Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Here's something a little terrifying:
My 4 year old spiked a fever and part of his leg to swollen and hot with white pustules. Doctor thinks its bug bites that got infected. He gets a prescription for amoxicillin. I go to the pharmacy to fill it. They are out of amoxicillin. They check the other location down the road, they are also out. They are about to give me some numbers of other pharmacies and the official name to ask for to check to see if they have it in stock and I am about to cry because I don't have the bandwidth to deal with this at all, but the pharmacist came over and said they have enough to mix up for a few days worth and I can come back when the next shipment comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
poo poo, that is terrifying. I'm sorry you both have to deal with that. I'm glad they were able to get you some to tide you over, at least. And that stuff tends to work pretty quickly, thankfully.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alterian posted:

My 4 year old spiked a fever and part of his leg to swollen and hot with white pustules. Doctor thinks its bug bites that got infected. He gets a prescription for amoxicillin. I go to the pharmacy to fill it. They are out of amoxicillin. They check the other location down the road, they are also out. They are about to give me some numbers of other pharmacies and the official name to ask for to check to see if they have it in stock and I am about to cry because I don't have the bandwidth to deal with this at all, but the pharmacist came over and said they have enough to mix up for a few days worth and I can come back when the next shipment comes in.

Oof. Where are you located?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alterian posted:

prescription for amoxicillin. I go to the pharmacy to fill it. They are out of amoxicillin. They check the other location down the road, they are also out

:tinfoil:

the gently caress happened that we ran out of amoxicillin

that stuff is like water or electricity in the pharmacy trade, in third world countries a bottle of the stuff goes for $0.15 for a month's worth. giant alarm bells are going off in my head right now

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Alterian posted:

Ugh, yeah, this summer we discovered our kid has a pretty serious food allergy, but tracking down a pharmacy with baby epipens actually in stock was a huge headache, even the Walgreens internal stock tracker thing was lying to all the pharmacists. It’s like, I literally need this thing to potentially save my kid’s life, why is this so hard??? All this poo poo sucks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anyone have advice for first time swimming? Kid is 14 months and we're going to a baby spa just to test out playing in the water (not a pool, its basically just a hot tub with clear sides.) If they like doing that then I want to start doing more "real" swimming lessons soon. I'd been waiting until they got at least 2 covid shots.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

:tinfoil:

the gently caress happened that we ran out of amoxicillin

that stuff is like water or electricity in the pharmacy trade, in third world countries a bottle of the stuff goes for $0.15 for a month's worth. giant alarm bells are going off in my head right now

Welcome to the 2022 supply chain shortages.

I have not had a single prescription I could pick up on time at the local pharmacy in like 2 months.

It always gets delayed at least a day maybe 2.

Except the epipens. Those I got same day.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Anyone have advice for first time swimming? Kid is 14 months and we're going to a baby spa just to test out playing in the water (not a pool, its basically just a hot tub with clear sides.) If they like doing that then I want to start doing more "real" swimming lessons soon. I'd been waiting until they got at least 2 covid shots.

Honestly, just be there with them. It’s more about exposure at first rather than anything else.

Lots of encouragement regardless of how quickly or slowly they take to it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm located in one of the large metro areas in NC.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I present, the most terrifying note that daycare has sent home to date:

Fortunately it turned into the "happy pseudo-stoned" kind of tired and not the "hate all things" kind of tired.

I am not ready for that nap to go away.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

A Bad King posted:

We started elimination communication early in life, so my son hasn't needed to wear a diaper since age 10mo. There are still accidents obviously (especially when he's excited about something going on and he just doesn't want to spend the a minute on a potty break), but these diaper stories constantly reaffirm we made the right choice.

"Babies hate peeing or pooping themselves and you can help them learn to communicate when they have to go," should be in every parenting handbook that doesn't get handed out at the maternity ward.

Yep, we've been doing EC as well. We're not diaper free yet at 23 months (he still can't quite get his own pants/diaper on and off), but he's pretty happy on the potty, and will often request to go when he needs to. Recently we've been leaving him pantsless sometimes and he'll often take himself.

Nearly all his poop goes in the potty though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
After yet another screaming kicking flailing episode at bed time that lasted until 9 pm from our 4.5 year old, my wife found this article and boy did we both need to read it: https://www.janetlansbury.com/2020/06/its-not-regression/. Some really helpful perspective and compassion for both parent and child.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Muir posted:

After yet another screaming kicking flailing episode at bed time that lasted until 9 pm from our 4.5 year old, my wife found this article and boy did we both need to read it: https://www.janetlansbury.com/2020/06/its-not-regression/. Some really helpful perspective and compassion for both parent and child.

