Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

War and Pieces posted:

wars also help you to not be an incel if your side wins

Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mameluke posted:

How was premodern history not riddled with incels when one incest-riddled wimp could claim forty thousand women because of "the mandate of heaven" or somesuch other stupid bullshit

higher male mortality rates and the availability of celibate life choices kept the sex ratio from getting too bad and there was always war to even things out if there got to be too many men

this is a really essential and underappreciated aspect of polygynous societies imo the flds is straight up unsustainable without these factors and they have to ditch male kids by the truckload ironically in practice polygyny is probably more misandrist than misogynist because loving over the majority of the male population for the benefit of a few elite males is such a necessary prerequisite

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

quote:

First of all there is the idea that men who behave in a specific way are in a competition for love and sex.

i can never figure out wtf incelsplainers think is controversial about this concept like have they never seen a dating app do they think humans arent animals and dont do mating rituals is it their opinion that anyone whos in a loving relationship stumbles into it by accident while doing other things

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
wow look at these dumbass incels with their crazy medieval beliefs about how men compete with each other for dates if they werent idiots theyd know that women select their partners through completely objective standards that have nothing to do with male behavior

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

sociobiology and marxism are both true and drive people insane

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think the best book I've read about polygyny in comparison to monogamy is Marrying Well by Kristin Mann. It concerns a pretty narrow slice of history - Colonial Lagos - but that is a strength, since you can see a pretty direct comparison between two otherwise very similar subcultures and how they weigh and argue about monogamy vs polygyny.

A thing that is really worth keeping in mind is that even if the emperor of China has hundreds or more women in the harem, its a pretty small demographic effect. There's a much more substantial demographic effect in areas where polygyny is practiced by wider swaths of society, like any rich rear end in a top hat having 4 wives in a lot of countries. But even then the demographic effect is usually not that massive since there's not actually that many rich guys.

And really even societies that are notionally monogamous will still end up with this trend if income inequality is severe enough. Do you really think rich American and French jackasses don't have half a dozen mistresses?

Anyway "incels" in our specific sense of guys who don't get laid and blame women for that and are resentful of men who get laid and then shoot up schools does appear to be culturally local to the modern west, but there's ample demonstration that it has a continuous tradition in Western philosophy going back to at least the middle ages and there's a pretty well worn trope (I don't know if its actually SUBSTANTIAL mind you just repeated) that even without any complicated ideology, sexually frustrated young men are more violent than less sexually frustrated young men ergo polygynous societies are more violent than monogamous societies, but again in one of the few cases where there's decent side-by-side that didn't really appear in the evidence and it seems more like a just-so story made by colonialists to make themselves come across as more enlightened and rational.

Some Guy TT posted:

wow look at these dumbass incels with their crazy medieval beliefs about how men compete with each other for dates if they werent idiots theyd know that women select their partners through completely objective standards that have nothing to do with male behavior

did you have a stroke on being exposed to leftist thoughts about sexuality for the first time or something???

Tulip has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Sep 21, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tulip posted:

And really even societies that are notionally monogamous will still end up with this trend if income inequality is severe enough. Do you really think rich American and French jackasses don't have half a dozen mistresses?

this is what really irritates me about the tone of stuff like that article i quoted is that theres a strong moralist element at play that incels are just mad because women who are extremely smart and cool only choose objectively awesome partners and like have you ever met a guy whos had lots of sex partners theyre literally loving assholes

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
efb

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tulip posted:

did you have a stroke on being exposed to leftist thoughts about sexuality for the first time or something???

what exactly do you think is leftist about the idea that misogyny only exists when women are given too much freedom

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly do you think is leftist about the idea that misogyny only exists when women are given too much freedom

I think you have profoundly misread Dr Janega. She doesn't really go into detail in that article b/c AFAIK her view on the question of "what should romantic relations be like" is basically better summarized in Engels' On the Origin of the Family

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
what romantic relations actually are and what they should be like are two very different ideas and the article is making it sound as if incels just pulled these crazy ideas out of the ether of white supremacy and not that they were informed by real world experiences

like even if were limiting this discussion purely to the scope of the thread i dont see how anyone can seriously argue that capellanus and the ideals of courtly love were misogynist but that the main alternative idea of women literally being property isnt

