Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'll have you know that he showed extreme filial piety and that excuses all other sins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'll be the one to nominate Ea-Nasir leading his copper seeking clients on and breaking their little hearts.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ea-nasir had a room where he collected all his complaint letters, he definitely was on board with being a poo poo bag and he loved it. Exact opposite of a nice guy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Agean90 posted:

ea-nasir had a room where he collected all his complaint letters, he definitely was on board with being a poo poo bag and he loved it. Exact opposite of a nice guy
he was the ultimate sigma male

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

any roman poet was an absolute fuckboi

edit hell, song of solomon from the israelites

martin luther was kind of a traditional incel

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
ea-nasir was full of self confidence, and never stewed in misery over rejection
“if you want to take me, take me; if you do not want to take me, go away!”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

i say swears online posted:

martin luther was kind of a traditional incel

You can't be a traditional incel without posting about it so yeah, he was the original incel

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

voted liu bei, you know nobody could stand that crafty old owl

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

here's a pretty good imo video on the cerutti mastodon site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z3DbmOuaFI

i thought this was a really good video btw way better than the thumbnail made it look

so i take it the assumption is that the hominids who killed the mammoth might not be homo sapiens just because of how far removed they are temporally from any other trace of human activity? this seems like the only explanation i can see for the lack of evidence in the intervening periods is just that the original settler group died or left and it was tens of thousands of years before another group tried again

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
remember when liu bei was on the run and a poor man murdered his own wife and fed her to him and liu bei was like "i'm in shock, i can't believe you'd do something like this... and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There's also a "ghost population" of modern humans in the Americas that's only discernible genetically, at least according to current thought as far as I'm aware.They're supposed to have been more closely related to New Guineans and Australians than modern day Native Americans.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Jazerus posted:

gently caress off with this current events poo poo

the real question: which pre-modern historical figure was the biggest piece of poo poo "nice guy"

Potemkin has big simp energy, "I built a fake city for you m'lady"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sherbert Hoover posted:

remember when liu bei was on the run and a poor man murdered his own wife and fed her to him and liu bei was like "i'm in shock, i can't believe you'd do something like this... and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

what

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Some Guy TT posted:

i thought this was a really good video btw way better than the thumbnail made it look

so i take it the assumption is that the hominids who killed the mammoth might not be homo sapiens just because of how far removed they are temporally from any other trace of human activity? this seems like the only explanation i can see for the lack of evidence in the intervening periods is just that the original settler group died or left and it was tens of thousands of years before another group tried again
yes, since the material evidence of their existence is currently just these bones and rocks that vastly predates the standard narrative not just of arrival in the new world but the spread across the old world, so if it is the work of homo sapiens then we'd have to believe a migration group essentially speedrun their way across east asia long before we have evidence for it whereas archaic humans had already migrated across the old world long before we did so it's much easier to propose a group of them made this crossing - especially imo considering the unsophisticated nature of the tools being used (if that is what they are).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dudes rock

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jazerus posted:

gently caress off with this current events poo poo

the real question: which pre-modern historical figure was the biggest piece of poo poo "nice guy"

Here lies Basil II. He never scored.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Liu Bei stops at a peasant's house and asks to be fed some meat. He's served a delicious meal, and then goes into the peasant's kitchen and discovers that the man butchered his own wife and served her to Liu Bei. He is overjoyed at the peasant's selfless sacrifice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hes just confused because in western literature the old man and dead wife would be turned into a tree to live forever together for their virtue

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
edward the confessor whined about his mother, was too nice to the people that killed his bro and a dick to his wife. the only good thing he did (set up the normans) was an indirect result of him promising the crown to anyone he could

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

It's to contrast Liu Bei with Lu Bu. The book makes a big deal about Lu Bu's unbeatable martial prowess being distracted and spoiled by a lot of unimportant poo poo, including his wife and his daughter. The Liu clan, on the other hand, doesn't hesitate to drop their baggage at a moment's notice in service of the cause. The Lius can always get more women, but Lu Bu likes the one he has too much and it contributes to his ruin in that same chapter.

