Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I assume she means that she outsells particular comics published by Marvel, not Marvel Comics as a whole. And she specified "graphic novel", which I assume is a specific segment of the total comic book market (although I have no idea what makes one a graphic novel and another not).

There's no real single definition of what makes something a graphic novel, other than being comics and published in a long book format rather than a single issue. I'd assume Dana is referring to the Phoebe collections as her graphic novels, but I'm not clear what she's comparing to since Marvel mostly doesn't publish GNs other than maybe the collections of individual issues as TPBs.

Only sales figures i can find for Phoebe is the Amazon listing for the latest collection mentioning "over 2 million copies sold in the series", which was published in June 2022. The latest sales figures for Marvel I can find are from September 2021, which shows Marvel as a whole selling around 3.5 million copies that month alone. So, probably not that. My guess would be either she's only counting Marvel's TPBs, or that she means she outsells each individual ongoing series (probably in a given month rather than all time) but not the combined total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Her Bookscan numbers outdo the Bookscan numbers for the average Marvel TPB, is what I would bet. And what I would expect.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Remarkably natural dialogue from Curtis here, very real, very smooth.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

Next time: Rudy gets racially profiled.

They put their kid in a Grandma Dress?

Samovar posted:

AND his stupid haircut, don't forget that, narrator.

It's hardly unique to Val, though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

The authentic Georgia Dunn personal sense of humor nerdiness really hits every so often. :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Her Bookscan numbers outdo the Bookscan numbers for the average Marvel TPB, is what I would bet. And what I would expect.
Her BookScan numbers are greater than Marvel's entire BookScan sales in total. Marvel's highest-selling book in 2021 was Infinity Gauntlet which sold all over 10k copies, and didn't even make the top 750 titles. Her total sales were a little below a quarter million.

That said, she's exaggerating some still: For 2021, she was the 37th best selling author for total sales, below Gene Luen Yang and Robert Kirkman from the Western periodical side of the market (though Yang is heavily bolstered by American Born Chinese rather than, say, Superman Smashes the Klan) and a whole lot of mangas. Dav Pilkey sold over 5 million books in 2021 alone (making him the #1 author with a bullet) and Raina Telemeier just over a million.

All of this, of course, ignore that Marvel's sales are largely direct market which isn't captured by BookScan, but it's still a fun brag.

Source.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If I published anything, and I could say that I outsold Marvel at all, I'd be shouting it from the rooftops as much as I could. Sure there's an asterisk, but gently caress it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 9/20/02

Come on guys, Mewlius Caesar was right there

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I don't know (or really want to know) what Lynn's politics are, but this "Durr....strike because thing bad" groupthink plot is straight out of right wing propaganda. It's not Dustin levels of poo poo but it's pretty contemptuous*.

* Yeah, I know about the stories of Lynn's "creative" parenting.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Oh boy...

Ohohohohoho boy...

:siren: OH. BOY. :siren:

You know something, folks? This is so stupid it needs to stay on a pedestal for awhile. Be back later.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Oh boy...

Ohohohohoho boy...

You know something, folks? This is so stupid it needs to stay on a pedestal for awhile. Be back later.

What!?

WHAT?!?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Green Intern posted:

What!?

WHAT?!?

poo poo like that happens more often than you think!

The gun that Jack Ruby used to kill Lee Harvey Oswald is in private hands, for example.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (June 4-9, 1984)

Bullwinkle

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Oh boy...

Ohohohohoho boy...

Turns out that John Darling was killed by Eddie Valiant's toon revolver.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a Funky comic.

Like.

WHAT.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, everything else...

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 27, 1934)

Peanuts (September 24, 1975)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 22, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 23-25, 1939 (because you already saw November 20-22; also timg'd for the usual reasons))

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

EasyEW posted:

Oh boy...

Ohohohohoho boy...

It’s so perfect. It’s so perfectly Baitukian in its convergence of “who could possibly care about this stuff” and “needless plunge into tragedy”.

