Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The worst era is when they released your favourite album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I love Plastic Beach but it does seem like it really did Damon in for a while.
Dude was so jaded he rebounded a Blur album out of it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah the worst era is possibly when they’re on tour for Plastic Beach, cuz the music videos stopped being funded and it almost seemed like that was gonna be it for the band. Jamie and Damon were also in disagreement about things and it general just seemed like the end. We got The Fall at the end of the tour, which was infamously dubbed as the “iPad album” and then nothing for years. Well we did get that converse track with Andre 3000 and James Murphy which was a small glimmer of hope. But yeah I would agree that was probably the worst era to be a fan. Just felt hopeless

If Andre hadn't reminded me that he was the poo poo for 10 minutes I might have given up on this band.:unsmith:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Just got back from the SF show. Really, really glad I finally got to see them live.

I'm incredibly surprised they brought out Fatoumata Diawara to do Desole? And... that's all she did? I mean, it was awesome, but still!
Have their shows always focused on Demon Days and Plastic Beach? It seemed like most of the songs were from those two, with a smattering of the self-titled debut and the newest stuff. (Including a new banger what was inspired by seeing an Amazon delivery bot in LA? I didn't catch the title Skinny Ape, according to the setlist.) They did play the best song off the Now Now (Tranz) but that was it for that album, and only Andromeda from Humanz.

Oh and they brought out Del the Funky Homosapien for Rock the House and Clint Eastwood. So that was incredible.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 22, 2022

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Solumin posted:

Just got back from the SF show. Really, really glad I finally got to see them live.

I'm incredibly surprised they brought out Fatoumata Diawara to do Desole? And... that's all she did? I mean, it was awesome, but still!
Have their shows always focused on Demon Days and Plastic Beach? It seemed like most of the songs were from those two, with a smattering of the self-titled debut and the newest stuff. (Including a new banger what was inspired by seeing an Amazon delivery bot in LA? I didn't catch the title Skinny Ape, according to the setlist.) They did play the best song off the Now Now (Tranz) but that was it for that album, and only Andromeda from Humanz.

Oh and they brought out Del the Funky Homosapien for Rock the House and Clint Eastwood. So that was incredible.

will say the setlist for this show looks like it was loving incredible and maybe a perfect concert

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gorillaz/2022/chase-center-san-francisco-ca-bb075ee.html

looks like they did a new song with beck and pac-man with schoolboy q live last night too, drat. i loved seein them on the humanz tour (even not liking that album much, i loved it live)

my gorillaz live white whale will probably always be sweepstakes. i fuckin love that song but they've only played it at a couple festival shows this year... since they only do it when mos def is around :v:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbSnQ5pfZAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ak_k38lUgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrdFkO9rsU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

abraham linksys posted:

will say the setlist for this show looks like it was loving incredible and maybe a perfect concert

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gorillaz/2022/chase-center-san-francisco-ca-bb075ee.html

looks like they did a new song with beck and pac-man with schoolboy q live last night too, drat. i loved seein them on the humanz tour (even not liking that album much, i loved it live)

my gorillaz live white whale will probably always be sweepstakes. i fuckin love that song but they've only played it at a couple festival shows this year... since they only do it when mos def is around :v:
It was the song I wanted to see live most besides New Genious (which I'll finally get next week!) and they finally played it at my show in 2018.... without Mos.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Edit

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Did not expect Sweetie Irie to come out at the end there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dallas show was great, I think glitter freeze was my favorite

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Was also at the Dallas show. I love that they played white light and new genius (brother)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Any other goons at the Chicago show? In line waiting for sound check and had to vent my excitement.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Any other goons at the Chicago show? In line waiting for sound check and had to vent my excitement.

Was there. Had a blast!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Just got out of the Philly soundcheck. Never thought I'd get to hear Hong Kong live

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress that show was amazing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

Just got out of the Philly soundcheck. Never thought I'd get to hear Hong Kong live

They did hong Kong as the closer for the show tonight. It was so good. Damon had the crowd in the palm of his hands all night

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'll be seeing them in like 5 or 6 hours!!!!!

I hope Fatoumata Diawara is back tonight. She's been on most of the last few shows, but suddenly was gone from Friday night's show. My wife would be heartbroken if they didn't do Desolé.

Edit: No Desolé, but we got Humility, which I didn't expect.

Great show!

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 24, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJAQTAee4mw

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPnmEeXnRY

Every track has been loving fire so far.
This is going to be the best one since Demon Days, no doubt

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Agreed. Song-wise this album is flawless so far, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the songs are ordered in the finished product. The flow of an album as a whole, as opposed to just being a collection of songs, is a mostly lost art, and it's one of the things that takes Demon Days really over the top.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

New track, best one yet imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S0kwi9JDxs

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
How is this album so good and releasing nearly two decades after Demon Days.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jables88 posted:

How is this album so good and releasing nearly two decades after Demon Days.

dude just never seems to stop working
like this one apparently was "I saw a delivery drone and I wrote this" and just... what a leap

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wasn't a huge fan of the last couple tracks but Silent Running's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyr6lRGssg

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Knew it would be one of my favourite Gorillaz songs ever when I heard the live bootleg last year. The studio version is fantastic, although I'm sad it's missing the call and response at the end where both Damon and Adeleye are singing back and forth in the live version

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is the one I’d been waiting for as well, and it’s as good as expected

the fan-mixed studio versions were impressive but didn’t bring the synths to the forefront like the official does

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 27, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Gosh they haven't missed yet. Unless the increasingly small amount of yet-unreleased tracks end up being total stinkers, this is looking like a great album.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm cautiously optimistic after Humanz was a spaghetti plate of an album with some bangerz and largely unfocused stuff, Now Now was pretty weak, and Song Machine just felt kind of taped together. I really like Skinny Ape's breakdown in the middle, Silent Running sounds really nice, and New Gold is just really loving groovy. The album actually feels like it has a concise sound which I couldn't really say about Song Machine or most parts from Humanz.

I haven't thought they were at a peak level since Plastic Beach so I'm hoping the last 6 tracks (including the bonus track off the album which is De La Soul---why the gently caress is this not a regular track) measure up.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think Humanz is both their best album and also easily their most focused since Demon Days. The Now Now I'm a little cooler on but it's still a quite good and intentionally assembled record. This new one kinda feels like a best of both worlds situation: incredibly cohesive and also tight and concise, but while I've enjoyed every song so far I'm a bit sad that it doesn't seem like we're gonna get many big swings for the band and theyre kind of sticking in the lane of 80s-tinted pop for this one

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Cracker island (the song) is cool but I just can’t help feeling like a lot of the songs to come from the second round of albums this band has made are undercooked. Hard to put your finger on what the exact issue is. Repetitive lyrics and kind of…lack of progression in a lot of the songs. I don’t know.

Also for a band that previously had such a focus on the art it’s insane to me that they signed off on the album cover that they did

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

hughesta posted:

I think Humanz is both their best album and also easily their most focused since Demon Days.

I find this interesting because Humanz is by far my least favorite of the studio albums, and might be the only one that I'm tempted to say I overall don't like. I guess the musical output of Gorillaz is so varied that it's a big gamble on taste what each listener will enjoy.

Anyway, here's this:

https://youtu.be/_0Pf48RqSsg

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For me Humanz is a perfect album up until Interlude: Talk Radio.

Then there's a run of disappointing tracks.

- Carnival is a let down simply because it's truncated (seriously, listen to the full version with more 2D lyrics, it's far better and should have been on the album)

- Let Me Out has a good hook but at this point that honking sound effect Albarn overuses becomes grating. Wish he had just let the political lyrics stand.

- Sex Murder Party is still my least favourite, I'm very slowly coming around on it but I'm still only like a 6 on it, I started out as a 2. It's such a weird song, weird vibe. Hate the lyrics.

Thankfully She's My Collar and Hallelujah Money salvage the end of the album. Collar in particular is an album highlight. And the bonus disc is brilliant.

It's no Plastic Beach but I still really do like Humanz.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

For me Humanz is a perfect album up until Interlude: Talk Radio.

Then there's a run of disappointing tracks.

- Carnival is a let down simply because it's truncated (seriously, listen to the full version with more 2D lyrics, it's far better and should have been on the album)

- Let Me Out has a good hook but at this point that honking sound effect Albarn overuses becomes grating. Wish he had just let the political lyrics stand.

- Sex Murder Party is still my least favourite, I'm very slowly coming around on it but I'm still only like a 6 on it, I started out as a 2. It's such a weird song, weird vibe. Hate the lyrics.

Thankfully She's My Collar and Hallelujah Money salvage the end of the album. Collar in particular is an album highlight. And the bonus disc is brilliant.

It's no Plastic Beach but I still really do like Humanz.

i agree with you about all these songs (except sex murder party which rules) but its still my favorite album because the rest of the tracks are so insane

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

sex murder party is awesome and I do love Carnival despite definitely being too short (it's like the Punk of the album imo) but yeah LMO is the weakest link

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Sex Murder Party is the absolute worst lol Probably the worst song they've ever put out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Sex Murder Party is the absolute worst lol Probably the worst song they've ever put out.

wrong the worst song they ever put out is glitter freeze

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

glitter freeze and white flag both suck. cool ideas on both songs but man they did not come out good

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I love both of those songs, actually.

A land of contrasts.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hughesta posted:

glitter freeze and white flag both suck. cool ideas on both songs but man they did not come out good

white flag is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like Glitter Freeze.