Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've won with Raven Man plenty, the trick is to do everything in your power to keep Jodah, specifically, off the board and then discard like a madman. If you have to multi-block him do it, almost all of his lands enter tapped and each time they replay him it costs 2 more mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is it still too early in DMU's cycle to commit to spending wildcards for a deck, or is it safe to spend some of them for some cards? The deck I'm thinking of is pretty much the mono black deck a lot of people have with Sheoldred, Invoke Despair, Meathook, etc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Didn't folks say to not spend a bunch of wildcards on the Mono-B deck because it's gonna fall off soon?

I think the only WCs I've spent on DMU so far have been for a pair of Serra Paragons, and 3 more for a playset of Haughty Djinns

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Node posted:

Is it still too early in DMU's cycle to commit to spending wildcards for a deck, or is it safe to spend some of them for some cards? The deck I'm thinking of is pretty much the mono black deck a lot of people have with Sheoldred, Invoke Despair, Meathook, etc.

The painlands are pretty safe crafts, especially in aggro colours.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Didn't folks say to not spend a bunch of wildcards on the Mono-B deck because it's gonna fall off soon?

I think the only WCs I've spent on DMU so far have been for a pair of Serra Paragons, and 3 more for a playset of Haughty Djinns

I remember people speculating that mono-B will probably suffer in the next expansion since black doesn't get artifact removal and Brother's War will be an artifact set. However, that's months away.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Ariong posted:

I remember people speculating that mono-B will probably suffer in the next expansion since black doesn't get artifact removal and Brother's War will be an artifact set. However, that's months away.

Black doesn't have artifact removal yet. Just slap lose 2 life on ancient grudge.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I picked Jodah and cruised to an easy 3-0. My cosmetic sucked though so that’s karma for picking the op deck.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It is kind of sick how much B can blow up enchantments with Invoke Despair lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Phew that was a bit of a slog to get the wins (even my first Jodah match had me facing a Queen who just went off and off with billions of tokens), but it did the job: I'm now interested in brawl. Maybe I'll build sth. Is it only historic, though, or is there a standard brawl?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Lost two long games with the Swamp King, swapped two Jodah and won two pretty quick. May play in the morning for the cosmetic. One dude got down Cemetery Desecrator with Argosy and I thought he was just going to eat my board over the next couple of turns, and he just didn't. He badly misread something, because he kept crewing with a bird or lantern bearer instead of Desecrator or Aether Channeler. Mysterious.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Phew that was a bit of a slog to get the wins (even my first Jodah match had me facing a Queen who just went off and off with billions of tokens), but it did the job: I'm now interested in brawl. Maybe I'll build sth. Is it only historic, though, or is there a standard brawl?

There is, and I like it, but it's pretty Jodah-infested.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am playing Orzhov etb lifegain/lifeloss/sac, and winning against this netdecked monoblack control player, and they have the NERVE to rope me out instead of conceding?

miettememe.png

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 22, 2022

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Node posted:

I think it should stay a good deck. I've been winning a lot with the BR version, and the esper one is good as well. if you start with mono black you can expand to one of the multicolor versions later on. Evolved sleeper is the only card that is run exclusively in the mono black version, so maybe save those wild cards for dual lands if you think you'll want to switch it up.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
For anyone who plays standard brawl, any suggestions on my BG ramp/reanimator pile? I've settled on Rutstein as commander after trying Old Stickfingers for a while. It's nice to keep playing Commander Stickfingers as a 10/10 later on, but as an early play he feels like a bad hail mary to try and trash a reanimation target. I almost always want to play Rutstein turn 3.

