Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The engine of the Paystar 5600TS is actually a wormhole into another dimension that yearns for fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BlackIronHeart posted:

The engine of the Paystar 5600TS is actually a wormhole into another dimension that yearns for fuel.

I just used it for a job where I needed to move 5 cargo, so I simply towed a fuel truck behind me that was also a just in case rescuer (which I didn't need). Worked great

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

TjyvTompa posted:

I had to double check this and you are correct, they are all really bad, even the add-ons are bad. Very weird pack.

I'm normally fans of "bad" DLC trucks (the brigadier is one of my favorites) but I at minimum need either diff locks or AWD

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Been going through alaska and i hate that all scouts except my Big 2 (Loadstar 1700, F750) are the only ones that don't sink into every little mudpit.

I think the Khan is good too.

But am I doing something wrong? Should I be giving them chained instead of mud tires?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

Was it you that said, "I love you, 5600, but you're a rolling ecological disaster."?

padijun posted:

I'm normally fans of "bad" DLC trucks (the brigadier is one of my favorites) but I at minimum need either diff locks or AWD

Hey, hey, hey, the Brigadier only kinda sucks until lvl 14 or so, then it's a rocketship. IIRC, the Brigadier is the only DLC truck with level-gated upgrades. Which is weird. Too bad, I wanted to use it more early in this playthrough.

I feel you though. My favorite truck in Mudrunner was the B-256, a 4x6 civilian dump version of the Kraz 255B (w/diff lock). Struggle truck for sure, but it was fun to see how far I could get. The increased scope of this game means you're much more likely to get a weaker vehicle stuck after hours of work instead of a few minutes (and then re-rolling the map).

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got the trophies for completing all contracts and tasks. The former doesn't require all contracts, since logging and some of the post main goal ones (like cargopocalypse 1 and 2) were added later. But since PS5 was my 2nd time buying the game (first time I did Michigan and most of Alaska), I was so much more efficient that I still need 150-200km of driving to get the last trophy! Doesn't matter, I was planning on heading into the DLC anyway. I bought year 1 and now I'm zooming around Lake Kovd in that little 11 gallon jeep.

It's funny looking back at the first 3 areas. Michigan clearly underwent a climate disaster. Bridges aside, Alaska is mostly functional, just remote and neglected. Taymyr, on the other hand, feels like a post apocalyptic wasteland where the survivors are scrambling to fix destroyed industry before they freeze.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

madeintaipei posted:

Hey, hey, hey, the Brigadier only kinda sucks until lvl 14 or so, then it's a rocketship. IIRC, the Brigadier is the only DLC truck with level-gated upgrades. Which is weird. Too bad, I wanted to use it more early in this playthrough.

I feel you though. My favorite truck in Mudrunner was the B-256, a 4x6 civilian dump version of the Kraz 255B (w/diff lock). Struggle truck for sure, but it was fun to see how far I could get. The increased scope of this game means you're much more likely to get a weaker vehicle stuck after hours of work instead of a few minutes (and then re-rolling the map).

oh the brigadier is awesome, I used it with chained offroads last time I went to imandra and it couldn't get stuck because the crane gives you 9 lives. I think the only other standalone dlc trucks to level gate like that are the anniversary heavy duties, because imagine how broken they'd be if they were upgraded the moment you got to the black river garage. you can use them by the end of michigan though, and then they're perfect for alaska

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I played this game for like 20 hours back when it was released. I just got back into it after buying the Year 1 and 2 passes (which might have been a mistake seeing how many hours you guys put into this, I may not reach those maps...).

I started fresh since I forgot everything and the game told me my save was now incompatible with some newer content or something.

I'm having a hard time... Probably where I fell off the last time. I feel like I suck rear end because even if I follow this to give me an idea of stuff I should be able to do at my level : https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/go5i6y/oc_complete_walkthrough_michigan_all_achievements/
I'm still having issues. I even grabbed the Azov 64131 they mentioned and when they casually say to retrieve a drowned truck or reach the fuel pumps... I had such a hard time... I even cheated with that DLC scout I have...

