Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

sounds like they're confused by this part:

code:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I am no means a mail expert, but I think when you're sending out an e-mail, you can edit the "from:" portion to be whatever the gently caress you want.

It's been about 12 years but I have this vague memory from my college days of my uni giving us access to some mail server so we could write software that sent out e-mails as part of an assignment. My roomate and I accidentally got in trouble from goofing around too much, sending silly e-mails to one another that it started triggering anti-spam mechanisms. One of the things we were doing was putting silly things in the from: field. It's been so long there might be details I'm missing, and I certainly didn't really know what we were doing at the time, but I do remember messing around like that.

Nah, if you read the headers it definitely came from Paypal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can set the from to be whatever you want, but any modern receiving mail server is going to bin it instantly as it will fail SPF/DKIM/DMARC checks, and a company like PayPal will have that in place.

What's happened is that someone has managed to create an entity on PayPal called "Billing Department of PayPal" and then put that official-sounding blurb into the comments field. I don't know how things work in the USA but someone gave the scammer a toll free number to pull this scam off with, and PayPal let someone put "PayPal" in their name.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

rujasu posted:

Seems like they didn't alter the mail, they just put an official-sounding note in the "Seller note to customer" part of the form, unless I'm missing something? Like the mail is just a regular invoice, but they're allowed to add a note saying what the invoice is for, and they put the scam message in there

Yeah, I do think that this is what happened, but like why would Paypal allow the ability to add scammable info into this seller note space? I mean if it was a dating site, any data going between users is limited to text, and gets scrubbed for data like links, phone numbers, and emails.

My wife really wants to push on some government entity to take action against Paypal if that's what happened, as they are culpable if this is a vector that haven't closed (i.e. forwarding with creds scam emails), and the more I look into it, the more I believe it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I've created invoices in PayPal before, you can just put whatever you want under things like "seller note". You'd really think they'd have a way to automatically detect that someone put PayPal in as their business name, even setting aside the phone number issue. Here's what it looks like making an invoice:

When you make an invoice it's automatically sent by PayPal through PayPal, so they wouldn't need to do any fancy email address manipulation.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
ahh poo poo I called 555-CRIMES and I'm getting a busy signal what do I do now

help

can someone maybe open a ticket for me no I won't do it myself

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For me the bit that would come the closest to making PayPal have some liability is allowing whoever sent the invoice to use PayPal in their business name. Does it say PayPal or does it say PayPa capital-i

They could also very easily put some basic logic in place to scan the contents of the messages and I'm amazed that they just let a message like that pass through.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 20, 2022

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Everett False posted:

I've created invoices in PayPal before, you can just put whatever you want under things like "seller note". You'd really think they'd have a way to automatically detect that someone put PayPal in as their business name, even setting aside the phone number issue. Here's what it looks like making an invoice:

When you make an invoice it's automatically sent by PayPal through PayPal, so they wouldn't need to do any fancy email address manipulation.

Thanks for this screenshot. The scammed family member did contact Paypal, but at the time we didn't know the details of this process and how it happened, so they were all like 'Not our fault, not our problem' about it.

But the more I think about it, they are partially culpable for allowing this vector.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

For me the bit that would come the closest to making PayPal have some liability is allowing whoever sent the invoice to use PayPal in their business name. Does it say PayPal or does it say PayPa capital-i

They could also very easily put some basic logic in place to scan the contents of the messages and I'm amazed that they just let a message like that pass through.

yeah, now that I think about it you're probably right re the company name vs. what's in the comments. Here's the html for the 'Billing Department of PayPal'

code:
   <title>Invoice from Billing Department of PayPal (00012769)</title>
code:
<span>Billing Department of PayPal sent you an invoice for $500.00=C2=A0USD</span>
Looks like a real "Paypal" with a real "L"

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Seems like PayPal should be adding their own footer with the real PayPal phone number. They probably don't want to get calls with problems that need to be resolved by contacting the legitimate businesses that issue invoices though.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Hi I've gotten this exist scam! I wondered the exact same things! Nothing is being spoofed, it's just the message from the invoicer.

