Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mr Scumbag posted:

Has anyone played "All The Magic: Spellbound"? Can Ghasts even spawn?

I've been searching for over 3 hours and checking the map for Ghast icons and I've seen not a single loving one. Not ONE. I'm in a basalt delta where they SHOULD be able to spawn, but who knows what the gently caress with this pack. There's virtually no info on it when Googling.

I don't recall there being any problems with Ghasts, they were as annoying as usual in my playthrough. That was white a while back, however. I think I ended up with some sort of transmute for ghast tears, but I don't recall exactly what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
NomiCEU's 'hardmode' is weirdly fun. Not having DML and Numis being more expensive drastically changes things up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How on earth are you supposed to do anything at scale in Nomifactory without DML?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wonder if they tweaked fluid fuel combustion. I thought it was odd that draconium stuff was gated on cetane boosted diesel. It felt like I had to put a pause on progression and go back a few tiers for a bit.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Im scared to log back in to my nomifactory.

Draconic infusions were acting real weird.

I put enough stuff in to make 12 draconic infusers. Went out for the day. Came back, it had made 3, then refused to charge past 50%

Dicking around for hours. Found out that the infusers dont really play nicely with ender io conduits. So its a matter of 'find the side thats actually going to accept power for this infusion'. (and that changes)

I thought it was a power problem, so i built 16 big turbines and cranked a bucket load of solar.

Now, the bit i cant explain.

My turbines and solar were hooked up to Super Ender io conduits. rest of base was on Sig conduits.

No cross over at all.

I cranked out like 100 vib cap banks (remember i thought it was a power issue)
These where only hooked into the solar and turbines while i tried the, do they need all the rf at the start to work step of problem solving.

When i left in the morning, my numi's were at about 12mill rf stored, (each) so my base was running at about 50% capacity, probably less.

After i got my draconic infusers 'working' i noticed my numi's were all at 0 rf stored.

Had burned through 50k pristine shulker.

I rushed around and changed all my conduits over to Super so that i could support with the solar and turbines while my draconic sat idle,.

Yeah, nothing changed.

b) try to add another 16 - 32 turbines, build another 1-2 fusion reactors, while crafting VIII solar panels (neptunium is a bottle neck)
I had zero problem with conduits connecting to the infusers. I was coming in along the side to the left or right.

I only had four until I started making naquadah reactors, and didn't make super towers until I had creative power.

Neptunium should not be an issue so long as you have a breeder and you just don't feed all of it in. I think you can prioritize that or just use a level emitter while boosting up.

One nice thing about those caps is that you can still use them to gate flow to your infusions. Also, you will need all that automation for the last quest anyways.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
any opinions on tekkit 2?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
and/or recommendations for tekkit successors that are for minecraft versions newer than 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm back. I've been playing vanilla modern Minecraft and really enjoying it, and of course one thought leads to another and... are there any good modern packs with a focus on exploration? I'm not into automation or building factories (that's what Factorio / Satisfactory are for!) but I'd love to go on a hiking adventure and build cabins and maybe do some cave-diving.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

tokin opposition posted:

and/or recommendations for tekkit successors that are for minecraft versions newer than 2017

Tekkit is just a kitchen sink pack, right? Enigmatica 6 or All The Mods 7 are pretty good options - 1.16.x and 1.18.x respectively and still receiving updates. They both have quests that you can follow if you want but you can ignore em pretty easily.

I think the only current space travel mod might be a Fabric mod and I'm not super current on Fabric modpacks so you're on your own if you want that type of endgame.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Tekkit 2 is ok I guess, I think it's meant more for multiplayer with the amount of crafting, building, automating, and chunkloading you want to do. Some people are just building their tekkit 2 world around projectE, power flowers, and EMC collection and I feel that takes away from everything else about the modpack.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

After hours of looking this stuff up, arguing with curseforge and java and yadda yadda... I think I've got a modpack I like, I have a shader I love, and I'm ready to settle in and play and explore!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

More GTNH fun: solidly in IV now. Built a fluid nuke for power expansion, and started the long, gradual process of moving into my superflat personal dimension.

Fluid nukes require a lot of safeguards, because they have many failure conditions. All the failure conditions explode. Some of the explosions are nuclear in scope. I am measuring a lot of performance indicators and requiring them all to be nominal before it the nuke can start.

