Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: wrong thread somehow

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Answers Me posted:

This made me think: let’s say Charles dies, like, tomorrow. Do you think they’d try and run back the last couple of weeks with the same level of pomp all over again? They’d have to, right?
It would be hilarious if we lose Charles and William, and 2023 sees the reign of KING BABY.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't you get a regency council if that happens?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Usually based on the order of succession, so if Harry turned it down it'd be King Baby and Regent Andrew, the one thing we didn't want to happen.

https://twitter.com/robinjamesbank3/status/1571091036025532420

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I believe what happens when the entire royal line of succession gets covid and dies is that a plucky young misfit teen from suburban america is then discovered to be a distant relative and is proclaimed the new princess. then a series of hijinks ensue and we all learn a lesson about ourselves

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Usually based on the order of succession, so if Harry turned it down it'd be King Baby and Regent Andrew, the one thing we didn't want to happen.
There are literally three kids ahead of him in the order of succession.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A regency council of other children seems counterproductive though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah "the king is only 5 so let's make his younger sibling regent" doesn't work too well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you had enough babies you could probable create a greater aggregate intelligence than most individual members of the aristocracy, probably not even that many babies tbh.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah "the king is only 5 so let's make his younger sibling regent" doesn't work too well.
He's 9 now! The Black Prince was put in charge when he was 8, no reason George couldn't rule.

OwlFancier posted:

If you had enough babies you could probable create a greater aggregate intelligence than most individual members of the aristocracy, probably not even that many babies tbh.
I feel like a 9 year old would really rise to the occasion if threatened with having their 7 year old sister or 4 your old brother be put in charge if they didn't behave in a manner befitting their station. He's probably not even scared of cling film.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Harry is 5th in line, then his two sprogs, then Andrew.
I think if George becomes King while he is a sprog, then Harry becomes the regent.

Seems a bit unfair that Anne is 16th in line! She seems to have the best head on her shoulders out of that lot.

Obviously it would be better to retire the monarchy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

josh04 posted:

A regency council of other children seems counterproductive though.
Coming this fall on Disney+

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

What in God's name did you make me listen to?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It would be hilarious if we lose Charles and William, and 2023 sees the reign of KING BABY.

We've had a ManBaby as Prime Minister for the last couple of years. I for one welcom our new infant overlord, and am totally up for having King Baby on all the stamps and opening leisure centres as long as it's not on a school day.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Those towns that elect a dog as mayor have the right idea.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Lady Demelza posted:

the only cure is to inflict it on others

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Hmmm

https://twitter.com/redeyedsprite/status/1572618735797805058?s=46&t=ncw7GHB3c0vFqsrcs9fpCA

I’ve seen a few melty people say ‘oh he’s clearly got ADHD/is neurodivergent, give the guy a break’, but as someone with ADHD I’m going to stick with ‘he’s high as a kite’ until I hear otherwise…

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lady Demelza posted:

We've had a ManBaby as Prime Minister for the last couple of years. I for one welcom our new infant overlord, and am totally up for having King Baby on all the stamps and opening leisure centres as long as it's not on a school day.

This coming Christmas No.1

I think its brilliant.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

My sister who has not talked about anything other than the queen for the past 2 weeks has been trying to say that 4 billion (?!) people watched it live

This number was bandied about in every newspaper a couple days before the funeral and it comes entirely from someone who writes small articles on what shows to watch on Netflix, on a website called watchtvabroad.com. The entire media ran with it and called the writer a “tv analyst”.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Answers Me posted:

I’ve seen a few melty people say ‘oh he’s clearly got ADHD/is neurodivergent, give the guy a break’, but as someone with ADHD I’m going to stick with ‘he’s high as a kite’ until I hear otherwise…

As someone who is both neurodivergent and someone who likes to be high as a kite, he's clearly on an upper such as cocaine, but he also looks like he's trippling balls. I'm pretty certain he's also taken a hallucinogen such as acid. To be honest, I'd be doing the same if I had to endure that ceremony, but I've never been and probably never will be chancellor... so who am I to judge....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd just take a bunch of benzos and run the whole thing on automatic with no memory until a month later when the 20 queen funkos I ordered during one of the long music bits arrive.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of wanton acts of public drug usage, I upped my ante this week, and I've been vaping while drinking coffee on the table outside my favourite coffee place. It's in a Victorian arcade, and both ends are open to the elements so there's constant airflow. The owner is completely aware of my usage, my legal status and is ok with it all, and he also likes the trolling aspect.

To date, nobody has said a thing. :420:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

To date, nobody has said a thing. :420:

so it seems like noone really cares then?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Looked up the pricing at Sapphire and that's probably out of our reach. Mum has some chronic pain conditions so I'll be keeping an eye on things, see how it develops. For now we'll stick to other completely legal sources.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Looked up the pricing at Sapphire and that's probably out of our reach. Mum has some chronic pain conditions so I'll be keeping an eye on things, see how it develops. For now we'll stick to other completely legal sources.

Sapphire is an option if you are already buying black market cannabis, but yeah, if you don't have money to begin with, it's a barrier. But it's always worth applying to their foundation for a grant. It's only just recently opened https://sapphirefoundation.co.uk/apply-for-help/, and is worth a shot.

e:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so it seems like noone really cares then?

My criminal record suggests otherwise, as do people who I know who have been recently busted. But no, the general public don't seem to give a flying gently caress.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 21, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Answers Me posted:

Hmmm

https://twitter.com/redeyedsprite/status/1572618735797805058?s=46&t=ncw7GHB3c0vFqsrcs9fpCA

Using stimulants to get through that farce is about the only time I've identifies with Kwarteng.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fuctifino posted:

Sapphire is an option if you are already buying black market cannabis, but yeah, if you don't have money to begin with, it's a barrier. But it's always worth applying to their foundation for a grant. It's only just recently opened https://sapphirefoundation.co.uk/apply-for-help/, and is worth a shot.

e:

My criminal record suggests otherwise, as do people who I know who have been recently busted. But no, the general public don't seem to give a flying gently caress.

Oh interesting thank you!

I can't fathom giving a gently caress about weed these days.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Today (Thursday) evening, first of 3 parts.

21:00
Al Jazeera Investigations : The Labour Files - The Purge
How bureaucrats in Britain’s Labour party crush democracy in its own ranks to weaken its elected leader and silence the party membership.

You can watch online live here:

https://www.aljazeera.com/live

I think they also live stream on youtube (but I'm not looking it up now because it's 330am).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw a man wearing a tam o'shanter with a ring of stars sewn round it and an EU flag face mask the other day and I thought of fuctifino.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/d_blanchflower/status/1572705816829886464?s=46&t=X9HpWrQYBa9ACb39J88J3w

This is intentional to help our exports, right? /Padme

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

HopperUK posted:

Oh interesting thank you!

I can't fathom giving a gently caress about weed these days.

If you can't smell it, I don't get why anyone would care. Some people really enjoy dictating what others can do though.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Its gotta be intentional right? They're knackering the pound as all their assets are measured in dollars?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

Its gotta be intentional right? They're knackering the pound as all their assets are measured in dollars?

We know from observing the Johnson era that if you're completely shameless and have the media establishment behind you, you can cheerfully ignore a remarkable amount of objective reality. It doesn't have to work, the important thing is that the headlines keep telling everyone that it's working.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Answers Me posted:

Hmmm

This clip is really confusing, you only get a glimpse of him at the very end.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Nah, it tanked yesterday because the Fed raised interest rates. Every currency that can't match the Fed's rises will stay in the toilet for the foreseeable. The Euro plunged yesterday too.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Mebh posted:

Basically yes

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Advice needed from the goon hivemind! If you don't want to read a long rambling story about a building project, I strongly encourage you to scroll past...

We have had some building work done (a loft conversion, which probably leads to an automatic space at The Wall). The company doing it have done a really good job, and up to the last couple of months we have had no complaints.

However, now that the work is like 95% finished, they've basically just... stopped. The room is habitable, but there's loads of holes to fill, door-handles to fit, the heating needs to be installed, ALL the building waste is still in our back garden - so none of this stuff in isolation is too bad, but it also kind of sucks to be in limbo where we can't just move on with our lives.

The delays started when the building manager, Mark, said he'd injured his back. This initially led to some understandable delays, but ever since then (6 weeks and counting), he's promised that he'd either visit next week, or send someone else. And each week, a day before he's due, he says his back's still out and he can't come, blah blah blah. I can sympathise with the debilitation of a back injury, and he seems like a nice enough guy, who I do basically trust (for now) - but on the other hand, we have a contract with his business, and he's sub-contracted the vast majority of the project already, so it's not like it's not within his capabilities to just arrange for someone else to do what's left.

Now, the way that the payment for the project was structured was that we paid a series of (large) equal instalments, with a final smaller instalment at the end once we were completely happy with the work. This final payment is the only one left, and I'm beginning to worry that the company may have just built it into their business model to essentially sack off that final payment indefinitely so they can focus on new projects and keep the money rolling in elsewhere.

So my question is : is there anything realistically I can do to influence the company to pull their finger out and just finish the work at my home? I'm assuming that there are no real regulators/enforcement who I can dangle over their heads - and other than making petty threats to moan about them on social media, I feel like there's basically nothing we can do to help our situation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

on the other hand, we have a contract with his business, and he's sub-contracted the vast majority of the project already, so it's not like it's not within his capabilities to just arrange for someone else to do what's left.

If you have a contract with him then you should have legal recourse for failure to deliver. If he can't do it himself then as you say he can subcontract.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-62980394

quote:

It's now official those from a Catholic background outnumber those from a Protestant background by 45.7% to 43.5% for the first time in Northern Ireland's 101-year history.

THEY'RE BREEDING LIKE RABBITS NORMAN!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Quick redraw the border! Protestant Ulster will never surrender, even when it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Rathlin Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

Advice needed from the goon hivemind! If you don't want to read a long rambling story about a building project, I strongly encourage you to scroll past...

We have had some building work done (a loft conversion, which probably leads to an automatic space at The Wall). The company doing it have done a really good job, and up to the last couple of months we have had no complaints.

However, now that the work is like 95% finished, they've basically just... stopped. The room is habitable, but there's loads of holes to fill, door-handles to fit, the heating needs to be installed, ALL the building waste is still in our back garden - so none of this stuff in isolation is too bad, but it also kind of sucks to be in limbo where we can't just move on with our lives.

The delays started when the building manager, Mark, said he'd injured his back. This initially led to some understandable delays, but ever since then (6 weeks and counting), he's promised that he'd either visit next week, or send someone else. And each week, a day before he's due, he says his back's still out and he can't come, blah blah blah. I can sympathise with the debilitation of a back injury, and he seems like a nice enough guy, who I do basically trust (for now) - but on the other hand, we have a contract with his business, and he's sub-contracted the vast majority of the project already, so it's not like it's not within his capabilities to just arrange for someone else to do what's left.

Now, the way that the payment for the project was structured was that we paid a series of (large) equal instalments, with a final smaller instalment at the end once we were completely happy with the work. This final payment is the only one left, and I'm beginning to worry that the company may have just built it into their business model to essentially sack off that final payment indefinitely so they can focus on new projects and keep the money rolling in elsewhere.

So my question is : is there anything realistically I can do to influence the company to pull their finger out and just finish the work at my home? I'm assuming that there are no real regulators/enforcement who I can dangle over their heads - and other than making petty threats to moan about them on social media, I feel like there's basically nothing we can do to help our situation.

Not much help but:

This has happened to my parents and also here at the flats when trades say they'll come back to finish work but never do.
I don't know what is in your contract, but social media exposure is one way of doing it. Find their FB page, go on local groups etc., google, trustpilot etc.
They may be embarrassed into resolving the issue but as you suggest not coming back to finish the work and collecting the final payment is par for the course these days I'm afraid.

We have a problem here at the flats where some of the residents think it's like the old days where you could get 3 quotes and pick the best (it's written in to the leases for jobs over about £5k). Ha. You're lucky if even 1 turns up at all and even bothers to quote. We wanted an approx £20k redecs job done - 5 companies invited to quote, 3 turned up, not a single one sent in the quote. We're just talking 3 communal corridors and two 3-story staircases.