Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

It's an avenue that the game could potentially go down at some point in the future- give new weapons to existing characters and reflavour /redo their talents to for a different niche. Qiqi with a catalyst. Diluc with a polearm. Bow-Mona?

Childe with a catalyst. He still throws it at the end of his combo and you need to go pick it back up. Stay away from cliffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm just waiting for them to finally let us play as cutscene Traveler, who has the power to quickswap elements. And if that's too complicated (it probably is) maybe we'll eventually get double elements Traveler. Anemo + Geo (as seen in a cutscene!), Electro + Dendro, Hydro + Pyro and then Ice can sit in the corner and be sad.

Alternatively maybe we'll get to recruit our sibling as an Abyss element user and they'll be OP.

That would be a twisted joke if the traveler that's actually useful is the one you didn't pick/probably don't like and that's only revealed years down the line.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They realllly upped the mora/xp content this patch. I'm up 2 million mora (admittedly after BP) and only down 200 purples after 1-> 85ing three characters this patch. I wonder if this is the outcome of all those survey questions about difficulty raising characters?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

That would be a twisted joke if the traveler that's actually useful is the one you didn't pick/probably don't like and that's only revealed years down the line.
If I had my druthers, I'd have given Lumine both roles in the first place. Aoi Yuuki could still play them both. That would be fine. I've never heard her play a villain before, and if they were identical down to their voices, surely that would only add to their mystique.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I picked Aether and I mostly regret it, but Evil Lumine is very cute as a consolation prize.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also picked Aether and kinda regret it. I usually pick male when I get to pick my character's gender (with a few exceptions like AC Odyssey where Alexios just seemed like the obvious wrong choice) but I always thought Lumine looked cooler and so I wish I'd picked her, at least a little bit.

Then again after watching both versions of the Abyss twin cutscenes, I also think Lumine's VA does a better job of being the Abyss twin than Aether's, at least in English, so maybe it worked out in the end.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I picked Lumine, because I thought she was one of the prettiest characters in the game. And she still is.

No Wave posted:

They realllly upped the mora/xp content this patch. I'm up 2 million mora (admittedly after BP) and only down 200 purples after 1-> 85ing three characters this patch. I wonder if this is the outcome of all those survey questions about difficulty raising characters?

They're just giving out a ton of Mora. Each level of the tree gives 56K. Each pile of rocks gives 10-15k. The statues give mora, the first set of event gave a ton of Mora. It may be as much as Inazuma, but Inazuma's rewards were more concentrated so it was more obvious. I went from 15 million to 19.5 million and that's with taking Tighnari to level 90 9/6/9 talents.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I would've preferred if you always played as Aether/Lumine and whenever you switched characters, you just got a Kirby-style outfit and ability change.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Aether should be the Abyss/void and Lumine, the Light element, because drat it the names make sense

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My personal interpretation is that the Traveler you play as is using combat techniques inspired by the people they've met on their travels, and they're always thinking about their friends, and for the player that manifests through the wish system and playing as a bunch of different characters in the party.

We know the Traveler is canonically a lot more powerful than they are in gameplay so it makes a certain amount of sense to me to interpret the character-swapping gameplay as an abstraction of how adaptable the Traveler actually is in combat.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

also high five to the fellow picked-Aether-and-kind-of-regret-it crew :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Excelzior posted:

Aether should be the Abyss/void and Lumine, the Light element, because drat it the names make sense

However this also works in reverse because it also provides an ironic reversal of expectations

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still think its so zany they don't give an option to change. Not that I would.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I remember hearing that there are some actual differences between Aether and Lumine. Like, Aether has faster running speed, but Lumine's normal attack modifier percentages are higher.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

One of the Tales games had a silent protagonist and a NG+ reward was unlocking his voice acting. I'm crazy enough to play through the story a second time if only hear to Traveler voice acting.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Close, Aether has faster running speed for being a medium male, but Lumine has a faster normal attack speed

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lumine does have a higher mutiplier on the second hit of her charged attack. More importantly she has god tier facial expressions.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The twin and paimon are just like, in the main character's mind man *toke*

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I picked Lumine, because I thought she was one of the prettiest characters in the game. And she still is.
She might be a D tier in power, but she's an S tier in fabulous. Really undermining your own sales strategy there, Mihoyo!