I was recently shown how to use the ProjectRed integrated circuits.

These let you design a custom IC on a blueprint, then fab it for use in the field.

It's simple for now, but eventually I'm going to replace it with a version that also intelligently checks the fill of my energy storage and throttles the nukes if I'm full on power.

I also built a starter Lapotronic Super Capacitor. This is the primary energy storage device in GTNH 2.2.0.0. (2.2.0.0 is not quite out yet, officially, but I'm playing a release candidate version from their chat server.)

It only has 63 EV capacitors in it, so it doesn't really hold very much.

Next up is building out ore processing, then working on platline.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

StrixNebulosa posted:

After hours of looking this stuff up, arguing with curseforge and java and yadda yadda... I think I've got a modpack I like, I have a shader I love, and I'm ready to settle in and play and explore!

Looks rad! What did you end up settling on?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Looks rad! What did you end up settling on?

After cursing a lot at Curseforge - seriously, you can't use those modpacks without installing their launcher? gently caress off.

I went looking through what MultiMC could offer and:

SevTech: Ages is fascinating but also really, really obtuse to a kind of new player. Which is part of the point I think, but also I don't want to treat it as my only modplay to play.
Amnesia is hilarious and I'm going to keep poking at it, but also lol at doing anything productive in it.
Farming Valley sounded neat until I realized that wait. why am I playing stardew valley but janky, especially with many many farming clones coming out soon?

And so on and so forth until I started trying more of the kitchen sink packs and all the fabric gave me a lovely jungle biome as a start, some neat additional mods, and it feels right. Like it clicked, this is what I want to build my weird cabins with.

So officially I'm playing: All The Fabric 4 v1 with Oceano Shaders 3.0.1.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You don't need the curse launcher for curseforge packs. PolyMC (and others) work with them just fine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rynoto posted:

You don't need the curse launcher for curseforge packs. PolyMC (and others) work with them just fine.

But not MultiMC, as far as I can tell. You can’t import the zips anymore.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, it's because of the curseforge exclusive mods thing. MultiMC just fails the import, while I know PolyMC gives you a list of those mods so you can manually download and add them to the instance instead. I know gdlauncher has some kind of similar thing going on as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

taiyoko posted:

Yeah, it's because of the curseforge exclusive mods thing. MultiMC just fails the import, while I know PolyMC gives you a list of those mods so you can manually download and add them to the instance instead. I know gdlauncher has some kind of similar thing going on as well.

I don't know if that would work with GreedyCraft - does it?

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

taiyoko posted:

I know gdlauncher has some kind of similar thing going on as well.

Gdlauncher opens an embedded browser and auto-clicks the download link and downloads it. Kind of cool.

If an older version of gdlauncher is installed you have to manually uninstall that and install the new version to get this updated functionality. Not sure why it doesn’t update on its own or even indicate a new version is available. Probably some kind of modding drama as usual.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, giving PolyMC a go and oooh, even more modpacks to be indecisive about. Time to play modding minecraft instead of playing it, haha

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

StrixNebulosa posted:

SevTech: Ages is fascinating but also really, really obtuse to a kind of new player.

It's pretty obtuse in general. I started off getting some fair enjoyment out of it but not only does it incorporate SO many mods that it starts tanking performance worse than any other pack I've ever played, there are certain points in the technology chain where someone was either out of ideas, really wanted an excuse to cram another mod into the lineup, or was just plain taking the piss. Like when you need to perform a blood ritual, go to the nightmare dimension, and collect Cthulhu essence or whatever the gently caress to unlock pottery.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's pretty obtuse in general. I started off getting some fair enjoyment out of it but not only does it incorporate SO many mods that it starts tanking performance worse than any other pack I've ever played, there are certain points in the technology chain where someone was either out of ideas, really wanted an excuse to cram another mod into the lineup, or was just plain taking the piss. Like when you need to perform a blood ritual, go to the nightmare dimension, and collect Cthulhu essence or whatever the gently caress to unlock pottery.

:allears:

God I love mods. Balance is always a question for these things.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It was such a whiplash going from totem worship to cthulhu mod then right back to bronze age tech. At least astral sorcery came in later as you're getting into proper techmods.