The biggest tell is the fact the top says "Hello Paypal User," Paypal at the bottom of their e-mails says

quote:

PayPal is committed to preventing fraudulent emails. Emails from PayPal will always contain your full name. Learn to identify phishing

Please don't reply to this email. To get in touch with us, click Help & Contact.

Not sure why you received this email? Learn more

Copyright © 1999-2022 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

Now this protection falls apart if the invoicer bothers to put in your name instead of "Paypal User" so a SLIGHTLY more targeted phish would still lead to this. The other fun part is the fact my account itself didn't have the invoice in it, because I think they mass send it out and then remove the proof so you can't report it and paypal doesn't ban the account that was used to send them all out. But yeah this is a case of phishers using legit sources like office document sharing that has you login to a real office sharing portal (without any login required) to a fake HTML page that has a login request which then steals your creds. But moving away from PCs and just having you call them to report the issue.

Edit:

Guy Axlerod posted:

Seems like PayPal should be adding their own footer with the real PayPal phone number. They probably don't want to get calls with problems that need to be resolved by contacting the legitimate businesses that issue invoices though.
They have it in links but yeah having it in the footer is likely a better choice. I guess with the fact online resources can be used, having legit sources posted in the e-mail would raise questions with two numbers.

And Krebs posted about this recently: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/08/paypal-phishing-scam-uses-invoices-sent-via-paypal/

minusX fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 20, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

rujasu posted:

Seems like they didn't alter the mail, they just put an official-sounding note in the "Seller note to customer" part of the form, unless I'm missing something? Like the mail is just a regular invoice, but they're allowed to add a note saying what the invoice is for, and they put the scam message in there

Everett False posted:

This is correct. You can look up this particular scam - anyone can send an invoice for anything, to be paid via PayPal. If you don't click "Pay", not a damned thing happens. Just ignore it.

And yeah, the "PayPal user" part is a dead giveaway - PayPal always knows your name, or at least the name you gave them.

Guy Axlerod posted:

They don't have a phone number. They absolutely don't want you calling them, exactly like eBay doesn't. Which is incredibly frustrating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Definitely that, though. They don't care - they get their percentage even if it's not legit.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

minusX posted:

Hi I've gotten this exist scam! I wondered the exact same things! Nothing is being spoofed, it's just the message from the invoicer.

The biggest tell is the fact the top says "Hello Paypal User," Paypal at the bottom of their e-mails says

And Krebs posted about this recently: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/08/paypal-phishing-scam-uses-invoices-sent-via-paypal/

Thanks for the Krebs link! and yeah, the family member missed that it wasn't addressed to them specifically, but honestly it would take me a bit to pick that out. Also if they had put more effort in they could have easily done that as their name was in the email.

Just crappy that it was a major loss of $$ - and it's tough to armor my older relatives against these. I originally rolled my eyes when I heard about it, but now that I've dug in, I can understand how they were hoodwinked.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Darchangel posted:

eBay doesn't.

Same thing.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Seems like the easiest and simplest thing they could do is add a little more to the "message from the seller" subheading like "This is the information the seller provided, this text is not from paypal:" and then put a border around the message itself.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SlowBloke posted:

Lenovo pushes firmware updates all the times for subcomponents on microsoft catalog while leaving bios updates to vantage. I think only Asus and their ilk are not using windows update for firmware.

Back to this, i received a bios update from asus for my z690 board yesterday so they do too(even if every bios update will factory reset the bios settings).

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Don't be too hard on your relative, it can happen to anyone. I got taken by a scammer a couple years ago.

I got a call on my cell phone early in the evening from what appeared to be my cell phone service provider's 1-800 number. I answered the call and was told that it was the company's fraud department calling to confirm whether I ordered two new iPhones. The caller sounded professional, the number was right, and the background noise sounded like a call center, so I believed him. He walked me through what he called the process of clearing up the fraudulent charges, which included text messages with confirmation numbers, apologizing the whole time for the inconvenience, and promising a credit on my next bill.

