Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Harley Davidson defines itself as a lifestyle brand anyway - the bikes are only part of it. The European MD once said “Harley-Davidson sells to 43-year-old accountants the ability to dress in leather, ride through small towns and have people be afraid of them.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I feel the same way about motorcycles but I also add Jeeps to that feeling of “people who drive something that is more their identity than a transportation device”.

Just the absolute largest dickheads driving Jeeps to make sure everyone sees their driving a jeep. But like someone else said, I probably do not notice the ones that do not see it as their identity because they actually use it for it’s intended purpose.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I feel the same way about motorcycles but I also add Jeeps to that feeling of “people who drive something that is more their identity than a transportation device”.

Just the absolute largest dickheads driving Jeeps to make sure everyone sees their driving a jeep. But like someone else said, I probably do not notice the ones that do not see it as their identity because they actually use it for it’s intended purpose.

I'm a Jeep Guy ™ and it's been infuriating watching them go from reliable vehicles with crazy off road power to luxury machines over the last 20 years. High end audio systems, power everything and automatic transmission do not belong on jeeps. Plus their cost has gotten ridiculous.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Medullah posted:

I'm a Jeep Guy ™ and it's been infuriating watching them go from reliable vehicles with crazy off road power to luxury machines over the last 20 years. High end audio systems, power everything and automatic transmission do not belong on jeeps. Plus their cost has gotten ridiculous.
Have you considered buying a 4x4 that isn't lovely?

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Is this where we are holding the vilerat memorial? Ten fuckin years, jesus christ

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

say no to scurvy posted:

Is this where we are holding the vilerat memorial? Ten fuckin years, jesus christ

A shame to lose a mod who had so many insights into geopolitics and different cultures:

quote:

Africa would have been subjected to a bloodbath of proportions unseen in history if the white man hadn't destroyed their culture first.

Examples I point to are as follows -

The Zulu nation was happily destroying not only all of it's neighbors, but many of their own people as the leadership happened to be certifiably insane. Shaka for example had a small penis (actually historically accurate) and killed thousands of people because of it. The zulu empire was actually not the bad one as the Matabele under Mzilikali after his loss to the zulu, took his tribe and conducted a scorched earth campaign across the lower section of africa destroying all in his path.

Lets not forget the laughable Xhosa girl Nongqawuse who said she saw visions that if everybody killed off their cattle and burned their fields the dead spirits of their ancestors would grant not only tenfold cattle in return, but destruction of the new white Anglo/Boer civilization in the southern cape. Needless to say after they slaughtered and burned everything no ancestors were forthcoming and 25 thousand of the Xhosa tribe died.
The tribes of africa were largely barbaric and vicious groups of people who really only understood killing for the most part. There were exceptions to the rule as there always are, the hottentots, and various smaller tribes, but for the most part african culture was set up to destroy other cultures to begin with.

I'm not going to say that they are better off having been colonized by the europeans, but the alternative was pretty vicious as well.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I lol at laughable Xhosa girl every time

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Oh man those are some memories

I really miss LF

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cat botherer posted:

A shame to lose a mod who had so many insights into geopolitics and different cultures:

And then he was killed by Africans. Ironic justice I guess.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Same reasons I see so many Teslas with vanity plates. Toys for hollow wealthy people to cling to some sense of identity.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PerniciousKnid posted:

He's still a DND mod not as a privilege, but as a punishment. He must do penance for his racist opinions.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Beetus posted:

He's still a DND mod not as a privilege, but as a punishment. He must do penance for his racist opinions.

Joke's on him, mods never learn.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

cat botherer posted:

I don't have anything against motorcycles either, except for Harleys. They are overpriced, have atrocious reliability, and are slow. It doesn't help that they are universally ridden by pink-faced boomers who think that modifying them to make hearing-damage levels of sound makes them look badass.

Otherwise, motorcycles are fine. Most crotch rockets are pretty quiet, reliable, and get way better mileage than a car. Shame how dangerous it is with stupid drivers though.

HD riders are also the biggest crybabies. I had a Yamaha Zuma and my HD riding coworkers would all laugh until I pointed out they were scared to ride in even light rain. Then I got a motorcycle and they were legit angry I bought a Honda for half the price of and equivalent Harley.

The only Harley I'd ever consider buying is a Fatboy because T2 was a formative film for me...but not enough for me to be associated with Harley people.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Somewhere recently I saw a meme like "the last mod to ban me died in benghazi" can't find it now though.

My favorite vilerat post though was:

Vilerat posted:

I have information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

itskage posted:

Somewhere recently I saw a meme like "the last mod to ban me died in benghazi" can't find it now though.

My favorite vilerat post though was:

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1568969125178785794?t=59ceSEY6OjIxi8BCwrBsqw&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
According to this guy, student loans are a better deal than a mortgage, so there's nothing to complain about!

https://twitter.com/PolicemanMeme/status/1569768113561899011?t=AxjzLPNIlXRnqva_XhPpkw&s=19

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That isn't even a meme, Meme Policeman overstepping his authority.

TCE
Feb 26, 2016
My cousin is married to a guy who probably belonged in this thread since its inception. Runs a business (he inherited from his parents), lives in a big house (his parents paid the downpayment on), was always argumentative, always kind of racist (could usually keep it under control, except for when talking about Muslims / Arabs, which he was always truly hateful regarding.) After Trump got elected my cousin - who knew the rest of our family felt - got subdued him in public, got him not to talk about politics at family events, etc. But that doesn't mean any of these traits went away. And during the pandemic I guess they exacerbated. Recently he started stocking up on guns - with two kids under four in their house - she begged him not to, asked him to sell them. He said no, she asked why. "Because" he screamed, "we need them in case the n*****s" come!"

Thankfully this has been the wake up call she needs. She moved the kids out of the house and filed for divorce. But I won't lie, the whole thing's been pretty rattling.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TCE posted:

My cousin is married to a guy who probably belonged in this thread since its inception. Runs a business (he inherited from his parents), lives in a big house (his parents paid the downpayment on), was always argumentative, always kind of racist (could usually keep it under control, except for when talking about Muslims / Arabs, which he was always truly hateful regarding.) After Trump got elected my cousin - who knew the rest of our family felt - got subdued him in public, got him not to talk about politics at family events, etc. But that doesn't mean any of these traits went away. And during the pandemic I guess they exacerbated. Recently he started stocking up on guns - with two kids under four in their house - she begged him not to, asked him to sell them. He said no, she asked why. "Because" he screamed, "we need them in case the n*****s" come!"

Thankfully this has been the wake up call she needs. She moved the kids out of the house and filed for divorce. But I won't lie, the whole thing's been pretty rattling.

Especially concerning, considering what just happened in Michigan.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Florida Trumpist relative working real hard to insist the libs are thoroughly owned and turning on immigrants.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Killer robot posted:

Florida Trumpist relative working real hard to insist the libs are thoroughly owned and turning on immigrants.

Oh there's a ton of these the past couple days.

https://twitter.com/beinlibertarian/status/1571236358869360644?t=mKJQk5mgFELu1lk3fkZasg&s=19

https://twitter.com/AbeLopezAuthor/status/1571897895888224256?t=yfO3CTEvdY1Y0YqK1ClfDA&s=19

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

You ever click through your bookmarks and think you're in the pyf meme thread and be like "wtf are these idiot goons posting?!?" Before realizing it's this thread?

Hah.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Those people really want to believe:

1)Refugees are as violent as they tell themselves they are.
2)Everyone is as cruel as they them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Right wingers are spinning the Martha's Vineyard situation as a win despite the circumstances decidedly not making it a win. They're just pointing to the fact that Martha's Vineyard is relocating the immigrants to Cape Cod, saying "See? Martha's Vineyard kicked them out too, proving they're hypocrites!" Which ignores a lot of context, because they hate context but notably: Martha's Vineyard is a small town that doesn't have the resources to handle a large influx of people, a problem a large state like Texas doesn't have (or rather, shouldn't have if they weren't evil assholes), as well as MV sending them to CC to receive actual meaningful assistance, as opposed to Texas and Florida apparently having lied to immigrants about assistance to trick them into going to MV where the assistance wasn't actually available.