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

this is what really irritates me about the tone of stuff like that article i quoted is that theres a strong moralist element at play that incels are just mad because women who are extremely smart and cool only choose objectively awesome partners and like have you ever met a guy whos had lots of sex partners theyre literally loving assholes
i don't think it's a given that they're having anal sex just because they have a lot of partners

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
it is so funny how extremely online incels and feminists are incapable of accepting that straight women are attracted to attractive men

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

War and Pieces posted:

it is so funny how extremely online incels and feminists are incapable of accepting that straight women are attracted to attractive men
isn't the whole idea with any kind of incels that they are perfectly aware that straight women are attracted to attractive men, they're just extremely mad about not being attractive themselves. also possibly not aware what is actually attractive to straight women.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Also they think that 90% of women are having sex with the most attractive 10% of men. Real surveys say that it's more like 80% of straight women are having sex with 70% of men.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Guy TT posted:

what romantic relations actually are and what they should be like are two very different ideas and the article is making it sound as if incels just pulled these crazy ideas out of the ether of white supremacy and not that they were informed by real world experiences

like even if were limiting this discussion purely to the scope of the thread i dont see how anyone can seriously argue that capellanus and the ideals of courtly love were misogynist but that the main alternative idea of women literally being property isnt

I think if you want to engage with leftists on these issues you'd get more bang for your buck by reading published works by leftists on romance and gender. I mentioned Engels, but if you want a much shorter though less representative sample there's Badiou's In Praise of Love or hooks' All About Love.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

isn't the whole idea with any kind of incels that they are perfectly aware that straight women are attracted to attractive men, they're just extremely mad about not being attractive themselves. also possibly not aware what is actually attractive to straight women.

If we're talking about 21st century incels I'd honestly say that its deeper than that. They're ultimately fascists who just have a particular fixation on women's lib, and that is to say that the problem is not just that women aren't loving them, but that women have any agency over who they gently caress at all. For that matter, based on their proposed solutions, they object to themselves being granted any agency. Like all fascists, they desire a world free of subjects, where every person is an object properly filed in its rightful location.

To quote a Nazi quoted in The True Believer, they wish to be "free from freedom."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tulip posted:

I think if you want to engage with leftists on these issues you'd get more bang for your buck by reading published works by leftists on romance and gender. I mentioned Engels, but if you want a much shorter though less representative sample there's Badiou's In Praise of Love or hooks' All About Love.

none of these are useful for the immediate subject under discussion because they predate the incel movement

now you could make the argument that theyre relevant in the sense that women in general have moved away from the romantic feminine ideal discussed in these books to embrace the more cynical masculine ideal also discussed in these books and that this is the real root cause of the incel movement is women treating men the same lovely way men have always treated women

but thats really not an argument that can be plausibly drawn from the original offending article because the author clearly seems to believe that its good that incels are being told to gently caress off because theyre bad people who deserve it and women when given free agency in romantic relationships dont make bad choices

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Some Guy TT posted:

but thats really not an argument that can be plausibly drawn from the original offending article because the author clearly seems to believe that its good that incels are being told to gently caress off because theyre bad people who deserve it and women when given free agency in romantic relationships dont make bad choices

they’re right OP

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

what if the 40,000 chicks all just independently wanted to bone the Emperor bc he was such a cool chill dude

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Some Guy TT posted:

none of these are useful for the immediate subject under discussion because they predate the incel movement
okay, well then the immediate subject under discussion can be moved to the modern history thread. :agesilaus:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

the pre-modern history thread, where we debate like the philosophers of old.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Guy TT posted:

They're relevant because you've so thoroughly misunderstood the article in question that I genuinely do not know where to begin other than to point you to some introductory texts about how Marxists view sexual and romantic relations. It really truly seems that you have not encountered, or at least not actually ever engaged with, a left wing viewpoint on sexual and romantic relationships, and I personally am not a good enough teacher to walk you through those in a better manner than the already-existing books of theory on the subject.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

quote:

Could these guys just cultivate a nice life, learn to be kind, and get laid through being an interesting person who is genuinely interested in and kind to others? Of course. But we’re going to need to start telling men earlier that women are real humans in their own right, and do a better job of dismantling the system that tells them genuine human interaction is a secondary consideration first.

how is this marxism this is the exact same moralistic garbage you can read in any lovely advice column

