Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I feel like I need the AQI widget more than feels like but thanks for recommending Carrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xabi posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the new Home app is a confusing mess?

Yeah, it's a straight downgrade. Like, the control to shut off all lights doesn't even look like a button anymore. It's just a text label but if you tap it, it does the thing.

The watch app is worse too, the favorites category is gone so toggling lights I use the most requires more menu diving.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holding an accessory down and getting a menu instead of the controls is some baffling-rear end UI.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Inner Light posted:

See I caught it! gently caress you Tim!!!

(shot on an iPhone 13 Pro, I still can't bring myself to upgrade to 14 Pro when the benefits are soooooo marginal, even though on the Upgrade Program it's almost hurting myself not to upgrade)

e: It appears I fixed it by rebooting the phone, not happening anymore :)

e2: nevermind still happening :(

I feel like it didn’t do this during the beta but I could be wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

(shot on an iPhone 13 Pro, I still can't bring myself to upgrade to 14 Pro when the benefits are soooooo marginal, even though on the Upgrade Program it's almost hurting myself not to upgrade)

This is easily fixed.

Just live where there are never any clouds lmao

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but you're going to notice when there's a delay before it switches to Fire.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone checked if the color of the sky changes when AQI gets bad?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

withak posted:

Northern CA goon near the mosquito fire checking in. It does not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
loving Apple can't get anything right.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Stebe would never

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Inner Light posted:

It does a thing like this for the 3D Portrait effect thing too. The background starts out black for a split second and fades in, while the cutout subject is visible immediately. It’s weirdly annoying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m gonna keep using Dark Sky until Tim pries it from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m gonna keep using Dark Sky until Tim pries it from my cold dead hands :colbert:

the best feature of dark sky is that it was completely abandoned after apple bought it, so it just continues working well and you never have to deal with the arbitrary redesigns that make every app worse and less functional as time goes on

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Holding an accessory down and getting a menu instead of the controls is some baffling-rear end UI.

tap the (tiny) icon to toggle the device on and off, tap anywhere else in the rectangle to get to the controls. it isn't great

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

withak posted:

It doesn't.

Also the air quality data is pretty suspect. Earlier this week the AQI widget was showing ~60 while Airnow.gov was reading in the 140s from several local monitoring stations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Thanks to whoever mentioned the MagSafe popsockets, just got one and it works perfectly with the 14pro.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shifty Pony posted:

It doesn't.

Also the air quality data is pretty suspect. Earlier this week the AQI widget was showing ~60 while Airnow.gov was reading in the 140s from several local monitoring stations.

Yeah I saw ~40 when visibility was basically soup. Different apps though all being dead wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the new Home app is a confusing mess?

No I’m not a fan. I’m going to sit down and see if I can re organize , but needing to do that alone means not an improvement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

the best feature of dark sky is that it was completely abandoned after apple bought it, so it just continues working well and you never have to deal with the arbitrary redesigns that make every app worse and less functional as time goes on

It's gonna not continue working fairly soon because the api it uses is getting shut off early next year. They want people to migrate to their replacement, weatherkit. It's pretty close to the data dark sky made available, but not identical.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, seems kinda weird to just abandon it when i'm guessing they could update it to the new weather backend pretty easily after gobbling up the original developers, but i guess there's no business case to put even a few developer hours on it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d like a calendar widget that shows my next appointment even if it’s a few days.

I’m using Fantastical now and it isn’t very helpful for it to say “none”. I want to know the next thing coming, no matter when it is.

Does that exist?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’d like a calendar widget that shows my next appointment even if it’s a few days.

I’m using Fantastical now and it isn’t very helpful for it to say “none”. I want to know the next thing coming, no matter when it is.

Does that exist?

I believe that the Apple Calendar widget does this already, at least I've seen it done before. But I think it only shows the next thing for the current week, not stuff weeks ahead. So for Wednesday it should show stuff for Saturday, Sunday, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The small apple calendar widget only shows events scheduled today. If there are none, it prints "no more events today." If you have an event for tomorrow it will show that instead. It doesn't show events beyond that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

xzzy posted:

The small apple calendar widget only shows events scheduled today. If there are none, it prints "no more events today." If you have an event for tomorrow it will show that instead. It doesn't show events beyond that.

Yeah this is right, I have events Saturday but this is what I see now

And with Fantastical’s widget, I can see the month but no info about it, I really don’t see the point. Shouldn’t it indicate days where something is scheduled? It’s a waste of two widget slots

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh you meant on the Lock Screen? I'm sure I've seen the medium size widget do the thing I was talking about.

Yeah I don't like the small widget on the LS doing that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Counting days to ios 17 when apple opens up the lock screen widget options to not be a single small chunk under the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dunno if anyone in this thread would have an idea about this, but I figured I'd ask anyways. I've got a gen 2 ipod nano I've been using since I bought it when they first came out, and it finally gave up the ghost after what, 14 years? It just makes a faint clicking noise every few seconds and won't turn on as of last night. I have a gen 4 nano I bought ages ago as a backup and wound up never using, currently using it right this instant but it has to be hooked up to an anker battery constantly because the internal battery is entirely dead due to being in a drawer for years. What's the best avenue to get the battery replaced in rhe gen 4, I'm guessing Apple won't do any maintenance on something that old? And would anyone know what the clicking the gen 2 is making signifies?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only Nano they're still servicing is the 7th Gen. iFixit has 4th gen batteries in stock but rates the repair as Very Difficult and includes soldering. A local shop may be willing to do it, but I'd be surprised if you'd find it worth the money.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Counting days to ios 17 when apple opens up the lock screen widget options to not be a single small chunk under the time.

Look there is only so much that technology can be advanced in a year, we have to have reasonable expectation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

The only Nano they're still servicing is the 7th Gen. iFixit has 4th gen batteries in stock but rates the repair as Very Difficult and includes soldering. A local shop may be willing to do it, but I'd be surprised if you'd find it worth the money.
yeah, that's as much as I've found online. I would gladly cough up a hundred bucks to get them fixed if it meant they'd be good for a while longer. the old Nanos are my favorite and shockingly sturdy, and I already have all the equipment and wearables for them anyways.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any way to make Lock Screen photos shuffle? I set 14 or so pictures to change when I unlock but they always go in the same order. It’d be nice to shuffle

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to make Lock Screen photos shuffle? I set 14 or so pictures to change when I unlock but they always go in the same order. It’d be nice to shuffle

Yeah, or a way to have it select a folder (like Pinterest downloads for me) and continually update/rotate that.

How much of this ongoing image processing stuff is happening onboard devices too? Is that part of what's affecting battery life for many? It says it'll be done when it's done I guess, is that all in the cloud?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How does the battery widget decide what device to show? It’s a shame it doesn’t cycle through everything connected or let you swipe through.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edit, never mind I am bad at reading

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Where are y’all seeing that it’s processing photos?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rafikki posted:

Where are y’all seeing that it’s processing photos?

I saw it when I went to customize a lock screen with photos and then selected album.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

How does the battery widget decide what device to show? It’s a shame it doesn’t cycle through everything connected or let you swipe through.

I have one that has 4 spots and it depends what you have connected? Phone watch and headphones all show up depending what's on and in range

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to set per app settings to not use cellular data?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to set per app settings to not use cellular data?

Settings, all the apps are at the bottom of the main page, each one can enable/disable Siri, mobile data and other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Laserface posted:

Settings, all the apps are at the bottom of the main page, each one can enable/disable Siri, mobile data and other stuff

Cheers. I knew I was missing something very obvious.