For a while the mobs were still full strength too so they could, like, 2shot you at range and had 100? 200? health while you had flint spears.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

MultiMC isn't being developed anymore, I don't think. PolyMC is a successor fork.

Personally i like GDLauncher best because it does the thing, does it well, and doesn't look like software from two decades ago.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

MultiMC isn't being developed anymore, I don't think. PolyMC is a successor fork.

Personally i like GDLauncher best because it does the thing, does it well, and doesn't look like software from two decades ago.

The grey aesthetic is charming you GD sycophant!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

Oooh, okay. I was working off the OP and guess it's out of date!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oooh, okay. I was working off the OP and guess it's out of date!

It does still seem to be getting updates but none of them are addressing the Curseforge chicanery, they seem to have given up on that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Update: I might be having more fun with Life in the village. (I can't get 2 to work, so!) as playing All the Fabric really got me to understand that no, I do not want any tech mods. No crafting factories, none of that. Not even a little. Minecraft is not set up to explain production chains in a userfriendly way at all.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Update: I might be having more fun with Life in the village. (I can't get 2 to work, so!) as playing All the Fabric really got me to understand that no, I do not want any tech mods. No crafting factories, none of that. Not even a little. Minecraft is not set up to explain production chains in a userfriendly way at all.

Have you touched Create at all? It's honestly the best "tech" mod I've touched in years - really, it's more like an expansion of game mechanics that makes it dead easy to set up things like automatic wheat farms.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Create absolutely feels like one of the most 'Minecraft'ey tech mods that are out there. Like in an alternate world where all the Create stuff was a core minecraft mod I don't think people would blink an eye.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm not spatially minded so I have trouble organizing anything in 3D space and Create feels extremely bulky in order to do anything, even move "power" around. Admittedly, this does feel very vanilla, given how much space any redstone device needs.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not spatially minded so I have trouble organizing anything in 3D space and Create feels extremely bulky in order to do anything, even move "power" around. Admittedly, this does feel very vanilla, given how much space any redstone device needs.

Create definitely is a bulky mod, but that's part of what makes it good, I think. It provides a lot of tools that operate at the same scale as the rest of the game, for example, a windmill powering a rotary automatic wheat farm takes up space in a way you have to account for and design around.

It's the most Minecraft-y of tech mods since, oh, gently caress, RedPower2 and it functions so, so much better than that mod ever did.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm playing through project ozone 3 since I missed it back in the day; it's pretty good though it does do that thing where modpacks organize quest tabs by mod rather than by what you can do with them / suggested path and there's a lot of duplication so I've hit a LOT of deadends and made a whole bunch of worthless machines. For a bunch of people's "best pack" there sure is a lot of unguided kitchen-sink feel to it and most of the quest descriptions are "read the mod's book" or other unhelpful text.

It's also got a bunch of combat stuff which you know I'm not thrilled about but fortunately getting a regen+saturation totem and some basic armor makes you pretty invincible. I did the twilight forest because I had never "finished" it just to say I did, and I also cheesed erebus by flying above the top block and wandered around to find the boss I needed, so all in all it wasn't too bad. Erebus especially, if I had to do it legit I would have quit the pack or cheated through the quest.

Still, it's fun enough that I'm probably going to finish it (normal mode), I've got most of the agricraft seeds cooking and am pushing through blood magic. It's got a bunch of mods I've never tried before (lordcraft, abyssalcraft) but honestly I've not been impressed with them and I can see why they aren't very popular/added to other packs I've played.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 22, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
PO3's normal is definitely more kitchen-sinky, yeah. The later added (and harder) modes Kappa and Mythic have significantly more structure to them in how the mods interweave.

Lordcraft would be okay if it wasn't for the insanely stupid 'mission' system which is just pointless grind for mediocre spells. Abyssalcraft is just. Yeah. In my own mythic save by the time AC was needed I was so far past being unkillable that it was just zipping through with creative flight and being invisible while tagging mobs to feed into the Woot autofarmers which made it tolerable. Just not a well put together mod.