I'm now level 7 or 8 and I have no more upgrades showing up on the first Michigan map. I managed a few upgrades on the 2nd Michigan map. I didn't manage to reach all towers yet, I think one is missing.

I'm even looking some Youtube videos sometimes on a mission where I just instantly get stuck and just stroll through with what looks like worse trucks. From this thread I decided to get the White Star on the 2nd Michigan map and you guys were saying it's enough Paystar once you get this but it sucks rear end. It doesn't even have AWD yet and I have no upgrades options.

I feel like I'm missing something and I can't do any of the missions let alone the main "story" ones.

I wanted to try some of the trucks you guys keep mentioning here but they suck rear end since I can't upgrade anything on them.

I did most of the first Michigan map. A bit of Alaska to get the Hummer and a couple upgrades. I think I only have one tower left (lower left) of the 2nd Michigan map. I didn't do much missions in the 2nd Michigan map as I'm having a hard time and it feels like if the first map is incomplete and giving me such a hard time too, I must not be ready for the 2nd one with my current equipment.

I really feel like if I fall back on the DLC trucks they gave me, it'll cheapen the experience and not make me better for harder maps.

Sorry for the wall of text... I'm really frustrated now and what started as a chill game to make me cope with some stresses in my life is turning sour a little bit. It's making me feel like a moron even though I've been playing all types of games for decades.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hemish posted:

I played this game for like 20 hours back when it was released. I just got back into it after buying the Year 1 and 2 passes (which might have been a mistake seeing how many hours you guys put into this, I may not reach those maps...).

I started fresh since I forgot everything and the game told me my save was now incompatible with some newer content or something.

I'm having a hard time... Probably where I fell off the last time. I feel like I suck rear end because even if I follow this to give me an idea of stuff I should be able to do at my level : https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/go5i6y/oc_complete_walkthrough_michigan_all_achievements/
I'm still having issues. I even grabbed the Azov 64131 they mentioned and when they casually say to retrieve a drowned truck or reach the fuel pumps... I had such a hard time... I even cheated with that DLC scout I have...

I'm now level 7 or 8 and I have no more upgrades showing up on the first Michigan map. I managed a few upgrades on the 2nd Michigan map. I didn't manage to reach all towers yet, I think one is missing.

I'm even looking some Youtube videos sometimes on a mission where I just instantly get stuck and just stroll through with what looks like worse trucks. From this thread I decided to get the White Star on the 2nd Michigan map and you guys were saying it's enough Paystar once you get this but it sucks rear end. It doesn't even have AWD yet and I have no upgrades options.

I feel like I'm missing something and I can't do any of the missions let alone the main "story" ones.

I wanted to try some of the trucks you guys keep mentioning here but they suck rear end since I can't upgrade anything on them.

I did most of the first Michigan map. A bit of Alaska to get the Hummer and a couple upgrades. I think I only have one tower left (lower left) of the 2nd Michigan map. I didn't do much missions in the 2nd Michigan map as I'm having a hard time and it feels like if the first map is incomplete and giving me such a hard time too, I must not be ready for the 2nd one with my current equipment.

I really feel like if I fall back on the DLC trucks they gave me, it'll cheapen the experience and not make me better for harder maps.

Sorry for the wall of text... I'm really frustrated now and what started as a chill game to make me cope with some stresses in my life is turning sour a little bit. It's making me feel like a moron even though I've been playing all types of games for decades.

Get online at some point and get one of us to help you over that hump. If you need a tower found we can help, if you need us to winch you from the mud while you winch another truck, we'll help, etc. This game is way more fun with goons than alone.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I don't think DLC trucks cheapen the experience. There are some really fun ones and I've been enjoying my second experience with the game (i played a bit during the release window and then changed consoles for this latest run through) and I've found the DLC trucks have contributed to my enjoyment big time. I enjoy driving them and yeah some helped big time early in the game but it did not stop me from being able to deal with the later stuff any worse off.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Hemish posted:

A few notes:

1. If you managed to get the white western star out of the 2nd map, you're definitely capable of some of the easier tasks/contracts on the first maps. There's some early contracts moving around the first map I bet you could tackle.

