Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I went left and up the stairs into Gena's room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

All of the IZGC website's game pages now have info on who made each pick, and (almost) every game has a pdf manual link. Otacon is on a lot more pages too now, and I added a few other things around the place for fun

Awesome.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Definitely playing more Deep Fear when we do the rewind, this game is loving cool but I had no time for it

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee1B_dqLpCI

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

This game is really fun with the ROM hack

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

:negative:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

just load the save this christmas

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

That Little Demon posted:

just load the save this christmas

that was the plan lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm struggling to unlearn modern shooter controls, but Doom is way scarier when you can't see poo poo. I already panic fired at a barrel when I heard a grunt and blew myself up. You respawn with everything you go into the level with so the no saving isn't the end of the world.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

made it to e1m4 on UV last night before i passed out. i got used to the controls right away but the blurry low-res graphics and slow turning definitely add a layer of artificial difficulty. doomguy likes to get stuck on walls in this port too which is really annoying. aside from that i 'm actually impressed they got this to run on SNES at all, let alone with the full geometry from the original PC maps. apparently most other console ports from the era were based on the Atari Jaguar port and had slightly simplified areas in some of the levels

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

tmfc posted:

Apparently most other console ports from the era were based.

Agreed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tmfc posted:

apparently most other console ports from the era were based on the Atari Jaguar port and had slightly simplified areas in some of the levels
the jaguar port was done by the id guys themselves and they gave it to all the other console port dev teams to work with as a base

the snes port was done without id involvement and just kinda presented to them for approval once it was basically done, so they didn't have that stuff. which means as a result the snes port has stuff that the ports for more powerful consoles don't have, like bosses!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Kins posted:

the jaguar port was done by the id guys themselves and they gave it to all the other console port dev teams to work with as a base

the snes port was done without id involvement and just kinda presented to them for approval once it was basically done, so they didn't have that stuff. which means as a result the snes port has stuff that the ports for more powerful consoles don't have, like bosses!

this still isnt the whole story though, the id guys had to do the original port in like 2 weeks because the guy they hired took the money and ran lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Now that i think aboutnit i might be confusing that with the multiplayer, but i remember that they swore off ever porting a game themselves after how bad it was

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

this still isnt the whole story though, the id guys had to do the original port in like 2 weeks because the guy they hired took the money and ran lol
that was wolf3d on snes. they had to put developing the original pc version of doom on hold and crank it out to avoid getting sued by a very angry japanese publisher

trying to jack off posted:

Now that i think aboutnit i might be confusing that with the multiplayer, but i remember that they swore off ever porting a game themselves after how bad it was
that + dealing with nintendo's censorship stuff at the time made them swear nintendo consoles off entirely until the ds era

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Kins posted:

that was wolf3d on snes. they had to put developing the original pc version of doom on hold and crank it out to avoid getting sued by a very angry japanese publisher

lol, thats right

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

this person is named "Burger Bill" in masters of doom lol. they were under contract by interplay and realized anything they made would be owned by interplay

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wasn't the 3DO port made by one person in like a ridiculously short amount of time with no original source code

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're interested in reading about all the different doom ports, the wadazine did some coverage of lots of different ports starting from issue 10 https://wadazine.com/portofolio/

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Excuse me?

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

If you're interested in reading about all the different doom ports, the wadazine did some coverage of lots of different ports starting from issue 10 https://wadazine.com/portofolio/

whoa this is cool

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sub-Actuality posted:

whoa this is cool

the writing is really amateurish bc, we'll, it's all amateur fan creations. But the 90s gaming magazine aesthetic is awesome and they do great coverage of newstuff, highlight some glossed over older releases etc. It's cool

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
this is the way doom was meant to be played

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

even though its at like 8 fps on ipod nano resolution its still doom so its pretty good

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I can only play one stage at a time and then I need to take a 15 minute break

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mbt posted:

even though its at like 8 fps on ipod nano resolution its still doom so its pretty good

Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
yeah this is great because its like what if doom guy needed glasses and they broke so he doesn't know if he is shooting an enemy or a barrel