Not bad. A bit wordy, like you get with podcast transcripts, but words of wisdom.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

GoutPatrol posted:

If they like doing that then I want to start doing more "real" swimming lessons soon.

I have a different perspective on that. I view swimming and comfort around water as a basic safety skill. We take our kids to the pool regardless of if they like it or not. The point is exposure and training comfort with water.

At 14 months it’s definitely necessary to go with them, provide comfort and model play. But for some kids it’s a stretch for them to get comfortable with the water and need a push to get over the hump.

Which is to say, I’d probably skip the baby spa and go straight to baby swim class (unless the baby spa thing is easier).

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Brawnfire posted:

Any cool nature/science docs on the major streamers (Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, YouTube) y'all recommend? I'm terrible at panning for gold on streaming services

Prime has lots of the kratt brother stuff. Watching zoboomafu took me waaay back

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Muir posted:

Thank you for sharing. I think it had some nice bits for me to remember when I’m losing my mind.

At the same time, though, these types of articles frustrate me. What is the authority of this person? What is the basis for their advice? The article starts with them looking up the definition of the word “regression.” Should we listen to a person who needs to do that, or should we only listen to people who already know the clinical definition of it?

I feel like every article like this has the same advice: as a parent, don’t get upset, your child isn’t wrong they’re just going through something, never raise your voice, just stop them from hurting you when they’re hitting. And I know a lot of this is true, but I also think this type of advice gets picked up because it touches some shame receptors in parents’ brains, that we aren’t good enough and we should always be in charge of the situation and that we aren’t giving our children enough attention. Like I don’t know if the selection mechanism for parental advice is empirical evidence or just moralism (and that moralism is usually conservative and classist, like assuming you have a parent home with the child and not busy working/cleaning/cooking/doing all the other things you have to do).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

GoutPatrol posted:

My kid is 2.5y, started swimming lessons recently (parent/tot combined) and my observation of all the kids is basically just get your kid comfortable with being around/in water and don't worry about the real swimming part. The kids don't have the strength/endurance for constant swimming until around 3y (most can barely do it), and the "lesson" portion is wasted on those kids that are only learning to get comfortable with the water. The kids that are excelling in the lessons are those that aren't afraid of the water and have the strength to do things like lift their butts up and be horizontal in the water in order to kick and move forward.

This advice is probably void if your last name is Phelps.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Puddle jumper style floaties are seriously the best.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

I present, the most terrifying note that daycare has sent home to date:

Fortunately it turned into the "happy pseudo-stoned" kind of tired and not the "hate all things" kind of tired.

I am not ready for that nap to go away.

It's the opposite for us. Our 2 year old always naps and that's fine, we put her in her crib and close the door and she may cry once or twice but that's fixed by going in and giving her the dropped pacifier/book from her crib.

The four year old sleeps in a bed and comes out a bunch of times. We locked him in after 2 poopy diapers last night, 1 pissed in diaper (each one with an added piss pad, this is really expensive, please loving LEARN TO USE THE POTTY) and one 'I came downstairs because I wanted to be with you'. When he naps at daycare we know we're in for a long night, and he won't fall asleep until 11 or so. If he doesn't nap at daycare, he may be in a bad mood when he gets home because he's tired, but at least he's going to go to sleep by about 8:30pm or so.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

redreader posted:

It's the opposite for us. Our 2 year old always naps and that's fine, we put her in her crib and close the door and she may cry once or twice but that's fixed by going in and giving her the dropped pacifier/book from her crib.

The four year old sleeps in a bed and comes out a bunch of times. We locked him in after 2 poopy diapers last night, 1 pissed in diaper (each one with an added piss pad, this is really expensive, please loving LEARN TO USE THE POTTY) and one 'I came downstairs because I wanted to be with you'. When he naps at daycare we know we're in for a long night, and he won't fall asleep until 11 or so. If he doesn't nap at daycare, he may be in a bad mood when he gets home because he's tired, but at least he's going to go to sleep by about 8:30pm or so.

Stupid question but have you asked the daycare to not let him nap?

It boggles my mind to think that some child care professional would think it’s appropriate to put a 4 year old down for a daytime nap. It just sounds completely insane unless the kids seems sick or something (in which case send them home).