2. Maprunner is an excellent resource to find upgrades: https://www.maprunner.info/. Like the AWD you're missing. With upgrades, the starter pickup can handle all of Michigan upgrade/tower hunting. The lodestar is even better with upgrades. You already got the hummer which is probably better still.

3. Do not be afraid to scout out the upgrades and hunt for new trucks across an entire region. You absolutely do not have to 'finish' the 1st Michigan map to go to the 2nd then 3rd, etc. I'm on the first DLC myself and that's still how I play.... scout everything, maybe do some small tasks to unlock things or fix bridges, but get the maps cleared before the big hauls.

4. Snowrunner is a weird, unique experience because it is both very chill and very frustrating (at times). I might be driving around Imandra listening to chill music and crest a hill and think how beautiful it is and then 5 minutes later be stuck between two trees whispering motherfucker... over and over. Then an hour later have 3 separate trucks tipped over in the ice trying to rescue a 4th.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's been awhile but IIRC the actual trucks don't really start truckin and fuckin until rank 12+, whereas the scouts are just starting to get good where you're at. Upgraded tires, AWD/diff lock, and bigger engines are all things that literally take a lot of vehicles from zero to hero. Especially early on, the way to defeat huge mud pits is to avoid the huge mud pits, a tactic which remains reliable and sometimes necessary well into the end of the game. Go around the edges, shift into low with both AWD and diff on if you have them, plan on winching in advance, that sort of thing.

It's possible, and once the systems and strategies start clicking is when the game really gets its hooks in you. The 64131 you have is a monster and especially on the first couple maps of Michigan the odds are good that there's a better approach to consider. Most big tasks will have a longer but safer route and a shorter but quicker path that ends up taking twice as long but it's more fun.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

ultrachrist posted:

A few notes:

1. If you managed to get the white western star out of the 2nd map, you're definitely capable of some of the easier tasks/contracts on the first maps. There's some early contracts moving around the first map I bet you could tackle.

2. Maprunner is an excellent resource to find upgrades: https://www.maprunner.info/. Like the AWD you're missing. With upgrades, the starter pickup can handle all of Michigan upgrade/tower hunting. The lodestar is even better with upgrades. You already got the hummer which is probably better still.

3. Do not be afraid to scout out the upgrades and hunt for new trucks across an entire region. You absolutely do not have to 'finish' the 1st Michigan map to go to the 2nd then 3rd, etc. I'm on the first DLC myself and that's still how I play.... scout everything, maybe do some small tasks to unlock things or fix bridges, but get the maps cleared before the big hauls.

4. Snowrunner is a weird, unique experience because it is both very chill and very frustrating (at times). I might be driving around Imandra listening to chill music and crest a hill and think how beautiful it is and then 5 minutes later be stuck between two trees whispering motherfucker... over and over. Then an hour later have 3 separate trucks tipped over in the ice trying to rescue a 4th.

On number 3, I managed with the Khan 39 DLC scout (it feels like cheat mode as it outperforms the hummer with a couple upgrades) to reach the 3rd Michigan map but it was HARD! I don't see how a truck can go there, there must be a better longer way I didn't see as I'm missing the lower left tower on the 2nd map. When I finally reached it I wanted to get to the garage so I look online... no garage on that map... Yeah I don't see how I could play on the 3rd and 4th map for now!

Epic High Five posted:

It's been awhile but IIRC the actual trucks don't really start truckin and fuckin until rank 12+, whereas the scouts are just starting to get good where you're at. Upgraded tires, AWD/diff lock, and bigger engines are all things that literally take a lot of vehicles from zero to hero. Especially early on, the way to defeat huge mud pits is to avoid the huge mud pits, a tactic which remains reliable and sometimes necessary well into the end of the game. Go around the edges, shift into low with both AWD and diff on if you have them, plan on winching in advance, that sort of thing.

It's possible, and once the systems and strategies start clicking is when the game really gets its hooks in you. The 64131 you have is a monster and especially on the first couple maps of Michigan the odds are good that there's a better approach to consider. Most big tasks will have a longer but safer route and a shorter but quicker path that ends up taking twice as long but it's more fun.

