Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vic posted:

I just updated and no Spotify or anything else was installed, because on the "Let's customize your windows experience" startup screen I selected "No, thanks" to the options. It was three clicks.

i didn't get that startup screen this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

i didn't get that startup screen this time

a:b testing for how much bullshit people are willing to put up with

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The decision in Windows 11 to treat the Start menu and taskbar as some sort of sacred object that users can't really customize is among the more bizarre choices they made for 11. I don't understand it at all, but the answer is probably profits and

Arivia posted:

a:b testing for how much bullshit people are willing to put up with

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The decision in Windows 11 to treat the Start menu and taskbar as some sort of sacred object that users can't really customize is among the more bizarre choices they made for 11. I don't understand it at all, but the answer is probably profits and

They claim it's not some carefully considered design decision so much as it's more complicated to implement than it seems, and they rewrote the taskbar from scratch for Windows 11. Telemetry showed that few people moved the bar (those people are just very vocal) so it was basically dead last on the priority list.

My suspicion is that this explanation is largely accurate, except a lot of the work is due to Microsoft's dumb internal processes.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Your quote implies a b option which there isn't. StartAllBack still working great, free for a few months and then the princely sum of $5 which is highway robbery for something windows should have natively but otherwise a good deal.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

I just updated and no Spotify or anything else was installed, because on the "Let's customize your windows experience" startup screen I selected "No, thanks" to the options. It was three clicks.

Having to do this at all is indefensible. There is a good reason they don't tell you what's actually happening and it's because they know it's crapware. It's the same tactic that put the AskJeeves toolbar on millions of computers that never asked for it 2 decades ago.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Having to do this at all is indefensible. There is a good reason they don't tell you what's actually happening and it's because they know it's crapware. It's the same tactic that put the AskJeeves toolbar on millions of computers that never asked for it 2 decades ago.

Yeah don't get me wrong it's bullshit. They're pushing Edge and ad consents with this startup nonsense since Windows 10. But it's been doing this for 7 years now and it's still a yes/no prompt that I have to answer every year or so. I don't like it, but it's really not an issue I'll think about twice.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Is StartAllback still a good option for a Windows 11 taskbar fix? Or is there a better option?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Sneeze Party posted:

Is StartAllback still a good option for a Windows 11 taskbar fix? Or is there a better option?

I’m using it in a couple PCs, seems to work well.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sneeze Party posted:

Before I got Object Desktop by Stardock, I used (and paid for!) StartAllBack first. It worked wonders, and because of the war in Ukraine it’s still free because of payment fuckery.

The only reason I jumped whole-hog into Object Desktop was because one of the coders saw something nice I reviewed about Fences (that he had personally written out!), and basically gave me the whole package for like 90% off. I’d used other Stardock products before, and OD has been awesome especially if you get a kick out of customizing every single bit of your Windows machine! I know it’s expensive w/o any discounts, but it took effects from 11 different (free & paid) programs I used strictly for Windows 11 customization and combined them into one smaller footprint app. I hate to sound like a commercial here, but seriously if you want customization it’s worth looking into (plus you can buy specific components separately if you don’t want all of them!).

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Sneeze Party posted:

StartAllBack is great. Even used its predecesssor, StartIsBack, in the Windows 8 days.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Alternatively do what I do, install windows power toys and pull up all your applications via their Mac OS-style/spotlight-style search bar with alt-space
(It pulls up whatever with one or 2 letters)

I do not use the start menu at all anymore, I used to use openshell which is similar to startisback until I did a clean install.

I keep like my 8-10 most used on the taskbar and use alt-space to pull anything else up. If you know what everything is called it's easy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hit the Windows key and type the name of whatever app I want and it generally works quickly and easily without any extra software. This is the first machine in years that I didn't install Free Launch Bar on.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got a 42" OLED and moved to 11. I had taskbar on left for over a decade, but now with a 42" panel it was too much left. I wanted taskbar to be at the center of the screen, so I had to upgrade to 11. Now if the taskbar was dock instead. Or possible to move it on top instead.. hmm. Start menu is ok with the folders.