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/houkai3rd/comments/xk1rot/hohe_fever_in_japan/

I dont think Mihoyo has shilled a character this hard ever, even for Genshin. You can see a huge Yae Miko poster covering a good chunk of a building in the background in the Akihabara shot as well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are videos of giant animated lcd-screen billboards for Klee... This isn't the first time they've advertised a character.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 21, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

https://youtu.be/K8oWgHkdhys

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It still bugs me that traveler doesn't have the ability to use every weapon. That would offset their talents being fairly lackluster at least. Maybe we'll get that as an upgrade after the final region (celestia) drop several years from now. One can hope at least.

FractalSandwich posted:

That would be fine. I've never heard her play a villain before,
Arguably, in the setting of Youjo Senki, Tanya is a villain in terms of being a powerful and influential character associated with the "bad guys". We just experience the story from her perspective, so we're less inclined to see her that way. The movie was great, incidentally. Looking forward to the next season.

Excelzior posted:

also high five to the fellow picked-Aether-and-kind-of-regret-it crew :smith:
My excuse here is that for whatever reason, back when I watched the intro cutscene and knew absolutely nothing about the game or genre, Aether looked more like a melee character and Lumine like a caster. Melee is almost always stronger early game, so that seemed like an obvious choice. By the time I realized otherwise, I already had multiple 5* characters and there was no way in hell I was going to reroll.

At least void princess Lumine is neat as a potential future antagonist.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 21, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
arguably???????

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I know people play Honkai in this thread and I have a question that was not easily answered by google and I ain't about to ask reddit so this place it is. I started fairly recently and have just now scrounged enough pulls to get the weapon choice supply box thing. I already have both Void and Reason and am guaranteed to get Rosemary eventually from the training plan so the question is which character needs their unique weapon the most? I remember hearing talk in this thread about Reason getting a new weapon soon or something so maybe not that one if it's literally about to get power crept?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

sushibandit posted:

It still bugs me that traveler doesn't have the ability to use every weapon. That would offset their talents being fairly lackluster at least. Maybe we'll get that as an upgrade after the final region (celestia) drop several years from now. One can hope at least.

Arguably, in the setting of Youjo Senki, Tanya is a villain in terms of being a powerful and influential character associated with the "bad guys". We just experience the story from her perspective, so we're less inclined to see her that way. The movie was great, incidentally. Looking forward to the next season.

My excuse here is that for whatever reason, back when I watched the intro cutscene and knew absolutely nothing about the game or genre, Aether looked more like a melee character and Lumine like a caster. Melee is almost always stronger early game, so that seemed like an obvious choice. By the time I realized otherwise, I already had multiple 5* characters and there was no way in hell I was going to reroll.

At least void princess Lumine is neat as a potential future antagonist.
Use every weapon = use thrilling tales of dragon slayers

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

arguably???????

The English name for the series is The Saga of Tanya the Evil. I know nothing else about it apart from memes about the expressions the MC makes but this doesn't seem to be in question.

Anyway yes I would like my Traveller to have every weapon so I can finally find a use for this 5 star polearm.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got my first 5-star weapon back when I pulled Ayato and now I wish I hadn't because now I can see how strong 5-star weapons are for myself and now I covet more

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So far my only 5* weapons are Amos bow and Skyward Spine, neither of which I have a particularly good use for so I haven't had that problem.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The wild thing is that Haran Geppaku isn't even one of the super amazing ones! Like it's great for Ayato because it was made for him but it's a lot more niche than other swords like Mistsplitter or Jade Cutter that are amazing on anyone who can use a sword.