The 64131 is a beast even with no upgrades? It felt good (slow, though) on the normal muddy roads that can give me some troubles occasionally on the first Michigan map but when I tried it on the tasks I couldn't manage before, it failed as quickly as the other ones. The drat drowned truck task... I look for the shallow water, put it on L, differential lock, etc... Move 1 meter in the poo poo and it's instantly stuck.

I'll play after dinner tonight. Maybe I'll try normal tasks on the second Michigan map to gain a few ranks. The main task is a drilling site thing and it doesn't show me where to grab the drill and Google is telling me it's on the second Michigan map even though my map doesn't show me the waypoint when I select it.

My hummer with the upgrades I can purchase is having real trouble in the second Michigan map. I ended up cheating with the Khan 39 DLC. These free trucks I have since day 1 feels overpowered so I didn't use them much.

I wish I had friends to play video games with. This feels like it could be a blast. I never really like to play with online communities because English is not my first language so I'm self conscious on voice chat.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
This sounds obvious, but if you're struggling with trucks that should be doing tasks with ease, make sure you haven't left them on highway tyres. I've lost count of the times I've gotten a brand new truck stuck in a puddle because I've left it on stock tyres. Also, the map only shows you waypoints on the map you're currently on. The drill is indeed in Smithville Dam, at the service hub east of the garage. Bring a five slot trailer to avoid disappointment.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

This sounds obvious, but if you're struggling with trucks that should be doing tasks with ease, make sure you haven't left them on highway tyres. I've lost count of the times I've gotten a brand new truck stuck in a puddle because I've left it on stock tyres. Also, the map only shows you waypoints on the map you're currently on. The drill is indeed in Smithville Dam, at the service hub east of the garage. Bring a five slot trailer to avoid disappointment.

Ooh I didn't think of switching map! I'll try that and it sounds easier than where I thought it would be... In my mind it would have been in the drilling site on the 2nd map and it's not a place I can easily go right now.

I know about tires but at my current rank level, I can't purchase poo poo for tires. My plan for tonight I think will be to try to finish scouting Michigan's second map and then see if I can knock some easier tasks to get a couple ranks and hopefully it will allow me to upgrade some stuff on those newer trucks.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Imandra is the worst level in any video game ever

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LeFishy posted:

Imandra is the worst level in any video game ever

Amur is Imandra turned into an entire region

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

turn off the TV posted:

Amur is Imandra turned into an entire region

amur at least grabs you from the start, whereas you're 80 miles from a garage when you find out you should have brought chained tires to climb the road of death

as to the guy struggling early ; a lot of those tasks ARE really hard early on , like pulling that truck out of the wet farm. don't mess much with contracts and stick to things that look easy. like people said, try to stay on the edge of mud pits instead of going through them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

michigan might be easiest overall but it still has its moments! that loving farm in smithville is such a death trap without muddies or at least off-roads :argh:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Got a better session tonight. I finished exploring and grabbing upgrades from Michigan's second map with my Hummer. I then tackled the Not a Drill mission on the first map with the White Star I found in the second map now that I had AWD and raised suspension unlocked for it.

It went very well until the last huge trailer. I thought I could cross the river between the Factory on the main northern road to reach the west part of the map and then go south to the drilling site. It got stuck 75% of the way after a lot of creative winching. I then decided to bring the DLC Bandit with a crane and I found out that little crane can't attach to vehicules... So I tried to winch my stuck truck+trailer for quite a while but the Bandit would just get stuck by itself without even reaching a winching distance.

I then tried a different DLC truck. Tetra something. This thing was a beast! It didn't get stuck getting in position but couldn't pull it out. I tried to unhook the trailer and winch it but it has these 2 legs when not hooked so you can't do that... The Tetra easily pulled out the Winstar by itself and then I went for broke since I had spent more time trying to get out of this than on the previous 2 steps of the task... I didn't have a high saddle equipped on the Tetra so I recovered and got one. Let me tell you, 1 trip with the Bandit and 2 trips with the Tetra to that river took forever... Jesus they're slow.