Sentiment didn't age well.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

turns out confucius was kind of a hosed up little man

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jazerus posted:

turns out confucius was kind of a hosed up little man

They really did get the worst of the hundred schools of thought.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Chamale posted:

It's in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Liu Bei stops at a peasant's house and asks to be fed some meat. He's served a delicious meal, and then goes into the peasant's kitchen and discovers that the man butchered his own wife and served her to Liu Bei. He is overjoyed at the peasant's selfless sacrifice.

This is not the last time that happens in Chinese Classics. A general kicks off the canibalism stage of a siege by eating his beloved wife

quote:

Zhang Xun took his concubine out and killed her in front of his soldiers in order to feed them. He said, "You have been working hard at protecting this city for the country wholeheartedly. Your loyalty is uncompromised despite the long-lasting hunger. Since I can't cut out my own flesh to feed you, how can I keep this woman and just ignore the dangerous situation?" All the soldiers cried, and they did not want to eat. Zhang Xun ordered them to eat the flesh. Afterwards, they caught the women in the city. After the women were run out, they turned to old and young males. 20,000 to 30,000 people were eaten. People always remained loyal.

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Sep 22, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

quote:

Instead, he offered Nan Jiyun a large feast, to try to convince him to join his ranks. Nan replied, "The reason why I risked my life to come here is because the local civilians and my comrades have no food to eat for over a month. How can I eat such a huge feast when I know that my comrades are facing? Although I failed my mission, I will bite off a finger and leave it with you, as evidence that I did come here."

I think the chronicler of the Book of Tang just had a vore fetish

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

please, eat my wife

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

This is not the last time that happens in Chinese Classics. A general kicks off the canibalism stage of a siege by eating his beloved wife

I love the ridiculously huge numbers in there, like they had an industrial abattoir turning 50,000 people into sausage

We had to eat the town to save it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really think of the peak Liu Bei moment is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQPFWWHyMU

Anyway its hard to choose a peak creep from history cuz goddamn there's a deep bench.

War and Pieces posted:

since when did leftists have a party line on love and romance the spectrum extends all the way from 200 person polycules with shared custody to transhuman asexual reproduction and everything in between

I wouldn't say its a party line but like there's clearly a discourse and shared vocabulary and its frankly not hard to get

War and Pieces posted:

I think the chronicler of the Book of Tang just had a vore fetish

this is a new and exciting lens for understanding history (that i hate)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

quote:

Afterwards, they caught the women in the city. After the women were run out, they turned to old and young males. 20,000 to 30,000 people were eaten. People always remained loyal.

Well. Some of them did.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Benagain posted:

Well. Some of them did.

at least dinner wasn't revolting

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sherbert Hoover posted:

at least dinner wasn't revolting
:discourse:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
okay so what's up with all the cannibalism in chinese classics?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nosfereefer posted:

okay so what's up with all the cannibalism in chinese classics?

Yeah it seems to be a thing, plus the cannibalism mentioned during the cultural revolution. Also in period shows people are always threatening to cook and eat eachother

Plus I remember while reading Victorian Holocausts they mention that while the Indians kept the huge taboo on cannibalism during the famines the Chinese were comparatively chowing down on eachother

I don't know if that's just sinophobic nonsense based on Chinese myth making though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ah, the decisive Tang victory meme.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Keeping the tax rates of the jizya in place after successfully Reconquisting a region of Al Andulus is a real King Chad move.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

Keeping the tax rates of the jizya in place after successfully Reconquisting a region of Al Andulus is a real King Chad move.

In Britain, the mechanisms put in place to raise enough silver to pay danegeld was immediately converted into regular taxation once the danes took their money and departed

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

listen you're not going to put those honest hardworking tax collectors out of work

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bedpan posted:

In Britain, the mechanisms put in place to raise enough silver to pay danegeld was immediately converted into regular taxation once the danes took their money and departed
The vikings truly were amazing, teaching their neighbors statecraft free of charge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah it seems to be a thing, plus the cannibalism mentioned during the cultural revolution. Also in period shows people are always threatening to cook and eat eachother
It is said that general Xiang Yu captured Liu Bang's father and threatened to cook him into soup. Liu Bang's response was "send me a cup when it's done".

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Bang Energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Bang Energy.