Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

His true greatest sin, in regards to employment, remains suing a big boy company.

Right, but I'd argue that naturally and inseparably derives from the same behaviour that got him into trouble in the first place - he's an entitled rear end in a top hat who constantly escalates when he doesn't get his way. He's a very specifically difficult-to-employ sort of predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Skwirl posted:

I've seen photos of the guy, he also has a punchable face.

Given his general demeanor on Nick's stream, Ty just... kind of seems like an rear end in a top hat in general

And a walking heart attack for an unsuspecting malpractice insurance agent

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it’s not slander if it true, and vic is judgement proof re: being a sexual predator. also practically every well-funding losing party in impact litigation seeks an en banc review and whatever else to keep the case going. it’s a grift!

Skwirl posted:

If he had just laid low for like 2 years, he would probably be getting new voicework currently.
rekieta was instrumental in torpedoing both vic’s and his own career. dude should have chased ambulances instead.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 22, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Honestly in retrospect its kind of damning how long Vic was able to get away with this poo poo as an anime va considering how quickly he got chaos dunked for this poo poo in every other job he’s had

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gyges posted:

His true greatest sin, in regards to employment, remains suing a big boy company.

I still kind of wish he went after Warner Brothers because technically Rooster Teeth fired Vic first.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Honestly in retrospect its kind of damning how long Vic was able to get away with this poo poo as an anime va considering how quickly he got chaos dunked for this poo poo in every other job he’s had
turns out that dub fans are cretins who don’t mind if their favorite community theater werido sexually harasses an all-time member of Anime Royalty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he got called out for it very quickly (see it being known even before he was cast as ed as mentioned earlier in the thread) but if theres any community that loving hates women and wont listen to them at all, its western anime fandom, especially 2003-2016 anime fandom. you could see the downplaying start almost as soon as he was called out for it. 'lol theyre just mad he doesnt like yaoi' was a big one.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Endorph posted:

he got called out for it very quickly (see it being known even before he was cast as ed as mentioned earlier in the thread) but if theres any community that loving hates women and wont listen to them at all, its western anime fandom, especially 2003-2016 anime fandom. you could see the downplaying start almost as soon as he was called out for it. 'lol theyre just mad he doesnt like yaoi' was a big one.
the state (and output) of the industry was just DIRE back then. mainstream success drawing a more diverse range of fans in the past few years of anime boom times has really improved the fan base. even on SA, it was a lot of loving creeps back then. seeing Cool Zoomers wearing dbz and naruto stuff in public is still wild to me. good riddance to the Yaoi Paddle Era

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the audience was always diverse in my experience, women were all over the place and always liked anime in the west, and black dudes always loved dbz, etc, they were just constantly, constantly downplayed and belittled in pretty much any space, mainstream or otherwise. it was kind of a filtering system where only the weirdest, least socially conscious women could be open and passionate, which of course led to stuff like yaoi paddles. not to absolve people of yaoi paddle crimes but you get what i mean.

read: i watched the utterly terrible tokyopop 'america's greatest otaku' reality show and for some reason they had a guy rap about how much he hates fangirls and how naruto and sasuke arent gay. and then hiroshi nagahama, director of mushishi, decided that a guy who cosplays as super mario 24/7 should go to japan. and then it cut to the super mario cosplayer hitting on a butler at a butler cafe. credits.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 22, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Endorph posted:

the audience was always diverse in my experience, women were all over the place and always liked anime in the west, and black dudes always loved dbz, etc, they were just constantly, constantly downplayed and belittled in pretty much any space, mainstream or otherwise.

read: i watched the utterly terrible tokyopop 'america's greatest otaku' reality show and for some reason they had a guy rap about how much he hates fangirls and how naruto and sasuke arent gay
yeah the “black guy who really likes dbz/naruto” was always a stereotype, but it seems way more mainstream now. streaming really expanded the audience and the kids are really out and proud instead of “concealing their power level” circa 2005. licenses, merchandise, actual theatrical releases, and etc. is nuts. vic could hide when the biggest fish was the handful of people who worked ADV or Manga Entertainment, but Sony can absolutely blackbag your rear end if you embarrass them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

Not too long before all this cooked off there was also that thing where Vic stood up to some fundamentalist Evangelical types and that bought him some mainstream goodwill for a while. Maybe a year or so before? I dunno, COVID has rendered time meaningless.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Endorph posted:

read: i watched the utterly terrible tokyopop 'america's greatest otaku' reality show and for some reason they had a guy rap about how much he hates fangirls and how naruto and sasuke arent gay. and then hiroshi nagahama, director of mushishi, decided that a guy who cosplays as super mario 24/7 should go to japan. and then it cut to the super mario cosplayer hitting on a butler at a butler cafe. credits.

