Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did anyone ever like the Kazon? Even among people who love Voyager, I don't think I've heard anyone say a good thing about the drat Kazon.

Ehhh, the original concept had a few possibilities ("rival street gangs in space"), but they came off as a crappy knockoff version of Klingons, and they never really came into their own. Even the writers soon realized they'd blown it:

Jeri Taylor, 1996 posted:

The Kazon have never been particularly interesting as adversaries, and we just did them and did them and did them and did them. It created the curious implication that we are standing still in space, when our franchise is that we are going at incredible speeds toward the Alpha Quadrant – we keep running into the same people over and over again! It was just an oddity, and I don't think the Kazon have served us well. And [...] it is my intention to leave them behind and to find new and I hope more interesting aliens.

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's offputting that in Death Wish Voyager episode the Q have purple lips. Its a strange make up decision.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Seska and how she had to make increasingly poor decisions that got her involved way too deep with the Kazon, and how she took their incredibly patriarchal anti-woman society and was basically running it within a month.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Powered Descent posted:

Ehhh, the original concept had a few possibilities ("rival street gangs in space"), but they came off as a crappy knockoff version of Klingons, and they never really came into their own. Even the writers soon realized they'd blown it:

Source

Like everything else in Voyager, the Kazon ran headfirst into the tension between doing something interesting and still being able to write bog-standard TNG episodes.

Low-tech, lovely, rival space gangs could have had some cool possibilities, but not as generic adversaries. Instead of sticking with the idea that Voyager wildly outclassed these dudes and writing to that fact, the writers just kept coming up with increasingly stupid ways for Voyager to get its rear end kicked by the dumbest species in the quadrant.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They should have just let Tom Paris leave Voyager

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Kill Tom Paris and immediately replace him with Nick Locarno next episode. No one acknowledges.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So I guess for this episode Neelix has been doing a morning show and now considers himself a reporter and is now investigating secret signals. Neelix, the cook. He's investigating things.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

he's the morale officer

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hollismason posted:

They should have just let Tom Paris leave Voyager

He did and that's how we ended up with space slug babies

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hate this so goddamn much

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just imagine the Voyager series where all scifi TV wasn't run by idiots and cowards. Like imagine Voyager but with Farscape's production team.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

jeeves posted:

Should be Sisko TBH

Should be Sisko's dad, who only got with his wife because she was being brain controlled by extradimensional aliens and she immediately left him after they released control.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I feel seen.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Like everything else in Voyager, the Kazon ran headfirst into the tension between doing something interesting and still being able to write bog-standard TNG episodes.

Low-tech, lovely, rival space gangs could have had some cool possibilities, but not as generic adversaries. Instead of sticking with the idea that Voyager wildly outclassed these dudes and writing to that fact, the writers just kept coming up with increasingly stupid ways for Voyager to get its rear end kicked by the dumbest species in the quadrant.
Even lower-tech idiots who don't know how to replicate water could have been a credible threat to even less developed races in that sector of the delta quadrant, and possibly even to a single Voyager cut off from federation supplies and support, but they did it in the absolute worst way possible (those incredibly stupid ways how Voyager keeps getting its rear end kicked across two seasons) so the budget Klingons quickly went from funny to irritating to me.

I just looked them up on Memory Alpha again just to see what sort of ships they got to use and :laffo:...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hollismason posted:

So I guess for this episode Neelix has been doing a morning show and now considers himself a reporter and is now investigating secret signals. Neelix, the cook. He's investigating things.

I'd rather watch Krytie TV

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Neelix as Alex Jones

The DEMONS running this ship are trying to silence me people! You think this *shows photo* you think that's Janeway? You are LYING to yourself, that's a liquid metal clone.

*balls fists, roars into the ceiling*

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like Seska and how she had to make increasingly poor decisions that got her involved way too deep with the Kazon, and how she took their incredibly patriarchal anti-woman society and was basically running it within a month.

Seska’s a bright spot on this show. I forgot how quickly things ramped up with her. This is my first rewatch of the show so in my mind I was thinking she was on the show much longer before her heel turn/reveal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Voyager had to be (kind of) bad so that DS9 could be good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Garak would be astonished at how much more effective an interrogator Neelix is than himself. Five minutes alone with Neelix and you’ll be giving away all your military’s top secret information just to make him stop.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No no, commander. Just one more bowl of leola root to finish and then we can be done with all of this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Certainly was a long day in the kitchen. I'ma just pop these shoes and socks off. Hope you don't mind a little... Talaxian foot odor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

From this moment you will enjoy no privilege of rank or person. You will be known only as "friend"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Source

Most to all of Voyager's issues are solved by one more pass and this is also one.

