Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

YES. That's one of those "I feel like I played it in a dream" games because it left no mark on anything but I loved it as a kid. The mix of physical objects and drawing was a good look, and it was creepy and gross without being too outright scary for a kid. It was also hard as poo poo at times, with your yoyo attack being just barely longer than the enemy's range, and there are a lot of fast movement areas.

It was pretty brutal too, Ned gets the poo poo kicked out of him by all the monsters.

The school level was good for variety but I think the one everyone remembers most is the medical/dental level.

Yeah the art mixing was one of the parts I remember so distinctly. Loved the creepy photorealistic fish head on one of the animals in the mansion level, or the stop motion boss fights in the school level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the art mixing was one of the parts I remember so distinctly. Loved the creepy photorealistic fish head on one of the animals in the mansion level, or the stop motion boss fights in the school level.

The stop motion fights were something that I remember distinctly because each one had you figuring out the puzzle of how to beat it and then I watched a playthrough as an adult and went "wait, they're all just solved by hitting the one other thing in the room with them, was I an idiot as a kid"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just make a new Alien Isolation but 30% shorter goddamn.

Disposable Scud posted:

I can't be scared when I am constantly thinking "Christ I wish my dong was that big". There's not a small dick in sight. Every dong hanging is a big ol' stiffy.

You should play Outlast 2 where one of the antagonists who uses she/her pronouns fights you naked and they have a tiny shriveled dick because Outlast 2.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I just looked up what the cut audio log in Outlast 2 was after someone mentioned it and what the actual gently caress, Red Barrels?

:nms:

An audio log that consists entirely of a priest raping a child is not something that needs to exist

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
It looks like a bunch of outlets and YouTubers were given access to Scorn. There is actual new footage and gameplay this time, though it still doesn’t really look particularly different than anything we have seen before. Here is Gamespot’s gameplay, but there is more all over YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5069YMgJ9mE

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Bogart posted:

Outlast feels like it's just throwing gore and violence and sexual assault in your face constantly like isn't this freaky? Aren't you freaked out? AAH! See, I got you, I scared you. And there's a very clear line separating dread and fear from yuck and jumpscare.

Outlast starts off pretty strong with the spooky atmosphere and breaking into the hospital with just the camera, but once I figured out the timing of when a jump scare would happen (it was pretty easy to figure out the rhythm after a little bit) it became incredibly tedious as I walked around saying "And jump scare in 3....2....yup, there it is". I eventually just gave up on it after I got stuck on some chase sequence in one of the wards.

I remain firm in my feeling that Outlast loving sucks and I'm glad the only exposure to Outlast 2 I had was the demo which was enough for me to say "Yeah, no thanks, I'm all set".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Furthering the juxtaposition between Resident Evil 7 and Outlast there are multiple times wheelchair granny just spawns in a hallway doing nothing and Capcom's incredible restraint to not have her grab you which Outlast does like every time without fail.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fil5000 posted:

I just looked up what the cut audio log in Outlast 2 was after someone mentioned it and what the actual gently caress, Red Barrels?

I bet they'd share a table with David Cage.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

al-azad posted:

Furthering the juxtaposition between Resident Evil 7 and Outlast there are multiple times wheelchair granny just spawns in a hallway doing nothing and Capcom's incredible restraint to not have her grab you which Outlast does like every time without fail.

The first wheelchair jump scare in Outlast was what made me realize the rhythm of the scares. Almost every other jump scare I encountered was on the same rhythm.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

joylessdivision posted:

The first wheelchair jump scare in Outlast was what made me realize the rhythm of the scares. Almost every other jump scare I encountered was on the same rhythm.

Can you describe the "rhythm" in more detail? I'm quite curious.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Walk by ominous thing to objective marker, double back to thing your mind has told you is "safe", thing is no longer safe and goes OOGA BOOGA BOOGA at you.

Alternatively walk into place where things are ominous, it's quiet and spooky to reel you in with things to pay attention to, OOGA BOOGA BOOGA is placed to jar you out of exploration mode after enough time has passed for your mental window to shift.

It's like when you get so familiar with a game that you've not finished before that you can predict when combat encounters will happen just because of a room layout.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
That creepy dreamlike feeling of turning the corner in PT will never be matched, will it? :smith:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doomykins posted:

Walk by ominous thing to objective marker, double back to thing your mind has told you is "safe", thing is no longer safe and goes OOGA BOOGA BOOGA at you.

