Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I met a bunch of eu people from some former/current goons and ifs completely fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
found this in my imgur from 7 years ago

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Those items and 4/7/12 is good poo poo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

One of the guys in my old 5 stack was a big fan of Rapier KOTL...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sadly I feel like a lot of my games are decided by 2 things: Does the enemy team have a smurf, and do I have a carry that still plays the game according to 5 year old advice about avoiding fights for 40min. Maybe like 1 time out of 50 you get someone that's really efficient at farming and as soon as they feel they're done they end the game in the next 5 min. The rest of the time you end up with the guy that killed 300 creeps but he's behind all 3 enemy cores in net worth.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

they released the PA persona https://www.dota2.com/battlepass2022#PhantomAssassinPersona

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I really dislike alternate hero portraits, man...

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

tbh it just doesnt look very good at all lol

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

he runs like a league character

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There's also that, yea. Edgelord Nightelf Rogue, But Not In A Terrorblade Way isn't particularly my jam, but I could see people looking liking it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

reminds me of the necromancer from diablo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Personas stink.

edit: lol the run animation

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

what is the difference between a persona and an arcana?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bawfuls posted:

Persona makes them a kid or gender swaps.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I think Personas are basically just wildly new models, whereas Arcanas are essentially very elaborate skins that wouldn't require any "re-rigging" of the model.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

looks like poo poo. gas

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hell yeah wc3 type model and animation its extremely poggers

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
Regular PA is better imo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Yea I think Personas are basically just wildly new models, whereas Arcanas are essentially very elaborate skins that wouldn't require any "re-rigging" of the model.
isn't the ogre arcana like riding a chicken that shits out eggs? seems like a totally different animation

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Clitoris posted:

Regular PA is better imo

say her name swine

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

bawfuls posted:

Arcanas advance the plot of a hero (most of the older ones fail to do this and just look different), Personas are meant to be entirely different takes on a hero's concept, whether it's a "what-if" like kid Invoker or toy Pudge, or just an extension of their backstory like Anti-Mage's student or this anti-assassin Phantom Assassin.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

the plot? mortreds plot?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah they made a whole comic about it and everything. I'm not saying it's good, just that it's there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Personas suck even more now. I figured AM and PA were just gender swaps.

Fourth game and the win eludes me. Hit the biggest ravages of all time but doesn't matter too much when your void (with the arcana) doesn't know when or who to chrono.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hit the biggest ravages of all time but doesn't matter too much when your void (with the arcana) doesn't know when or who to chrono.

My first game of the day had a Drow go Null Talisman, Midas, Yasha, Aghs.

So yea. That's DOTA some times.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity, does no-bling still work? (or if not, is there a replacement?) Every time I think about booting dota back up I remember how many loving hats there are now and how poo poo 95% of them are, and how they just render heroes completely unrecognizable.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Sab669 posted:

My first game of the day had a Drow go Null Talisman, Midas, Yasha, Aghs.

So yea. That's DOTA some times.

There is a magic-focused Drow build I know about but that uh is not quite it. It's more intended for a 4 build that uses the shard and Ice Arrows on autocast to pump out damage with your mana pool supported by a yasha/kaya while taking gust talents to keep the enemy from jumping your backline and silenced (and visible).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

There is a magic-focused Drow build I know about but that uh is not quite it. It's more intended for a 4 build that uses the shard and Ice Arrows on autocast to pump out damage with your mana pool supported by a yasha/kaya while taking gust talents to keep the enemy from jumping your backline and silenced (and visible).

I've seen this once, I think. It was weird.

I was in a Divine game last night where our Tiny built the current aghs, and I think it was the first time I saw it actually used. It feels really underwhelming, am I wrong?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nichael posted:

I've seen this once, I think. It was weird.

I was in a Divine game last night where our Tiny built the current aghs, and I think it was the first time I saw it actually used. It feels really underwhelming, am I wrong?

sabre blink agh was a topson thing

it may have been sabre agh blink idk but those were the big things and its usefulness is based on getting it quick, getting levels, and blowing up idiots with trees

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Tiny aghs is solid but Tiny is already so strong that you very rarely need tree volley to win, imo

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

sabre blink agh was a topson thing

it may have been sabre agh blink idk but those were the big things and its usefulness is based on getting it quick, getting levels, and blowing up idiots with trees

People mimicking topson in crusader is hilarious and frustrating depending on if they're on your team or not.

I vsed two mid omnis very recently due to topson playing it and they both got dumpstered by my mid giving my team some easy wins

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Tiny aghs is built most games on mid tiny, you want to get daedalus afterward in an ideal game

Looks like sometimes a forced bkb or silver edge instead

https://www.dota2protracker.com/hero/Tiny

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
now 0-9 on Lion. but at least I've plummeted out of Crusader and my winrate will have to improve.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

now 0-9 on Lion. but at least I've plummeted out of Crusader and my winrate will have to improve.

Unless you're trying to do cavern crawl, don't pick Lion. You would think a hero with a stun and a hex would always be at least decent but it's not really the case.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
Tiny Aghs if Roshan is dropping it maybe, or the other team picked a bunch of low armor low mobility heros. Otherwise you'd be better off most of the way to AC or silver edge

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
why does all pick sometimes unpick a hero after its been locked in? very annoying to have you hero unpicked for you after you press the big LOCK IN button

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

why does all pick sometimes unpick a hero after its been locked in? very annoying to have you hero unpicked for you after you press the big LOCK IN button

Someone on the other team picked the same hero, causing that hero to be banned.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Check out Ability Arena on the arcade if you liked either/both of Ability Draft and Auto Chess. It’s made by sunsfan and jenkins and it’s good fun

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unless you're trying to do cavern crawl, don't pick Lion. You would think a hero with a stun and a hex would always be at least decent but it's not really the case.

Lion is super situational these days. He's an alternative to shaman, but shaman gives you wave clear and massive building damage on top of all the disables. With lion, you blow up one hero to start a team fight then flee hoping your team can handle the rest 4v4, which doesn't really give your team any advantage for the next 10~ seconds while your shits on cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I had some guy on my team with a Chinese name pick safelane Silencer and I remember thinking it would never work. I don't know if he was a smurf or just having the game of his life but he got 30 kills and stole 161 int in less than 45min.