Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I gotta say I think it made me turn a corner on Tom and finally see why the cum boys like him. For better or worse, he’s earnest and real. it’s the most burning and normal joke in the world, but “it’s a town so small and boring the Denny’s closes at 9” made me genuinely chuckle

I don’t give two shits about his politics or how much of a dumb lib he is or how insufferable he might be irl, Tom is more representative of the average American than any poster here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Guy sounds like hes as funny as he is smart

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

I have no idea who this guy even loving is. Going into I thought they were talking to the guy that was the voice of the Dad on Stephen Universe again, but I realzied thats a different Tom

oh yeah been watching some steven universe have ya

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

some plague rats posted:

oh yeah been watching some steven universe have ya

No I just remembered he was on an episode a few years ago

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Cael posted:

I gotta say I think it made me turn a corner on Tom and finally see why the cum boys like him. For better or worse, he’s earnest and real. it’s the most burning and normal joke in the world, but “it’s a town so small and boring the Denny’s closes at 9” made me genuinely chuckle

I don’t give two shits about his politics or how much of a dumb lib he is or how insufferable he might be irl, Tom is more representative of the average American than any poster here

hes a stand up comedian who does podcasts, he's representative of like a dozen americans, none of whom should be allowed to vote

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

KomradeX posted:

No I just remembered he was on an episode a few years ago

It's okay to watch Steven universe! Don't let spr shame you

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Will is the second worst Chapo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

studio mujahideen posted:

hes a stand up comedian who does podcasts, he's representative of like a dozen americans, none of whom should be allowed to vote

Unlike you I treasure the franchise and would never withhold it from fellow Americans no matter how represented they may already be by a comedian

I guess you have some growing up to do

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It's okay to watch Steven universe! Don't let spr shame you

wrong. it's not okay and will be held against you on the day of all judgement

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

some plague rats posted:

wrong. it's not okay and will be held against you on the day of all judgement

What’s wrong with it? This isn’t me challenging you just pretty much unfamiliar with it except that it’s I guess a childrens show that has an inexplicable adult fan base? I see periodic mocking about it but not anywhere near the amount of weirdness that followed the adult my little pony fans

Sorry to ask but should I look down on the fans or are they mostly harmless?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it turned my basic libdad friend with a couple kids into a trans rights crusader, but that's all i know. i watched one ep and thought it was kid poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What’s wrong with it? This isn’t me challenging you just pretty much unfamiliar with it except that it’s I guess a childrens show that has an inexplicable adult fan base? I see periodic mocking about it but not anywhere near the amount of weirdness that followed the adult my little pony fans

Sounds like someone needs to reread first Corinthians

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

eh. Imagine if all the bronies had decided that watching MLP means you're queer and you've got steven universe

There's nothing actually wrong with it, it's just like MLP or she ra or gravity falls, just a strong indicator that you're talking to someone who owns rainbow coloured everything while thinking of trans people as a type of cool pet, and being gay as a club you get to join if you like marvel enough

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I have spent $10 on a Tom Meyers CD. I have spent $0 on Stav's stand up. The numbers speak for themselves.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!
Seeing people discover Tom for the first time is a delight.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Tom is the easiest lib in the world they’d have to convince. he’s happy to be on the show. he’s willing to engage. and they couldn’t get him to budge and will backed it off. never let Chapo convince you about electoralism again.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It's pretty good children's media if you ask me, and I think any children's show that does a decent job of teaching social and emotional lessons is going to get big with maladjusted & weepy adults who like a big mushy show about being nice. The wounded adult men who get way into it are probably pretty harmless on average if I had to guess, but I was never into the show enough to tell you about the fandom or w/e

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

some plague rats posted:

eh. Imagine if all the bronies had decided that watching MLP means you're queer and you've got steven universe

There's nothing actually wrong with it, it's just like MLP or she ra or gravity falls, just a strong indicator that you're talking to someone who owns rainbow coloured everything while thinking of trans people as a type of cool pet, and being gay as a club you get to join if you like marvel enough

is this tumblr user in the room with us right now?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I'm replying to his post

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fr0id posted:

Tom is the easiest lib in the world they’d have to convince. he’s happy to be on the show. he’s willing to engage. and they couldn’t get him to budge and will backed it off. never let Chapo convince you about electoralism again.

