Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

pseudorandom name posted:

Graphics tab in winecfg.

It doesn't actually work. I tried last week, and found a 5 year old open bug report on the Wine site that mentioned that tab was buggy and non-functional in some cases (like mine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

ColdPie posted:

Please report that admin thing in the bug tracker.

There's apparently a runas.exe thing that ships with Wine mentioned on some dusty Wiki pages and bug reports to be able to run things as a regular user, but none of the modern Wine runtimes ship it, to the point that not even the Bottles dev has any idea how to implement it in their GUI: https://github.com/bottlesdevs/Bottles/issues/202

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Welp, think my single cable dream may be dead. Tried a Lenovo universal USB c dock, same deal; USB ports all work but no display from HDMI. Weird thing is xrandr -q sees the display, fwupdmgr sees the dock (though no update available), and I know the ports do DP alt mode (get display using a USBC to display port cable directly attached).

Used the USBC cable they included in box too, so don't think it's the cable.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe something like this that has DP out? https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Docking-Station-Displayport-Matebook/dp/B08SC432PX Haven't used it myself, but it talks a better game on video out than most generic USB C hubs.

E: Just realized that doesn't have a PD input. It really is a "USB C Displayport HDMI adapter" rather than a modern USB C hub that will also distribute power. But searching for a USB C hub with DP out may be worth it?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 17, 2022

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Both docks have/had DP out, also didn't work. Found this in logs though, so probably/maybe yet another 680m problem and not the docks at all:

Sep 18 10:29:21 fedora kernel: amdgpu 0000:08:00.0: [drm] *ERROR* no VCPI for [MST PORT:0000000087a9fafc] found in mst state 0000000058d9375f

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I'm thinking about switching out windows for Linux. I've been planning on doing this since I tried windows 11 but I figure it might be better to just bite the bullet now rather than when my hand is forced.

Problem is, I got no clue about the current landscape when it comes to linux on the desktop. At work I deal with debian and redhat servers and honestly they seem interchangeable to me. Last time I used linux on the desktop I just used ubuntu because it seemed to work out of the box without too much hassle. Is this still the case or should I consider something else?

The only thing I'm worried about when it comes to linux is that my cameras software doesn't have a native linux version but I'll still have my ms surface so eh.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ubuntu is still the "I don't want to think about this too much" option. Or Fedora, if you want rpm instead of deb. If you have opinions on these things, that is.

The most relevant decision is your choice of desktop environment imo. I'm a KDE Plasma person, and I actively hate the default DEs of Fedora and Ubuntu.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your choice of GPU may influence your choice of distro. If it's Nvidia you'll need one that's relatively up to date in packaging the proprietary drivers. If it's AMD doesn't matter.

Pop_os! and EndeavourOS both had live installs with up to date drivers when I was testing them out relatively recently, others will too. Some distros required passing nomodeset on the grub command line to init a 3080 during the install but were fine after the install.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah I'm running a 3080 right now, so that's good to know!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

organburner posted:

Yeah I'm running a 3080 right now, so that's good to know!
My 3070 works out of the box for me with Pop!_OS. Its great as a guy who grew up with GUI Windows with that implied level of tech skill. The only thing im really missing is Xbox Gamepass but everything else on steam runs with no/minimal issues. been running it almost exclusively since this thread got created.

Apparently competitive games (easy anticheat) and MMO games with launchers can be problematic but I don't play those.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Mint is my go-to these days for desktop Linux. Clean desktop experience mostly and everything just works, and since it's Ubuntu at its core there's plenty of documentation/guides around.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

organburner posted:

I'm thinking about switching out windows for Linux. I've been planning on doing this since I tried windows 11 but I figure it might be better to just bite the bullet now rather than when my hand is forced.

Problem is, I got no clue about the current landscape when it comes to linux on the desktop. At work I deal with debian and redhat servers and honestly they seem interchangeable to me. Last time I used linux on the desktop I just used ubuntu because it seemed to work out of the box without too much hassle. Is this still the case or should I consider something else?

