Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

MJF is pretty good as is Colt Cabana

MJF discusses his football career in a shoot video with RSP and Ethan Page and it’s the funniest loving thing if you don’t mind ruining the gimmick for yourself.

He scored his recruitment highlight reel with Real American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

Has the WWE ever actually done a positive LBGT+ angle that has actually succeeded? I remember Stephanie said they would try one one day

Nope. The closest they got after she said that was some very minor teases between Sonya and Mandy Rose that were dropped almost immediately

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
this reminds me that WWE straight up lied to a GLAAD representative after the climax of the Billy and Chuck angle had been taped, telling him that their wedding had gone off without a hitch

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you settin me up barry?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I would never, Cav, you're my favorite :love:

https://www.outsports.com/2013/3/4/4064614/glaad-we-were-lied-to

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Barry Bluejeans posted:

this reminds me that WWE straight up lied to a GLAAD representative after the climax of the Billy and Chuck angle had been taped, telling him that their wedding had gone off without a hitch

I mean, where's the lie? Nobody got hitched

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

barry you were settin me up to say what rujasu said. but i didn't fall for it

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Was Zack Gowan really hired because they contacted the wrong one legged wrestler or is that a myth?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Manwithastick posted:

Was Zack Gowan really hired because they contacted the wrong one legged wrestler or is that a myth?

The story is that he was the right one legged wrestler, while trying to hire him they reached out to another guy who was the wrong one legged wrestler and had to backtrack when they realised it wasn’t him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Zack Gowen may be the most perfect example of Vince having absolutely no idea how to book an underdog, or even how sympathy works. loving everyone, including Vince, beat the poo poo out of him on a regular basis. I don’t think he was ever allowed to go over anyone or even at least get his heat back. And didn’t his last appearance include JBL waving his prosthetic leg around the ring?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Zack Gowen may be the most perfect example of Vince having absolutely no idea how to book an underdog, or even how sympathy works. loving everyone, including Vince, beat the poo poo out of him on a regular basis. I don’t think he was ever allowed to go over anyone or even at least get his heat back. And didn’t his last appearance include JBL waving his prosthetic leg around the ring?

He beat Big Show so he won a match at least.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

It's not surprising that Vince and his hangers-on don't understand that most people don't think it's funny to pick on disabled people. They're the kind of old guys who think the world is going to hell because there isn't enough hazing to toughen kids up

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Kosmo Gallion posted:

to be fair Gowen had the Orchestrator of the Women's Revolution Stephanie McMahon on his side

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

He also beat Matt Hardy when Matt had a midcard push

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Nope. The closest they got after she said that was some very minor teases between Sonya and Mandy Rose that were dropped almost immediately

How quickly we forget the "Dawn Marie banging Al Wilson as means to bang Torrie Wilson" angle.

There was also Liv Morgan objecting to Lana's marriage to Bobby Lashley because she and Lana were lovers, but other than the wedding angle, I don't recall this being followed up on at all beyond a week, maybe.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Braun squashed that local jobber who liked big sweaty men

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

History Comes Inside! posted:

The story is that he was the right one legged wrestler, while trying to hire him they reached out to another guy who was the wrong one legged wrestler and had to backtrack when they realised it wasn’t him.
The best part was that the other one-legged wrestler (Steve Chamberland) actually looked like a badass so of course they were like "whoops, no, we need someone who looks like a child who we can laugh at for being beaten up"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

edogawa rando posted:

There was also Liv Morgan objecting to Lana's marriage to Bobby Lashley because she and Lana were lovers, but other than the wedding angle, I don't recall this being followed up on at all beyond a week, maybe.

thanks for reminding me of this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not surprising that Vince and his hangers-on don't understand that most people don't think it's funny to pick on disabled people. They're the kind of old guys who think the world is going to hell because there isn't enough hazing to toughen kids up

See also how they'd have Zach try to go heel but as soon as we get to the comeback it was right back to 'wait I don't want to see the one-legged guy get beat up that's just mean.'

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm fairly certain they hired him specifically because Vince thought it would be hilarious to have commentary lean into the "one-legged man in an rear end kicking contest" joke a million times.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

What was the resolution to this?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a women's angle in wwe, it went nowhere

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

What was the resolution to this?