So I finally reach this spot with my high saddle and even though the Tetra could drive in the river, I didn't expect it to work on the retrieval but I attached the trailer and pulled it rather easily by winching to the light post I made sure was in range before trying this. I then made my way to the drill site from the north access.

I also stumbled on an upgrade I didn't see on my map... Are there hidden ones that don't show up with towers? THe online maps show them all and doesn't tell you if it's hidden so I feel it'll be a pain to track what I have and haven't... You can't also see your upgrades unless you have a truck compatible with it...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Hemish posted:

It went very well until the last huge trailer. I thought I could cross the river between the Factory on the main northern road to reach the west part of the map and then go south to the drilling site. It got stuck 75% of the way after a lot of creative winching. I then decided to bring the DLC Bandit with a crane and I found out that little crane can't attach to vehicules... So I tried to winch my stuck truck+trailer for quite a while but the Bandit would just get stuck by itself without even reaching a winching distance.

That should work unless they've changed something. Cranes can attach to other vehicles if you just drag the attachment point onto one.

quote:

I also stumbled on an upgrade I didn't see on my map... Are there hidden ones that don't show up with towers? THe online maps show them all and doesn't tell you if it's hidden so I feel it'll be a pain to track what I have and haven't... You can't also see your upgrades unless you have a truck compatible with it...

Yep, there are upgrades positioned just outside the 'reveal' radius of many towers. Maprunner is the big MVP for those.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hemish posted:

Got a better session tonight. I finished exploring and grabbing upgrades from Michigan's second map with my Hummer. I then tackled the Not a Drill mission on the first map with the White Star I found in the second map now that I had AWD and raised suspension unlocked for it.

I then tried a different DLC truck. Tetra something. This thing was a beast! It didn't get stuck getting in position but couldn't pull it out. I tried to unhook the trailer and winch it but it has these 2 legs when not hooked so you can't do that... The Tetra easily pulled out the Winstar by itself and then I went for broke since I had spent more time trying to get out of this than on the previous 2 steps of the task... I didn't have a high saddle equipped on the Tetra so I recovered and got one. Let me tell you, 1 trip with the Bandit and 2 trips with the Tetra to that river took forever... Jesus they're slow.

So I finally reach this spot with my high saddle and even though the Tetra could drive in the river, I didn't expect it to work on the retrieval but I attached the trailer and pulled it rather easily by winching to the light post I made sure was in range before trying this. I then made my way to the drill site from the north access.

You are learning quick. That is one of the most pain in the butt routes early on and you got it done!

Tatra 813? Badass Czech truck. Keep it in mind for the special big trailers for where you are in the game.

Yes, there are hidden upgrades. Those start in Alaska.
If you find a truck you like and want the upgrades, refer the map website. Later in the game (Imandra map), there is a scout trailer that helps you find hidden upgrades. It's a mobile watch tower, requiring a certain amount of fuel to run.

I like your stories, by the way. That is what Snowrunner is about. Every step you take in frustration is something we've all been through.
We are here to help. Like any job or hobby.

Keep at it, ask when you don't know, and have fun.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

That should work unless they've changed something. Cranes can attach to other vehicles if you just drag the attachment point onto one.

Yep, there are upgrades positioned just outside the 'reveal' radius of many towers. Maprunner is the big MVP for those.

Oh so if I see an upgrade icon outside the watchertower circles on maprunner.info, chances are I wouldn't see it in game? This might make things easier to track.

madeintaipei posted:

You are learning quick. That is one of the most pain in the butt routes early on and you got it done!

Tatra 813? Badass Czech truck. Keep it in mind for the special big trailers for where you are in the game.

Yes, there are hidden upgrades. Those start in Alaska.
If you find a truck you like and want the upgrades, refer the map website. Later in the game (Imandra map), there is a scout trailer that helps you find hidden upgrades. It's a mobile watch tower, requiring a certain amount of fuel to run.

I like your stories, by the way. That is what Snowrunner is about. Every step you take in frustration is something we've all been through.
We are here to help. Like any job or hobby.

Keep at it, ask when you don't know, and have fun.

