Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I said come in! posted:

You missed the part with all of those shuttles and ships being destroyed. The entire rebel fleet was wiped out under her command with only a handful of people left.

If only those shuttles hadn't been spotted. By the First Order. Who were alerted to their presence by DJ. Who was there because of a secret plan set in motion by Poe. Who, in doing so, was directly disobeying orders from Holdo.

Those shuttles wouldn't have been destroyed if Poe had been put in the brig by Holdo once she took command. But he was only demoted for being an rear end in a top hat, so that would have been an overreaction, to be fair. She didn't know he was going to directly defy command to such a degree he would get most of their fleet (and her) killed.

AccountSupervisor posted:

So help me god if this thread gets mired in TLJ discourse I'll kick the Zack Snyder hornets nest and then we can really run this thread into the ground with discourse about fandom and adaptation.

Sorry, I'll stop.

edit: And as a page snipe? Shameful.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

If only those shuttles hadn't been spotted. By the First Order. Who were alerted to their presence by DJ. Who was there because of a secret plan set in motion by Poe. Who, in doing so, was directly disobeying orders from Holdo.

Those shuttles wouldn't been destroyed if Poe had been put in the brig by Holdo once she took command. But he was only demoted for being an rear end in a top hat, so that would have been an overreaction, to be fair. She didn't know he was going to directly defy command to such a degree he would get most of their fleet (and her) killed.

Sorry, I'll stop.

edit: And as a page snipe? Shameful.

Clearly Poe is Sauron.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zoux posted:

Somehow, Sauron returned.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
I am gay

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moltke posted:

I am gay

same though

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Moltke posted:

I am gay

But nobody in the show is, which is a valid criticism of RoP

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

stev posted:

You could edit the Hobbit trilogy down to a decent 4-5 hour movie. Nothing great but not bad.

Theres actually a few really great fan edits that do just this! The Tolkien Edit and The Maple Films Edit are the ones Ive seen but I know theres a bunch of others. The Maple Edit is the one I prefer.

Its exactly how you describe it, its a huge improvement but doesnt move the adaptation quite into "great" territory. Id say it turns it into a decent to good fantasy adventure. It starts off good and as it approaches the Smaug/Five Armies content it starts to get a bit mixed and has a lot of ebbs and flows between the clearly good stuff(Smaug) and the pretty bad stuff(most of Five Armies).

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 22, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theres actually a few really great fan edits that do just this! The Tolkien Edit and The Maple Films Edit are the ones Ive seen but I know theres a bunch of others. The Maple Edit is the one I prefer.

Its exactly how you describe it, its a huge improvement but doesnt move the adaptation quite into "great" territory. Id say it turns it into a decent to good fantasy adventure. It starts off good and as it approaches the Smaug/Five Armies content it starts to get a bit mixed and has a lot of ebbs and flows between the clearly good stuff(Smaug) and the pretty bad stuff(most of Five Armies).
This is intriguing. I felt there were really strong elements in the Hobbit movies but by the end I felt they had been drowned in a sea of nauseating CG action scenes. What would you say is different about the Tolkien Edit and the Maple Films Edit? I'm not curious enough to rewatch the whole thing twice, but I'd be interested in hearing what each has going for it.

For context, my biggest issue the series is mainly just how drawn out all the action scenes were. I don't care if the adaptation is "accurate" or anything.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

zoux posted:

Somehow, Sauron returned.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Eiba posted:

This is intriguing. I felt there were really strong elements in the Hobbit movies but by the end I felt they had been drowned in a sea of nauseating CG action scenes. What would you say is different about the Tolkien Edit and the Maple Films Edit? I'm not curious enough to rewatch the whole thing twice, but I'd be interested in hearing what each has going for it.

For context, my biggest issue the series is mainly just how drawn out all the action scenes were. I don't care if the adaptation is "accurate" or anything.

The biggest improvement for me was that it made it feel way less like it was trying to mimic the big action fantasy epic vibes of LOTR and returned it to feeling much more like the smaller folksy fable The Hobbit always felt like to me.

They really hone in one of the best aspects of the movies which was the dwarves and Martin Freemans Bilbo. They remove basically everything that has nothing to do with the core plot. When there is not so much time wasted on extraneous subplots you get to enjoy that great dynamic so much more and it makes you feel like it is much more The Hobbit than The Hobbit: A LOTR Prequel.

Its also just so much less....annoying. The tone is much more consistent between the more lighthearted and serious stuff. It is amazing how much something as simple as removing that god awful comic relief side character Alfrid in the Smaug/Five Armies stuff makes your tolerance towards other things in the movie you might not like a bit easier.

The action is a lot more streamlined as a well but its still very much that over the top cartoonish action. Like I said above even if you still didnt like the action scenes you might be a lot more foregiving if there isnt a miriad of other things weighing you down.

