Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Blizz seems pretty intent on pushing content out. The wow expansion is due out by the end of the year, and there are people in the beta surprised by the timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I mean Blizz themselves said they have "an army of developers" working on Diablo 4, and their own internal release date was 2022 before the delay into 2023. The Friends and Family test has been running for like 2 or 3 months now so it doesn't really surprise me that they're moving onto another stage of beta.

Also, this is a live service game that they're going to support for many years. It would make sense if they've cut a bunch of stuff and left it for post-launch. Live service games always start out pretty barren so it's possible they're going that route.

Orc Priest fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 20, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If D3 was a buddy cop game of you and Zoltun Kulle laying waste to the plot while he poo poo talks everything the game would have been immensely better.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Dameius posted:

If D3 was a buddy cop game of you and Zoltun Kulle laying waste to the plot while he poo poo talks everything the game would have been immensely better.

I am completely okay with this

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Also in this version of the game he is also/still making GBS threads on you constantly for not being good enough.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Missionary Positron posted:

Managed to hit GR100 on my whirlwind barb :toot:. I think this might be a good time to wrap up the season, I thought about going for the pet and portrait but I can already feel the game getting a bit monotonous.

Nonetheless, it was rad to revisit D3 after so many years of PoE.

I felt that same way too. I hit GR100 too, but then looked at how much I had left to do so figured I'd push myself to get the pet.
I just have the first 3 tasks of the last bit left and they're relatively easy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is there a D4 thread or will this be it .

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Someone will probably make their own D4 thread and this will continue as its own thing, same with the other -blos.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is it time for one? I have talked about it a bit in this thread but if it's interrupting Diablo 3 chat I could try to do an OP later this week maybe. It seems like Diablo 3 chat goes fine and we can wait until there's more to talk about but...maybe that's soon?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I feel like we shouldn't really worry about consolidating D4 into its own thread until we get to something like the open beta where we are likely to get both high volume and high consistency in D4 talk. While the information is still in drip feed mode, personally, I don't mind how things are.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Yeah the open beta isn't happening until early next year so probably best to wait until then for a thread.

I hope the people who get into the endgame beta start leaking poo poo left and right (via text). Blizzard won't be able to catch you

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
First time I played past level 10 in probably 20 seasons. Messed around with a Monk until a friend slapped me around and linked me to a Mystic Ally build. Now I'm stuck at barely surviving GR100 and impatiently waiting for loot upgrade drops while wondering when I'll need to transition to a different build as the damage hits a peak.

Never got into PoE, but all of the people complaining about it made me reinstall D3.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Andrigaar posted:

Never got into PoE, but all of the people complaining about it made me reinstall D3.

I've played a lot of both, and I like both (although yes, GGG dropped the ball hard this league). However, they're so far apart that while there's plenty of overlap, there's definitely also a ton of people that will love one and despise the other.

Although PoE is free and you don't even need to think about maybe wanting to buy something until endgame, and your first time through, that's an easy 15-20 hours in.

I'm done with this D3 season, but I thought it was a great season. I even made two characters, which is a major first. By far the longest I've played D3 consecutively.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I bounced off of PoE after playing acts 1-5 when it was still 10 acts. Lost track of how many times I died, which coupled with the daunting wall of upgrade nodes led me to just uninstall and play Grim Dawn.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Andrigaar posted:

I bounced off of PoE after playing acts 1-5 when it was still 10 acts. Lost track of how many times I died, which coupled with the daunting wall of upgrade nodes led me to just uninstall and play Grim Dawn.
Acts aren't really the problem (particularly with a build guide), but then you get to maps (rifts) and it just presents you with 12 different ways of making currency that may or may not turn into items someday (I almost understood Harvest and then they took Harvest out back and shot it this league). You can resolve this problem by trading, but then you have to interact with the trade economy and, as demonstrated by vanilla D3, you do not actually want the trade economy to be your endgame.

By comparison, D3's endgame is dirt simple and each of the different forms of content has a fairly obvious purpose.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I was just throwing up a time frame of when I played last (4.5 years ago according to Steam). Wasn't my thing, moved on and didn't play D3 either.

When I got back to the beach I just had no interest in anything about that game (still don't) and recall either the PoE thread or one of the goon IRC chats saying the real meat of the game was after you hit 100. Not my thing.

My only point was "Hi, I reinstalled to check this season out."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dameius posted:

So the second half of act 2? Aside from the part where Adria was hamfisted evil, that was a high point of the story.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Incoherence posted:

By comparison, D3's endgame is dirt simple and each of the different forms of content has a fairly obvious purpose.

I played D3 around launch, and never got into the end game. I'm a pretty casual player and I just reinstall it every now and again to play the campaign and smash up some demons. I picked it up again last week and bought the crusader DLC.

I like the end game and how it works, but I don't think it's explained well. I'm going thru the seasonal objectives which is guiding me but it's difficult to figure out what's going on. For example, I can't pick up blood shards but they keep dropping all the time and I don't know why.

I would hope that in D4 they do something to explain the end game loop an a much more obvious way.

Dameius posted:

zoltan cool is the best part of the game every time i replay it.