Alternatively walk into place where things are ominous, it's quiet and spooky to reel you in with things to pay attention to, OOGA BOOGA BOOGA is placed to jar you out of exploration mode after enough time has passed for your mental window to shift.

It's like when you get so familiar with a game that you've not finished before that you can predict when combat encounters will happen just because of a room layout.

Outlast 1 especially was bad for this. They wanted you to look around for documents and such but didn't have the self confidence to have a section where you flipped a switch and just walked back to where you came from so there were a lot of "press button to spawn monster" sections.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
gotcha; I wasn't sure if there was anything more specific.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

That creepy dreamlike feeling of turning the corner in PT will never be matched, will it? :smith:

LSD: Dream Emulator, while not a horror game per se, is the most top tier "this feels like a dream" and the most unnerving "No sir, I do not like this. I do not like this At All" gaming experience I think I've had. Even when nothing was going on I was basically "Nope nope nope!"ing my way through everything.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

LSD: Dream Emulator, while not a horror game per se, is the most top tier "this feels like a dream" and the most unnerving "No sir, I do not like this. I do not like this At All" gaming experience I think I've had. Even when nothing was going on I was basically "Nope nope nope!"ing my way through everything.

Ahh poo poo, I just realized I can have my partner :filez: that game now that he got a little emulator thing.

We've been playing Illbleed. :getin:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been mentally putting together a horror trope list I should really commit to just writing a document. Some things that just stick out in my head on demand:

Dead end, turn around to scenery change or jumpscare

Locked in a room with spooky sounds. You just wait until the door unlocks.

Approaching an intersection and jumpscare darts by.

A quiet walk through a suspiciously large area with places to hide and maze-like barriers with a MacGuffin at the end which locks the exit and spawns the monster

Spooky thing watches you in the distance and either vanishes as you approach it or jumpscare edition it runs towards you before vanishing

I call this the Pyramid Head buildup but monster is safely contained on the other side of a partition then is gone when you return to the area. Combine this with picking up MacGuffin and it turns into an ambush event.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

al-azad posted:

I've been mentally putting together a horror trope list I should really commit to just writing a document. Some things that just stick out in my head on demand:

snip

I call this the Pyramid Head buildup but monster is safely contained on the other side of a partition then is gone when you return to the area. Combine this with picking up MacGuffin and it turns into an ambush event.

Adding to this, the sequel: your character is "safe" in an area while watching an NPC they've just spoken to be horribly murdered.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Audiolog that gives away the entire "the killer was you + it was all a dream" plot twist within the first 5 minutes.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Bit late but the best part of condemned 2 was the investigation bits where you can choose to play as detective dumbass

"Were humans even around 10,000 years ago?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Adding to this, the sequel: your character is "safe" in an area while watching an NPC they've just spoken to be horribly murdered.

Lots of Half-Life moments of that although it was a funny cruel joke that you're not actually safe in the area of Blast Pit when the scientist is yanked out of the room.

Gargantua's stomp attack was another great Half-Life moment of "you're not safe in that low tunnel"

e: Half-Life is secretly the best directed horror game

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

al-azad posted:

A quiet walk through a suspiciously large area with places to hide and maze-like barriers with a MacGuffin at the end which locks the exit and spawns the monster

Spooky thing watches you in the distance and either vanishes as you approach it or jumpscare edition it runs towards you before vanishing

This is literally all of Visage lmao

Outlast kinda sucks for being boring and predictable after the first half hour or so but I'll actually go to bat for the dicks. There's really no better way of grossing out the average cis het gaming rig-haver than slapping 'em with big ol' uncensored weiners so it's both effective shock value and adds +1 to the amount of video games with full frontal male nudity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think outlasts gameplay loop would work better if there was some, even small degree of randomness or proc gen to it. Also longer sections without jump scares. The problem with it is that it’s really effective (at the time at least) for a little while but becomes so by the numbers that after a little while the scares are super predictable and way less effective. In that sense the shock value actually has some merit because at least it’s not a by the numbers jump scare.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Right, jumpscares only work if you resist the urge to do them every time you can. Once you start doing them any time there's any amount of tension, it just becomes the baseline.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I think a big reason Whistleblower is still generally considered the best of the three is because it benefits from being really short. It's easier to get away with a couple telegraphed jump scares if your game is only about an hour and a half long.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Trager stuff was really good I thought

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Aside from the really obviously lovely stuff that Outlast 2 does, I think the environment was the biggest misstep.

