Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Going back to MMO/Diablo-likes, battlenet has recently poo poo the bed when it comes to installing and updating both the battlenet client itself and games unf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They all thought I was mad for spending a week trying to get Diablo 2 running on my Deck, but it bypasses the battle.net launcher so who's laughing now!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No delivery service gives me more headaches than FedEx. My Deck was set to be delivered today. It arrived in my state a couple hours ago and now my update delivery has been updated to end of day tomorrow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Opopanax posted:

They all thought I was mad for spending a week trying to get Diablo 2 running on my Deck, but it bypasses the battle.net launcher so who's laughing now!

How did you manage this? I have it on switch already but why not beat my head against a wall for... reasons?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Suburban Dad posted:

How did you manage this? I have it on switch already but why not beat my head against a wall for... reasons?

Ultimately I had to install it on a pc and then move the files over. Simple solution but a lot of trial and error to get there

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Is it on this thread that someone was mentioning Vampire Survivors crawling during the final 5-10 minutes on the Deck? I've been doing a good few runs on mine and it worked out just fine, even with the absolute ability spam that takes place in those last 5 minutes. And that was with the TDP set to 8W.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think I may finally pull the trigger on ordering a Steam Deck. Is the thread consensus still that you're best off saving money and getting the 64gig model, and just using high capacity SD cards?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FishMcCool posted:

Is it on this thread that someone was mentioning Vampire Survivors crawling during the final 5-10 minutes on the Deck? I've been doing a good few runs on mine and it worked out just fine, even with the absolute ability spam that takes place in those last 5 minutes. And that was with the TDP set to 8W.

It’s not like the game has a lot of settings to tweaks but uh….

https://i.imgur.com/Fal3FEU.mp4

I think there’s just a point where scaling gets out of hand and the game tanks. If you keep yourself relatively low level and dont go for a super ultimate gold farm you’ll be fine. I did almost all of the collection objectives (get 31 minute clears, level characters to 100, find secrets) on the Deck just fine with no noticeable lag. It’s when you push things to the absolute limit that thinks get wonky.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 21, 2022

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
How does installing stuff on SD cards work. Can I put a bunch of games on one and another bunch of games on another and just swap them out when I want to play?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DrWrestling69 posted:

How does installing stuff on SD cards work. Can I put a bunch of games on one and another bunch of games on another and just swap them out when I want to play?

It works exactly like that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I think I may finally pull the trigger on ordering a Steam Deck. Is the thread consensus still that you're best off saving money and getting the 64gig model, and just using high capacity SD cards?

Yeah.

You could also just throw the $50 512 gb nvme drive in there as well.

It just depends on if you want to save money or not. I like the “better screen” on the 512 because I take my deck on the road a lot but a screen protector does nearly the same thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish I could sort my games and do categories and poo poo through the mobile app. :argh:

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

MockingQuantum posted:

Shaders for games are large and have to go on the internal storage currently. You would likely need to upgrade the internal storage as well. This isn't too difficult, but if you aren't a computer toucher, you may not want to do that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know that there's a consensus here. If you get the 64 GB model I would be prepared to swap out the storage if you don't do it immediately, otherwise the 256 GB model will give you some room to stretch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Conversely, having 64GB will save you from having dozens of games installed which then saves you from sitting through dozens of shader updates every day.

The 64GB device is a really good deal for the price - that's where Valve is subsidizing the largest chunk of the cost - especially if you don't mind putting on a $10 matte screen protector and expanding either via the SD or even putting in nvme yourself. I'm very happy with the 512GB but would probably have bought the 64GB if I knew on launch day what we know now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What's the best Picross or Picross-like game to play on the Steam Deck

nerox
May 20, 2001

v1ld posted:

Conversely, having 64GB will save you from having dozens of games installed which then saves you from sitting through dozens of shader updates every day.

The 64GB device is a really good deal for the price - that's where Valve is subsidizing the largest chunk of the cost - especially if you don't mind putting on a $10 matte screen protector and expanding either via the SD or even putting in nvme yourself. I'm very happy with the 512GB but would probably have bought the 64GB if I knew on launch day what we know now.