It wasn't until I got off the call that I noticed the little disclaimer at the bottom of each of the text messages saying that real company representatives would never ask for these numbers.
The call wasn't from the Fraud Department, it was from a fraudster impersonating them to hijack my account.

So I called the real fraud department. The bastard had ordered several thousand international calling minutes using my account, resulting in a $32,000 bill.

We eventually got it all straightened out, and I ended up losing nothing but my time.

To this day I can't even be mad at the scammer. It was a highly detailed and beautifully executed scam.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, this is the responsibility-dodging poo poo that PayPal and eBay were pulling for years, and part of the reason that they re-split the companies again. It lets them put you into an infinite retailer <> payment provider deferred responsibility loop that there's no escape from.

Darchangel posted:

They don't have a phone number. They absolutely don't want you calling them, exactly like eBay doesn't. Which is incredibly frustrating
You can find numbers if you dig just a teeny bit. They aren't actually useful though, because the core problem is they don't want to help you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I get at least one of those Paypal scams every day. The first time I got one I was reading mail on my phone, and learned you can't actually view headers from the Gmail Android app. They are incredibly convincing looking since they are legit emails from Paypal. Forward them to spoof@paypal.com if you get one, they are taking down the invoices.

I meant to send a reminder to my various elderly relatives about this one and never got around to it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

every time i get a fake text from a bank i no longer use i tell them to gently caress off before i block them

it's very cathartic

one time they accidentally sent a scam text out to a small group instead of just one person at a time and i just used that group text to explain why it was a scam and what you should watch out for...nobody ever responded, but it felt good to try to help a few strangers :shobon:

my mom has gotten scammed twice. She is a very generous and compassionate woman and is therefore an easy mark. She calls me first, now.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

Don't be too hard on your relative, it can happen to anyone. I got taken by a scammer a couple years ago.

I got a call on my cell phone early in the evening from what appeared to be my cell phone service provider's 1-800 number. I answered the call and was told that it was the company's fraud department calling to confirm whether I ordered two new iPhones. The caller sounded professional, the number was right, and the background noise sounded like a call center, so I believed him. He walked me through what he called the process of clearing up the fraudulent charges, which included text messages with confirmation numbers, apologizing the whole time for the inconvenience, and promising a credit on my next bill.

It wasn't until I got off the call that I noticed the little disclaimer at the bottom of each of the text messages saying that real company representatives would never ask for these numbers.
The call wasn't from the Fraud Department, it was from a fraudster impersonating them to hijack my account.

So I called the real fraud department. The bastard had ordered several thousand international calling minutes using my account, resulting in a $32,000 bill.

We eventually got it all straightened out, and I ended up losing nothing but my time.

To this day I can't even be mad at the scammer. It was a highly detailed and beautifully executed scam.

oof. Yeah, I'm trying to be supportive, and to build more backups and resilience into their workflows as the scam included installing software (cloud backup, maybe going to chromebook) , and also teaching some about a security posture. It's also an ongoing issue, as their number is now on everybody's list now as being an 'easy mark'.

In talking with some other older relatives about this, I heard of another scam approach that I hadn't heard of. The scammers call with an innocuous set of questions, targeted to get them to say specific phrases, these are then recorded and used to call phone companies/banks, etc to hijack accounts. I had imagined this could occur, but only for high level phishes, but I guess now the tech is so cheap, it's filtered down to average phish attempts. There were multiple stories about this actually happening to multiple relatives in the recent past. It's real bad.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This finally prompted me to send an email out to the fam telling them to call me ASAP if they suspected fuckery, along with tips on how to spot it. While writing that email I got two calls from "Amazon" asking me to confirm a $1499 purchase of a Macbook. This poo poo just never ends.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I just don't answer the phone anymore if it's a number I don't know; hell I barely answer the phone if it IS a number I know.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I don't answer the calls and the numbers are mostly all blocked by Google already, but they still leave voicemails that I then have to listen to and delete. I'm on a Verizon prepaid plan so that means dialing in and having to wait for the auto attendant to slowly read out the drat phone number of the scammer before I can actually listen to and delete the message. So obnoxious.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

