his 5 yo son at the restaurant?

quote:

He said that his son's mom is sick and he's trying to do all he can to cheer him up and that all families do that and no one had an issue with that except me then when I tried to explain, he got mad and said he no longer felt like talking.

I wonder how much of this story took place in the "when I tried to explain"

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Oh, did you just admit to trespassing? Could I have that in writing?"

AND theft! :eng101:

But really, what's the point of asking him to take them down? Is she unable to control herself to not go into his yard to steal fruit that she knows made her sick?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

fuckin lmao at the fiancée convinced there's some heavy bystander effect poo poo going down because no one tackled the dude as he sang "Happy Birthday" to his pre-K child

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Troublemaker posted:

AND theft! :eng101:

But really, what's the point of asking him to take them down? Is she unable to control herself to not go into his yard to steal fruit that she knows made her sick?

The tree harmed my tummy, and I demand its death in recompense.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Doesn't Attractive Nuisance not apply to mentally-capable adults?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, singing a song to a kid with a sick parent, how embarassing!

Ten to one the OP was hoping to never see the kid post marriage.

Fixed some spelling.
AITA for leaving my coworker to handle the morning rush alone after he accused me of getting period blood on the light switch

quote:

I (17F) work at a chain bakery popular in my city. I work the closing shift after school most nights with me and my other coworker who we will call Dan (30something).

I’m going to be frank, i do not like Dan, he is mean and condescending, constantly making fun of my looks, my manor of speech (english isn’t my first language) and my age.

I get annoyed by this incredibly quickly and working with him overall is very difficult especially because he will consistently slack off during rush hours, and will consistently make orders wrong constantly and then make me fix them and deal with the customers.

I haven’t said anything to my manager yet because i don’t wanna make any trouble because i’m the youngest person that works their and i don’t think anyone would take my seriously.

But yesterday was the last straw.

i didn’t have school yesterday so i decided i would take an opening shift, and to my surprise Dan was also there. I had closed up by myself there the day before and when i got there Dan asked if he could show me something.

He took my into the kitchen area and started demonstrating how to currently wash your hands like how you would explain to a five year old. I asked why he was showing me this and then he said it was because last night i had left my period blood on the light switch and when he came in today he saw it and thought it was disgusting.

So i asked him where the is supposed period blood was and he showed it to me, he said he hadn’t wiped it because he said it was gross. It was loving jam.

It was the bright pink strawberry jam we use to fill donuts, and this idiot thought it was period blood.

I told him i was clocking out and that he could find someone else to cover my shift or do the morning rush alone. I was so done with him.

He said that wasn’t fair and i said tough poo poo.

So aita?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

e: lol posted the same story as cowslips AT THE SAME MINUTE

tuesday'd again

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

e: lol posted the same story as cowslips AT THE SAME MINUTE

tuesday'd again

It actually is Tuesday, though, you were in the clear!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Lone Badger posted:

Doesn't Attractive Nuisance not apply to mentally-capable adults?
Pretty sure Attractive Nuisance doesn't apply to adults, period.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for leaving my coworker to handle the morning rush alone after he accused me of getting period blood on the light switch
Speaking of! Eat poo poo, Dan.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Dan has ever seen real blood before. Not period blood, just blood in general.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

limp_cheese posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Dan has ever seen real blood before. Not period blood, just blood in general.

Blood? Blood. Crimson, citrus-smelling blood, her blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. And bits of fruit.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It actually is Tuesday, though, you were in the clear!

i in australia, it's wednesday

AITA for not stepping in when my husband snapped at his sister for a comment she made about me?

quote:

I (25F) and my husband Ryan (26M) have been together for 5 years, married for 1. I get along really well with his parents and brother, not his sister “Emily”.

Emily constantly makes remarks about my body and clothes. Comments such as, looks like you didn’t eat today, stop buying clothes that are too big it’s trashy, wow she’s finally eating and so on. Ryan has spoken to her privately numerous times and called her out but she just ignores him and says I’m over sensitive and she’s not doing anything but joking. (she’s backed off a little.) My whole life I’ve been thinner wearing xs/s clothing. I’ve also had trouble gaining weight, but with Ryan helping me work out and lift more I have begun getting in my target weight range.

