Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: Everybody who has ever touched, seen, or thought about a car should be executed
finally someone speaking my language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Muir posted:

Man I can’t even run one mile in a row at that pace.

I think the fastest mile I ever ran in my life when I was on the track team as a teenager was like 7:20 lol. Good lord.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

confused posted:

Thanks for this link! I had never heard about this before. This guy's blog is well written and tells a captivating story.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm personally kind of fascinated by the whole story, since it's sort of the textbook worst case survival scenario where everything seems fine and good until you're way too late to salvage the situation. As somebody who spent all but 3-4 very early years of my life in bumfuck nowhere rural Illinois in the city or suburbs, the level of remoteness is captivating to me as well.

Speaking of Death Valley, I guess it's not really politics but I'll ask here: anybody have any recommendations on where I should go/what I should do if I wanted to take a 2-4 day trip out there next month? I'm 99% sure I'm moving out of California next year when my lease expires and going back to Illinois so that I can be closer to my rapidly aging and in need of assistance parents without having to stomach a four hour flight each way and would love to check off some remaining local stuff off before I depart. I've already done Yosemite and a drive along 1 between LA and San Jose. I've never been out to Death Valley though, and if nothing else I'd love to see Badwater Basin and do some stargazing if feasible. I'm not adverse to camping for a day or two but I'm also not a super fit outdoors type and anything too extreme for your median urban early 30's adult is probably too much for me.

If the answer to these parameters is "forget DV and go on some wine tours in Napa you pasty loser" then fine w/e I guess, I just figured it would be nice as a last unique destination to hit here before I vacate the state, potentially for good.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Sydin posted:

Honestly if you read the Death Valley German stuff it's clear they weren't really "stupid" so much as hosed over by a couple seemingly innocuous mistakes + the fact that humans are really bad at recognizing they're in a survival situation until it's way too late to do anything about it.

I've plugged it in other threads but if you're interested there's a really informative series of blog posts put together by the hiker who essentially single-handedly revived and solved the cold case on what happened to them. Since the tourists were long dead by the time their remains were found and they weren't exactly leaving behind journal entries about what happened there is a bit of editorializing throughout, but nothing is particularly outlandish.

Just binged this late on a work night, it’s a good read. Thanks for posting!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Sydin posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm personally kind of fascinated by the whole story, since it's sort of the textbook worst case survival scenario where everything seems fine and good until you're way too late to salvage the situation. As somebody who spent all but 3-4 very early years of my life in bumfuck nowhere rural Illinois in the city or suburbs, the level of remoteness is captivating to me as well.

Speaking of Death Valley, I guess it's not really politics but I'll ask here: anybody have any recommendations on where I should go/what I should do if I wanted to take a 2-4 day trip out there next month? I'm 99% sure I'm moving out of California next year when my lease expires and going back to Illinois so that I can be closer to my rapidly aging and in need of assistance parents without having to stomach a four hour flight each way and would love to check off some remaining local stuff off before I depart. I've already done Yosemite and a drive along 1 between LA and San Jose. I've never been out to Death Valley though, and if nothing else I'd love to see Badwater Basin and do some stargazing if feasible. I'm not adverse to camping for a day or two but I'm also not a super fit outdoors type and anything too extreme for your median urban early 30's adult is probably too much for me.

If the answer to these parameters is "forget DV and go on some wine tours in Napa you pasty loser" then fine w/e I guess, I just figured it would be nice as a last unique destination to hit here before I vacate the state, potentially for good.

The hotel near Furnace Creek is decent and close to many popular sites. Ballarat is cool. Camp out for a few days and then get cleaned up at Delight’s Hot Springs before leaving the area.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you should definitely go to death valley although I've never been. on your trip out east, assuming you're doing a road trip to move all your poo poo with you, the valley of fire near Lake Mead, NV and Bryce Canyon in Utah are extremely cool as well

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Sydin posted:

Coming from the Bay area I'd assume its one day driving, two days in the park, and the fourth driving home. I'd say enough time to see most of the easy car-accessable stuff, but I'm not 100% sure what the situation is wrt park roads after the flooding this summer.

If you do drive from the Bay area, make sure your brakes are in good/great condition because the descent down the 190 is constant and you'll tap the brakes often.