One weird thing is that the upgrade installed a ton of RGB software. GALAX, PATRIOT etc. What was that poo poo all about?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
RGB improves performance, duh.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

I don't understand it at all, but the answer is probably profits and

The UI of Windows 11 was meant for Surface Neo (a sandboxed dual screen device that was cancelled) then repurposed for Windows 10x (a chomeos alternative that was cancelled) and finally used on 11.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

The UI of Windows 11 was meant for Surface Neo (a sandboxed dual screen device that was cancelled) then repurposed for Windows 10x (a chomeos alternative that was cancelled) and finally used on 11.

I think that's one reason a lot of the interface feels cribbed from ChromeOS.

So far I only have Windows 11 on 2-in-1 laptop, and the touchscreen and ChromeOS style layout actually works okay on that. Still not feeling like I want to install it on one of my desktops, though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MikusR posted:

Still doesn’t explain why they’re sticking to their stupid guns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just don't get why the start menu button is now center-justified on the taskbar and moves left as you gather more icons.

This is seriously loving with 25 years of muscle memory that that button is locked in the bottom left, goddamnit. Compounded by the fact that only my laptop is Win11, everything else I own and my work computer is Win10

I'd get mildly annoyed so many times a day if the windows key didn't exist.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 22, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arrath posted:

I just don't get why the start menu button is now center-justified on the taskbar and moves left as you gather more icons.

This is seriously loving with 25 years of muscle memory that that button is locked in the bottom left, goddamnit. Compounded by the fact that only my laptop is Win11, everything else I own and my work computer is Win10

I'd get mildly annoyed so many times a day if the windows key didn't exist.

you can switch it to left-aligned in the options (all program icons will also be left-aligned and it will be like the 10 taskbar)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why....didn't...I....ever check that....

:doh: Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
It's super dumb but as was summarised above, it looks like some high up's nephew worked on the original design for this and forced it on millions of us anyway.

I love the new sounds and animations though, pleasing improvement over Windows 10.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Had Spotify starting itself after the update. Already had the Spotify app from the Windows app store installed on that PC.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

anyone have a way to force the win 11 22H2 update? Clicking check for updates just tells me I'm up to date, but I'm still on 21H2

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I saw a guide on makeuseof.com in my inbox, and it made me curious: which is better for a windows veteran (and Debian newbie via WSL) to run the newest MacOS, VirtualBox or VMware? The guide is pretty thorough but I never really played with virtual machines before WSL. I’m not looking for any reason other than my grown son has a MacBook I used a couple of times when I visited, and I do use iOS, iPadOS, and even AppleTVOS at home. I don’t really have any reason for this other than experimenting, education, and just farting around, and my Win11 desktop has tons of memory/processing power that sits idle even playing two Eve Online accounts while watching Netflix and WSL Debian on my second monitor. My biggest problem is my internet connection bandwidth (15-20 down/5-8 up) which is a 4G LTE hotspot, but I have unlimited access so really big games or ISO’s just get downloaded overnight once I go to sleep.

Any tips are appreciated, especially if a preference matters or not. I’ve seen both used, but never thought much about why friends/brotherIL used one or the other!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
object desktop is sweet but Fences is the only program I really have a use for (and I like it a lot). they need to make Curtains work with windows 11 so I can laugh at all the horrible skins people make for that thing. StartAllBack is still probably the single most useful piece of software for Win11 out of the box for sure

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

HKR posted:

anyone have a way to force the win 11 22H2 update? Clicking check for updates just tells me I'm up to date, but I'm still on 21H2

There's probably an easier way but I just downloaded the current Win11 ISO and ran setup.

Antrodemus
Mar 8, 2002
I've got an extremely basic question, because I am a dullard. I'm on 10, and just got the popup in the bottom right that I can upgrade to 11 22H2. I'd prefer to wait a bit, but I did some quick googling and apparently if I click 'stay on Windows 10 for now' Windows Update will just never prompt for 11 again? Is that correct? (And if it is, would I be best served just accepting it and upgrading now?)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Antrodemus posted:

I've got an extremely basic question, because I am a dullard. I'm on 10, and just got the popup in the bottom right that I can upgrade to 11 22H2. I'd prefer to wait a bit, but I did some quick googling and apparently if I click 'stay on Windows 10 for now' Windows Update will just never prompt for 11 again? Is that correct? (And if it is, would I be best served just accepting it and upgrading now?)