2 weeks ago everyone was over at our house for a pool day and dinner. Ryan and his dad were grilling hamburgers and bbq. I went up to grab a plate and filled it with a lot of food. When I sat down to eat Emily said wow, finally about time you start eating like a real person. I ignored her and just went on about eating. She didn’t like I wasn’t giving her a reaction so she called to Ryan and said hey ryan, your wife is finally eating so now you don’t have to sleep with bones and laughed. Everyone was silent for a moment but ryan snapped. He told her to get the heck out of our house and not come back.

Of course, she protested but he let her know he’s tired of her treating me horribly and we gave her too many chances to change and now she’s lost the privilege to be near us. She then demanded their parents do something. Her parents walked up to her with her stuff in her bag and said they would walk her to her car. Once back they apologized profusely for her behavior and said Ryan did the right thing.

For the last two weeks everyone hasn’t been in contact with Emily unless they were telling her to apologize. She is refusing saying she did nothing wrong and was just joking with her brother. Her friends and even some other family members are saying I’m just over sensitive and a horrible women for taking her parents and brothers away from her. Before we blocked her she told me I should have just laughed at her joke and stopped Ryan from snapping at her and that she now has no one to cry to because I took her family away and I’m starting to feel a bit bad because they were always close. So, AITA for not stopping my husband from snapping at his sister?

Edit: I forgot to say Emily is the same age as me (25)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for not stepping in when my husband snapped at his sister for a comment she made about me?

"Her friends and even some other family members"

Just ignore the former and block the latter. Problem solved!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Blood? Blood. Crimson, citrus-smelling blood, her blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. And bits of fruit.
Passersby Were Amazed by the Unusually Large Amounts of Blood

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

when i went to the gym i usually just zoned out and wrote like, brain fics or remembered mecha stuff or songs or smth (im worried earbuds will fall out of my ears), since don't think the machines can run all tv shows

another edit on the nutrient-poor diet post (bolding is ops):

quote:

EDIT3: I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. I wish I had time to get around to responding to all of you, but sadly in the middle of all this I've also been moving into a new apartment and things are hectic. He has started going to therapy since last month and I'm going to push him to bring up the topic of disordered eating/AFRID to them. I'm not willing to quit this relationship yet, but he is now fully aware that he's on "thin ice" and I will leave if he doesn't seem dedicated to taking care of himself. And as for the people wondering if he has autism, he hasn't been diagnosed but I would say it's almost a certainty that he does given his social awkwardness and a few other things (hyperfixation on certain topics, tics, stimming, gender nonconformity, etc.)

really hoping he gets help, speaking as someone who also has issues with eating regularly :(

AITA for telling a stranger “it’s weird you chose to sit right next to me when there’s so many other seats available” on the public transit?

quote:

Update; everyone thinks I’m a female. I’m a male.

So I took the transit today, and the street car was totally open and available. It’s really nice because there were about 30 different seats available, and I was alone. I was sitting on the window seat and some random stranger just came up to me and sat next to me. I was thinking “why is this guy sitting next to me? There’s like 30 available seats at the front and back and he sat next to me.” So I said to him,”why did you sit next to me? There’s so many other seats everywhere on the street car it’s just a little strange?” He said,” we’ll do you own this seat? Is this your seat? I can sit wherever I want, you’re being unreasonable here.” I said “correct, I don’t own this spot I just don’t understand why you chose to sit right next to me when the entire street car is empty and you can sit anywhere you want on the street car?” He responded the same thing and I thought “okay I don’t want to conflict with a random stranger I don’t even know.”

I ended up getting up and moving because the situation was perplexing to me. It’s like an unwritten rule that if there are an abundance of available seats you sit alone!