Actually, I'd probably recommend something else if you want to go on a trip next month since a lot of the roads are still closed, including the 190 and the road to Badwater Basin.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 20, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You can camp in Carlsbad and just watch the stars. Or keep going south and spend some time in TJ/Baja.

Make sure you hit the staycation destinations (Santa Barbara/Solvang, Big Bear, Idyllwild).

There's apparently a Glamping setup in Escondido if you want to feel fancy.

And if you're crazy there's an oceanside resort up in Smith River so you can say you've been to the top and bottom of CA.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FilthyImp posted:

I have never had the thought "I'd like to be fancy" and then followed up with "Let's go to Escondido."

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kenning posted:

I have never had the thought "I'd like to be fancy" and then followed up with "Let's go to Escondido."

You are not alone, that was my first thought too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Aardvark posted:

Coming from the Bay area I'd assume its one day driving, two days in the park, and the fourth driving home. I'd say enough time to see most of the easy car-accessable stuff, but I'm not 100% sure what the situation is wrt park roads after the flooding this summer.

If you do drive from the Bay area, make sure your brakes are in good/great condition because the descent down the 190 is constant and you'll tap the brakes often.

Actually, I'd probably recommend something else if you want to go on a trip next month since a lot of the roads are still closed, including the 190 and the road to Badwater Basin.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Ah, good old fire season. :tif: Yeah probably a good idea to save any California sight seeing until Jan/Feb next year.

FilthyImp posted:

You can camp in Carlsbad and just watch the stars. Or keep going south and spend some time in TJ/Baja.

Make sure you hit the staycation destinations (Santa Barbara/Solvang, Big Bear, Idyllwild).

And if you're crazy there's an oceanside resort up in Smith River so you can say you've been to the top and bottom of CA.

I spent a decade living in SoCal so I've done Santa Barbara beach, Big Bear, and Carlsbad. Also as somebody who more tolerates camping than enjoys it, I have now learned what "glamping" is and absolutely detest it with every fiber of my being. :v:

Going up north could be nice though, I've actually never been up to the Jefferson part of the state. Maybe could do the other half of 1 I've never driven and then continue on up to Crescent City.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kenning posted:

the idea of "escondido fancy" is neatly summarized by the stone brewery restaurant

it's a nice restaurant, though, and the gardens are pretty chill

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My brother's in Escondido, I actually kinda like it out there (besides the unspeakably endless freeways in outer San Diego county). The best tacos I've ever had were at TJ Tacos in Esco, and the Alesmith taproom is pretty fun. But I would never have picked it for camping, much less for glamping.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I used to have friends in San Marcos and they wonder why I don't make the drive down from south Orange County more often and my excuse is that the traffic in north SD county is almost always unspeakably bad, particularly on the weekends.

They moved back to Montreal because the friend's wife doesn't like Mexican food.

Yes, I am aware that this generates a lot of questions but I don't have any answers either.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: Everybody who has ever touched, seen, or thought about a car should be executed

It's the only way to be sure

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sb hermit posted:

I used to have friends in San Marcos and they wonder why I don't make the drive down from south Orange County more often and my excuse is that the traffic in north SD county is almost always unspeakably bad, particularly on the weekends.

They moved back to Montreal because the friend's wife doesn't like Mexican food.

Yes, I am aware that this generates a lot of questions but I don't have any answers either.

lol

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

Which specific glamping in Escondido? Asking for a er friend

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I know there's glamping stuff at Warner Springs and Julian/Lake Cuyamaca and one in Valley Center. Maybe Esco got some recently.

Kenning posted:

My brother's in Escondido, I actually kinda like it out there (besides the unspeakably endless freeways in outer San Diego county).