I don't know about "never", but you can update to 11 any time you want to in the future by downloading the install tool from MS

this ain't a limited time offer, windows is just perpetual upgrades now

Antrodemus
Mar 8, 2002

Klyith posted:

I don't know about "never", but you can update to 11 any time you want to in the future by downloading the install tool from MS

this ain't a limited time offer, windows is just perpetual upgrades now

I am greatly obliged! I hit 'stay on Windows 10 for now' and it looks as if you can get right back to the 11 upgrade by selecting 'see if it's ready to install' under the little Windows 11 checkbox in Update, if anyone else has run into this issue.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I saw a guide on makeuseof.com in my inbox, and it made me curious: which is better for a windows veteran (and Debian newbie via WSL) to run the newest MacOS, VirtualBox or VMware? The guide is pretty thorough but I never really played with virtual machines before WSL. I’m not looking for any reason other than my grown son has a MacBook I used a couple of times when I visited, and I do use iOS, iPadOS, and even AppleTVOS at home. I don’t really have any reason for this other than experimenting, education, and just farting around, and my Win11 desktop has tons of memory/processing power that sits idle even playing two Eve Online accounts while watching Netflix and WSL Debian on my second monitor. My biggest problem is my internet connection bandwidth (15-20 down/5-8 up) which is a 4G LTE hotspot, but I have unlimited access so really big games or ISO’s just get downloaded overnight once I go to sleep.

Any tips are appreciated, especially if a preference matters or not. I’ve seen both used, but never thought much about why friends/brotherIL used one or the other!
I've just eyeballed the site and I'm not sure if you're referring to this article or something else but if it's that article it's about running Windows on macOS rather than the other way around. Apple's licensing for the OS stipulates that you can only legally run macOS on Apple Hardware and honestly the performance of Mac VMs (outside of macOS 12 VMs on Apple Silicon Macs which seem to have native hardware graphics support) has always been kind of garbage so even if you could get it running it wouldn't really be representative of how it is to use.

The good news (and relevant to this thread) is that you can very much run Windows 11 Virtual Machines on Macs and that seems to now include the ARM variant on Apple Silicon Macs. I haven't seen an announcement anywhere but a few months back regular Windows 11 keys started working for activation on Win11 ARM VMs so we're assuming it's all kosher at this point.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Arrath posted:

Another option is if you use TaskbarX (not sure if there are other apps that do it) you can have the start menu button separated on the left and all the other buttons in the middle like a dock.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

barnold posted:

object desktop is sweet but Fences is the only program I really have a use for (and I like it a lot). they need to make Curtains work with windows 11 so I can laugh at all the horrible skins people make for that thing. StartAllBack is still probably the single most useful piece of software for Win11 out of the box for sure

Oh, absolutely! And I would not have OD at the regular price…I was getting a lot of its features using like 10 free programs with no complaints. I used the free (old) version of Fences, and actually bought it once they allowed you to buy bits and pieces for a decent price. I wrote up how useful it was and how I used it, and one of the people who was a Fences developer sent me a code for a copy of the whole OD itself as thanks. I wish I could remember the site now, but he said in his email that my (glowing) review for something he worked on really made a crappy day better.

And yes, some community skins for virtually every project in OD are atrocious. But I go through Deskscapes, cursor, and sound packages every other day when I’m bored…having my computer do a mix of Predator/Doomguy sounds as I use it is just funny to me.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mercurius posted:

I've just eyeballed the site and I'm not sure if you're referring to this article or something else but if it's that article it's about running Windows on macOS rather than the other way around. Apple's licensing for the OS stipulates that you can only legally run macOS on Apple Hardware and honestly the performance of Mac VMs (outside of macOS 12 VMs on Apple Silicon Macs which seem to have native hardware graphics support) has always been kind of garbage so even if you could get it running it wouldn't really be representative of how it is to use.