I can’t believe he keeps on delivering these bangers of stupidity. Earlier this year he had his self insert be rewarded with an Oscar for best actress and now this. He’s the Tim Buckley of newspaper comics :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know (or really want to know) what Lynn's politics are, but this "Durr....strike because thing bad" groupthink plot is straight out of right wing propaganda. It's not Dustin levels of poo poo but it's pretty contemptuous*.

* Yeah, I know about the stories of Lynn's "creative" parenting.

I also despise the way Lynn draws her standard "dumb" characters, they're literally slack-jawed, with 2-3 randomly spaced teeth that somehow indicate "big dumb idiot". It's so noticable because it's the only time she ever draws teeth - probably because of how many jokes she can make at the expense of dental patients.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Plants famously grow super well in pitch black tiny holes with zero sunlight.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

Oh boy...

Ohohohohoho boy...

...was the drawer open? Did this dude just wander around a stranger's house looking at stuff and decide to randomly open a table drawer and rummage through it right in front of the owner?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

I also despise the way Lynn draws her standard "dumb" characters, they're literally slack-jawed, with 2-3 randomly spaced teeth that somehow indicate "big dumb idiot". It's so noticable because it's the only time she ever draws teeth - probably because of how many jokes she can make at the expense of dental patients.

I've noticed that too. They look like Mad magazine caricatures, though not as well drawn.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Oh boy...

Ohohohohoho boy...

I also often forget about firearms that have been murder weapons so I just stick them in some couch cushions, whatever

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not loaded, apart from the rounds that were left after they shot him. Over here I have one of the bullets they pulled from his corpse during his autopsy.

The other bullet I melted down, recast and reloaded. It's just in case I need to shoot his ghost.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Vargo posted:

...was the drawer open? Did this dude just wander around a stranger's house looking at stuff and decide to randomly open a table drawer and rummage through it right in front of the owner?

The latter. BoyLisa literally just started rummaging through the drawers of a stranger with some immediately-established trust issues.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

The latter. BoyLisa literally just started rummaging through the drawers of a stranger with some immediately-established trust issues.

Okay, it's not as bad when the drawer is part of a recreation of a TV set. If I saw Conan O'Brien's studio in some guy's house, I might absent-mindedly peek at the desk drawers myself just to see if they actually worked.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

keeping a loaded gun loose in a drawer? is this guy my grandfather or something?

(I...appreciate? the anime-rear end way that the background becomes pitch black when the SEVERITY of this stupid revelation sets in)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Vargo posted:

Okay, it's not as bad when the drawer is part of a recreation of a TV set. If I saw Conan O'Brien's studio in some guy's house, I might absent-mindedly peek at the desk drawers myself just to see if they actually worked.

It was also strongly implied earlier that it's his living room.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I realize Tiff feels responsible for the loss of the ring but it's a loving class ring, nobody steals that

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

davidspackage posted:

I realize Tiff feels responsible for the loss of the ring but it's a loving class ring, nobody steals that

It's Luann. High school was the most important part of their lives and never truly ends

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Vargo posted:

You take that back! Gap-Toothed Smiley "Hoo!" Guy is a cultural institution! An institution I say!

In all seriousness I know I have in the past talked poo poo about Foob and its various takes on the home life and other social problems with a somewhat socially conservative air to them. I also deeply hate the sound effects. Reading this has really illuminated how much Lynn does not like male teenagers. Michael is flawed and has depth and problems and bright sides, sure. If they're not within the family/friend sphere they're just a bunch of glass-eyed yahoos thinking with their dicks and nothing else. Teen girls so far seem to just be so boring as to be forgettable but it really feels like she just does not like teenage guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I'm way behind by like thirty pages but everyone shut up: Dilbert got cancelled

"Scott Adams, who has written and illustrated the popular comic since 1989, said Lee Enterprises stopped printing it this week. The media company owns nearly 100 newspapers throughout the United States."

Edit: dammit, it's on the previous page. Felt like
I had a scoop for a second there

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 21, 2022