One of the things that I will genuinely defend Outlast 1 on is the claustrophobic atmosphere in its level design. The night vision camera perfectly complements the environments you need to sneak through. Even though you can see in the dark and the enemies can't, it's still scary as poo poo to have them right up in your face and slowly coming your way, knowing that you're dead if you don't do something quick. 2 has these big, sweeping, wide open environments, so you can go whole sections without getting up close with anyone, and it defeats the main selling point of the night vision camera mechanic imo

Also the fact that the game expects you to feel threatened by literal lepers that my grandma could easily shake off after a handle of Mad Dog 20/20

al-azad
May 28, 2009

End of Zoe proves that horror is best at 90 minutes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Played more Evil Within. I can't play more than one chapter a time so this taking a long time to finish but I think I have only 4 chapters left now. I definitely like the environments and the body horror going in this game. The bosses are cool but man this game's combat is clunky so its hard to do environmental dmg to the bosses which is the most efficient way of killing them. I usually just end up blowing all my ammo on them. They better explain this STEM brain link poo poo at the end.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
lmao

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Oh buddy

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I think a big reason Whistleblower is still generally considered the best of the three is because it benefits from being really short. It's easier to get away with a couple telegraphed jump scares if your game is only about an hour and a half long.

That and a certain section having a legit fun antagonist.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 22, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

Aside from the really obviously lovely stuff that Outlast 2 does, I think the environment was the biggest misstep.

One of the things that I will genuinely defend Outlast 1 on is the claustrophobic atmosphere in its level design. The night vision camera perfectly complements the environments you need to sneak through. Even though you can see in the dark and the enemies can't, it's still scary as poo poo to have them right up in your face and slowly coming your way, knowing that you're dead if you don't do something quick. 2 has these big, sweeping, wide open environments, so you can go whole sections without getting up close with anyone, and it defeats the main selling point of the night vision camera mechanic imo

Also the fact that the game expects you to feel threatened by literal lepers that my grandma could easily shake off after a handle of Mad Dog 20/20

I have nothing to add to this but totally agree.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

FirstAidKite posted:

The Trager stuff was really good I thought

It is! Trager is also the antagonist with the most personality, his section is an open ended little maze with chances for emergent gameplay instead of being purely scripted and he gets only one section. Thinking about it Soma is very similar in the "one section per unique antagonist" approach so I don't have to imagine if Outlast 1 did that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Static sounds just before a monster appearing.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
I missed out on Condemned 1 and have had it sitting in my Steam library unplayed for ages, so this year I'm finally doing it. The graphics don't hold up and to be honest neither does the gameplay but the atmosphere still kicks rear end. It will probably never happen but I would love a series reboot with modern tech so you can really feel the grit and grime. And maybe like 80% less overtly supernatural stuff. I know they really ramped it up in the sequel because I played that one* but there's plenty of it in the first one, too. Also would be cool not to play a cop, even a cop that all the other cops hate. Maybe a reporter with combat experience or something like that one dude from Hotline Miami, or a jacked Jake Gyllenhaal from Nightcrawler.

*I had a PS3 that generation and if I'm remembering right, Bloodshot was a PS3-only sequel to the XBox/PC-exclusive Condemned? Games publishing is dumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

Maybe a reporter with combat experience or something like that one dude from Hotline Miami, or a jacked Jake Gyllenhaal from Nightcrawler.

Why you diss Frank West like that, he's covered wars you know?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

al-azad posted:

Why you diss Frank West like that, he's covered wars you know?

Did not want to diss my man Frank by placing him in a lower power tier.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

SkeletonHero posted:

*I had a PS3 that generation and if I'm remembering right, Bloodshot was a PS3-only sequel to the XBox/PC-exclusive Condemned? Games publishing is dumb.

Both were on Xbox, that's how I played them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Condemned really is one of my favourite games of that era. The whole apocalyptic atmosphere that's totally incidental to the actual plot of the game, the dead birds everywhere, literally every loving place in the city being abandoned, the creeping decay, it loving rules. I don't even mind the supernatural stuff that much, but maybe giving you superpowers was a bit much. I still love Condemned 2, though - the loving BEAR is an all-timer horror game sequence.