Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kiriko origin story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLsJaMzLltE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Map design was OW's biggest flaw from the beginning. Even when it was pretty fun to play the maps held it back from what it could've been.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh, so the lore explains why she's the fusion of shrine maiden and kunoichi. Lol at whoever made that silly complaint list.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

teagone posted:

Oh, so the lore explains why she's the fusion of shrine maiden and kunoichi. Lol at whoever made that silly complaint list.

Lore can be made to tell anything though.

"She's from a family of ninjas, but has a part-time job at a local Grill. That's why she uses a stash of burgers to heal friends."

edit: Now that I think it closely. Brigitta should be the burger healer. She works for the local food delivery app in a rough neighborhood. That's why the armour and shield.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 20, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah kiriko isn't a real person with a real history lol, they can write whatever they want

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

adhuin posted:

:thunk:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Map design was OW's biggest flaw from the beginning. Even when it was pretty fun to play the maps held it back from what it could've been.

I reinstalled TF2 a few days ago and it's been such a breath of fresh air to have flank paths to the point instead of a big dumb meatgrinder chokepoint

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sockser posted:

I reinstalled TF2 a few days ago and it's been such a breath of fresh air to have flank paths to the point instead of a big dumb meatgrinder chokepoint

I was playing OW on a team and just walked away from the game when they released their like 16th chokepoint map

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Remove every hero and all the game modes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I was playing OW on a team and just walked away from the game when they released their like 16th chokepoint map

I'm a big dumb idiot and figured they'd start making good maps after the release ones because it was such an obvious problem and nope just keep on keeping on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it's a feature, not bug situation because people who don't really have any interest in learning the game past a very basic level (which is a huge amount of OW's population) generally love choke points for the same reason people prefer defense to offense - you just shoot at there obvious game prescribed frag generator location and the kill feed lights up. This is honestly pretty true in TF2 too, the most popular maps there still have mondo chokes. Even the map often heralded as TF2's greatest, Badwater Basin, has tons of points in the map where there's no realistic way to approach the enemy kill blob other than head-on (though there's some points that are much better).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Countblanc posted:

I think it's a feature, not bug situation because people who don't really have any interest in learning the game past a very basic level (which is a huge amount of OW's population) generally love choke points for the same reason people prefer defense to offense - you just shoot at there obvious game prescribed frag generator location and the kill feed lights up. This is honestly pretty true in TF2 too, the most popular maps there still have mondo chokes. Even the map often heralded as TF2's greatest, Badwater Basin, has tons of points in the map where there's no realistic way to approach the enemy kill blob other than head-on (though there's some points that are much better).

in theory I'd agree that a lot of people like chokepoints (or at least enjoy them from time to time), but that's anachronistic with designing a game to be specifically an esport with a deliberate development focus on the highest level of gameplay. I say in theory because even in spite of a lot of people enjoying chokepoint aspects in maps, man the maps in OW get almost universally panned on that specific point, even by people who otherwise enjoy the game. idk what it even is exactly, but they really missed the mark on maps and they took like three years to ever even acknowledge a bunch of the major issues with several of their maps.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hanamura remained completely unchanged for however many years ow1 has been out lmao

I don't really have as much of an issue with other maps just that one

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The two point capture maps suck because of the choke points that are just miserable to attack, but I don't really mind the other ones. I love all the control maps.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

(hanamura is actually fine if your team changes vs a mei but if you use a non-dive comp vs mei it's really really painful unlike any other map in the game)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
IIRC from beta the new Push maps had tons of flank options at pretty much every part of the map, so it does seem like they're trying to move away from spamming @ chokes

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

"She's from a family of ninjas, but has a part-time job at a local Grill. That's why she uses a stash of burgers to heal friends."

Well yeah, lol. But the complaint posted ITT specifically targeted Kiriko's design being an amalgamation of a ninja and shrine maiden.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They seem to have made a choice in Hanamura of making the first point more or less one choke to balance the long travel time for defenders. They do this on pretty much all those maps right?