I think the big question is what type of hassle are you most looking to avoid?

I made the same decision to switch back in May, for much the same reason. For my distro I chose manjaro (arch for babbies), and it's actually worked out pretty well for me. That doesn't mean that it's been problem free: poo poo has occasionally broken and I've learned a lot while figuring out why it's broken. But things have been stable, my hardware all works well, and the problems haven't been huge.

The rolling release & fairly stripped-down style of something like arch suits me pretty well I find. I don't have to deal with flatpaks or multiple layers of interpolation between me and the 'real' OS. Arch has great wikis that are written for and by people who want to fix things with a wrench. OTOH I haven't been using it that long, maybe in 2 years my OS will be hosed by the cumulative weight of small cruft.

In the opposite direction, there are a couple people ITT including the OP who are big fans of Fedora Silverblue and the immutable OS concept. Install nothing to /, everything in flatpaks and toolboxes, greater separation of root and userspace. I can see why they really like this idea: no matter what the core of your OS is a solid rock that nothing touches.

I feel like both of these 2 extremes have something to recommend themselves over the more normal ubuntu & derivatives (mint / pop).

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Mostly I just don't want to have to install every single thing from scratch like drivers and a gui etc, that's what I mean by hassle. Last time I installed ubuntu it just worked except some fuckery with GPU's (it was a laptop with a 1050)

I'm aware there will probably be more work than on a windows machine but that's something I'm willing to risk to be honest.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been gaming for a full year exclusively on debian 11 now, and apart from the obvious issues (mostly just anti-cheat, really), the only real problem i've had was with a sennheiser gaming headset where i had to patch the usb sound module due to some glitches on the newest firmware on it, but that's also been upstreamed so it's fixed. also i got rid of said headset because it was bad it was too small for my head and giving me headaches. between the lovely usb sound firmware and this, it's first and last ~gaming~ headset i'll ever buy jfc :v:

i'm using AMD, but as far as i can tell, nvidia drivers are right there in backports so it's probably not an issue either?

as far as graphics go, aside from having to enable VRR in the xorg config manually by adding a single line to a file, everything else has just worked without any tinkering.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Other thing to consider is how new all your hardware is. If you're using a bunch of new hardware you might look to be further towards the up to date side on the stability vs up to date continuum.

If you're running alder lake with e cores maybe look closer at Fedora or Manjaro (think Intel added scheduling enhancements in 5.17 or 5.18?)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

organburner posted:

Mostly I just don't want to have to install every single thing from scratch like drivers and a gui etc, that's what I mean by hassle. Last time I installed ubuntu it just worked except some fuckery with GPU's (it was a laptop with a 1050)

Ok, so we've ruled out slackware and gentoo (and maybe also standard arch if the installer not having a gui counts).

Almost every distro still comes with Nouveau for nvidia by default, but installing the non-free is pretty simple almost everywhere. Pop_OS AFAIK is the only one that ships with the nvidia proprietary driver by default. Laptops with hybrid graphics can still require some fuckery on any distro, but are a good reason to go with Pop, Mint, or Ubuntu.

A lot of people are less enthusiastic about Ububtu on the desktop these days, because they've gone nuts for yet another Ubuntu-only tech. This time it's Snap, a proprietary app-sandboxing system like flatpak.

I feel like right now deciding on x11 vs wayland might actually be a bigger deal for desktop use than the distro itself.

Truga posted:

it's first and last ~gaming~ headset i'll ever buy jfc :v:

gaming headsets suck, buy a pair of good headphones + a modmic or modmic knockoff

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Klyith posted:

I feel like right now deciding on x11 vs wayland might actually be a bigger deal for desktop use than the distro itself.

I have been hearing about this for years. Is the situation sorted and Wayland finally the way forward and stable enough for everyday use?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Saoshyant posted:

I have been hearing about this for years. Is the situation sorted and Wayland finally the way forward and stable enough for everyday use?