I wish I had just bought the 64 gig now that a drop in 1tb drive is available, and my deck hasn’t even gotten to me yet.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Jet posted:

Picross DS and Picross3D on the DS emulator

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

nerox posted:

I wish I had just bought the 64 gig now that a drop in 1tb drive is available, and my deck hasn’t even gotten to me yet.

If it hasn't been shipped, cancel! The 64GB queues are much shorter, are they not?

nerox
May 20, 2001

v1ld posted:

If it hasn't been shipped, cancel! The 64GB queues are much shorter, are they not?

It's already shipped going to be here tomorrow.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Ooh. If you find anything better than Picross DS please let me know.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Has anyone tried using the touch screen for board games like Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne? I've read mixed things on the touch screen accuracy or even registering touches.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

nerox posted:

It's already shipped going to be here tomorrow.

Well, congrats!

It's not like the extra storage is wasted. Here's me modding Skyrim on the Steam Deck itself, plugged into the same USB C hub that my work laptop is usually plugged into. I do any and all modding on the Deck itself with the same monitor/keyboard/mouse/powered speakers/webcam that my laptop and desktop otherwise use. The extra space and pretty decent memory is definitely useful when you're, say, running programs to generate LODs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pirate Jet posted:

If Steam Deck Yuzu can run it - Picross S1-8 on Switch

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fadam posted:

Other than Vampire Survivors, any recommendations for a roguelike I can screw around in and half pay attention to while watching TV?

"Fights in Tight Spaces" is perfect for the deck, turn based, a run takes about 40-60 minutes but you can save a run at any time. It's a really good game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s not like the game has a lot of settings to tweaks but uh….

https://i.imgur.com/Fal3FEU.mp4

I think there’s just a point where scaling gets out of hand and the game tanks. If you keep yourself relatively low level and dont go for a super ultimate gold farm you’ll be fine. I did almost all of the collection objectives (get 31 minute clears, level characters to 100, find secrets) on the Deck just fine with no noticeable lag. It’s when you push things to the absolute limit that thinks get wonky.

Fair play, that's stretching the performance limits alright.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone have experience using Stadia on the Deck? I hear Edge is a better browser than Chrome. I might just use it for Destiny and use the card to store more games on Steam OS, battery life on Windows is fairly atrocious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FishMcCool posted:

Fair play, that's stretching the performance limits alright.

I turned off damage numbers and now it’s hovering around 10fps on similar conditions which for leaving the thing idling and farming, is working out much better

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It works exactly like that.

Nice. I got a 64gb deck reserved and picked up a 256gb memory card but I've got a couple of smaller ones that could be repurposed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

Murder by Numbers?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Harlock posted:

If Steam Deck Yuzu can run it - Picross S1-8 on Switch

Haven't tried them on Deck but can confirm that these are of excellent value - I've gotten dozens of hours out of each one of the 4 or so of these I've played.

Voxelgram was great on desktop PC and I imagine it'd work well on Deck too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to search my library or sort it from “most-recently purchased to least-recently”? It’s comically annoying to install a game I just bought on another machine or the app.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
For the goon who was wondering if it's Valve blocking MS Gamepass on Deck or Microsoft:

Play Halo Infinite, Deathloop, and More with Xbox Cloud Gaming on the Logitech G CLOUD Handheld

e: lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vic posted:

For the goon who was wondering if it's Valve blocking MS Gamepass on Deck or Microsoft:

Play Halo Infinite, Deathloop, and More with Xbox Cloud Gaming on the Logitech G CLOUD Handheld

Deck does xcloud just fine which is all this new thing is?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vic posted:

Nobody is wondering that

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah but I read it as a pretty clear signal they're gunning for their own handheld. G-CLOAD PRO in the works.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/lawrenceyang/status/1572438040173490182

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nobody is wondering that

veni veni veni posted:

I assumed Valve would be the roadblock vs Microsoft. Seems like MS wants gamepass on every platform that will allow it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nobody with half a brain cell I guess!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

nobody with half a brain cell I guess!!!

Sorry to hear about your condition. :sax: