Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Honkai is an extreme case of balancing where the game for 90% of the main story and side events don't use units. At all. You can literally never roll and get through most of the content.

You only need units for the weekly challenges that give crystals, which is only used to get units to keep up with said challenges. It's very weird, even Genshin allows you to use your own units for events most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It is pretty weird but I appreciate it as a perennial F2P player. Getting to enjoy APHO was worth the zero dollars price of admission on its own, I hope ZZZ takes some cues from that mode because it's fun as hell.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You also use your own units for the side-stories under "challenges" and the earlier chapters of the main story. And for elysian realm! The 'main' ER story missions use preset characters but you still have to do some regular runs with your own character in between those to progress.

Infinity Gaia posted:

It is pretty weird but I appreciate it as a perennial F2P player. Getting to enjoy APHO was worth the zero dollars price of admission on its own, I hope ZZZ takes some cues from that mode because it's fun as hell.

put jump and airdash buttons in ZZZ you cowards

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Counterpoint: I rerolled multiple times at the start while picking a random protagonist and the roll I went with had Aether and honestly I like him quite a bit. His outfit is a lot more interesting than just "white dress" and shows more skin wtf and his pose and (rare) voices seem to better fit the whole characterization of the traveler as "nice guy but still kind of snarky and mercenary". Not that Lumine is a bad pick but someone has to stand up for the boy here. :colbert:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

gandlethorpe posted:

Decided to use my ~50 standard pulls now rather than after 3.1, since I'd have a better chance of pulling Kuki. Didn't get her, but ended up with Skyward Spine. Is it even as good as The Catch? Or the other ER 4*s for that matter, lol
Use it on Shenhe! Is it actually better than strayer favonious? Ummm idk. But it feels right!

Harrow posted:

Yeah Haran Geppaku is fun on Ayato, and while I'm sure he'd be just as good (if not better thanks to better crit rate) with Jade Cutter I'll probably keep it on him even if I do get more 5* swords. If nothing else, I don't think anyone else can really get much out of it :v:

But yeah that general rule for rolling on the weapon banner is probably a good one. The only reason I rolled on the Haran Geppaku one is that I got Ayato mega-early and was like "well gently caress it, might as well use the rest of the wishes I'd saved for him," and I lucked out and got it as the first 5*
To clarify, I'll consider going for one pity whenever I like both 5 stars. Most of the time you see ppl sad about WB is when they go three full pities on one banner.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

To clarify, I'll consider going for one pity whenever I like both 5 stars. Most of the time you see ppl sad about WB is when they go three full pities on one banner.

Oh yeah that's what I mean. That seems like the only way to roll on the weapon banner while staying sane. Trying to go for a specific weapon, especially when the other one is bad, seems like the road to madness. Or spending too much money. Or both.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

gandlethorpe posted:

Decided to use my ~50 standard pulls now rather than after 3.1, since I'd have a better chance of pulling Kuki. Didn't get her, but ended up with Skyward Spine. Is it even as good as The Catch? Or the other ER 4*s for that matter, lol

It's basically just a second copy of the catch, yeah. For people that want to run 2 spear burst dps units and don't have engulfing lightning. Or like, if you want to use 2 spear supports but you refined all your fav lances together.

I'd put mine on Rosa/Shenhe if I had one, just to not have to deal with juggling my 1 fav lance between them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

gandlethorpe posted:

It's ~3% better than catch on Raiden but worse on anyone else iirc.

It's kinda hilarious that they had a launch 5* spear with a passive focused on normal attacks and still haven't released a single normal-attack-based spear unit. (Hu Tao is borderline but still mostly uses CAs)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah Skyward Spine is mostly comparable to The Catch, with a nice small little bonus to crit on top. I have mine on Raiden because I still haven't been assed to actually go fish grind for The Catch. Skyward actually has some unique application for Raiden specifically because the Attack Speed boost it provides actually lets her get some more attacks in during her burst rotation.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Upcoming Cyno seems pretty reliant on normal attacks and wants enough ER to essentially be in burst 100% of the time so Skyward Spine might be an option there. But from what I've read, he generates a lot of particles regardless so maybe the ER substat isn't super necessary.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

No Wave posted:

Use it on Shenhe! Is it actually better than strayer favonious? Ummm idk. But it feels right!

Oh yeah, forgot about Shenhe. Looks like it'll be about +4% ATK from my current setup plus the ER. But Royal Spear looks soooo good on her.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hyper Inferno posted:

Upcoming Cyno seems pretty reliant on normal attacks and wants enough ER to essentially be in burst 100% of the time so Skyward Spine might be an option there. But from what I've read, he generates a lot of particles regardless so maybe the ER substat isn't super necessary.
His particle gen is weird... without Thundering Fury it's on average 6 particles every 12 seconds during burst skilling on cooldown (less than that balanced character yelan!). He has a weird feature where skilling outside of burst generates 3 particles instead of 1.33 and his burst immediately lowers the CD of his skill if it's on cooldown so you'll want to skill -> burst with him (as if kitain cross spear wasnt bad enough on him already).

With TF he can generate ~12 particles over his burst duration so he'll be ok especially with 3 extra particles from his pre-burst skill. With fischl or dori he's almost certainly completely set with 0 extra ER.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know people play Honkai in this thread and I have a question that was not easily answered by google and I ain't about to ask reddit so this place it is. I started fairly recently and have just now scrounged enough pulls to get the weapon choice supply box thing. I already have both Void and Reason and am guaranteed to get Rosemary eventually from the training plan so the question is which character needs their unique weapon the most? I remember hearing talk in this thread about Reason getting a new weapon soon or something so maybe not that one if it's literally about to get power crept?

In addition to what's already been said, I would just like to add that Fallen Rosemary's weapon is super convenient, and basically opens up her burst entirely.

In addition to knocking enemies airborne and a few buffs for her, (I think,) it also instantly activates all of her team buffs, puts her straight into her special mode, and fills her meter for her big aoe that gathers and does a lot of damage. Her ult eats her team buffs for a damage boost, which would be fine for how easy they are to get once she's in her special mode, except there is a cool down to applying them.

Her weapon does not count for this cooldown.

It's a very good weapon, honestly probably the biggest buff from a weapon I've seen.

Also Fallen Rosemary is Irene Adler in a setting where Sherlock Holmes is a fictionalized combination of Arthur Conan Doyle and Fu Hua, who I was going to describe because she's ridiculous but spoilers. Rita is usually a pretty nothing character to me, but I gotta say, that's pretty loving cool to me for some reason.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Honkai hasnt released a memorable design since herrscher of sentience, all the real talent went to Tears of Themis.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Tears of Themis gets new character designs? I thought it was just a small constrained harem of detective boyfriends and you rolled for different cards / alter versions of them.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Mei looks busted as gently caress in her APHO form is my takeaway from what I've seen of that.

Captain France posted:

In addition to what's already been said, I would just like to add that Fallen Rosemary's weapon is super convenient, and basically opens up her burst entirely.

In addition to knocking enemies airborne and a few buffs for her, (I think,) it also instantly activates all of her team buffs, puts her straight into her special mode, and fills her meter for her big aoe that gathers and does a lot of damage. Her ult eats her team buffs for a damage boost, which would be fine for how easy they are to get once she's in her special mode, except there is a cool down to applying them.

Her weapon does not count for this cooldown.

It's a very good weapon, honestly probably the biggest buff from a weapon I've seen.

Also Fallen Rosemary is Irene Adler in a setting where Sherlock Holmes is a fictionalized combination of Arthur Conan Doyle and Fu Hua, who I was going to describe because she's ridiculous but spoilers. Rita is usually a pretty nothing character to me, but I gotta say, that's pretty loving cool to me for some reason.

She also shares VAs but not character type with Lumine. Its one of those you'd probably never know it unless you looked it up things

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FractalSandwich posted:

I've had Yun Jin for like a month and I'm still not 100% sure what her deal is. You just stack DEF and use her burst to buff the crap out of someone who likes hitting things with normal attacks, right? I was interested in the idea of using her skill as a parry, but I get the sense that's not really what she's about.

I've had very good performance with her with Yoimiya and Ayato, but the problem is that Yoimiya also wants Zhongli (to prevent interruption as a bow user) + Yelan (or Xingqiu) + a healer, leaving no room for Yun Jin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

He won't have ER issue if there's another electro in the team due to resonance. One of his best weapons is like a white tassel, next to deathmatch and kittan spear.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ytlaya posted:

I've had very good performance with her with Yoimiya and Ayato, but the problem is that Yoimiya also wants Zhongli (to prevent interruption as a bow user) + Yelan (or Xingqiu) + a healer, leaving no room for Yun Jin.

If you have Zhongli theres no need for a healer. Yoimiya, Yelan, Yunjin, Zhongli is legit. I just prefer Kazuha instead of her because he gives you some aoe, but that setup will annihilate any single target with ease.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is Thoma a viable replacement for Dionna in my current Hu Tao/Xingqiu/Sucrose/Dionna team? This is the first real organized team I’ve slowly cobbled together, and Dionna seems to work very well just a general support. Thoma seems worse 1-to-1, but then I’d get pyro resonance and (I’d assume?) be able to swirl pyro with Sucrose. The main downside seems to be losing an actual healer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Anno posted:

Is Thoma a viable replacement for Dionna in my current Hu Tao/Xingqiu/Sucrose/Dionna team? This is the first real organized team I’ve slowly cobbled together, and Dionna seems to work very well just a general support. Thoma seems worse 1-to-1, but then I’d get pyro resonance and (I’d assume?) be able to swirl pyro with Sucrose.

Is your Thoma c4? Otherwise he's going to be incredibly hard to use because his burst costs so much energy and he needs it up to shield. Also he will steal vapes from Hu Tao if you care about that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Eimi posted:

Is your Thoma c4? Otherwise he's going to be incredibly hard to use because his burst costs so much energy and he needs it up to shield. Also he will steal vapes from Hu Tao if you care about that.

I think he’s C2, but I wouldn’t mind pulling for him some more whenever he comes around next.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Anno posted:

I think he’s C2, but I wouldn’t mind pulling for him some more whenever he comes around next.

He'll never be good, note, but his c4 makes him usable. I tried to make him work for Yoimiya before I got Zhongli and even Noelle was better at that than he was. (mine's c2 as well)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ThomAyato with a qualified dendro applicator will be very cool. just seven more weeks, maybe enough time for a single gilded EM sands to drop...

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Pyro resonance barely matters for Hu Tao because her base attack is so low and that's what the ATK% scales off of. However, having another pyro character lets you more easily swirl pyro with a VV holder (in your case Sucrose) for when Hu Tao gets on field herself.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hyper Inferno posted:

Pyro resonance barely matters for Hu Tao because her base attack is so low and that's what the ATK% scales off of. However, having another pyro character lets you more easily swirl pyro with a VV holder (in your case Sucrose) for when Hu Tao gets on field herself.

Yeah the latter I assumed was a bigger deal than the former. And even if pyro resonance isn’t a huge deal I assume it’s marginally better than rainbow resonance.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hyper Inferno posted:

character base attack barely matters, it almost all comes from the weapon
people way over-focus on the differences in base character stats like these

the real reason atk% isn't that great on her is just because she gets shitloads of flat atk from her skill's hp-to-atk conversion, so the relative increase from each extra point of atk is small since she already has so much
same applies to itto and noelle and to a lesser degree anyone standing inside bennett's burst.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 21, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Thoma was so bad that people found out a Yanfei build with prototype amber as a better pyro support for hu tao teams

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

character base attack barely matters, it almost all comes from the weapon
people way over-focus on the differences in base character stats like these

the real reason atk% isn't that great on her is just because she gets shitloads of flat atk from her skill's hp-to-atk conversion, so the relative increase from each extra point of atk is small since she already has so much
same applies to itto and noelle and to a lesser degree anyone standing inside bennett's burst.