If you're fine with using KDE or GNOME then yeah Wayland works fine. Those are the only major desktop environments that support it, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

gaming headsets suck, buy a pair of good headphones + a modmic or modmic knockoff

yeah i'm back on my comfy, simple RF bullshit with a modmic now and it's so much better
if anyone is curious: https://global.sennheiser-hearing.com/products/rs-127-8-refurbished

insanely cheap for the quality (my older model of the same design lasted me 15 full years). sound isn't always 100% perfect since it's analog radio, but it's more than good enough for me and has good reception through a couple walls unlike everything else i've tried so i can listen while cooking, and next to zero latency despite wireless. quite light on the head, too

Saoshyant posted:

last i checked, discord still can't do global push to talk under wayland which kinda makes it a nonstarter for me, but things tend to work these days for most folks

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No one should touch GNOME with a ten foot pole, so that's apparently just one desktop environment that supports Wayland.

Mint used to have these Cinnamon and MATE environments which were alright (based on sane GNOME forks IIRC), are those still a thing?

PopOS also has its own thing, right?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

organburner posted:

I'm aware there will probably be more work than on a windows machine but that's something I'm willing to risk to be honest.

Manjaro, Fedora, PopOS, or Mint are the ones I see recommended most often for that kind of thing. No experience with them myself.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Global hotkeys have to be mediated via the DE on wayland because applications can't just sniff keyboard input of other applications. That's not sorted out, so it doesn't work.

Imo that's a pretty bad approach to security, but it is how it is.

Wayland on KDE Plasma is usable, and has some pretty cool abilities, like tearing-free scrolling on rotated displays without badly impacting latency on other monitors.

But if you have strong opinions on X11/Wayland, or Flatpak/Snap, or deb/rpm based distros, you probably already know enough to choose a distro to match the severity of your neuroses :v:.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
not that i ever cared much, but i completely stopped following gnome when they posted that screed some years ago about how themes are the scourge, and app developers should have full control of how they behave on my pc lmao

Antigravitas posted:

Global hotkeys have to be mediated via the DE on wayland because applications can't just sniff keyboard input of other applications. That's not sorted out, so it doesn't work.
yeah mumble 4.x works fine, it's just discord holding me back now.

well, that and debian 12 actually releasing i guess

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Klyith posted:

Ok, so we've ruled out slackware and gentoo (and maybe also standard arch if the installer not having a gui counts).

Almost every distro still comes with Nouveau for nvidia by default, but installing the non-free is pretty simple almost everywhere. Pop_OS AFAIK is the only one that ships with the nvidia proprietary driver by default. Laptops with hybrid graphics can still require some fuckery on any distro, but are a good reason to go with Pop, Mint, or Ubuntu.

A lot of people are less enthusiastic about Ububtu on the desktop these days, because they've gone nuts for yet another Ubuntu-only tech. This time it's Snap, a proprietary app-sandboxing system like flatpak.

IIRC installing Nvidia prop drivers on Ubuntu flavors is as easy as hitting the "install proprietary drivers" button during installation. It will even sign them for you for secure boot (small extra step, but still guided). I think the snap thing is overblown too, very easy to install flatpak/add flathub and use that instead.

Privacy concerns over some of the integrations they've done with.. Google? I think? are a bigger reason to avoid if that matters to you imo.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

VorpalFish posted:

IIRC installing Nvidia prop drivers on Ubuntu flavors is as easy as hitting the "install proprietary drivers" button during installation. It will even sign them for you for secure boot (small extra step, but still guided). I think the snap thing is overblown too, very easy to install flatpak/add flathub and use that instead.

People are mostly annoyed that they're replacing normal packages with snaps invisibly. Running "sudo apt install firefox" on Ubuntu gets you the snap package for Firefox and there's no way around that. It's just a very weird choice that no one likes.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Emong posted:

People are mostly annoyed that they're replacing normal packages with snaps invisibly. Running "sudo apt install firefox" on Ubuntu gets you the snap package for Firefox and there's no way around that. It's just a very weird choice that no one likes.