Commander:
1 Old Rutstein

Creatures (17):
1 Consuming Blob
1 Eccentric Farmer
1 Outland Liberator
1 Old Stickfingers
1 Avabruck Caretaker
1 Reclusive Taxidermist
1 Gravelighter
1 Night Clubber
1 Tenacious Underdog
1 Gala Greeters
1 Titan of Industry
1 Cult Conscript
1 Evolved Sleeper
1 Knight of Dusk's Shadow
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
1 Llanowar Loamspeaker
1 Shigeki, Jukai Visionary

Planeswalkers (2):
1 Wrenn and Seven
1 Liliana of the Veil

Non-creature Spells (15):
1 Infernal Grasp
1 The Meathook Massacre
1 Path to the Festival
1 Diregraf Rebirth
1 The Celestus
1 Arcane Signet
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Mulch
1 Soul Transfer
1 Teachings of the Kirin
1 The Cruelty of Gix
1 Pilfer
1 Urborg Repossession
1 Tear Asunder
1 Cut Down

Lands (25):
1 Command Tower
1 Deathcap Glade
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Jungle Hollow
1 Roadside Reliquary
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
1 Riveteers Overlook
1 Crystal Grotto
1 Haunted Mire
8 Swamp
7 Forest

I've gone 8-3 with this version after an unfruitful 20-24 attempt with less ramp and more reanimation + spot removal. Every version seems to have a bad matchup against Jodah. But I'm probably playing it wrong, I had a couple games where I won by smashing mana artifacts and now I think I try to keep disrupting when I should be trying to make a big play after disrupting one time. Feels really good to crush a Network Terminal and find out they don't have the lands they need.

Right now my next wildcards for the deck are prob 2 mythics for Henrika Domnathi (world's best Gravelighter, removing Knight of Dusk's Shadow) and Junji, the Midnight Sky (removing Consuming Blob). And there are a buncha cards already coming and going from the deck as I try to zero in on the right balance of disruption/value/ramp:

Edgar's Awakening
Eaten Alive
Dryad's Revival
Sanguine Spy
Relic of Legends
Murder
Twisted Embrace
Undead Butler
Retrieve
Duress
Fell Stinger
Jewel Thief

palamedes fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 22, 2022

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The thing about mono b is that the individual pieces are still pretty drat good, and xBB isn't terribly difficult to come up with with manabases being what they are. A protected Sheoldred is still ridiculous. Liliana is still good. The various support creatures are still good. Sorin, if you don't already have him, is still good. Invoke Despair is the only real mono-black-only card in the deck.

e: Jesus I need to read more than just what I'm replying to.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

rickiep00h posted:

The thing about mono b is that the individual pieces are still pretty drat good, and xBB isn't terribly difficult to come up with with manabases being what they are. A protected Sheoldred is still ridiculous. Liliana is still good. The various support creatures are still good. Sorin, if you don't already have him, is still good. Invoke Despair is the only real mono-black-only card in the deck.

e: Jesus I need to read more than just what I'm replying to.

It will be interesting to see just it plays going for DMU to Brothers' War, given the change in focus. Timeless Lotus could be a major player if some version of Affinity for Artifacts comes back, or artifact-specific ramp.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

palamedes posted:

There is, and I like it, but it's pretty Jodah-infested.
Makes sense, still, sweet! Also, I keep wanting to make a BG graveyard matters deck but only have one-offs and an aversion to spending WCs, so thanks for that inspiration too :thunk:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i don't normally ask for advice on drafts, but i felt like i piloted this one better than most. i found what felt like an open lane and tried to be way less greedy/rare-drafty than normal. I really tried to adhere to finding a deck identity instead of just grabbing good cards.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/e2fce49ef6cf439390a44cca818af1c2

Disappointed this deck didn't come close to trophying. I know I misplayed badly but I am still surprised it went how it did. I am crazyyy titled by Defenders decks now. They have been the screen door on my submarine every single draft. I never see it open but it always whomps me.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 22, 2022

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think the UR wasn't super open here, in some parts you just kind of forced it and got rewarded in pack 3. In the first two packs after the initial few picks there aren't a ton of great blue and red cards coming around. So in the end you have a number of filler cards like warbrute, negate, smash to dust, firenado, whelp that are starting to form a critical mass. On the other hand it's kind of hard to get Shivan Devastator + Haughty Djinn when you're already deep in UR and not running with it.