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

GoutPatrol posted:

Just demonstrate how fun being in the water can be; at the age of 14 months, you can help them learn about blowing bubbles in the water, laying on their stomach and back, and generally make it a safe and happy place to be. Your attitude will help immensely, and making games out of it will also earn them confidence that yes this is where we want to spend our time. Throw a ball and help them "swim" to it in a race against mommy/daddy! Water toys, especially buckets and cups that let them move water around from one spot to another. Wearing goggles and learning that dipping the head underwater can actually mean seeing a whole different perspective (daddy's belly, except blue and underwater). Take them to the aquarium and let them watch belugas and dolphins playing and swimming beneath the water, and associate it with pool activity time.

If you make it into a weekly thing, where you're going to the pool 2 days a week or so, they can be doing really crazy things by age ~18mo-24mo -- diving from the side of the pool and doing flips underwater; swimming 8 or more feet of distance toward you with goggles; standing on your hands, and jumping into the water from your shoulder-height with little toddler water acrobatics. Swimming lessons will help you structure your time with them in the pool but won't actually be impactful enough to teach them how to actually swim. That requires commitment from the parent to practice practice and practice with the little person, and the little person to agree that this is fun and entertaining.

It is fun, and it is an activity they will yell for just as loudly as they do for going to the park or their playmate's house, and if you enjoy swimming it can be a moment of pride that you have a toddler who can swim across the smaller width of the pool with only minimal supervision. Humans are super cool like that. The summary is, get them and yourself super comfortable with being in a place that can very quickly drown them.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 22, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Stupid question but have you asked the daycare to not let him nap?

It boggles my mind to think that some child care professional would think it’s appropriate to put a 4 year old down for a daytime nap. It just sounds completely insane unless the kids seems sick or something (in which case send them home).

I think it's pretty child-dependent when a kid will drop their daytime nap completely, with the age being anywhere from 3-5, and it not being a sudden thing. So most daycares do "quiet time" in the afternoon, which can be a nap time for kids who do nap.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Nearly all his poop goes in the potty though.

No one who understands there are alternatives to going number 2 in a diaper, likes to poo their pants. My son will literally warn us 10+ minutes before he actually has to go poop that he intends to poop so that we can prepare the logistics of the poop.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Asking the thread if it is common for toddlers to consume a whole half-rack of pork ribs in one sitting or if portion sizes are still a thing at this age????

He kept demanding ribs. More, and more. Ate his buckwheat. Ate his veggies. Ate 8 ribs. Asking for more.

This is after an intense playdate, but by god he eats and eats and still stays the same toddler size. I thought this could be expected at year 14???

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

A Bad King posted:

Asking the thread if it is common for toddlers to consume a whole half-rack of pork ribs in one sitting or if portion sizes are still a thing at this age????

Yeah, they go through phases of eating everything in sight and asking for more and then existing entirely on air and ice cream. It's pretty normal. We're in a "what's that? I don't like that." And "Oh yay my favorite! *eats two bites and runs away*" phase ourselves, but it'll switch back again eventually.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

JackBandit posted:

I feel like every article like this has the same advice: as a parent, don’t get upset, your child isn’t wrong they’re just going through something, never raise your voice, just stop them from hurting you when they’re hitting. And I know a lot of this is true, but I also think this type of advice gets picked up because it touches some shame receptors in parents’ brains, that we aren’t good enough and we should always be in charge of the situation and that we aren’t giving our children enough attention. Like I don’t know if the selection mechanism for parental advice is empirical evidence or just moralism (and that moralism is usually conservative and classist, like assuming you have a parent home with the child and not busy working/cleaning/cooking/doing all the other things you have to do).

There were some helpful bits in that article but I do get annoyed at how many parenting articles just seem to gloss over the fact that parents are loving tired 100% of the time and we are also not always in our right minds.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My <3yo recently had a meal more than twice the size of mine, and I'm a big fella who likes to eat. It comes and goes, imho.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I think it's pretty child-dependent when a kid will drop their daytime nap completely, with the age being anywhere from 3-5, and it not being a sudden thing. So most daycares do "quiet time" in the afternoon, which can be a nap time for kids who do nap.

Yeah, our daycare calls it naptime, and tries to have all the kids actually nap. Then complains when my 4.5yo won't stop fidgeting. The pediatrician's office was flabbergasted that they'd try to get kids over 4 to nap.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter informed me she doesn't like my tacos just as I was about to serve tacos, but luckily she *does* like quesadillas. With all the same ingredients as the tacos!

Kids are fantastic for practicing flexibility in the face of the arbitrary.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Strained a back muscle pretty badly putting my kid in his crib tonight :corsair:

Hopefully I can function tomorrow!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our daughter has been sleepwalking almost every night for the past few weeks - right around 11PM and then on rare occasion again at 3AM. Not totally sure what's triggering it. She seems happy, and when we talk to her about life, she doesn't mention anything that is upsetting her. It could be bathroom related because half of the time, she ends up going to the bathroom. We're trying calming exercises before bed + calm play and limiting water after dinner. Hopefully it's just a phase and not indicative of something more serious.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Does anyone have any suggestions for less stimulating YouTube content for babies and toddlers?