Embers at least is visually interesting even if it's mostly redundant in any tech pack.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 22, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'd be more interested in those modes if they weren't so obviously hideously grindy. I just wish they had heavily pruned recipes and had an overall vision rather than just a whole bunch of mods stapled together and then lazily gated behind each other. There doesn't need to be 4 different refineries from different packs and there are several pages with a dozen "craft this" quests without explanation that are almost immediately superseded as soon as you do them (or entirely skippable).

I'm glad that I looked up tips before I got started because half the things that make sense are entirely out of order of the quest pages or not even mentioned at all, like the best early-mid RF generation is through magma dynamos because heat sand is a very efficient and free way to make massive amounts of lava.

IDK, I just feel like these packs really need a balance/refinement pass rather than a "make it harder for streamers" pass. They're so close to being great.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ender conduits.

Superconducting have close to 130,000,000 rf.

This is per section correct?

This is transfer? as it it can take in and push out.

It isnt storage?

The only thing i can think why my power has tanked is my numis and turbines are trying to push 130m rf x as many conduits im using.

Parts of my base is starved of power. just the cef right next to an empty on is full...

Its driving me crazy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did get starved sections even with superconducting conduit, although I had creative energy by the time it happened. I had to split a line dedicated to infusion crafting (maybe two?). The input from a Draconic energy ball gave me a fresh path on each side of the cube so this isn't that wild.

The parts of the old base that starved had to do with local, legacy conduit. They were being put under such constant demand that their little conduits could not keep up. So those sections need upgrading.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I got around to making ore processing that doesn't suck.

Washes, macerates, sifts, and does two types of centrifuging. I bring the bounty of the solar system home. The right side makes drilling fluid out of fish oil. It seems that a walrus has made its home atop the fishery, though...

Drilling platinum- and palladium-bearing ore out of Ceres.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did get starved sections even with superconducting conduit, although I had creative energy by the time it happened. I had to split a line dedicated to infusion crafting (maybe two?). The input from a Draconic energy ball gave me a fresh path on each side of the cube so this isn't that wild.

The parts of the old base that starved had to do with local, legacy conduit. They were being put under such constant demand that their little conduits could not keep up. So those sections need upgrading.

my entire base is superconducting conduit. No storage.

Ive just thrown down an HV turbine and exporting sulfuric gas to individual CEF's where im not getting any power.

Its just a mystery.

Ive also set up a bank of 10 numis that are completely on their own, unconnected to any part of the base power grid. They power 10 sim chambers and 1 loot fab. And they are constantly at 0 stored rf too. Im going to swap the super conduit over to something else and see if that does anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

my entire base is superconducting conduit. No storage.

Ive just thrown down an HV turbine and exporting sulfuric gas to individual CEF's where im not getting any power.

Its just a mystery.

Ive also set up a bank of 10 numis that are completely on their own, unconnected to any part of the base power grid. They power 10 sim chambers and 1 loot fab. And they are constantly at 0 stored rf too. Im going to swap the super conduit over to something else and see if that does anything.
The number on energy conduits is power input is per blockspace input and power output is per output face.

Each conduit section has a small internal buffer although when you get to superconducting small is probably actually very large. IIRC all connected conduits work as a single giant buffer and then doles it out as needed to anything connected. Numis and other dynamos will only have stored RF in their gui if they are generating faster than its being pulled out of them. So if your power generation is more than your minimum demand but less than your peak you will probably see your generators empty most of the time but that on its own isn't a bad thing.

There are a few tools you can use to get a read on your power. The always handy conduit probe has the copy paste mode that gets most of the use but also has the info mode which will tell you about a conduit section. Off hand I don't remember if it shows the full network energy stats. But there is also the power monitor block and power info block, possibly mixed up their names a bit. But you stick them on a conduit and it will give you info about the whole network. One of them also has a visible graph of your power usage so you can see spikes or if generation drops out. Its logarithmic so a smallish change in actually a big change in use.

Also iirc a CEF will never send power back to the conduits. Its a strictly one way thing. There's the other one CEU? that converts FE to RF but its not really a good idea to make a loop of them unless its a complicated redstone controlled system that keeps it from trying to do both at once and why bother?

10 Numis ought to have no trouble powering 10 sims and a fab unless they aren't upgraded at all. So probably the conduits are working as a massive buffer. You could always try disconnecting the numis and seeing how long the sims run.