Its not even they couldn't get him to budge Will literally cut it short there was one single exchange of viewpoints and than Will diffused all tension

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the steven universe discourse is the way it is bc they made it specifically for that crowd. the showrunner got their start doing fanart and poo poo.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

the steven universe discourse is the way it is bc they made it specifically for that crowd. the showrunner got their start doing fanart and poo poo.

buddy have i got some news for you about 99% of artists lol

also im not a steven universe knower but im pretty sure the creator is an ex adventure time person so i think thats probably how they got their start

some plague rats posted:

Yeah I'm replying to his post

sighing as i add you to my DNI carrd

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sighing as i add you to my DNI carrd

lol I had to google this what the gently caress is that all about

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

buddy have i got some news for you about 99% of artists lol

also im not a steven universe knower but im pretty sure the creator is an ex adventure time person so i think thats probably how they got their start

do you ahve a single thing to contribute to this conversation

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Samuel Glompers posted:

It's pretty good children's media if you ask me, and I think any children's show that does a decent job of teaching social and emotional lessons is going to get big with maladjusted & weepy adults who like a big mushy show about being nice. The wounded adult men who get way into it are probably pretty harmless on average if I had to guess, but I was never into the show enough to tell you about the fandom or w/e

some plague rats posted:

Thanks that makes sense I will continue to mostly just not pay it any mind

Yeesh. I was just curious. Sorry to hit a nerve

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I liked Steven Universe, cute show. Liked the non violent approach to conflict resolution. While every property gathers absurd gross fana, the people that performatively hate a show I don't think are much different from those fans.

Anyway Regular Show was my absolute favorite cause as someone who was perpetually broke in my 20s working the exact kind of job as Mordaci and Rigby it appealed to me immensely

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
was a good try at burying the hatchet and i wish it could work. tom is exactly what the adam friedland show needs to make it really funny.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IMO it's fine to like children's media as long as you're not weird about it. If you are an adult, for instance, and you make a children's cartoon a significant part of your identity and you're not even getting paid to do it, you uh probably should stop doing that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

chapo guest pushback has been zero since matt "cops are workers" taibbi was last on

i don't like their nonconfrontational interviewing style tbh. it has a different feel than what andrew callaghan does where he lets people show who they are in their own words

Matt had talked about their interview style on his vlog referencing after the David cross debacle he said it was bad and unfun as hosts and for the viewer and if they aren’t having fun and making people uncomfortable then why do it

I disagree but he’s acknowledged it and said why. that said the David cross debacle was really loving bad so I get why they want or avoid a repeat. like almost as bad as the azelia banks trueanon episode. I think Liz said like one word the entire time

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:50 on Sep 22, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

some plague rats posted:

lol I had to google this what the gently caress is that all about

its wild poo poo

Farm Frenzy posted:

do you ahve a single thing to contribute to this conversation

?

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Xaris posted:

Matt had talked about their interview style on his vlog referencing after the David cross debacle he said it was bad and unfun as hosts and for the viewer and if they aren’t having fun and making people uncomfortable then why do it

I disagree but he’s acknowledged it and said why. that said the David cross debacle was really loving bad so I get why they want or avoid a repeat. like almost as bad as the azelia banks trueanon episode. I think Liz said like one word the entire time

Was it that bad? Idk I remember it as just some tension that dissipated surrounding some kinda right wing group felix wanted to just dismiss outright & that david cross said should be taken seriously. Didn't read as a big deal to me at the time. Felix yelled I guess

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

IMO it's fine to like children's media as long as you're not weird about it. If you are an adult, for instance, and you make a children's cartoon a significant part of your identity and you're not even getting paid to do it, you uh probably should stop doing that

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

yall nerds, cth owns

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
kill james bond has a good episode on hedwig and the angry inch

also they're posting the premium episodes on the free feed for the winter

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fr0id posted:

They should have said Bill Hicks was a Marxist if they wanted to win him over.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Its not even they couldn't get him to budge Will literally cut it short there was one single exchange of viewpoints and than Will diffused all tension

Will kinda sucks when actually put in conflict with libs, Matt and Felix have been way more willing to have interpersonal conflict in the past.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Will kinda sucks when actually put in conflict with libs, Matt and Felix have been way more willing to have interpersonal conflict in the past.

From being a host/discussion moderator perspectives I can see the neee to not want to bicker with a guest. But you should allow at least a slight discussion even if you know the lib isn't going to change their mind. Which I guess again good moderator move to just cut it off before it just becomes a hostile situation. But in this case that short discussion was the only interesting part of the whole show. The rest of the episode was boring as poo poo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

To be fair, from what I’ve gleaned of Tom Myer’s mind, he’s not going to change it, you can’t really appeal to anything there, the man lacks self awareness and awareness of his surroundings.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah so like I get just nipping it in the bud. But it was just well a boring episode. Though Matt calling Hungary, Alabama with EU subsidies was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

some plague rats posted:

I think shows like that all catch people who don't see a lot of representation that combines the kiddish fun of all those shows with the more grown up themes of acceptance, being different, standing up for your identity, etc.

There were no shows like that for my wife and her trans/nb/bi friends when they were kids. Now it's a huge market where well known studios are producing stories about different people (different sizes, races, sexualities, identities, etc) in all the same roles we saw mostly skinny straight white dudes and ladies.

I think it's easy to write that audience off for all of its (real) obnoxious people who want to adopt queer people or queer identity as kayfabe that they throw off when convenient. But there's an equal or greater quantity of people in my life that finally get to see non stereotyped characters that represent them- even if those characters are animated and fighting evil witches or something instead of being depressed and lonely on prestige TV.