Our kid just turned seven months and is able to attend to things much better than earlier. Like clockwork, we've resorted to putting something on the TV to buy us a few minutes to eat dinner or tidy up. The thing is, I feel as though the typical stuff that comes up for kids on YouTube like Cocomelon, Pinkfong, and Blippi is way too stimulating and fast-paced. I think it's the right of every kid to enjoy some garbage TV and food (I certainly had my share growing up), but as long as we have complete control of what our child watches it would be better to hide the weapons-grade stuff until he's old enough to ask/whine for it.

I guess what I'm picturing are just simple videos of stories or music without all the flashy animation, ideally from a channel with a large inventory of material so we don't have to spend a lot of time searching or doing quality control.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've banned my family from showing my daughter cocomelon baby crack videos. To date she's seen maybe 90 seconds of cocomelon

We got her an aquarium (with "fishies") so she grasps the concept of real fish, and put this stuff on. After you search for this stuff 2-3 times the algorithm just feeds it to you constantly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuEx-XH3Uc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2UyOTS3UCE

Whenever she comes in the room now she's all "fishie video! I want fishie! Fishie fishie"

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
We used to like some of the animal videos from Free School. Very relaxing voices, mostly just cute animal footage with soft music running over it. It looks like it’s a huge channel and I’ve only watched maybe 5-10 of the videos so I don’t know about the other content, but it’s worth checking out.

https://m.youtube.com/c/FreeSchool

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My wife and I would occasionally watch Odd Tinkering videos on YouTube while she was pregnant, and she had the idea that they’d be a good thing to show our kid if we needed a distraction.

https://youtu.be/DwOolA5NE-U

Our kid (14 months) still won’t watch TV, too much of a busybody, but I like the idea. Basically something soothing, focused, and intentional, with emphasis on the use of fine motor skills. No idea if it’ll eventually translate.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Our daughter has been sleepwalking almost every night for the past few weeks - right around 11PM and then on rare occasion again at 3AM. Not totally sure what's triggering it. She seems happy, and when we talk to her about life, she doesn't mention anything that is upsetting her. It could be bathroom related because half of the time, she ends up going to the bathroom. We're trying calming exercises before bed + calm play and limiting water after dinner. Hopefully it's just a phase and not indicative of something more serious.

Our oldest had a few months of sleepwalking, and it was pee related. The only concerning thing about it was if she tried to pee somewhere other than the toilet. One time she opened the fridge, and pulled down her pants and stood there with a confused look; thankfully we got to her before she was able to do it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Different daycares do different things. Apparently in Colorado it's law that they have to give the kids some amount of quiet lie-down time (30 minutes?) And if the kids fall asleep, some teachers are ok waking them up and some are not. It's literally the first thing we ask "please don't let him sleep" and sometimes "no problem!" And sometimes it's a problem. Currently he naps like, once a week at daycare.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

funny song about politics posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for less stimulating YouTube content for babies and toddlers?

Our kid just turned seven months and is able to attend to things much better than earlier. Like clockwork, we've resorted to putting something on the TV to buy us a few minutes to eat dinner or tidy up. The thing is, I feel as though the typical stuff that comes up for kids on YouTube like Cocomelon, Pinkfong, and Blippi is way too stimulating and fast-paced. I think it's the right of every kid to enjoy some garbage TV and food (I certainly had my share growing up), but as long as we have complete control of what our child watches it would be better to hide the weapons-grade stuff until he's old enough to ask/whine for it.

I guess what I'm picturing are just simple videos of stories or music without all the flashy animation, ideally from a channel with a large inventory of material so we don't have to spend a lot of time searching or doing quality control.

I mean, our kid is nearly two and has seen less than an hour of video in his entire life, so take this all with a grain of salt. But there are a ton of videos which are just some person with a GoPro going on a quiet walk through nature, and those might be what you're looking for?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah "Japan walking in the rain" yields an incredible number/variety of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpYwFBfiEo

These along with the fish videos, my child has almost zero interest in the TV it's fantastic

The $12/mo for YouTube premium is totally worth it because you can queue up like sixty of these videos and just virtually walk across Japan in a week, no loud/disruptive/annoying commercials

Between YouTube premium and Hulu ad free, and Spotify, I don't think we really see or hear any advertisements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kids both loved Super Simple Songs
My toddler has now graduated to watching videos of steam trains.