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

some guy tt is chinpilled

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the reason i dislike this thinking is that it very naively presupposes that incels have never been exposed to these ideas and could learn to be sexually successful men if they would only internalize feminist messaging but in the real world their entire worldview stems from the fact that they used to believe in the value of being a nice guy and concluded based on negative real world experience that this ideology is a lie and you dont get laid by being nice

nitpicking the meaning of the word nice is like the single least most convincing approach you could take with them because you just end up playing a rhetorical game of no true niceman where any seemingly nice guy who isnt getting laid is suffering from some kind of moral defect which mysteriously doesnt seem to impact the ability of outright misogynists and abusers to get laid

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Also I think most of the time it has nothing to do with how nice they are and is instead because they don't actually try. They either don't bother doing anything to try to meet women or try it once and immediately decide that society is hosed when it doesn't immediately work.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

if their on tinder like most you people or even Grindr then they are trying to meet sexual partners in perhaps the most brutal and humiliating way possible

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i would simply not use tinder, and just grab another online dating service that has a decent number of people in ur area on it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Guy TT posted:

how is this marxism this is the exact same moralistic garbage you can read in any lovely advice column

Some Guy TT posted:

the reason i dislike this thinking is that it very naively presupposes that incels have never been exposed to these ideas and could learn to be sexually successful men if they would only internalize feminist messaging but in the real world their entire worldview stems from the fact that they used to believe in the value of being a nice guy and concluded based on negative real world experience that this ideology is a lie and you dont get laid by being nice

nitpicking the meaning of the word nice is like the single least most convincing approach you could take with them because you just end up playing a rhetorical game of no true niceman where any seemingly nice guy who isnt getting laid is suffering from some kind of moral defect which mysteriously doesnt seem to impact the ability of outright misogynists and abusers to get laid

I gotta say that when you walk into the leftist shitposting subforum and repeatedly say "brownshirts are smarter than Marxists" it doesn't leave the impression that you're very socially astute.

Agean90 posted:

Also I think most of the time it has nothing to do with how nice they are and is instead because they don't actually try. They either don't bother doing anything to try to meet women or try it once and immediately decide that society is hosed when it doesn't immediately work.

Yeah we're seeing something of a demonstration of that here: the incel mind is not arguing with actual experiences or data but instead with what it wishes that data was in order to justify bitterness mixed with self-righteousness.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
you havent actually offered any data to support your argument at all come to think of it im not even sure what your argument is all youve done is told me to read books that predate the incel movement to understand why the incel movement exists

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Guy TT posted:

you havent actually offered any data to support your argument at all come to think of it im not even sure what your argument is all youve done is told me to read books that predate the incel movement to understand why the incel movement exists

That isn't what I've said.

What I've said is that your interpretation of Janega's article fully fails to consider even the basic premises that she is arguing from, and you've then been extremely confused about what her not very complicated argument is and then gotten angry and defended brownshirts.

It's not an issue of data anyway, since from everything I can tell you're lacking the theoretical background that leftists are working from. The ways in which a leftist like Janega would use that data are not going to be coherent to you without understanding the theory she's working from, and its not a theory she explains in any explicit detail in her work because she's assuming (as I was) that her audience has at least a passing familiarity with how leftists as a community discuss and understand romantic relationships.

To summarize: the interpretation that you've advanced of Janega's article is completely disconnected from her actual stances, I do not have the hubris to think that I can write or explain the theoretical context better than Engels.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

have you tried posting more in the fitness thread op

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tulip posted:

What I've said is that your interpretation of Janega's article fully fails to consider even the basic premises that she is arguing from, and you've then been extremely confused about what her not very complicated argument is and then gotten angry and defended brownshirts.

you seem to be under the impression that understanding why brownshirts have the beliefs that they do is tantamount to defending them

i should perhaps not be surprised by this since you also seem to think that the best way to talk to brownshirts is to refuse to explain the premise of your argument

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

since when did leftists have a party line on love and romance the spectrum extends all the way from 200 person polycules with shared custody to transhuman asexual reproduction and everything in between

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gently caress off with this current events poo poo

the real question: which pre-modern historical figure was the biggest piece of poo poo "nice guy"

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
henry viii

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
trotsky

e: oh uh... napoleon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jazerus posted:

the real question: which pre-modern historical figure was the biggest piece of poo poo "nice guy"

most Nice guys are pretty lovely. beach towns attract some real characters and france is no exception

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jazerus posted:

liu bei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

:hmmyes: