Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvpDnGLU6E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really understand why you post every Skill Up video with no additional commentary in here. Not trying to be rude, it's just a little weird to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They’re very bad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Wolfsheim posted:

outer world isn't bad

in the context of feeling like a direct spiritual sequel to fallout 1 as if gameplay hadn't advanced at all between 1998 and now, but it's not bad

unless you're looking for solid FPS combat in which case it's extremely bad

This is a good way to describe it. I didn't dislike it but it also felt dated in a way that Obsidian games usually don't. They usually take a classic genre and add a bunch of QOL and rich story stuff. It doesn't help that it came out at the exact same time as Disco Elysium and had, on the surface, a lot of the same themes but ultimately much less depth. Also also, I've been doing a tour of some Obsidian games I really like (or liked when they were in their prime) and something that bothers me about all of them is this same sort of issue where very few of the characters seem to have any joy. There are certainly exceptions, even in Outer Worlds, but generally speaking Obsidian seems to always do worlds that are in a crisis but your introduction to that crisis is utter depression and malaise. Outer Worlds is particularly interesting in this case because (big spoiler) the main crisis is that the terraforming and colonization effort is failing because people aren't getting the nutrition they need out of food due to the terraforming just not working properly and food lacking enough calories, nutrients, and vitamins. Capitalism ends up being a bit of a red herring. The first colony you go to where the corporation is exploiting people and leaving people to waste away and die isn't because they want to hurt people but because that colony's leadership doesn't even know why people seem to be eating food but still going hungry and are sort of freaking out. Then, it turns out the colony leadership has other lovely political reasons not to bring more scientists out of cryo to try to research and deal with the problem or look for a new place to terraform. It feels like an allegory for global warming and other big problems that tend to paralyze decision-making but feels sort of sloppily done and because of the depression and malaise everywhere, it's not like you feel excited to figure out what's going on. It's certainly not a world as interesting or whimsical as New Vegas to actually explore. Also the combat is just so perfunctory and somehow feels like a step down from Gamebryo sometimes. Anyway that's a lot of words but man, they need to make their games less bummers.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 21, 2022

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kilometers Davis posted:

Killzone was awesome.

Killzone 2’s opening is still so good.

https://youtu.be/LRNwgE4iPJg

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

RichterIX posted:

I miss the mode from Killzone 2 where it would switch every minute or so between different objective modes and TDM.

i cant remember the name of this mode but YES this was cool. one minute you were playing CTF and then it suddenly (at the end of a countdown) became Zones or something else. really kept it fresh and exciting. god drat i loved that game.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CottonWolf posted:

Scolar Visari portrayed masterfully by Brian Cox posted:

My people... Sons and daughters of Helghan. This much I vow.
The history of these days will be written in blood. By crushing the armies of our enemy, by seizing the weapons they thought to turn against us, we were fighting for our very existence.
But if there are those who would deny us peace; refuse us our rightful place in the universe, then we will unleash such terrible vengeance that generations yet unborn will cry out in anguish!

The enemy may shatter our bodies, but they cannot break our spirit.
Even now they advance on our home world, to seize by force what they cannot claim by right. They cannot imagine what awaits them.

WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES!

Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter; never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy; fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities... they will know, Helghan belongs to the Helghast.

i almost forgot how loving amazing Brian Cox is in this and how cool that opening cinematic is

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Volte posted:

I spent like three days doing nothing but playing Deathloop and avoiding reading anything about it, and when I finished it I was extremely surprised that everyone seemed to hate it. I thought it was a great followup to Dishonored, but I guess some people thought it was going to be an open-ended puzzle game because of the original marketing.

Yeah that's their own fault. It looked like an Outer Wilds with violence where there's a proper order and sequence to killing everyone and avoiding Julianna.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is Hardspace Shipbreaker actually out? It doesn’t show up at all on store search

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s on the front page for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

Is Hardspace Shipbreaker actually out? It doesn’t show up on store search

It was up on the store for me yesterday.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Arist posted:

I don't really understand why you post every Skill Up video with no additional commentary in here. Not trying to be rude, it's just a little weird to me.

Oh is that what that was? I just thought BP wanted us to shave our balls because I clicked out of the video a few seconds in.

haveblue posted:

Is Hardspace Shipbreaker actually out? It doesn’t show up at all on store search

I've been noticing that the store has been a bit lovely about lower profile games. While it sounds like that may not be the case with this one, I can't even find anything for Prodeus when searching for it on PS5. I can in the mobile app, but the only option is to wishlist it, doesn't even show me the price.

I think something similar happened for Stray of all things unless you had a higher tier of PS+. Seems pretty hosed in general.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I had to drill down into the master PS5 games list to find it. Gonna hardbreak some spaceships

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Arist posted:

It’s weird to share a video about games in a gaming thread? BP obviously likes the content and wants to share. What’s the harm?

CottonWolf posted:

They’re great games!!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s weird to share a video about games in a gaming thread? BP obviously likes the content and wants to share. What’s the harm?