The good news (and relevant to this thread) is that you can very much run Windows 11 Virtual Machines on Macs and that seems to now include the ARM variant on Apple Silicon Macs. I haven't seen an announcement anywhere but a few months back regular Windows 11 keys started working for activation on Win11 ARM VMs so we're assuming it's all kosher at this point.

Nope, this one. It does say “on Windows 10,” but I didn’t figure that mattered as far as running it on 11. I have no insight into getting a legal copy of MacOS itself(I won’t pirate it or anything like that); like I said, I’m interested in learning, but not enough to buy a whole laptop just to play with Finder or something.

Mainly I was curious at an opinion on VB/VMware from goons, who offer some of the best tech advice from system32 to monitor calibration!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

VMWare Workstation Player would get my recommendation, but I’ll echo that I don’t think you’ll have much success with a macOS VM.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nitsuga posted:

VMWare Workstation Player would get my recommendation, but I’ll echo that I don’t think you’ll have much success with a macOS VM.

Ok, and that’s ok…like I said it was more of “interesting” than a “need for job” or anything. If anything doesn’t go step-by-step or isn’t addressed in the article or spelled out in a Google search, I’ll just drop it! I just have a lot of free time these days, and was intrigued by my son’s Mac and that specific article caught my attention is all.

Any reason VMw player over VB? I’m not begging for an :effort: post, just don’t really have experience with either one. I’m learning Debian (and putting a little generalities to use w/a RPi 0w running Pihole), but the virtualization is “behind the scenes” with WSL. There’s not many other ways to learn about the Mac system without spending a grand+ on a laptop I have zero need for, and I do have a 2021 iPad and current iPhone as a base of knowledge to work with! The article gives both virtual machine programs as options and most of my tech-adjacent stuff always works better with advice from goons, from gaming to networking stuff. I’d prefer whichever is “easier,” but “easy” means different things to tech folks sometimes.

I’m asking specifically in the Win11 thread because that’s the machine I want to run it on; my Dell Intel laptop is from 2011 (running Win10 current) and I don’t think it would handle two simultaneous OS’s very well at all. It’s upgraded as far as possible, but a Core Duo/integrated graphics/only 8 GB RAM is (as far as I know) not exactly a power house at factory default!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sure, it’s worth a try, but I didn’t want you to get your hopes up. Finding an older MacBook on SA-Mart would get my vote. Linux should be no problem at all to virtualize luckily.

I recommend VMWare because it’s plain better in my experience. You’re welcome to experiment, but VirtualBox has always felt laggy to me, and with the advent of a better free option I’m loathe to suggest it. I don’t think one or the other will really get in the way of what you’re hoping to do though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nitsuga posted:

Sure, it’s worth a try, but I didn’t want you to get your hopes up. Finding an older MacBook on SA-Mart would get my vote. Linux should be no problem at all to virtualize luckily.

I recommend VMWare because it’s plain better in my experience. You’re welcome to experiment, but VirtualBox has always felt laggy to me, and with the advent of a better free option I’m loathe to suggest it. I don’t think one or the other will really get in the way of what you’re hoping to do though.

Hah, my hopes are zero. If it can occupy a few hours on a Friday without a lot of deep configuration while I play BattleTech ‘s campaign while modded on my main monitor I’ll be satisfied. If I can get it to run “Pages” without resorting to -man or equivalent then I’ll be happy. If something goes too sideways that a quick question here (SA, not the Win11 thread unless it’s a VM issue with Windows) or a basic Google search won’t fix I will straight up delete and walk away!

I will look for an old Mac, though…I always forget SAMart or shopgoodwill.com etc. Heck I may buy my son a new one for Christmas (he’s using the one we got him for school and graduated in 2020) and reclaim his instead of donating it or ewasting it (which sucks for still useful hardware!).

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DerekSmartymans posted:

Any reason VMw player over VB? I’m not begging for an :effort: post, just don’t really have experience with either one.

Honestly I suggest trying out both if you can and sticking with what you personally like better. I've used both over the years and it sometimes changes which I've preferred for one dumb reason or another.

Have fun learning Debian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikusR posted:

That might explain why Win11 seems full of bloatware apps that come preinstalled right out of the box: they were thinking that 11 would be an OS for a mobile device and just repurposed it for PCs.