Yeah I mean first thing I do with a new kubuntu install is sudo snap remove Firefox, flatpak install com.mozilla.firefox or whatever just doesn't feel like a huge deal to me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Saoshyant posted:

I'm using wayland. My experience has been that it works great when everything is running in wayland native mode. It feels snappy and solid, while X11 has always felt just a little bit jank to me.

When I have problems it's always been with stuff running via x compatibility. I'm not expert enough to diagnose the where & why -- could be the app, could be KDE, could be wayland/x. And sometimes those problems have been pretty severe. (Example: I was running vivaldi in X11 mode because chromium browsers still can't do video hardware acceleration in wayland. For a while that was fine, but recently it has very rarely made the whole DE to freeze up with graphical corruption that makes me think it crashed the video driver or something. MPV works fine.)

Other programs have been fine. GIMP runs in X compatibility and gives me zero problems.

OTOH wayland vs x isn't necessarily a permanent decision. On my system I get a dropdown on the login screen to switch between them.

Saoshyant posted:

No one should touch GNOME with a ten foot pole, so that's apparently just one desktop environment that supports Wayland.

Mint used to have these Cinnamon and MATE environments which were alright (based on sane GNOME forks IIRC), are those still a thing?

PopOS also has its own thing, right?

KDE is doing well on wayland now if your distro is giving you a recent KDE release. They are heavily prioritizing fixing wayland bugs. Gnome is still the most solid though.

MATE - working on it, the file manager is still the big blocker
XFCE - some work done but they're still a long way off and the project may not have the resources anymore
Cinnamon - zero work on wayland, this seems to be a "we don't like new things" project

PopOS is making their own GNOME-based DE, probably because the other alternatives are being so slow and Pop wants a viable non-gnome that's future-oriented. But for now they have a customized gnome.

Truga posted:

last i checked, discord still can't do global push to talk under wayland which kinda makes it a nonstarter for me, but things tend to work these days for most folks

yeah global hotkeys are a problem for wayland, since in the interests of security apps are blocked from seeing keystrokes that aren't sent to that window

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

Pop_OS AFAIK is the only one that ships with the nvidia proprietary driver by default.

EndeavourOS has it too including in the installer.

EndeavourOS is a fine way to do Arch, if that's the distro you're interested in. It's a very thin layer over arch - an app to point you at docs and some notifiers for updates. You can deselect the Endeavour stuff in the installer and treat it as a pure Arch installer too afaik.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been using KDE on Wayland for ~2 years now and the experience has improved leaps and bounds. I am now in the state where there's almost no issues but obviously it took some time to learn what apps work well and how to fix some common issues after switching from X11.

Currently the two major problems left for me are all related to scaling:

1. scaling of XWayland apps being blurry (biggest offender is Steam), this is not a problem on GNOME
2. I have scaling set to 200% on my 4K monitor (2160p) which makes the resolution reported to XWayland apps be half of that, ie. 1080p. So I literally can't play games in 4K on my 4K monitor. Again, GNOME doesn't have this issue. From what I've gathered, this should be fixed in KDE 5.26 because you can choose whether XWayland apps scale the same or not. Not sure if it's a complete solution like on GNOME, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can run games through https://github.com/Plagman/gamescope to use any possible output/scale resolution, but that's probably too much extra effort to bother with tbh :v:

i think steam deck uses gamescope, dunno why it's not integrated into steam/proton layers yet

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've actually tried using gamescope for that but I couldn't get it to work with the Flatpak version of Steam (same for MangoHud). I will try installing the regular version and see if that helps.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
There's a gamescope extension for the steam flatpak that you need. It worked well when i tested it a few weeks ago, but i usually run steam directly.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Fedora is the hot poo poo these days. Go Fedora.

Ubuntu is not the cool cat it was a decade ago. Still waiting for Microsoft to buy Canonical.

