Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe I missed it but does Marvel's Avengers really not have a scene where Kamala actually chooses her hero name? I just finished the story mode the other day and I realized that I don't think it ever actually calls her Ms Marvel outside of menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

Maybe I missed it but does Marvel's Avengers really not have a scene where Kamala actually chooses her hero name? I just finished the story mode the other day and I realized that I don't think it ever actually calls her Ms Marvel outside of menus.

I thought that popular girl she saved called her that.

It's a weird name for the character in the MCU because there's no legacy aspect with Carol Danvers old name.

Edit, forgot what thread I'm in and thought you meant the TV show.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I thought that popular girl she saved called her that.

It's a weird name for the character in the MCU because there's no legacy aspect with Carol Danvers old name.

Edit, forgot what thread I'm in and thought you meant the TV show.

:goonsay: Her father gives her the idea for her superhero name near the end of the last episode. He says that her name means "marvel" and her family always thought of her as Ms. Marvel.

But yeah. They never give Ms. Marvel a codename in Avengers I don't believe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThermoPhysical posted:

:goonsay: Her father gives her the idea for her superhero name near the end of the last episode. He says that her name means "marvel" and her family always thought of her as Ms. Marvel.

That's funny because her name doesn't mean anything in Urdu, her creator fully admits that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

That's funny because her name doesn't mean anything in Urdu, her creator fully admits that.

At least it's an actual name unlike poor Karma of the New Mutants' whose name is basically Vietnamese gibberish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

"Kamala" doesn't mean anything, but Kama(a)l does actually mean perfect in Arabic, or marvel in Urdu.

That's the comic canon reason for her name too. Her parents changed it a little to make a nicer sounding name, but they were naming her Marvel.

It works a lot better in the show because then it's not just coincidence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will say, there's so many Americans with gibberish names now, that it's not that big of a deal. Like, maybe her parents were just the Vietnamese equivalent of this woman.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It would be weird if they were because Kamala is not Vietnamese

Like that's not even the same part of the world

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It would be weird if they were because Kamala is not Vietnamese

Like that's not even the same part of the world

I was referring to Xi'an from the New Mutants.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like America Chavez hailing from a world where fully luxuriated les-biocommunism means her parents naming her America is totally divorced from the implications it would have here.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

FilthyImp posted:

I like America Chavez hailing from a world where fully luxuriated les-biocommunism means her parents naming her America is totally divorced from the implications it would have here.

Yeah, shame they got rid of all the fun backstory

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The article above says who the other characters are, did nobody read it? It's Gabe Jones and an unnamed Dora Milaje warrior.

chuds are gonna poo poo themselves, four characters and only one is white lololol

day 1 purchase no matter the quality

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Soonmot posted:

chuds are gonna poo poo themselves, four characters and only one is white lololol

day 1 purchase no matter the quality

Imagine if Cap wears a combat helmet and mask for the entire game and they never mention Steve at all and then at a pivotal moment near the end he takes it off and it's Isaiah Bradley underneath.

Just make some whiners poo poo their breeches even more AND have a cool character who probably wouldn't ever star in a game otherwise.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

thebardyspoon posted:

Imagine if Cap wears a combat helmet and mask for the entire game and they never mention Steve at all and then at a pivotal moment near the end he takes it off and it's Isaiah Bradley underneath.

Just make some whiners poo poo their breeches even more AND have a cool character who probably wouldn't ever star in a game otherwise.

YESSS!

I will say that I need more info on this game. All we have so far are characters and setting. What even kind of gameplay are we talking here? (I know no one knows yet)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

FilthyImp posted:

I have students from South America named America. As long as the continents are there it's going to be a name. Actually seeing it more and more with my immigrant students.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

America is a pretty cool name. Too bad the US is ruining it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guess who's getting a new game? From EA Motive.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Lobok posted:

Guess who's getting a new game? From EA Motive.

Is it Sleepwalker?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RevKrule posted:

Is it Sleepwalker?

Yes, the first game that can actually be played when your console's in rest mode.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been waiting literal decades for a Darkhawk game so I'm super hype.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Yes, the first game that can actually be played when your console's in rest mode.

Finally! I've been waiting for a console idle game!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In case anyone is wondering, Motive did Star Wars Squadrons (which was dope) and are doing the Dead Space remake.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Why hasn't someone made a DMC/Bayonetta-style game with Blade last gen/this gen? I just want to cut vampires and gently caress up some ice skaters, man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Edit: wrong thread

Those ea marvel games are going to suck.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 22, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sentinel Red posted:

Why hasn't someone made a DMC/Bayonetta-style game with Blade last gen/this gen? I just want to cut vampires and gently caress up some ice skaters, man.