So AITA in this situation?

either the stranger is a creep or has willfully forgotten pretty much the past 2ish years

AITA for suggesting my step-daughter is overreacting over her milk?

quote:

My wife and I (both 40) have a kid each from previous relationships, mine is Connor (18M) and hers is Sasha (16F), my son has a girlfriend, Hannah(17F) and both her and Sasha are lactose intolerant. Sasha spends half the month with us, so we always have normal and lactose-free milk, I'll admit, Sasha's milk is quite expensive because she only likes certain kind that she can also drinks alone and not with just coffees or smoothies.

Now the issue is, Hannah spends almost 3 to 4 days here and my wife and I don't mind at all, but Sasha has complaint several times that Hannah drinks her milk as fuel during those days and barely leaves anything for her (we go to the supermarket every 2 weeks, Sasha can go to any nearby store and get more, tho, not the one she likes) and has asked us to either buy gallon for her only and one for Hannah or tell her to go buy her own milk. My wife decided to just buy Sasha a small fridge to keep in her room so she can store her milk and other things there which I find very disrespectful, I mean it's just milk, we can always buy more.

This has caused Hannah to ask if she can borrow a bit of milk every time she wants to drink a coffee with us, and Sasha says yes, most times, but when she decides Hannah has had ''enough'' milk, she says she's almost running out (which is a lie). A few days ago, before Sasha was about to come back from her father, my wife and I bought the groceries and I put the milk on the fridge, then Sasha came and attempted to take it to her room and I said that she wasn't allowed to do it because it was for the whole house, so she had to leave it there. She didn't say anything and just went to her room, and about 5 to 6 hours after that, Sasha's dad pulled over and bought her a gallon and told us that we didn't had to buy any more lactose-free milk for Sasha since he'll be taking care of it from now on, but that my son's girlfriends wasn't allowed to have any, so we had to provide for her if we wanted to.

My wife is mad. She said we should've let Sasha have her own milk and bought another for when Hannah is here, even if it's not as expensive, but I think Sasha is being a brat. AITA?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Booky posted:

AITA for suggesting my step-daughter is overreacting over her milk?

lol i've heard of single parents marrying into more kids and treating their step children worse than their own but putting even his bio son's loving girlfriend over his step daughter is hilariously low

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fruit jam for the fruit jam god. Donuts for the donut throne.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How would period blood even get on to the light switch?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

edogawa rando posted:

Projection from a guy who doesn't wash his hands and assumes everyone is as handsy with their junk when using the bathroom?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

edogawa rando posted:

it's like checking your nose for boogers

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

edogawa rando posted:

It's an easy result of a typo, as the light switch is for turning a lampon and off

AITA for reporting the boys in my science class despite them “not actually saying the word”

quote:

I (15F) attend a school in a predominantly white area in rural MS.

Micro aggressions tend to be very common and over the years I have tended to pick up on when people are using them.

So it started earlier this year when a group of guys towards the back of the class watched a video on one of their laptops. It was that one clip from Arthur where Arthur has a nightmare of him being referred to as a “knitter”

The guys in that class continuously repeated it, and they did this from toward the end of August up until last week when I finally told administration. I really wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and thought that maybe they were doing random references. You know how throughout the day you may say something random you heard from a show years ago? Well that’s what I thought they were doing at first. It got really hard to believe when they did this daily, and they said it in this really high-pitched voice, so the teacher (who was far away) wouldn’t hear them.

Not only to mention that, they never made a reference to anything else from that specific episode. They just kept repeating “knitter” I really started to think this was racially motivated when that same exact video blew up on TikTok not that long ago for how similar it sounded to the n word.

One day one of the guys told another guy in the class to “Do the knitter” Given how fed up was at that point I turned over to them and so did some people that sat around me. The guy that was told to do it then proceeded to say “Oh no (insert my name) heard that, you better stop”

I obviously wasn’t the only one that heard that, so why were they worried about me specifically hearing that? Well I was the only black person in that class. I’m not quick to make assumptions usually, but come on it’s pretty obvious the reason why y’all kept repeating it now. They then stopped for a while. It wasn’t until later that day the teacher said my name and instructed me to do something. Right after that, in the same high pitched voice, I heard “knitter.” I don’t know why but at that moment I was holding back tears.