PremiumSupport posted:

I tell people the thing to do is to ask for a case number or equivalent, if they don't give one then it's most likely a scam. If they do give one, hang up on them and don't answer their calls. Instead, if you have them saved in your contacts go there and call them or go to their site, preferably from a bookmark, and find their phone number and call it. Tell them you have a case number and give it to them, either they won't find the number and you dodged a scam or they have it in their system and you can get it sorted.

Finding the correct support phone number on some companies sites is easier said than done though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
One of our voip guys was doing some testing with a block of numbers we purchased as part of a SIP thing, he had the ENTIRE block of numbers forwarded to his test phones. Every 30s, one of those phones would ring from a scammer as their went down the numbers. He would put one on hold, answer the other, then conference them in. Pretty sure he had 5 of those guys on one call.
They were getting increasingly mad as would drop the call, get another call assigned to them, and then got dropped back into the conference.

One of them before he left said "You are a very bad person" to my coworker.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sirotan posted:

I don't answer the calls and the numbers are mostly all blocked by Google already, but they still leave voicemails that I then have to listen to and delete. I'm on a Verizon prepaid plan so that means dialing in and having to wait for the auto attendant to slowly read out the drat phone number of the scammer before I can actually listen to and delete the message. So obnoxious.

Visual voicemail is transformative, spring for it if you can afford it, especially since it means you can just play the message directly and delete it after 5 seconds.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Volmarias posted:

Visual voicemail is transformative, spring for it if you can afford it, especially since it means you can just play the message directly and delete it after 5 seconds.

Not offered at all for any prepaid plans :(

downout
Jul 6, 2009

PremiumSupport posted:

:lmao: did you actually order two iphones?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKain posted:

One of our voip guys was doing some testing with a block of numbers we purchased as part of a SIP thing, he had the ENTIRE block of numbers forwarded to his test phones. Every 30s, one of those phones would ring from a scammer as their went down the numbers. He would put one on hold, answer the other, then conference them in. Pretty sure he had 5 of those guys on one call.
They were getting increasingly mad as would drop the call, get another call assigned to them, and then got dropped back into the conference.

I had something like that happen back in '03. We occupied a 4-story building, so we had two full blocks of 100 numbers each. Some fuckwit in mortgages bought an autodialer and was going through our numbers in order. I called the bank and browbeat the receptionist into putting me through to whoever was in charge of telemarketing. Fucker didn't believe me when I said we had 200 numbers, I laughed and said this is a business. He wasn't laughing when we called the cops with a harassment complaint.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CitizenKain posted:

Please pass my compliments to your coworker, from one scambaiter to another. Best I've ever gotten is being told "okay sir the next step is for you take your computer and shove it up your rear end".

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I had something like that happen back in '03. We occupied a 4-story building, so we had two full blocks of 100 numbers each. Some fuckwit in mortgages bought an autodialer and was going through our numbers in order. I called the bank and browbeat the receptionist into putting me through to whoever was in charge of telemarketing. Fucker didn't believe me when I said we had 200 numbers, I laughed and said this is a business. He wasn't laughing when we called the cops with a harassment complaint.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVrX767IkdI

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

My mom got scammed exactly once, and thankfully she caught on before any money was extracted. Someone messaged her on WhatsApp saying something like "hey it's your oldest kid, I changed my number. Please delete the old one" and she fell for it. She caught on when the scammer refused to actually call or pick up and got more rude in their messages than I ever would. She called my wife who told me, and it got sorted out.

Now me & sis religiously post news about new scams in the family group chat.