Want to use the Kazon? Well stretch them out geographically. Turns out that there's some warp anomaly (make it related to the Caretaker's Array doing something between other, similar arrays?). This optimized path home makes it, like, a 20 or 30 year trip. But, the expressway has Kazon strung along it because they can travel faster along it. They're highwaymen now and they shake down everyone that's trying to use the route.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's weird that there's like defined Borg space in the DQ, why haven't they taken over the whole quadrant yet, it's not like there are any badass empires over there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Why would they care about territory?

I always took "Borg space" to mean areas where the Borg are known to be active so if you know what's good for you, you stay far away from there.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sash! posted:

Most to all of Voyager's issues are solved by one more pass and this is also one.

Want to use the Kazon? Well stretch them out geographically. Turns out that there's some warp anomaly (make it related to the Caretaker's Array doing something between other, similar arrays?). This optimized path home makes it, like, a 20 or 30 year trip. But, the expressway has Kazon strung along it because they can travel faster along it. They're highwaymen now and they shake down everyone that's trying to use the route.

Another angle, the Caretakers are an emipre falling apart and the Kazon are the remnants of their imperialism.

I mean, Voyager had some interesting recurring villians that they never could get quite right. I think the Viidians were good and the Hirogen had their moments. They never just went to think them through more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Why would they care about territory?

I always took "Borg space" to mean areas where the Borg are known to be active so if you know what's good for you, you stay far away from there.

Well I don't mean borders, I just mean I would assume all territory in the DQ would belong to the Borg as a consequence of, you know, the way they are. Like who is opposing them besides Species 8472, and I don't think that war had been going on very long anyway

Mooseontheloose posted:

Another angle, the Caretakers are an emipre falling apart and the Kazon are the remnants of their imperialism.

I mean, Voyager had some interesting recurring villians that they never could get quite right. I think the Viidians were good and the Hirogen had their moments. They never just went to think them through more.

The Vidians were good, though their makeup was so well done that they were hard to look at. But yeah, creepy body horror guys is fairly fresh for Star Trek.

Then there's the episode with Charlie Rocket, you know the one where the only difference between his species and humans is that they carry around ancestral space herpes that makes you down bad for 3 weeks if you catch it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Borg completely ignore you unless you're a threat to them or interesting enough to assimilate, so by implication everyone surviving in the Delta Quadrant is too stupid to be worth assimilating. :v:

But really, space is big and we have no idea how long the Borg have been around. A few centuries isn't all that much time given the scale of space. There's also never been an implication they're interested in conquest as a goal in and of itself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Borg space is shark-infested waters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its the territorial equivalent of how they let you wander around their ships

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m on Threshold.

Also got me thinking about how the entire concept of the Spore Drive trivializes the entire premise of Voyager.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

davidspackage posted:

Neelix as Alex Jones

"I have the PADDs, folks. I have seen the Cardassian optolythic data rods, folks."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Wasn't this already their deal? Not the Caretakers, but some other rear end in a top hat species that had them enslaved and then got overthrown?

Interesting concepts don't work if your writers suck and don't use them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, the "Trabe" which sounds dirty to me for some reason

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just testing the movie making features of my new phone.

https://twitter.com/tomenheimer/status/1572713608236404739

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Neelix as Alex Jones

The DEMONS running this ship are trying to silence me people! You think this *shows photo* you think that's Janeway? You are LYING to yourself, that's a liquid metal clone.

*balls fists, roars into the ceiling*

tell me there isn't a voyager episode where the crew lose their memories after eating a big bowl of neelix chili

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One of the few good things that Voyager did with the Borg is showing that they're busy working on a bunch of crazy projects. The Borg aren't interested in assimilating Neelix because they're busy working on their space superhighway network, or invading subspace domains, or inventing a new kind of atom so cool that it kills if you look at it. The Borg have unlocked sandbox mode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

remember when Data and Geordi got bored and attached a random alien doohicky to the warp core and the only thing it did was shoot Data

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

The Borg completely ignore you unless you're a threat to them or interesting enough to assimilate, so by implication everyone surviving in the Delta Quadrant is too stupid to be worth assimilating. :v:

But really, space is big and we have no idea how long the Borg have been around. A few centuries isn't all that much time given the scale of space. There's also never been an implication they're interested in conquest as a goal in and of itself.
Yes and Seven straight up says at one point that the Kazon were unworthy of assimilation, which I feel like was some writer's underhanded burn on the creators of the Kazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

remember when Data and Geordi got bored and attached a random alien doohicky to the warp core and the only thing it did was shoot Data

I can't tell if that's a real thing that happened in TNG described poorly or if you're just making poo poo up.