The short, disappointing version is that Blade hasn't been a marketable IP since the first or second Snipes movie 20+ years ago. Now add the fact that costs millions of dollars to bring a AAA game to the market, and the fact that Blade as an IP is nowhere near as profitable as Spider-man, the X-men (Wolverine specifically) or any of the individual Avengers, it kind of makes sense.

The fact that Black Panther is one of the most successful movies out of the entire Marvel movie machine, and we never got any kind of Black Panther game is almost astounding.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In general Marvel hasn't really cared about keeping the games in step with the MCU for years now. Still plenty of time and opportunity for a BP game. We're kind of getting one with this new team-up game T'Chaka is in with Cap.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For the majority of the MCU's existence though, big budget licensed games have been the exception rather than the norm. As opposed to the 360 era and before where every movie got a tie in game on the big consoles of the time, for most of the 2010s you got mobile games instead so it didn't surprise me they didn't make a triple A game based on Black Panther, the Infinity Wars stuff or whatever. Obviously the Arkham games and Spiderman being the big exceptions (I'm probably forgetting one or two as well to be fair) for that era and probably the latter is what's helped convince some studios to chuck some money around a bit.

Now with this Iron Man game, the Cap/Black Panther game and such, it seems like that's turning a bit but it takes time for the big companies to make that sort of pivot, pitch stuff and then make something to the point where they can announce it, covid probably didn't help either but we're probably seeing that wave of stuff that's been worked on for the last few years start to crest now. Wouldn't surprise me if we see a few more announcements of some other big ones as well.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really enjoyed the Captain America game they made around when the movie came out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Wolverine Origins shocked me by being a surprisingly enjoyable game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arkham is what made them stop and re-evaluate their games licencing. Spider-Man games coming out during the Arkham era weren't necessarily all bad or unfun but to put them up against their Batman contemporaries there was an obvious gulf in quality and reception.

Marvel didn't want its characters to be given any less than the Arkham treatment anymore. Insomniac's Spider-Man game is called "Marvel's Spider-Man" not just for branding but as a stamp of quality assurance and a sign of its commitment. Timely (ha) connections to the movies are gone in favour of making sure the games have time and care to be top tier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

Timely (ha) connections to the movies are gone in favour of making sure the games have time and care to be top tier.
Now explain Marvel's Avengers (mediocre at best) or Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (a very good B-tier game)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney pulls all their licenses and folds studios on a whim every 4-5 years. They're horrible to work with.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably all boils down to "Feige isn't a gamer"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Now explain Marvel's Avengers (mediocre at best) or Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (a very good B-tier game)

Guardians was great to me so we'll just disagree there. Avengers was a misstep but the studio had a good track record. I don't think people from Marvel were literally playing the game along the way checking how awesome it was. It's the same with all the upcoming games: on paper these things have excellent potential. Midnight Sons by tactical game veterans, Amy Hennig behind Cap + Panther, their darling Insomniac given the keys to Wolverine. Haven't played any of Motive's games but I'm guessing since Iron Man will be single-player their multi-player Star Wars games weren't as big of a deal in getting to make the game? That one is a question mark so far.

We're a far cry away from Beenox Spider-Man games being released every year is what I'm trying to say.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm genuinely annoyed we aren't getting a Guardians sequel game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I'm genuinely annoyed we aren't getting a Guardians sequel game.

I wonder if Avengers didn't hurt it. Shame. It was honestly my GOTY.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if Avengers didn't hurt it. Shame. It was honestly my GOTY.

It definitely hurt sales for it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Avengers 100% had a negative impact on Guardians, considering when it was announced, the wide reaction was "another loving one of these?" and people wrote it off immediately.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have to think Guardian's marketing was part of the problem, because despite the obvious connections it wasn't very much like Avengers at all. It wasn't multiplayer, you only played as Quill, the loot was inconsequential, it wasn't built out to be a microtransaction trap, and it wasn't weirdly ugly looking.

It was "Uncharted, with better writing, in space" as opposed to "Destiny, with worse gameplay and graphics" but you wouldn't know it from the way it was promoted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

I have to think Guardian's marketing was part of the problem, because despite the obvious connections it wasn't very much like Avengers at all. It wasn't multiplayer, you only played as Quill, the loot was inconsequential, it wasn't built out to be a microtransaction trap, and it wasn't weirdly ugly looking.

It was "Uncharted, with better writing, in space" as opposed to "Destiny, with worse gameplay and graphics" but you wouldn't know it from the way it was promoted

Genuinely had more emotional reaction to that weird group of losers in space than either The Last of Us.