The whole Tokyopop situation is a loving tale. Was there ever a thread? I wasn't on the forums during my peak weeb years, but I bought Mixxzine's first two issues and then followed the company until its sudden but inevitable bullshit turns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The whole Tokyopop situation is a loving tale. Was there ever a thread? I wasn't on the forums during my peak weeb years, but I bought Mixxzine's first two issues and then followed the company until its sudden but inevitable bullshit turns.

There's a good video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbKFejwLlUY Probably more. You could mine that vein for a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah I know a lot of people (myself included) who found the entire thing so horrifying they just retreated back into their own little circles instead of trying to join larger fandom, especially in the early days where the internet was only kinda an option.

I'll never forget my first comic convention where a like 10 year old me was forced to listen to some guy talk about She-Hulk's breasts for twenty minutes while waiting in line because someone was VERY CONVINCED I cared about She-Hulk's breasts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I know a lot of people (myself included) who found the entire thing so horrifying they just retreated back into their own little circles instead of trying to join larger fandom, especially in the early days where the internet was only kinda an option.

I'll never forget my first comic convention where a like 10 year old me was forced to listen to some guy talk about She-Hulk's breasts for twenty minutes while waiting in line because someone was VERY CONVINCED I cared about She-Hulk's breasts.

fandom. fandom never changes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

You never know, your knowledge of gamma ray titties may save your life one day. It's not likely, but What If?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dawgstar posted:

Not too long before all this cooked off there was also that thing where Vic stood up to some fundamentalist Evangelical types and that bought him some mainstream goodwill for a while. Maybe a year or so before? I dunno, COVID has rendered time meaningless.

I recall somewhere on these forums like 8-10 years ago someone was saying something along the lines of “Vic is not a homophobe you’re just assuming he is because he’s a devout Christian”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Skwirl posted:

I've seen photos of the guy, he also has a punchable face.

he looks like the guy who plays every sleazebag from 90s tv

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

You never know, your knowledge of gamma ray titties may save your life one day. It's not likely, but What If?

You jest, but Razorback's knowledge about She-Hulk breasts was part of a successful defense of the character in a cosmic court case by the TVA (Time Variance Authority; the organization Loki now works for in the Disney+ show) during a run nearly 20 years ago. She-Hulk's 100th issue, in fact. Which included a poo poo load of cameos as an anniversary issue. She was on trial for trying to change time by trying to warn a past Hawkeye that he'd die, with the maximum penalty of being erased from time by a retro active cannon and multiple people were coming forward to give testimonials about how her existence had been essential to them and their lives would be completely different without her. Which included a space trucker called Razorback, basically just a guy in a huge boar face helm, talking about how she'd once saved them in a way no-one else could replicate because her clothes had accidentally been destroyed during a fight and the sight of the biggest breasts in existence had stunned the opponents so much that the fight was over afterwards. Something no-one else could do, because no-one else had such prodigious breasts.

Yes, that was a thing that happened. Not even that long ago. I originally thought it was from John Byrne's run on the comics back in the late 80s and early 90s that tended to use her appearance and sexuality for a lot of jokes, usually in a way that involved breaking the 4th wall in some way that became emblematic for the character for several years before Deadpool took over that schtick in the 2000s, but when I went looking to see if I could find it to verify it wasn't just a fever dream or something, I realized that no, it was Dan Slott's run on the books and happened in February 2006.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 22, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I recall somewhere on these forums like 8-10 years ago someone was saying something along the lines of “Vic is not a homophobe you’re just assuming he is because he’s a devout Christian”
that was a super common line back then. anime news network ran like multiple defense force articles with that exact logic whenever he got called out. of course they deleted all of them when he finally got tossed out.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

These are the same people who got VERY UPSET over girls squeeing about bishie yaoi men

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
As an aside, it is hilarious to me that the first time i spot tsob outside of the Gundam thread, it’s a lore dump about marvel comics canonically being very weird about she-hulk’s breasts

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You know what though, I’m here for the talk about baps. Adtrw must never forget it’s roots