I remember my dad showing me Nigerian scammer letters that he got over the years, kept them like trophies. Amazing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
One of the horrible subcontractors we do jobs for occasionaly has a web portal / app you gotta log into for checkin / checkout / submitting deliverables.
It’s been 2 years since I used it and I had my username but for some reason didn’t have the password for it recorded in my password manager.
There’s no “forgot password” button on the login page, so I go digging through my emails, as I vaguely remembered having issues with the login last time. I find an old email with a password reset link I got from 2020, I figure maybe it will get me to a page where I can request a reset again.
The link takes me to page where a pop-up tells me the link is expired, obviously, but — the “New Password” / “Confirm password” fields and submit button are still there. I punch in a new password, press the button, get another thing telling me the link is expired, ok. But — it actually did reset my password. They programmed it to tell you when the link is expired but they didnt actually expire the link. :stonk:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

downout posted:

:lmao: did you actually order two iphones?

Nope

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Not even 9am this morning and I got to tap the DNS sign.

Get some increasingly frantic emails starting last night, some product is set to go live next week, but the website isn't working.

Person is emailing different departments, and emails are starting to include things like "THIS IS IMPORTANT, PLEASE RESPOND"

Bit before the call, I look at the site that is in the email, doesn't resolve. Other sites in the email do. But this person saw part of the IP matched our external address, and assumed it was us.
I saw that : fart-test-thing.boners.com worked
fart-prod-thing.boners.com didn't work.
fart-thing.boners.com worked.

All the resolution is external, so its on the provider.
At any point, someone could have just done a nslookup and figured this out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Entropic posted:

One of the horrible subcontractors we do jobs for occasionaly has a web portal / app you gotta log into for checkin / checkout / submitting deliverables.
It’s been 2 years since I used it and I had my username but for some reason didn’t have the password for it recorded in my password manager.
There’s no “forgot password” button on the login page, so I go digging through my emails, as I vaguely remembered having issues with the login last time. I find an old email with a password reset link I got from 2020, I figure maybe it will get me to a page where I can request a reset again.
The link takes me to page where a pop-up tells me the link is expired, obviously, but — the “New Password” / “Confirm password” fields and submit button are still there. I punch in a new password, press the button, get another thing telling me the link is expired, ok. But — it actually did reset my password. They programmed it to tell you when the link is expired but they didnt actually expire the link. :stonk:
Grats on your no-doubt generous bug bounty.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arquinsiel posted:

Grats on your no-doubt generous bug bounty.

I'm sure if he'd asked they would have sent along a couple dead flies in an envelope.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

A ticket came in for one of our b2b clients and their access to our SPO collab sites.

“Hey, client can’t get in to our project site for their org. The previous user left the company but they’re using the same login/username so every time the new user tries to sign in the old user gets the MFA code. Can we update the phone number for the account management@company.com?”

:dogbutton::dogbutton::dogbutton:

Amazing there’s still some idiot hack doing poo poo like this in a business environment in 2022. Definitely became a management problem real quick, not touching that poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vegastar posted:

A ticket came in for one of our b2b clients and their access to our SPO collab sites.

“Hey, client can’t get in to our project site for their org. The previous user left the company but they’re using the same login/username so every time the new user tries to sign in the old user gets the MFA code. Can we update the phone number for the account management@company.com?”

:dogbutton::dogbutton::dogbutton:

Amazing there’s still some idiot hack doing poo poo like this in a business environment in 2022. Definitely became a management problem real quick, not touching that poo poo.

I've been doing b2b hosting for a while, and this is pretty standard. I usually recommend a distro when people ask me to set up email stuff, but its not uncommon for them to insist on a personal email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

RFC2324 posted:

I've been doing b2b hosting for a while, and this is pretty standard. I usually recommend a distro when people ask me to set up email stuff, but its not uncommon for them to insist on a personal email

Nah, this is Azure b2b for accounting engagements. We invite specific clients to a Sharepoint collab and it does all the federation shenanigans through Microsoft so they can log in and upload their financials and stuff. Requires an Azure AD/o365 account on the client side we can bring in as a guest stub to our tenant for access.

The client org was reusing the same AAD account/password across multiple users for this instead of disabling the user account and provisioning a new one when somebody is termed.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 22, 2022