I think Tetra 813 is the one. I got a handful of DLC truck with the Year passes without needing to buy them inside the game. I did my best to stay away because they felt overpowered but I gave in with that river business...

I'll come back with stories when I have more! I started trying to fix problems with other trucks now that I have a few so making your own content is good for stories.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
One thing I find neat about Immandra/Lake Kovd is I just finished a WW2 Russian novel (Stalingrad) and he makes a point of visiting the freezing remote areas that Soviet workers were shipped off to to mine, set up factories, etc. Nice seeing this concept visualized. Also helps drive home the point that one of the biggest reasons the Axis lost WW2 is the sheer size and hostility of Russia.

Hemish posted:

Oh so if I see an upgrade icon outside the watchertower circles on maprunner.info, chances are I wouldn't see it in game? This might make things easier to track.

Yes, it's annoying and I've never liked it. Sometimes they are just outside the watchtower too. When I realized this the first time, I started always having maprunner up on my phone while scouting an area for the first time.

There's also a few unlockable trucks outside the watchtower view range. IIRC, the ank in Pedro Bay is one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

following along makes me kinda want to start a new game and see if the Intl Loadstar 1700 is as lit as I remember it being for the early game

As-is it's my favorite truck in the game for its speed, handling, and engine sound. I use it for all my actual scouting with high-range as long as I can mostly avoid deep mud or snow; it's also good fun for being an Idiot

https://i.imgur.com/WKdK3lt.mp4

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

ultrachrist posted:

Yes, it's annoying and I've never liked it. Sometimes they are just outside the watchtower too. When I realized this the first time, I started always having maprunner up on my phone while scouting an area for the first time.

There's also a few unlockable trucks outside the watchtower view range. IIRC, the ank in Pedro Bay is one.

Yeah I must have zoned out the tutorial message telling me about this but I found out earlier when going to the drill site on the first Michigan map. I just checked maprunner and it's right on the circle's edge. I would have assumed a watchtower would have seen it and that I had gotten it. Good thing I now know about this with only the first 2 maps of Michigan to "backtrack" on those upgrades. I barely had started the first Alaska one so I'll be able to do it like the first time when I decide to go back there (only went to get the Hummer).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

following along makes me kinda want to start a new game and see if the Intl Loadstar 1700 is as lit as I remember it being for the early game

As-is it's my favorite truck in the game for its speed, handling, and engine sound. I use it for all my actual scouting as long as I can mostly avoid deep mud or snow, as well as for being an Idiot

https://i.imgur.com/WKdK3lt.mp4

Lol those trailers are so much heavier than you'd think

It's a wonderful Scout, I used it forever until I fully upgraded the 750. It's always a tossup whenever I'm starting a new area if I load up it or the Yar, though for the last few maps I did I actually scouted them with an Actaeon because I like the frankentrucks. It's basically a souped up 1700 when you think about it!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Lol those trailers are so much heavier than you'd think

i swear to god they must gain weight twenty times over when they're attached as a trailer or something 'cause IIRC they hurt my handling a lot less on a winch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

i swear to god they must gain weight twenty times over when they're attached as a trailer or something 'cause IIRC they hurt my handling a lot less on a winch

Basically all the cargo in the game has different weights depending on if its packed or not so it wouldn't surprise me at all, may also be why you can just pack a scout fuel trailer on top of the larger scouts and it affects your performance a lot less than you'd expect

First scout I tried it on outside of Imandra was the TUZ officer's car and when I tried to break it literally pushed the car under it

edit - found it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Basically all the cargo in the game has different weights depending on if its packed or not

what

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Yuuuup. Why do you think I always use sideboard vs. flat bed? Sometime unpacking cargo gives that little bit of a push to get you through.

Is there a goon Discord for Snowrunner? Anyone willing to start one for new players? I'm on PS4, so asking for a friend.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Probably still accurate, I suspect it's why sometimes your truck will rock around a bit when you pack cargo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Load up an 8 slot trailer, get stuck on a hill, then hit unpack and watch the thing bounce upwards

That long log thing is insane. A sideboard trailer with a dozen long logs weighs less than 3 of them packed into 1 deliverable unit , wow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well if you'll all excuse me i have some life decisions to rethink vis a vis unnecessarily frustrating heavy convoys in e.g. amur

madeintaipei posted:

Yuuuup. Why do you think I always use sideboard vs. flat bed? Sometime unpacking cargo gives that little bit of a push to get you through.

