Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hempuli posted:

There are some quite nice Hell Was Full comics (I liked that beard one) but the punchlines seem very one-note to me. As a result of that and there seemingly being a lot of these, I don't quite get the appeal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i mean you did say you've been ill

Loss of taste is a pretty worrisome symptom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hempuli posted:

There are some quite nice Hell Was Full comics (I liked that beard one) but the punchlines seem very one-note to me. As a result of that and there seemingly being a lot of these, I don't quite get the appeal.

Well sure but it is the most beautiful note, played on the finest guitar

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
and also that guitar did horrible crimes! *wacky face*

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

and also that guitar did horrible crimes! *wacky face*

:hai:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I can't believe this sheer disrespect I'm getting here :mad:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hempuli posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

The Last Cupcakes 21

The Last Cupcakes 23

Since we're disrespecting your contributions, here's a question: what the hell is happening here. The action leading from one and through the other is just indecipherable to me

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

some plague rats posted:

Since we're disrespecting your contributions, here's a question: what the hell is happening here. The action leading from one and through the other is just indecipherable to me

The cat is falling upward due to Lyndon's magic. When the tongue is cut Klara and the cat fall back (since she was pulling on it) - this is enough to get the cat outside the door. The cat is still falling upward, however, and it's heavy enough that's it's slowly pulling Klara up along with it. (She could let go, but if the cat dies then Lyndon loses his magic and he and Audrey probably die too). Trixie runs outside to grab Klara and keep her from drifting off with the cat, thereby solving the problem forever.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hempuli posted:

I can't believe this sheer disrespect I'm getting here :mad:

I'd tell you to go to hell but it's full

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Maze posted:

The cat is falling upward due to Lyndon's magic. When the tongue is cut Klara and the cat fall back (since she was pulling on it) - this is enough to get the cat outside the door. The cat is still falling upward, however, and it's heavy enough that's it's slowly pulling Klara up along with it. (She could let go, but if the cat dies then Lyndon loses his magic and he and Audrey probably die too). Trixie runs outside to grab Klara and keep her from drifting off with the cat, thereby solving the problem forever.

ooooh okay I see it now! Thank you, I just could not puzzle it out, I'd forgotten about needing to keep it alive to stop Lyndon losing his magic and I couldn't work out why Klara was attached to it

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

The way Thorsby doesn't really depict motion and apart from a couple motion lines here and there things just kind of change position between panels doesn't really help with understanding the gravity shenanigans. But yeah, that's what's up here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
that sure was bolder

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

You know what, I think I'll post a little more of this. Time for us to go on a night out on the randan wae a WEEGIE WIZARD.

The next page is animated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0m4QbnS2c

I've never so quickly gone from 0 to "this author once read MSPA" as I did after clicking on that video.

Nothing about the subject matter or the art style would have clued me in, but the timing, pacing, and blocking of it screamed Problem Sleuth and Homestuck incredibly loudly. (At least, relative to what I'm familiar with, I stopped reading homestuck a couple years in.)

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Sep 21, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Oh cool, I didn’t know Junji Ito took commissions on deviantart

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

To understand Thorsby is in some way to become like Thorsby. A+ brain virus

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

forgot to add a tiny panel representing that instalment so i present the thinking eye(moji)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

I've never so quickly gone from 0 to "this author once read MSPA" as I did after clicking on that video.

Nothing about the subject matter or the art style would have clued me in, but the timing, pacing, and blocking of it screamed Problem Sleuth and Homestuck incredibly loudly. (At least, relative to what I'm familiar with, I stopped reading homestuck a couple years in.)

Considering these two videos on his youtube channel, you may be on to something there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcEBX74AWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArN_dERudNg

Anyway, I'm glad people are enjoying Malky Dungeon! A few disclaimers before we continue, however:
1) I'm not Scottish.
2) My understanding of the dialogue is based mainly on educated guesses.

Let's continue the randan (noun, Scottish. A rowdy celebration or drinking session. "he was fond of a randan"; "I went out on the randan with some of my old pals")

Emzedoh posted:

You know what, I think I'll post a little more of this. Time for us to go on a night out on the randan wae a WEEGIE WIZARD.

The next page is animated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0m4QbnS2c

From the author's commentary in 2020: "it is bitter to look at this page and the last one which I drew 8 years ago under a Tory Government with its racism and austerity and attacks on the most vulnerable helmed by a class that doesnae gie a gently caress whether you die and realise we are still going through much the same poo poo, its bleak as gently caress."
Yeah, I've thought about those last pages a fair bit in the ten odd years it's been since I first read them. "Look at them now faces contorted"...

And now we've been introduced to the main character. Wikipedia tells me that "Malky" is short for Malcolm, but also Glasgow slang for being slashed with a razor.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Sep 21, 2022

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

End of Volume "Verification Office's Conquests"
Time to get a bit sillier than usual.

New World crops acquired.

Eagle eyed readers will have noticed the Tomato Apostle here in the camp of outcasts in the last chapter, but they've been around since the dragon hunt in chapter 2, mentioned in the bonus pages.

Note the squid waifu in the back.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hempuli posted:

(Said dream also involved me finding books from Walter Moers I hadn't read previously; I wish these bits hadn't been dream :smith:)

I've had dreams where I found more Corto Maltese adventures in a library, so believe me, I feel you.

Edit: and I've heard of the human chair story from Japan before, so that is a welcome Junji Ito!

Edit edit: it's been a long while since I've been in Glasgow, but that was some pretty drat good poetry at the end of that last update, imho.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Sep 21, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Wikipedia tells me that "Malky" is short for Malcolm, but also Glasgow slang for being slashed with a razor.

why would you need slang for that

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Continuing the theme of the characters' youth

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Well sometimes you know a bloke named Malcolm and it would feel kind of cold to keep calling him by his full name... I kid. Glasgow used to be known as the murder capital of Europe. Google assures me that it's calmed down since, but I've never been.