Speaking of, this game aged really well. it looks fantastic these days with max FPS and a huge monitor. they really nailed the style of each area.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dameius posted:

This is what Immortal should have been.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Philman posted:

I like the end game and how it works, but I don't think it's explained well. I'm going thru the seasonal objectives which is guiding me but it's difficult to figure out what's going on. For example, I can't pick up blood shards but they keep dropping all the time and I don't know why.
Blood shards are used for "gambling". There's an NPC named Kadala in town that will give you a random item of any given type in exchange for shards (25 for equipment, 50 for rings, 75 for weapons, 100 for amulets), and the item can roll like it was dropped in the wild (blue, yellow, legendary, ancient, primal*). Your maximum shard cap is tied to the highest level GR you've completed solo

*only if you've completed GR70

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
so I'm trying to do the boss conquest on switch and tbh its pretty hard even if everything had gone off ideally but theres a loving bug where when going to fight belial it teleports us to leorics chamber and I'm losing my mind here

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I kinda wish the endgame had the option of one specific grift stage that's laid out exactly the same way from 1-150 with fair mobs and a decent pylon layout, and its own rankings. Just so the endgame doesn't have to specifically devolve into fishing for one perfect layout, which gets pretty unsatisfying quickly. Heck, it gets annoying when you go through like 4 straight levels of wasps, lashers and whatever and zero pylons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so I'm trying to do the boss conquest on switch and tbh its pretty hard even if everything had gone off ideally but theres a loving bug where when going to fight belial it teleports us to leorics chamber and I'm losing my mind here

Odd, never had that happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

iamsosmrt posted:

I kinda wish the endgame had the option of one specific grift stage that's laid out exactly the same way from 1-150 with fair mobs and a decent pylon layout, and its own rankings. Just so the endgame doesn't have to specifically devolve into fishing for one perfect layout, which gets pretty unsatisfying quickly. Heck, it gets annoying when you go through like 4 straight levels of wasps, lashers and whatever and zero pylons.

They have these, funnily enough. They're called Orek's Dream and you've got about a 1/20 chance of opening them on a progression GR tier.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

They have these, funnily enough. They're called Orek's Dream and you've got about a 1/20 chance of opening them on a progression GR tier.

Not quite. Oreks Dream is more like we picked the "best" mob and map tiles and only picked from those. It's still "random" just the random elements are constrained to the better picks

Philman posted:

Yeah it's not really spelled out for you and I don't see anything on Maxroll. If you do need some help about what to do for the D3 end game you can ask here for a more detailed explanation. The quick run down is running T16 rifts to get keys to run Greater Rifts for XP, loot, and level your legendary gems. Using Blood Shards to gamble for armor/amulet/rings and your Death Breaths to upgrade yellows to legendary items.

gariig fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 21, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pylon placement will also be a lot more predictable, I think you're always guaranteed a conduit.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
The odds of Orek's Dream are ~1%, and there are absolutely no changes to pylon RNG, just the smaller pools of maps and mobs (which includes big spiders, but not swarms or slashers somehow?).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They also count Burning Sands maps as a "dream" layout even though the mobs are hella spread out and the pylons can be hard to find.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Yeah, it's definitely not ideal, especially once the push goes from scraping out a sub 15 minute clear to time attacking 150s.

edit: Desolate Sands maps have worked for my groups as a follow-up to a good ~80%+ completion 1st map where we're looking for about 2 elites, the pylon at the end of the bridge, and enough trash to AD the elites down.

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 21, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Suburban Dad posted:

Odd, never had that happen.

I want to try and replicate it but tbh ive already given up on it for now. Two players and i did skeleton king first, then the rest of act 1 and then act 2 with belial last in that act. Very weird and was fine on the second attempt

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I just looked up Orek's Dream, since I seem to have missed things from seasons I wasn't playing. That certainly explains that weird blue cloud overlay I've gotten a couple times in GRs. Wondered what the hell that was.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mind over Matter posted:

I just looked up Orek's Dream, since I seem to have missed things from seasons I wasn't playing. That certainly explains that weird blue cloud overlay I've gotten a couple times in GRs. Wondered what the hell that was.

Oh, so it's not a graphics glitch. I too wondered what that was.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got it the first time this week and googled it. The overlay was distracting on switch at least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
On switch, if you have cap shards or close to the cap and the amount of shards that drops in a rift is more than you have room for you won’t pick them up, u have to leave and go spend some and come back.

It’s so sick that I can just sit in my car on my lunch break and play Diablo because the wi-fi gets all the way out here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

On switch you don't even need WiFi to play. Just need to start a game while on WiFi. Then you can sleep the console and it'll be fine to play wherever you wake it up. Good enough for mostly solo players.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bust Rodd posted:

On switch, if you have cap shards or close to the cap and the amount of shards that drops in a rift is more than you have room for you won’t pick them up, u have to leave and go spend some and come back.

This is normal on PC too.

As far as I am aware, the only time you can go over your shard cap is when a season ends and the system adds all your seasonal shards to your non-seasonal ones. You can go over the cap, but you can't earn more until you spend down.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So you need to dismiss your follower for the gr45 conquest right? I did it once, realised my follower had some set bonuses and took them off and did it again and it still didnt proc.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So you need to dismiss your follower for the gr45 conquest right? I did it once, realised my follower had some set bonuses and took them off and did it again and it still didnt proc.
No your follower can have set bonuses, but you can't be wearing any set pieces at all - it's not about having set bonuses active.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Mind over Matter posted:

This is normal on PC too.

As far as I am aware, the only time you can go over your shard cap is when a season ends and the system adds all your seasonal shards to your non-seasonal ones. You can go over the cap, but you can't earn more until you spend down.

On PC, you’ll pick up shards until your cap, and the remainder will be left on the ground. So if you have 475/500 shards and a 30 stack drops, you’ll cap and have 5 shards on the ground.

On Switch, the 30 stack will stay on the ground and the game will tell you you’re capped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Oh ok i cant read so that makes sense thank you!!