Tf2 had this problem early on. What's the map, Hoodoo? It's got a death hallway that makes the window into Hanamura's first point look like GOTY material.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

wouldn't have chokepoint problems if you could still tell your team "let's all be gorillas" and leap to the point and throw down six shields at once.

not that that didn't have its own issues, but it's wild that the maps were designed with that kind of play in mind and never meaningfully altered afterwards.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, Kiriko looks fun as hell lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zPigt9cUxc

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1572320100035842049?t=l8cz56XdRM6rcyDQN0Zilw&s=19

I would like to wish Geoff a very why did you ruin Roadhog you turd and wish him luck in future endeavors.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 20, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

That cleanse ability is straight up a counter for 2/3 of Ana's kit

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That cleanse ability is straight up a counter for 2/3 of Ana's kit

That might be part of the point- Ana was HaHa Fuckoff strong in both betas, a large part of which that you basically won any fight you got a AntiNade + Ult off and lived virtually any amount of time after.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
[me dying after landing two kunai bodyshots] nice i hardcountered that ana

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"It's ok that heroes are now behind a paywall, because we're moving away from hard counters"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i feel like OW players have a really malleable definition of "hard counter".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignorance is bliss. Hide the chat box, mute voice, and play whatever the gently caress you want. If you lose, carry harder next time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL kinda boring?

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Runa posted:

The maps were terrible in the beta but that was made up for by there being no MMO roles, just varying types of utility tied to a DPS baseline functionality.

It just felt less frustrating to play, even if you needed to learn how to counter Barbatos and fast.

Yeah I was curious about Gundam and went to youtube to check it out. First video I saw was a guy getting a million kills, zipping around the map and oneshotting people with his melee weapon. gently caress THAT. I'm not looking to play another FPS game that has Doomfist in it. Hard pass for me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DrunkPanda posted:

Yeah I was curious about Gundam and went to youtube to check it out. First video I saw was a guy getting a million kills, zipping around the map and oneshotting people with his melee weapon. gently caress THAT. I'm not looking to play another FPS game that has Doomfist in it. Hard pass for me

That sounds like a blast to me dude, sorry you hated it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It honestly sounds like it rules and ill probably pick it up when im inevitably disillusioned with ow2

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Preview of the patch notes for launch

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824005/

Most notably they seem to have added a global 30% refund (so now all characters can get up to 30% charge refunded when swapping, not just DPS), and a new passive exclusive to DPS to compensate for this (DPS now get a brief non-stackable speed/reload boost for 2.5 seconds after a kill). The rest is the same patch notes that leaked last week for OWL.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ya know I will say, for as bad as the battle pass is and the poo poo with heroes being locked to it and all that, I am quite happy for lootboxes to be removed from the arcade modes as an incentive to win. It really made mystery heroes into what should be a goofy gently caress around mode, into just a bad time because getting lootboxed depended on you winning this complete roll of the dice game mode. Now there's nothing on the line and these mods can just exist for the sake of being goofy fun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ignis posted:

Most notably they seem to have added a global 30% refund (so now all characters can get up to 30% charge refunded when swapping, not just DPS), and a new passive exclusive to DPS to compensate for this (DPS now get a brief non-stackable speed/reload boost for 2.5 seconds after a kill). The rest is the same patch notes that leaked last week for OWL.

Whoa they actually did the ultimate passive thing I've mentioned

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ignis posted:

Lol they still have no idea what to do with Moira. Guess she's going to be unchanged at launch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Lol they still have no idea what to do with Moira. Guess she's going to be unchanged at launch.

Good. Moira doesn't need changing.

Unless they want to give her tracer-like 3 teleport charges and let her teleport during her ult.

Also remove healing orb slowdown when it's healing herself.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 21, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Moira was part of their low-skill/high-impact design phase that also brought us Brigitte, absolute garbage for the game

why are the characters from Japan the only ones with literal magic spirit ghost powers and poo poo :thunk: :thunk:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
All Japanese people can climb walls, is what Overwatch taught me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I admit I still don't get why moira is so despised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My friend who played the beta with me and prefers high execution fast characters in basically every game specifically disliked her and Winston for being so effective against the type of character he likes for relatively less effort, otherwise idk. Her yellow mists look gross, I guess that's something.