Edit: stolen from urban dictionary
Malky
Originating in Glasgow / West Coast of Scotland, a term for slashing someone with a straight razor, usually across the face. Comes from the dubious rhyming slang of Malky (Malcolm) Fraser, Razor.

Has extended over the years to mean simply giving someone a 'doing' - beating them up - or a 'Glesga kiss' - a headbutt - and has also expanded throughout Scotland and into the North East of England.
"You wahnt malkied, ya ****?"
"You are headin for a malky, any mare o your p**h"

No idea why Scots are rhyming their slang on Australian prime ministers from the 70s.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Sep 21, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

The Last Cupcakes 20
The Last Cupcakes 21
The Last Cupcakes 22
The Last Cupcakes 23
The Last Cupcakes 24

The Last Cupcakes 25

The Last Cupcakes 26

The Last Cupcakes 27

The Last Cupcakes 28

Talking character deaths: 33
Deaths altogether: 70+
Undeaths (re-deaths?): 9+ (+5)
Lost cupcakes: 1

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

the slaughteraxing continues!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

forming
329-333

last time: michael got to the adversary, as narrated by a dismayingly incestuous family; mainyuvision began

nanshe was enki's daughter, and thus associated with general Smarts and also water and justice. gibil is associated with fire and crafts, so minerals make sense. belet-seri is a scribe of the underworld so slightly uncertain as to why that means surveillance networks, although it does show up in the Shadowyards mod for the game Starsector as an ECM/scanner frigate

so maybe there's something i'm missing there.

sisig is a dream god, and the justice for sisig sign is presumably because mainyu killed him a while back due to rage. i guess ashir is ashur/assur, local god of the citystate assur?

tell you what, the greco-roman pantheon's pretty straightforward compared to this lot. so much overlap and unclear portfolios

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, you need to differentiate between being slashed and being stabbed

(The latter term is 'chibbed' as in 'chibbed you ya c*nt' = I just stabbed you; I reckon that must make you feel quite bad)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

audrey :allears:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Samovar posted:

Well, you need to differentiate between being slashed and being stabbed

(The latter term is 'chibbed' as in 'chibbed you ya c*nt' = I just stabbed you; I reckon that must make you feel quite bad)

I wonder which Australian prime minister 'chibbed' is named after?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Emzedoh posted:

Anyway, I'm glad people are enjoying Malky Dungeon! A few disclaimers before we continue, however:
1) I'm not Scottish.
2) My understanding of the dialogue is based mainly on educated guesses.

I am Scottish and same. Glasgow is a land unto itself.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

strange seeing scottish media that doesn't prominently feature heroin

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

strange seeing scottish media that doesn't prominently feature heroin

Oh come on, Merida isn't the entirety of scottish media.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

There's a scene with cocaine in a couple pages, and we had the E-mergency earlier on, but yeah Malky Dungeon is mainly about the drinking.

Chas McGill posted:

I am Scottish and same. Glasgow is a land unto itself.

Huh, how about that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I need help from a physicist.
Klara us holding the reverse gravitated elusive artist but apparently it's heavier than her, so it pulls her up with it. They float upwards like the thing is a hot air balloon.
But here's a thing I'm not to sure about. Apparently, those two are drifting relatively slowly upwards. But wouldn't the physics basically check which one is heavier to get the direction and let the complete object fall at full acceleration in the primary direction? Maybe with a slight difference due to the weight of the air in the way.

Not nitpicking Thorsby. I'm just legitimately curious how such antigravity physics would work.
The way I understand it this would behave differently than a hot air balloon where it just swims on the air, because that falls faster than itself.

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Sep 21, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

basically she weighs almost exactly the same as the sad leopard, nearly to the gram, sufficient for air resistance to stop them falling upwards quickly. we have to assume the slow drift is terminal velocity

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

every time you notice something like that, a wizard did it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mx. posted:

every time you notice something like that, a wizard did it

Well yeah, we did just see Lyndon do it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

cant cook creole bream posted:

I need help from a physicist.
Klara us holding the reverse gravitated elusive artist but apparently it's heavier than her, so it pulls her up with it. They float upwards like the thing is a hot air balloon.
But here's a thing I'm not to sure about. Apparently, those two are drifting relatively slowly upwards. But wouldn't the physics basically check which one is heavier to get the direction and let the complete object fall at full acceleration in the primary direction? Maybe with a slight difference due to the weight of the air in the way.

Not nitpicking Thorsby. I'm just legitimately curious how such antigravity physics would work.
The way I understand it this would behave differently than a hot air balloon where it just swims on the air, because that falls faster than itself.
Acceleration due to gravity is independent* of an object's mass because the force is dependant on the mass but acceleration is proportional to the force but inversely proportional to mass. So in the equation the mass cancels out.

The painter is exerting a force proportional to its mass in one direction. Klara is exerting a force proportional to her mass in the opposite direction. They are attached to each other so the net force is slightly in the direction of the object of greater mass, but is acting on the combined masses. So you have a much smaller net force acting on a much larger total mass, so much smaller acceleration.

I'll maybe write up the formulas later when I'm not on my phone.

*a simplification because we're ignoring the forces exerted on the planet sized object but deal with it

e: a consequence of this is that the point of contact (Klara's arm/the painter's leg) is experiencing the full brunt of both these opposing forces. It would be like trying to hold herself and a full grown puma while hanging off a cliff by one arm. Our girl is strong.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 12:08 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

This is goddamn wonderful.
Love that psychedelia meltdown and splitting off the alters and a swirling of just everything going sideways.

Just a few more ounces of farce, eh?