Is there a goon Discord for Snowrunner? Anyone willing to start one for new players? I'm on PS4, so asking for a friend.

i thought it was because the poles on the flatbed get stuck in anything + everything in a way the sideboards don't :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 22, 2022

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Some gearbox questions:

What is the intended usage of the H / High gear? Sometimes I shift into it and the truck really starts hauling rear end, sometimes it slows the truck down and it feels like keeping it in A is better. I get that you need to have and maintain decent speed/RPM to use H but I can't really get a handle on what determines how the truck is going to behave once I shift into it.

Is there a consensus on the "best" gearbox? I had figured Offroad was best since so much of the game is, you know, offroad. But I recently tried Highrange on a couple trucks and it feels a lot faster and more powerful. I guess maybe Highrange is generally better but Offroad might be good for trucks where you can only switch the diff lock on when it's in low gear?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
High gear saves fuel, and seems to be the speed of about 2.5 (in an offroad gearbox) or 5.5 (in high range gearbox). But it has a lot of torque, so it's often faster to just stay in high gear than have the truck repeatedly downshift into first. This is real noticeable on the road up to the smithville dam garage. Start at the bottom and try to use auto in a lot of early trucks and they just can't help by downshift repeatedly. 95% of my trucking, I'm either in L+ or in H, and can usually shift directly from L+ to H in an offroad gearbox.

As to gearboxes ,in Alaska, Wisconsin and Tennessee I used a lot of highrange gearboxes. But I only put them on trucks that have always on differentials, which works out to (of trucks I like) : Voron AE, Taygas, and Loadstar 1700. You also really need to know the map so you don't flip at high speed. The reason for this is that you need to be in L-/L/L+ to engage the differential if it's not always on, so any speed you gain from being in H is going to be lost when you're slogging away in L instead of L+.

Exception to the rule : when double twinsteering, I highrange gearbox the chained tire one, and offroad gearbox the mud tire one. That's in large part because with AWD, one set of tires can find traction somewhere even without the diff engaged.

And of course, a bunch of trucks, like the F750, have their own special gearbox so you don't even end up making this kind of decision.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 22, 2022

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I have the same experience as Bold Robot, each time I tried to put it in H, the truck is a lot slower than A. I even tried to switch to H when I'm at max speed with A and it's like I put 2 feet on the break and then it settles at a fraction of the normal A speed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hemish posted:

I have the same experience as Bold Robot, each time I tried to put it in H, the truck is a lot slower than A. I even tried to switch to H when I'm at max speed with A and it's like I put 2 feet on the break and then it settles at a fraction of the normal A speed.

H is objectively slower on solid smooth ground, and risks stalling if you suddenly lose power, but trying to get over hills - especially while laden - tends to make A have to downshift where H would not stall out

and to be clear here, by "downshift" i don't mean drop from 5th to 4th; no, it goes straight back to first and leaves you nearly stopped on a loving hill because it's really not like an IRL automatic gearbox at all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there's a sort-of-workaround to make A not entirely poo poo in those situations tho: just tapping LB or whatever the keyboard key is to shift gears without holding it while you're in A makes the truck immediately shift to the highest gear that it can. accelerate quite a bit faster that way, and be generally less annoyed at A gear being a freaking dumbass

you can also do a dumb trick in trucks with a high speed H gear, like the voron ae and intl loadstar 1700: from a stop in A, accelerate while tapping LB until you see it go to 2nd, then quickly shift to H. leave it there for a sec (feel it out) then go back to A. you'll end up in a higher gear faster (tho probably not by much) than just staying on A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'll turn these tortoises into hares yet, by god

(e) so this isn't a total shitpost here's a question I've been meaning to ask. On trucks that have both off-roads and mud tires, where do you draw the line between using one or the other? i've always must used muddies unless I couldn't, from the moment I unlocked em in the first place

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 23, 2022