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think inexplicable tangents about she hulk's titties might be a little inappropriate here in the sexual predator thread

but hey i would also like to forget those roots so who am i to make that call

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think the way works of fiction encourage fans' worst impulses under the guise of good harmless fun is at least topical.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just found it funny that the one character someone was going "well, you never know..." about had a story whose resolution actually included that in some way :shrug:

Weird and not something that reflects well on the comics industry, but a funny coincidence to me all the same.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
We are talking about an industry where fridging women was an issue. An issue that had to be argued it existed despite the nominative fridging of a woman, and fans/creators still aren't 100% on board with being an issue.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

saying "stay frosty" to Alexandra DeWitt only to immediately regret my choice of words

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

To this day I'm still not sure if Steven Foster cast Vic as a pedophile ghost obsessed with teenage girls in the ADV dub of Ghost Stories as an incredible coincidence, or an attempt to try and blow the whistle or at least just style on him for being a creeper all the way back in loving 2001.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

nine-gear crow posted:

To this day I'm still not sure if Steven Foster cast Vic as a pedophile ghost obsessed with teenage girls in the ADV dub of Ghost Stories as an incredible coincidence, or an attempt to try and blow the whistle or at least just style on him for being a creeper all the way back in loving 2001.

They definitely had at least one joke about him being a creep in one of the last few episodes, so I’d lean towards it being intentional

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dawgstar posted:

There's a good video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbKFejwLlUY Probably more. You could mine that vein for a while.

The video may be good but Red Bard is a scumbag.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, definitely say that poo poo without reciepts or explanation. Normal thing to post.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Took part in a harassment campaign meant to ruin someone else's life. Used their platform to spread false rumors and claim they personally knew nonexistent victims. Never apologized. Never admitted wrongdoing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Took part in a harassment campaign meant to ruin someone else's life. Used their platform to spread false rumors and claim they personally knew nonexistent victims. Never apologized. Never admitted wrongdoing.

Lead with that next time and don't pretend everybody knows everything about random anime YouTubers.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sorry, I thought that was fairly well-known knowledge.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Sorry, I thought that was fairly well-known knowledge.

I don't think I had even heard of a 'Red Bard' before.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's crazy to me that anyone will make posts like that without naming names.

EDIT: oh, it was the Vinny thing. Even in a world where Vinny is completely innocent and it's all fabricated (I have no idea, the allegations seemed kind of flimsy) calling someone a "scumbag" or whatever for maybe being overly credulous and passionate when people come directly to them asking for help is a wack way to characterize people.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 25, 2022

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The...uploader of the video that Dawgstar posted? Someone whose videos average hundreds of thousands to millions of views?

Am I being trolled here?

DoctorWhat posted:

It's crazy to me that anyone will make posts like that without naming names.

EDIT: oh, it was the Vinny thing. Even in a world where Vinny is completely innocent and it's all fabricated (I have no idea, the allegations seemed kind of flimsy) calling someone a "scumbag" or whatever for maybe being overly credulous and passionate when people come directly to them asking for help is a wack way to characterize people.

No one came to them asking for help though. That's the thing. It was 100% fabricated. It was one big stunt pulled by Red Bard, 4chan/Kiwifarms, and a former friend of Vinny's, "former" because he himself was a shady scumbag.

Here's a good HobbyDrama post with a writeup on the whole thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/v8bbaq/streamersvinesauce_geepm_how_to_nuke_your/

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 25, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No? There are many thousands of people who each average many thousands of views. Most people will never have heard of any given YouTuber, even relatively popular YouTubers who specifically appeal to shared interests.

Even fewer people will reasonably remember year-old flash-in-the-pan twitter drama, especially not with any level of detail. Most people do not maintain Internet Personality Dossiers. I do, because it happens automatically due to my brain problems, but my memory is far from perfect either.

Generally speaking, if you believe someone has committed some kind of misconduct, and you think that misconduct is relevant to a conversation, you should be clear and explicit (within the bounds of good taste) as to what that misconduct entailed. Euphemism, exaggeration, and innuendo are obnoxious and unhelpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The...uploader of the video that Dawgstar posted? Someone whose videos average hundreds of thousands to millions of views?

Am I being trolled here?

I have no idea who Red Bard is and had never heard of them before your post. There are probably thousands of million plus view YouTubers I've never heard of either.