I'd say for most cases this is true but Hu Tao has an especially low base ATK compared to other 5 star characters.

She has base 106 atk at 90 while for example Diluc and Ayaka have 334 and 342 respectively. For more comparison, Barbara has 159.

Dragon's Bane, Prototype Archaic, and Amenoma Kageuchi have 454, 565 and 454 attack.

So while Diluc and Ayaka are sitting somewhere around 37% - 43% of their base attack when compared to a 4 star weapon, Hu Tao is at around 19%. The weapon matters more with 5 star stuff with the higher attack but Hu Tao is an especially weird case stat wise. Following the math through is also why HP% is a better substat than Atk% for Hu Tao point for point since HP% converts to more ATK than ATK% would for her.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hu Tao's HP scaling is higher than standard atk scaling. She could have a base atk of 350 and hp would still be a better stat outside of maybe pjws?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 21, 2022

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tae posted:

Thoma was so bad that people found out a Yanfei build with prototype amber as a better pyro support for hu tao teams
C4 specifically where she gets a shield on burst too. At that point her burst alone is better than Thoma's whole kit :lol:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Before I pulled Tighnari and never looked back I actually used him as a pyro enabler with Yae as the on-field DPS, because his ult isn't an infusion but a separate instance of attacking if you combo'd that with XQ/Yelan you'd have three different elements firing off with each of her normal attacks (which in turn would also trigger with the existing electro from her turrets), it was surprisingly pretty solid even without him being at C4 :eng101:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah that's what I mean. That seems like the only way to roll on the weapon banner while staying sane. Trying to go for a specific weapon, especially when the other one is bad, seems like the road to madness. Or spending too much money. Or both.

The real secret is that all the 5* star weapons are good except for the geo-themed ones like the Unforged or Memory of Dust.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Moonglow is NOT good

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No Wave posted:

Moonglow is NOT good

But Kokomi does get to eat her donut.

(It is barely better than Prototype Amber for her personal dps though)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

No Wave posted:

Moonglow is NOT good

now that you've said that it's going to be the second BiS for Dendro Archon :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was going to ask "is Moonglow so bad that you'd use a 4* over it" and then I remembered that the Widsith exists so the answer is probably "yes obviously"

Catalysts in general are in a weird spot I guess. I feel like there's no 5* catalyst I've seen people really praise, while there's at least a couple 5*s for every other weapon type that are just great for almost every character who can use that weapon, even if it's just because they have really high stats.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
drat, found an entire underground area that I missed with a whole dream boss fight thing and an achievement and everything, and yet it had nothing to do with any aranyaka chapter whatsoever :(

For the sake of my sanity I am allowing myself a single hint. Does any aranyaka chapter require something to be done at a specific time of day?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harrow posted:

I was going to ask "is Moonglow so bad that you'd use a 4* over it" and then I remembered that the Widsith exists so the answer is probably "yes obviously"

Catalysts in general are in a weird spot I guess. I feel like there's no 5* catalyst I've seen people really praise, while there's at least a couple 5*s for every other weapon type that are just great for almost every character who can use that weapon, even if it's just because they have really high stats.
Correct. They never went back and gave Klee a real 5* weapon the way they did for Childe. Claymore is kind of in a similar spot but serpent spine is honorary 5 star so it's fine. Truthfully homa isn't as universally good as it's made out to be either, it just was really above the curve in 1.3 as a crit substat 5 star with a passive that did anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Harrow posted:

Skyward Atlas and Lost Prayer are both great but yeah there's nothing insane like the purple Inazuma set for catalysts.