The Tolkien Edit has a good description of what they did here. I couldnt find one for The Maple Edit but they are all generally like this with a lot of minor differences.

https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Show so bad people’s brains are resorting to time travel theories.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Robotnik Nudes posted:

This isn't the westworld thread

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I had to get a cavity filled today and have a half frozen face and it was still a better experience than this show

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Akshually, time travelling Galadriel would solve a lot of problems. They can just have this be her first runthrough.

Then if they just have one little scene of the dwarf women in a locker room shaving their beards, that clears up like 75% of the continuity errors.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Now I’m thinking about similarities in Poe Damaron and Galadriel as headstrong characters who are unwilling to approach anything diplomatically, feel entitled to authority listening to their demands, and how each were received by the fan base… it’s interesting, but do I want to nudge this hornets nest any more?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
*angry buzzing*

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jeff bozos

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I don't care who you are. I don't don't care if you love the show. I don't care if you hate the show. But, I am confident we can all hold hands, sing "Hey Dol! Merry Dol!" and agree this thread is worse than the show.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ubersandwich posted:

I don't care who you are. I don't don't care if you love the show. I don't care if you hate the show. But, I am confident we can all hold hands, sing "Hey Dol! Merry Dol!" and agree this thread is worse than the show.

Oh, for sure.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

No we should sing Tra la la la lalley, here down in the valley, fa la.

Or maybe Finrod Felagund's spell fight with Sauron would provide more insight.

covidstomper58 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 22, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jaxyon posted:

I felt a little femslash chemistry between Miriel and Galadrial.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

With all of the disguises the Hobbits put on to look like a bush, one of them could turn out to be whatever a flora furry is called. Or a moss furry.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Moltke posted:

I am gay

He was gay Sauron?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

what if Halbrand is Sauron and he and Galadriel get a cozy romance going on before he reveals himself??

I almost want it to be true just to see the reaction to it

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This was just posted in the book thread and its a fun romp through memory lane of how the movies were seen by the internet before release

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/strutc/a_look_back_on_how_fans_in_2001_criticized_pjs/

What's even more fun is that those links are to a forum where those same threads are still open and you can see people posting in them now, basically saying "yeah we sounded like idiots but we were actually right about everything".

Amazing stuff.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Gresh posted:

what if Halbrand is Sauron and he and Galadriel get a cozy romance going on before he reveals himself??

I almost want it to be true just to see the reaction to it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
so long gay sauron

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Been a dece amount of reports about weird-rear end posts up in this here Lord of the Rings thread, but since it took me so drat long to look at some of them I'm (mostly) going to let that weird slide for now.

But, please. Stop being so weird! Especially that one guy I actually did probe!! Come on, dude!!!

Moltke posted:

I am gay

hell, same

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The reason everyone argues over this show is because there's literally nothing else to talk about. That's it.

Like what are you excited for this next episode? Do you even know what it's about? I'm sure ppl were excited for the hobbits last episode. There's no structure to any of this nonsense. And trying to pin it all on ppl vs chuds is dumb.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

They spent 3 hours in Numenor going against Galadriel and telling her to gently caress off, including jail. And in all that the last 5 minutes it all changed because of random story blossoms and now the whole country is on her side lol

It's just a bizarre show, I saw my Wheel of Time get butchered, can be honest about it, and I'm not a loving chud.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I just assumed all elves are queer tbh. I mean forever is a long time to not get bored with the usual.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Jaxyon posted:

This isn't the westworld thread

I fell off after season 2, Jesus Christ did they really start time traveling.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I remember those days well.

“The bastard Peter Jackson” was almost his official title amongst this crowd, months before the first film hit theaters.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I just left all the fan forums for a while back then…

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Barreft posted:

The reason everyone argues over this show is because there's literally nothing else to talk about. That's it.

Like what are you excited for this next episode? Do you even know what it's about? I'm sure ppl were excited for the hobbits last episode. There's no structure to any of this nonsense. And trying to pin it all on ppl vs chuds is dumb.

I'm interested to see what's happening next in every storyline. Way more interested than I am with HotD

Nobody's pinning it all on chuds, but lol there certainly is a chud presense in online criticism. A really loving huge one.

Wheel of time spawned an entire white supremacist subreddit and that's not even half as popular as Tolkien.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
christopher tolkien never forgave peter jackson for making three incredible movies that required changes to the source material to make them watchable as movies

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

christopher tolkien never forgave peter jackson for making three incredible movies that required changes to the source material to make them watchable as movies

I had always thought Chris changed his mind once the money started rolling in.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I had always thought Chris changed his mind once the money started rolling in.

he did not

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I'm interested to see what's happening next in every storyline. Way more interested than I am with HotD

I'm the opposite so I'm curious what it is that you're finding they're doing better or more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
christopher tolkien disowned his son over the movies and only reconciled with him on his death bed lmao