But again, all they care about is "MV sending immigrants somewhere else so they can't criticize us!" Who knows how the average person sees it.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
The Massachusetts government moved some refugees off of a small island, where they had been traffic'd against their will, to the nearby mainland. Is it incorrect of them to do that? For all the crowing conservatives are doing about it, you would have thought they'd murdered the refugees.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Like I said, they just think they've exposed liberal hypocrisy, because they're completely ignoring the context of the actions MV took.

It doesn't matter what MV actually did, it wouldn't have mattered if they did something different. When Hannity was talking about how funny he thought it was that MV did the same thing Florida and Texas did, he said he had an author friend who lived in MV who said something like "The Obamas have a bunch of land holdings here in the town, why didn't they open up their property to a tent city for the immigrants to live in?" If Obama had actually done that, the goalposts would have moved to "Martha's Vineyard is forcing immigrants to live in a tent city instead of giving them homes, what hypocrites!" It wouldn't have even mattered if the residents had given immigrants their homes to live in, then the right would just laugh and say "Those idiots, they're so stupid!" or hell, probably just lie and say something like "The government forced people out of their homes to house immigrants, it will happen to you too if you don't vote Republican!"

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Forceholy posted:

Those people really want to believe:

1)Refugees are as violent as they tell themselves they are.
2)Everyone is as cruel as they them.

They were really hoping that point 1 would happen, thus proving point 2, and leading to point 3, that the left are hypocrites for pretending they're not cruel and hateful.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nebrilos posted:

The Massachusetts government moved some refugees off of a small island, where they had been traffic'd against their will, to the nearby mainland. Is it incorrect of them to do that? For all the crowing conservatives are doing about it, you would have thought they'd murdered the refugees.

Also the residents of MV provided them with legal assistance, food, and a place to sleep until they could figure it out but the conservative narrative was written and can't be deviated, they were SO MAD SEE.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Devorum posted:

The only Harley I'd ever consider buying is a Fatboy because T2 was a formative film for me...but not enough for me to be associated with Harley people.

What would you say the film “Terminator 2” formed about you?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Subjunctive posted:

The main lesson anyone should take from Terminator 2 is that you should always lie to cops if they ask you questions because they might be Terminators in disguise.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Martha's Vineyard stuff proves not only how pointless culture war bullshit is but that facts don't matter (if they ever did). No matter what, one side will declare victory and nothing in the world will convince them otherwise. The only winning move is not to play.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean, they also clearly didn't consider the fact that MV is a summer vacation spot for the rich; the people there now are just like... regular people. You didn't dump them on Obama's front lawn in front of him; you dumped them on some guy who runs the Clam Shack from Memorial Day to Labor Day and a snow plow business from December to February.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

V-Men posted:

The main lesson anyone should take from Terminator 2 is that you should always lie to cops if they ask you questions because they might be Terminators in disguise.

Turns out cops are terminators and the t-1000 wasn't actually wearing a disguise

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/02/29/809740346/the-cruel-story-behind-the-reverse-freedom-rides

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Martha's Vineyard stuff proves not only how pointless culture war bullshit is but that facts don't matter (if they ever did). No matter what, one side will declare victory and nothing in the world will convince them otherwise. The only winning move is not to play.

not playing is easy when its horse poo poo like black little mermaid, but this stunt by FL and TX has people used a props.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

1) Cops are poo poo (already knew this as a descendant of bootleggers, but nice to have it reinforced).

2) It was the first movie I watched where everything kind of clicked and I understood that it was good and why it was good.

3) Blowing the locks off of fence gates while riding a motorcycle is badass.

I saw Raising Arizona for the first time later in '91 and those two films are pretty much why I got a love for movies beyond just watching for popcorn.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Devorum posted:

I saw Raising Arizona for the first time later in '91 and those two films are pretty much why I got a love for movies beyond just watching for popcorn.

It's because both movies have motorcycle-shotgun scenes, right? That's what makes a movie good. Motorcycles and shotguns in conjunction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Always love this one. Who's the pussies raising kids these days?