Linux Mint if you want conservative and close to the Windows experience. I don't like it personally because it runs on Ubuntu which runs on Debian, and I'm a fan of neither, but I like how that distros strives to be pragmatic for actual users instead of chasing trends.

Arch Linux if you really want to learn how Linux and computers work behind the scenes. Then Fedora when you're too old to mess around with your setup, like I did.

Everything else is hype, at least for this old fart that's been running Linux full time for the past 20+ years. Go with a big name if it's your first rodeo, when you're more experienced you can do whatever you want.

KDE or GNOME is your choice. Both are actually fine and incredibly productive.

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 21, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lifroc posted:

Arch Linux if you really want to learn how Linux and computers work behind the scenes. Then Fedora when you're too old to mess around with your setup, like I did.

Me. I'm screwing around with Kenoite at the moment and though it has rough edges (even in comparison to Silverblue) I do like the idea of never needing to fix motherfucking package conflicts ever again.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

Me. I'm screwing around with Kenoite at the moment and though it has rough edges (even in comparison to Silverblue) I do like the idea of never needing to fix motherfucking package conflicts ever again.

I'm running Silverblue in fact. Kinoite is cool, but until KDE is good with Wayland I'll stay away (and I recently got the itch to go tiling with sway, but Xwayland is still bollocks as mentioned upthread).

Also Kinoite had a very annoying bug that broke the system after installation for people at GMT+0 like us British sods. It took a couple months to get fixed, so I think that's a little too unstable for me.

But Silverblue/Kinoite/OSTree rock. I have no plans to go back to a regular distro setup any time soon.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Mint still hasn't figured out how to keep people updated without reinstall or tons of weird janitoring.

And honestly, their conduct screams amateur hour at every step. It's the distro centipede experience and it shows. The further removed you are from Debian the worse it gets.

I don't usually poo poo on FOSS projects, but Mint really sucks and I don't understand why it is popular.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm really enjoying pop as my first distro, out of curiosity why is ubuntu more popular than straight debian? It seems like lots of things are debian based but few people use it directly, why is that?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Debian is a Free Software purist distro, and very srs business. It's not exactly user friendly in its defaults and assumes you know what you are doing. On the other hand, it packages an absolutely huge amount of software in a consistent fashion.

So a lot of distros take the gigantic packaging base and put their own defaults and custom packages on top.

FWIW, at work we are a Debian shop on servers and clients. On clients we push a large set of default settings on top of base Debian, and the two year release cadence of Debian provides some structure and incentive to evaluate everything in regular intervals.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Splode posted:

I'm really enjoying pop as my first distro, out of curiosity why is ubuntu more popular than straight debian? It seems like lots of things are debian based but few people use it directly, why is that?

Among other reasons, Debian installation ISO doesn't include non-free packages by default. Unless you are connected by Ethernet, it's entirely possible that you Wi-Fi just won't work during installation so hopefully you have other ways of getting online. And even if you know about that, getting the firmware onto the installation media isn't intuitive or easy (at least last time I tried, several years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
straight debian pretty much "just works" these days in my experience, but yeah as antigravitas says, defaults sometimes aren't the best for your average user/desktop environment, and unlike the ubuntus, you will need to do command line poo poo now and then. in exchange, you get the debian "obsolete on release" stability :v:

my best example of this is probably how in 15 years of constantly upgrading many different virtual and physical machines, i've only once had an issue, and even that issue was easily recoverable and partly my own fault. i have VMs in production running latest debians with no issues that were first brought up in late 00s

lordfrikk posted:

Among other reasons, Debian installation ISO doesn't include non-free packages by default. Unless you are connected by Ethernet, it's entirely possible that you Wi-Fi just won't work during installation so hopefully you have other ways of getting online. And even if you know about that, getting the firmware onto the installation media isn't intuitive or easy (at least last time I tried, several years ago).

this hasn't been an issue for a very long time now

screenshot from the download page, you just download the linked non-free-firmware-included iso and go to town