That is every major city on the coast in this state lol

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 21, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

San Marcos died to me when the Fry's closed

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It's a Costco Business Center now

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well, at least it's not a furniture store

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

what the hell is a costco business center

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Smythe posted:

Its costco on steroids

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cross-Section posted:

San Marcos died to me when the Fry's closed

:same: but fountain valley

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Smythe posted:

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ardent-mills-harvest-bread-flour%2C-50-lbs.product.11849896.html

you can pick up stuff that tends to be strictly for businesses

like this 50 lb container of bread flour

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sb hermit posted:

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ardent-mills-harvest-bread-flour%2C-50-lbs.product.11849896.html

you can pick up stuff that tends to be strictly for businesses

like this 50 lb container of bread flour

useful for this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961591

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe Palomar Mountain has glamping Hipcamp setups or something. That’s the only camping I can think of close to Escondido.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The recent storm failed to extinguish the Mosquito fire.

Smokeshow ain't over, folks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

the fire-front is like half the divide so I'm not shocked by that. it'll help though

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

It’s not going anywhere fast after the inch and a half of rain that got dumped on it. Yes, there’ll be some more smoke in the immediate vicinity, but as long as temps stay moderate and the wind is low I’d expect near full containment in the next three weeks, at which point it’ll only be smoldering.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
"George Gascón, the county’s district attorney, decided he wanted nothing to do with the unit after sheriff’s officials proposed the two agencies create a task force to collaborate on public corruption investigations.

“He’s only targeting political enemies,” Gascón told The Times about Villanueva. “It was obvious that was not the kind of work I wanted to engage in, so we declined.”

Shortly after Gascón refused to partner with the Sheriff’s Department, Villanueva came out as a strong supporter of a recall campaign to kick the district attorney out of office."

"The commission subpoenaed Villanueva to appear before them Thursday to answer questions about the team. The sheriff has indicated that he will not show up, saying he is too busy."

Yeah, too busy investigating political enemies.
Glad to see something is being done about it, though he will likely just call Bonta corrupt.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1572604570286817281

OgNar fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 22, 2022

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

The Aardvark posted:

Howdy neighbor

:twisted:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

If anyone was waiting for the Winix HEPA Air Purifier + Filter to go on sale for $100 at Costco for next fire season:
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

If anyone was waiting for the Winix HEPA Air Purifier + Filter to go on sale for $100 at Costco for next fire season:
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html

I bought this last time 'round and it's been great for my bedroom. I have a weirdass kitchen/living room area with extremely tall vaulted ceilings, am I just out of luck finding an air purifier/filter that could handle it? I was looking at Winix's bigger filter/purifiers but I don't really know how to incorporate "the ceiling at its highest point is two stories high" into my square footage calculations

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hawkperson posted:

I bought this last time 'round and it's been great for my bedroom. I have a weirdass kitchen/living room area with extremely tall vaulted ceilings, am I just out of luck finding an air purifier/filter that could handle it? I was looking at Winix's bigger filter/purifiers but I don't really know how to incorporate "the ceiling at its highest point is two stories high" into my square footage calculations

Maybe put it next to a Vornado or other powerful air circulator to move the air through the room more fully?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah that's what you gotta do, set the air filter on the highest setting and then set a powerful fan near it to circulate the air. Also make sure the fan itself is clean and dusted or you're just getting a bunch of poo poo right back into the air you're trying to purify.

FWIW I have this air purifier: https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Allergies-Eliminators-Vital-100/dp/B07X25BNBR

Vornado is the nicest option of course, but alternatively pretty much any Home Depot near you should have some Lasko box fans in stock which are half the price of a Vornado and also push a shitload of air.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Apparently those in LA Department of Water & Power's district can get a Flume 2 Smart Water Monitoring system for ~$24 (plus shipping and tax) after discount
https://flumewater.com/partners/ladwp/

Thread: https://slickdeals.net/f/16072621-ladwp-customers-flume-2-water-detection-for-24-ar-shipping

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sydin posted:

Yeah, it's go for North Bay time. I would do a Sonoma County run. Pick spots starting from Bodega Bay on the coast, through Fort Ross and Salt Point, then look inland and NW for primo camping spots in N Sonoma and Mendocino Counties. From Petaluma on north, the whole region is just dotted with good restaurants.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anderson Valley is even better for wine tasting - everything's along 128 and 5-10 min apart so super easy to get around, beautiful area, decent food options afaik, and most of the wineries you'll visit are tiny and super mellow compared to corporate, tourist-driven Napa poo poo or even some Sonoma places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sooooooo why is Lyft dumping like 15 million dollars into Prop 30.