Pretty sure the next time Jade Cutter shows up I won't be able to stop myself from pulling for it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

The wild thing is that Haran Geppaku isn't even one of the super amazing ones! Like it's great for Ayato because it was made for him but it's a lot more niche than other swords like Mistsplitter or Jade Cutter that are amazing on anyone who can use a sword.

Pretty sure the next time Jade Cutter shows up I won't be able to stop myself from pulling for it

I'm hoping they put it up against Nilou's sword but we all know it's going to be Aquila Favonia or Skyward Spine.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know people play Honkai in this thread and I have a question that was not easily answered by google and I ain't about to ask reddit so this place it is. I started fairly recently and have just now scrounged enough pulls to get the weapon choice supply box thing. I already have both Void and Reason and am guaranteed to get Rosemary eventually from the training plan so the question is which character needs their unique weapon the most? I remember hearing talk in this thread about Reason getting a new weapon soon or something so maybe not that one if it's literally about to get power crept?

Yes HoR is getting a new weapon in 6.1. everyone needs their own weapons pretty much, characters that can effectively use other weapons are pretty random but all the PRI-ARMs are ridiculously good on the character they're meant for. You can craft weapons for most of the old characters now so it isn't really that big of a deal besides for new characters since you need to pull for their weapon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yes Herrscher of Reason's weapon is about to get powercrept in patch 6.1. HoR herself is also an already-powercrept DPS with the likes of Silverwing and the new Herrscher of Human Ego being stronger ice options in most situations. However the new gacha weapon they're releasing for her is meant to bring her back to the strength level of the current meta (probably still weaker than HoHE except in stuff that specifically gets countered by mecha type though). HotV is an ancient unit who's giga ultra mega powercrept.

Rosemary's weapon is the safest option by far since she also works as a good support and not just a main DPS in lightning teams, so her weapon will be more useful for the long term even if/when you get a more meta lightning carry. But if you really like playing motorcycle girl you could always pick hers anyways. Powercreep is a lot higher than Genshin but it's still mostly just relevant to people fighting for leaderboard positions in the Abyss & Memorial Arena modes at endgame, so if you don't care too much about that stuff you use HoR as your ice dps easily enough and you won't really have any issues going through all the other content. If you're trying to pull for Elysia though then don't even think about it.

e:
Also note that there's currently the "Elf's Treasure" event going on where you get points for gacha rolls, and for 700 points you can buy a "collector's card" that lets you exchange for a gacha weapon from a moderate selection. The pool includes Rosemary's, so it's possible for you to get HoR's from the newbie event and Rosemary's from there. Or you could take Rosemary's from the newbie event and Fischl's bow from the collector card to get a pretty nice lightning team going! (Fischl is farmable from the asterite shop).

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 21, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

I'm hoping they put it up against Nilou's sword but we all know it's going to be Aquila Favonia or Skyward Spine.

Yeah I was hoping for that too (since I assume there'll be a bow on the banner with Cyno's polearm) though I figure they wouldn't run two swords on the same banner even if both featured characters use swords. I don't think they've ever had both featured weapons be the same weapon type. Maybe in 3.2...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harrow posted:

I got my first 5-star weapon back when I pulled Ayato and now I wish I hadn't because now I can see how strong 5-star weapons are for myself and now I covet more
I think Ayato's weapon is a nice one because he's not a super strong damage dealer otherwise (totally fine as a mostly-support) and it helps out his for fun builds. I'd love hunter's path for the same reason (but I don't plan on ever going more than one pity on a weapon banner unless every 4 star is excellent, I want both weapons, and my first hit is a standard 5 star).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Decided to use my ~50 standard pulls now rather than after 3.1, since I'd have a better chance of pulling Kuki. Didn't get her, but ended up with Skyward Spine. Is it even as good as The Catch? Or the other ER 4*s for that matter, lol

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Radical posted:

Yes HoR is getting a new weapon in 6.1. everyone needs their own weapons pretty much, characters that can effectively use other weapons are pretty random but all the PRI-ARMs are ridiculously good on the character they're meant for. You can craft weapons for most of the old characters now so it isn't really that big of a deal besides for new characters since you need to pull for their weapon.