Class soon ended after that, and next period my teacher noticed me on the verge of tears and told me to go and talk to administration about it. Administration then started calling people in the office for the next few days. At the end of the week four guys ended up getting punished for the incident.

Since they were quite popular around the school word spread quickly of what happened. That’s when people started to call me soft and say things such as “You say one thing and all of a sudden someone’s offended”

I wanted to tell people the reason as to why what they were doing was insensitive and racist, but all I got was “They didn’t actually say the word, so what’s the problem”

I argued that they were basically finding “soft core ways to say the n word” but people still thought I was overreacting/being too sensitive. Although my friends were in my side and agreed that I did the right thing, I’m still getting a lot of stuff for it. AITA?

:killing:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

small ghost posted:

I've had two cats now who went apeshit for corn, specifically the juice from tinned corn, no butter necessary. Something about corn must be hella tasty to cats.

My farm cat would inhale canned corn. He loving loved it. I sometimes gave him a bit as a treat but otherwise he had his kibble and whatever wild animals he killed. He would kill and eat an entire full grown rabbit, brains first. He also loved pop tart crusts and beef stew. He would sleep inside and hunt poo poo outside. Eat inside kibble and then kill huge fuckoff rats and rabbits to eat outside. He was fat as hell and super sweet.

The first night he didn't come home I called his name for hours and then cried for three days because I knew he died. 15 was a drat good age for any cat, much less an indoor/outdoor one.

farewell sweet Caspian, I'll drape you around my shoulders in the next life

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for reporting the boys in my science class despite them “not actually saying the word”

u/AmItheAsshole-ModTeam posted:

Your post has been removed.

Do not repost this without contacting the mods for approval, including edited versions. Reposting without approval will result in a ban.

This post violates Rule 12: This is Not a Debate Sub. Posts should focus strictly on actions in an interpersonal conflict, and not an individual's position on a broad social issue.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus Christ, Reddit. loving shameful

Poor kid. Been there, hope she makes it to bigger and better things.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA For Telling My Former Friend Turned SIL That I'm Never Going To Be Her Comfort Person Again?

quote:

I (25m) used to have the biggest crush on my childhood friend "Emily" (26f). As a teen I wasn't very assertive and a little awkward so I never made a move and just hoped that one day Emily would realize that I was the guy for her. The only person who I openly admitted my crush (although it was kind of obvious) to was my brother "Liam" (28m). He was much more assertive and confident than I was and would run through girls like water so I went to him for advice about Emily.

Given the situation at the time you can imagine my surprise when I caught Liam and Emily hooking up.

I know that she technically was never my girlfriend but it still sucked and I did feel betrayed. Turns out they hooked up at a party once and liked the encounter so much that they kept meeting up to do it when no one was around. I felt completely sick and basically just distanced myself from Emily after that, which could be really awkward because we had a lot of classes together and had the same shift at the part-time job we had. A job that Emily frequently depended on me to give her rides to.

I just wanted to remove Emily from my life completely but during the summer of our senior year she and Liam sat me and my parents down and explained that Emily had gotten pregnant and were planning on keeping the baby. My parents weren't happy while I just got up and locked myself in my room. All I could think was "Well crap, now she's never going to go away." I purposefully transferred to an Out-Of-State College so I wouldn't be home as much and lied about getting stuck in traffic when I missed Emily and Liam's wedding and I showed no interest in my niece "Daisy" (8f), although I still make the effort to be polite when I'm around them.

Recently, Emily's father has passed away and she's really going through it because despite him not being around she always desired a relationship. When we were kids I remember all those times I was a shoulder for Emily to cry on whenever she felt sad about her dad and I guess she was longing for that type of comfort from me and kept reaching out. One day I relented and let her vent but I maintained a silent and formal demeanor on the matter.

After spending about an hour crying I offered Emily some water and then she asked me why I was being so cold, how I know how much she needed a friend right now. I calmly yet firmly told her that we were just kids then and that if she wants that level of emotional intimacy then she needs to go to my brother, her husband, because I stopped being her comfort person a long time ago.