If he thinks they're cool, he should maybe post about that instead of just spamming the links and saying nothing about the videos themselves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
skill up's reviews are decent but his digests are useless, we get more current and detailed information from this thread alone

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Since you guys mentioned it, I had to open up Hades just to see if I'd somehow put God Mode on without realising. I'm awful at games but I've now managed seven or eight clears in Hades in 70-odd runs so I had good reason to wonder, but turns out no, I am playing the full-damage version of the game.

I've gone from dying early over and over to bouncing off the final boss over and over again to actually winning more often than not for my last five or ten runs, even adding difficulty modifiers (some of which hurt more than others). I'm actually doing some runs with a weapon I don't really like just to try all its upgrades, and still winning even when I think I don't have enough damage for it.

I guess either the various Keepsakes and Mirror upgrades are really powerful, or at some point I actually started learning the game. I'm going to put it down mostly to being really stubborn and wanting to get further into the game because of how much I'm enjoying it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

Since you guys mentioned it, I had to open up Hades just to see if I'd somehow put God Mode on without realising. I'm awful at games but I've now managed seven or eight clears in Hades in 70-odd runs so I had good reason to wonder, but turns out no, I am playing the full-damage version of the game.

I've gone from dying early over and over to bouncing off the final boss over and over again to actually winning more often than not for my last five or ten runs, even adding difficulty modifiers (some of which hurt more than others). I'm actually doing some runs with a weapon I don't really like just to try all its upgrades, and still winning even when I think I don't have enough damage for it.

I guess either the various Keepsakes and Mirror upgrades are really powerful, or at some point I actually started learning the game. I'm going to put it down mostly to being really stubborn and wanting to get further into the game because of how much I'm enjoying it.

it's both, but mostly the mirror. hades really needs you to gain some initial momentum before you start clearing runs

once you clear that initial hurdle then you quickly get into the loop of effortlessly blasting through runs, turning up Heat until you're challenged again, and empowering yourself until you need to turn up the Heat some more

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Arist posted:

If he thinks they're cool, he should maybe post about that instead of just spamming the links and saying nothing about the videos themselves.

Why not post how you want to post and let other people post how they want to post?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Why not post?

Why not? Post!

Why? Not post.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I enjoy playing video games on my Playstation 5

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

I enjoy playing video games on my Playstation 5

It has no games tho

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Anyone know where the cheapest Digi DL for Madden 22 for Ps5 is?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I think I'm the only one who finds the "no games" joke beyond tired

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

liquidypoo posted:

joke?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

liquidypoo posted:

I do as well but also I respect the dedication some have to beating this dust on the ground that used to be a horse's corpse.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

Because I feel like it. :)

Arist posted:

The description is in the video title? If you're aren't interested just don't press play?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What's the vibe on VR? It looks cool. I like Vr games. I'll probably get it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

liquidypoo posted:

It sucks

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

StormDrain posted:

What's the vibe on VR? It looks cool. I like Vr games. I'll probably get it.

I’m real hype for it. As far as hardware goes it sounds like they’re knocking it out of the park, and if Sony’s approach to software cert holds over from the PSVR1 there’ll be a really consistent performance floor across all the games for it.

I think the unique features the HW has are:
• Rumble in the headset
• Force feedback triggers like the DualSense
• First HDR OLED display in a VR headset (not sure if this is still true)
• Piggybacks off the PS5 so it has the SSD and 3D audio available

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
15 years of no games :hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodychill posted:

15 years of no games :hai:

Many people assume that the best gaming years of one's life are between 18-26, but did you know that the average goon experiences their gaming peak after age 35?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

It's because the jokes are also just as low effort. If they were quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

I'd be all for them

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DF put up an interview with one of the journalists who got to play a few games on PSVR2, timestamped link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPJxRCD6xb8&t=45s

The guy hasn't used an Index so he's not able to compare with it, but he's spent a lot of time with PC VR generally and it sounds like PSVR2 blows every other headset on the market out of the water.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sony rolling out tournaments feature. first up is GG Strive

https://compete.playstation.com/es-pa/all/articles/222743

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Because I feel like it. :)

The description is in the video title? If you're aren't interested just don't press play?

That's not the issue. Keep posting them or stop, do whatever you want, all I'm saying is that you should just say something about them when you do. Legitimately, I'm more likely to watch one of those videos if I know why it's interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Worry not, friend, I've got just the thing... :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

acksplode posted:

DF put up an interview with one of the journalists who got to play a few games on PSVR2, timestamped link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPJxRCD6xb8&t=45s

The guy hasn't used an Index so he's not able to compare with it, but he's spent a lot of time with PC VR generally and it sounds like PSVR2 blows every other headset on the market out of the water.

I'm not aware of anything that has the eye tracking built in yet, at least not anything affordable. That enables foveated rendering which is a big deal, only the poo poo you're actually looking at will be max settings so you can save on resources, assuming it works well and isn't like how LOD is in existing games. Should be a big jump in image quality.