I mean I know everyone needs their own weapon I just get a free box that gives me one of these three specifically which is why I was asking.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yes Herrscher of Reason's weapon is about to get powercrept in patch 6.1. HoR herself is also an already-powercrept DPS with the likes of Silverwing and the new Herrscher of Human Ego being stronger ice options in most situations. However the new gacha weapon they're releasing for her is meant to bring her back to the strength level of the current meta (probably still weaker than HoHE except in stuff that specifically gets countered by mecha type though). HotV is an ancient unit who's giga ultra mega powercrept.

Rosemary's weapon is the safest option by far since she also works as a good support and not just a main DPS in lightning teams, so her weapon will be more useful for the long term even if/when you get a more meta lightning carry. But if you really like playing motorcycle girl you could always pick hers anyways. Powercreep is a lot higher than Genshin but it's still mostly just relevant to people fighting for leaderboard positions in the Abyss & Memorial Arena modes at endgame, so if you don't care too much about that stuff you use HoR as your ice dps easily enough and you won't really have any issues going through all the other content. If you're trying to pull for Elysia though then don't even think about it.

Yeah this helps. It's a shame Void is so powercrept, I find her really satisfying to play with the *snap* when going Herrscher mode. Plus she's been carrying me in the roguelike mode. I ain't pulling for Elysia even if she is apparently mega OP, her whole ultra pink mermaid thing is not my deal.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So started the 2nd archon quest in Sumeru now and The grand sage guy being such a massive dick and just bullying the cute dancer girl to immediate establish him as the antagonist is so anime. That guy seems like the Kujou Takayuki or Lord Lawrence of the arc on steroids. I like how he even has the yes man secretary following him around that also just seems like a jerk. Theres no way that guys in charge by the end of the arc going by the track record of these leaders. Maybe it'll be Al-Haitham or Haypasia or someone like that dependingon where there story goes.

As for character choice it just seemed more canon that Lumine is the void princess and I like the idea of that more than the alternative. Plus I'd rather Yuki Aoi get the voice acting more than the other guy.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean I know everyone needs their own weapon I just get a free box that gives me one of these three specifically which is why I was asking.

Yeah this helps. It's a shame Void is so powercrept, I find her really satisfying to play with the *snap* when going Herrscher mode. Plus she's been carrying me in the roguelike mode. I ain't pulling for Elysia even if she is apparently mega OP, her whole ultra pink mermaid thing is not my deal.

The ultra pink kind of creepy JP voice acting definitely leaves and impression for me in the trailers. Not sure why she and Mobius have a mermaid theme currently though. Personally all the pink and the sort of faux cutesy monotone voice acting made me think she was supposed to be a yandere character but I guess not.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 21, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They push Aether in the marketing and he's probably going to star in the anime which sucks. But you can never convince me that they wrote Ayaka's story quest for Aether. That was 100% for Lumine. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think Ayato's weapon is a nice one because he's not a super strong damage dealer otherwise (totally fine as a mostly-support) and it helps out his for fun builds. I'd love hunter's path for the same reason (but I don't plan on ever going more than one pity on a weapon banner unless every 4 star is excellent, I want both weapons, and my first hit is a standard 5 star).

Yeah Haran Geppaku is fun on Ayato, and while I'm sure he'd be just as good (if not better thanks to better crit rate) with Jade Cutter I'll probably keep it on him even if I do get more 5* swords. If nothing else, I don't think anyone else can really get much out of it :v:

But yeah that general rule for rolling on the weapon banner is probably a good one. The only reason I rolled on the Haran Geppaku one is that I got Ayato mega-early and was like "well gently caress it, might as well use the rest of the wishes I'd saved for him," and I lucked out and got it as the first 5*