Emily cried even more, left, and has managed to send Liam, my parents, Emily's mom, and from mutual friends to call me up and tell me I'm heartless and sad for being so spiteful. I can honestly say that I am now over Emily but that doesn't mean I'm willing to be as close to her as I used to so AITA?

but OP is such a nice guy

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Mx. posted:

AITA For Telling My Former Friend Turned SIL That I'm Never Going To Be Her Comfort Person Again?

OP posted:

ETA: Had to step away and after looking at the comments and DMs I just wanted to be clear about somethings.

1. Not an Incel.

2. Did I exhibit some "Nice Guy" traits as a teenager? Yes. As an adult I now realize that Emily doesn't owe me a romantic relationship.

3. I was more angry at my brother than I was Emily. Because, you know, he was my brother and KNEW.

4. I don't see how me not taking an active role in the life of a child that I didn't make is me "punishing" someone. I say "Hello" and give gifts on Christmas and Holidays.

5. Again, Emily is married so I find it odd that she would seek out someone who ISN'T her husband for emotional support.

6. Yes, I did give my condolences when I found out about Emily's father because it was the polite thing to do. Then she started trying to call me to talk about it.

7. Emily and I haven't had an meaningful contact since high school partly because she was busy getting ready to be a mom and I was hurt and trying to get over her.

8. No, Liam and I aren't close anymore either.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for cancelling babysitting my cousin's kids when I got a last minute ticket to a concert I was dying to go to?

quote:

EDIT: Concert was in November. She asked me about 3 weeks before it to babysit. This is a past thing. I'm posting this because she's still guilting me about how she got "punished" by missing out because she "had to be a mom that night while you didn't have to because you don't have responsibilities".

My cousin Isabela (25) is a single mom to 7 year old girls. I (24F) often babysit for her for extra cash now the kids are out of diapers. Isabela has some regrets about being a young mom and guilts me a lot because we both got pregnant in high school but I chose not to continue my pregnancy and have gone to college & enjoyed my freedom.

Last November, she asked me to babysit my nieces (I know that’s not technically what they are to me but I call them they and they call me tía) because she wanted to go the BTS concert in Inglewood because her boyfriend bought her & his sister tickets. I really wanted to to but didn’t get tickets & couldn’t afford the resale costs. At about 12pm (~7 hours before the concert), my friend called and told me she managed the get face value tickets as her cousin & her girlfriend can’t go anymore. I called Isabela & told her that I’m sorry but I wouldn’t be able to babysit because I got a ticket to the concert. She said I needed to honor the commitment I made to babysit. I told Isabela all along I was still looking for a ticket & would go if I got one, but she said changing my plans the day of the show was unfair. I don’t think that’s fair because I wanted to go too and she knew I was still trying.

I told her that I understand her frustration but my plans have changed & she needs to make alternate arrangements & that for me babysitting has always been a “if I am free” & I am no longer free bc I can now to go to the show. She knew all along I was holding out hoping to get last minute tickets so I don’t think it was an ironclad commitment like she thinks it was, but she said I made a commitment to the children and was obligated to care for them. I said she is the only person obligated to care for them. Her boyfriend was working so couldn’t look after them.

Isabela started crying about how unfair it is that I have so much freedom & she always misses out on things because she’s a young mom. I did feel bad for Isabela but at the same time, I feel like missing out on things is part of what you accept of having children, while part of the reason I have chosen not to have children so young is because I don’t want to put a child’s needs ahead of my wants at this point in my life.

She ended up not being able to find a sitter & sold her ticket on twitter. Isabela tried to say I needed to find her another babysitter, but I said that’s her job as the mom, not mine, and I had a class to attend before quickly going home and getting ready for the show and leaving.

I love my nieces but I’d rather see a band I am obsessed with than babysit for them which I can do anytime & I think that’s my right as someone not their mom. BTS are on hiatus now and even if they were not, who knows how long it would have been, I lost my very good 3rd row tickets to their 2020 tour when Isabela didn't even know who they were. I didn’t choose to bring my nieces into the world & I only agreed to babysit when I thought I couldn’t go.

She’s still mad at me. AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mx. posted:

Seems like OP took a healthy stance on his distance to Emily