Vince had a wank and promptly forgot about it, I assume.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Zach Gowen's three televised victories in WWE:

1) July 2003 - Zach Gowen & Stephanie McMahon d. Big Show (after both Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar run in to hit their finishers on Big Show and throw Gowan on top)
2) August 2003 - Zach Gowen d. Brock Lesnar via DQ when Lesnar gets bored powerbombing him and nails him with an extremely unprotected chairshot, then continues to beat him bloody until he gets stretchered out in front of his mom
3) October 2003 - Zach Gowen d. Matt Hardy Version 1.0 clean with a moonsault on PPV

In between he lost squash-ish matches against Vince McMahon, Shannon Moore, Nunzio, pre-push John Cena, Shannon Moore again, and then the week after the Hardy win, got squashed by Tajiri. That was his last match on WWE TV and he got released a few months later.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was 13 when that match with Lesnar happened and even then I remember feeling really uncomfortable.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Didn't Lesnar throw him down some stairs at one point during their feud?

Or was that Shannon Moore that Lesnar did it too?

That reminded me, I loved that period where Lesnar just kept destroying Shannon Moore. :xd:

Just found it in a highlights package, it was Zach being thrown down the stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS8yjr87xCU

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 22, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
According to Gowen the original plan was to f5 him off the giant Smackdown fist but they couldn't figure out a safe way to do it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was trolled with some false information and had shared it. i will be removing the "second-hand troll" as it were.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 22, 2022

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Do serving US military personnel get into WWE events for free? I recall they made a big deal about this for Great American Bash but did this extend to all WWE shows?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Related, there was a story recently that they just started giving employees off for Veteran's Day. Seems like that would have been a thing already in such a pro-military company.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Related, there was a story recently that they just started giving employees off for Veteran's Day. Seems like that would have been a thing already in such a pro-military company.

Which is weird, because Vince grew up near a military base and claimed he started fights with Marines

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Vince was just as good at fighting Marines as HBK

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Let's actually look at their records versus Marines:

Vince McMahon
vs John Cena 1-1
vs Ted Dibiase Jr. 1-0
vs. The Miz 0-0
vs. Shawn Michaels 3-2

Shawn Michaels
vs. John Cena 3-7-1
vs. Ted Dibiase Jr. 6-1
vs. The Miz 6-2
vs. Shawn Michaels ???

On the whole Michaels fares better against Marines, but struggles against THE Marine

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Let's actually look at their records versus Marines:

Vince McMahon
vs John Cena 1-1
vs Ted Dibiase Jr. 1-0
vs. The Miz 0-0
vs. Shawn Michaels 3-2

Shawn Michaels
vs. John Cena 3-7-1
vs. Ted Dibiase Jr. 6-1
vs. The Miz 6-2
vs. Shawn Michaels ???

On the whole Michaels fares better against Marines, but struggles against THE Marine

What about Marines Randall Keith Orton and Road Dogg

Pretty sure neither ever worked with Slaughter

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Shark Boy and Bobby Fish should count as marine wrestlers imo

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
HBK owned himself pretty hard in the late 90s.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

HBK owned himself pretty hard in the late 90s.

Serious question: On TV, they said he was jumped by 12 guys in Syracuse, right? They never mentioned Marines. Or were they incredibly vague?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
They surely wouldn't have mentioned them being marines. The only person I can recall who was there and has gone on the record about it is Sean Waltman, who said a group of guys who we were military, dragged a pilled up and unconscious Shawn out of the passenger seat of a woman's car and beat the absolute paste out of him.

Davey Boy and Waltman were the ones that fought them off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

They surely wouldn't have mentioned them being marines. The only person I can recall who was there and has gone on the record about it is Sean Waltman, who said a group of guys who we were military, dragged a pilled up and unconscious Shawn out of the passenger seat of a woman's car and beat the absolute paste out of him.

Davey Boy and Waltman were the ones that fought them off.

I always thought it was kinda interesting Davey Boy helped out, in hindsight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I used to know a Heartbreak Kid, he had a dozen girls. One of them found out about it and her Marine friends beat him up so bad he ended up in a hospital on Guerrero Street.

Haha, what a story, marks.