I think in P1 I would have gone different on these:

P1P6 probably Sojourner or Mesa Cavalier
P1P8 Vineshaper
P1P10 has to be Sentry

That sends you on a slightly different path without losing any great cards but then P2 doesn't really offer much green either so it might be a dead end?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Speaking of defender decks, have i built this properly?

https://sealeddeck.tech/WNESFAEUEy

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What are the last two cuts for this deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/343cc99e26304870bbe0f607ea4997bf? I'm thinking Gibbering Barricade and one of the badgers. My mana is a bit rubbish so I'll probably need the crystal grotto in for a swamp, right?

How many Urborg Repossession is too many? Are you ever running a third (or fourth!)?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

fridge corn posted:

You have five Shield Wall Sentinels.

edit: oops, quoted wrong person

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 23, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Calibanibal posted:

haha oh g*d i conceded a free game then

i didnt even let it resolve i just read the text and quit as fast as i could

Compare with Deputy of Detention, which is a token killing machine

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Id run pilfer over shadow prophecy to try and give yourself something to do on turn two. You have plenty of other stronger sources of card advantage. Otherwise looks like a strong deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

i don't normally ask for advice on drafts, but i felt like i piloted this one better than most. i found what felt like an open lane and tried to be way less greedy/rare-drafty than normal. I really tried to adhere to finding a deck identity instead of just grabbing good cards.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/e2fce49ef6cf439390a44cca818af1c2

Taking the Maro over Talas Lookout doesn't make sense to me. You're previous picks are leaning towards u/r, there's one of the best blue commons in the pack; I don't see any reason to start hedging our bets here.

Founding The Third Path is unplayable trash. You rarely have a 1-2 mana spell in your hand for chapter 1 (and if you did you could just be casting it instead of the path), and all chapter three does is let you cast a spell but with the additional setup cost of deploying the saga. None of the chapters give you a card or mana advantage. Do not play it and do not pick it so you don't bait yourself into playing it.

Otherwise draft looks fine. You saw strong u/r early in packs 1/2 saw enough stuff mid-pack to keep you in those colors, and then just didn't see anything good afterwards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm playing Golgari Value-Planeswalkers in Explorer and i'm really surprised nobody else seems to be

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

little munchkin posted:

Founding The Third Path is unplayable trash. You rarely have a 1-2 mana spell in your hand for chapter 1 (and if you did you could just be casting it instead of the path), and all chapter three does is let you cast a spell but with the additional setup cost of deploying the saga. None of the chapters give you a card or mana advantage. Do not play it and do not pick it so you don't bait yourself into playing it.
it's a 1U Recoup, so if you have a devastatingly powerful sorcery it's ok. Still tough to wring value out of but in the right setup not the worst

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

precision posted:

i'm playing Golgari Value-Planeswalkers in Explorer and i'm really surprised nobody else seems to be

List, my dude

i mean, it's probably way to many rares I don't have but still. inquiring minds

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

it's a 1U Recoup, so if you have a devastatingly powerful sorcery it's ok. Still tough to wring value out of but in the right setup not the worst

Maybe its good in some constructed format but there's not a critical mass of devastatingly powerful sorceries in the limited format. If you have a rare sweeper or whatever you should be playing it alongside a good card instead of a nearly blank piece of cardboard that will only do something if you have drawn + cast your sweeper but have somehow managed to not win the game yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hooplah posted:

List, my dude

i mean, it's probably way to many rares I don't have but still. inquiring minds

my collection of pre-Kaldheim cards is very sparse, so i'm sure i can do better, but here's my first pass at it:

3 x Eyetwitch
3 x Shambling Ghast
3 x Deadly Dispute
3 x Infernal Grasp
2 x Tenacious Underdog
3 x Prosperous Innkeeper
3 x Sedgemoor Witch
2 x Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
2 x Sorin the Mirthless
3 x Binding the Old Gods
2 x Blood on the Snow
2 x Lolth, Spider Queen
2 x Titan of Industry
3 x the Meathook Massacre

2 x Tangled Florahedron
2 x Agadeem's Awakening
4 x Darkbore Pathway
3 x Deathcap Glade
6 x Snow-Covered Swamp
6 x Snow-Covered Forest

sideboard: Containment Breach, Mascot Exhibition, Necrotic Fumes, Basic Conjuration, Intro to Annihilation, whatever

i guess it isn't really a Planeswalker focused deck, though if you have Prof Onyx and Lilly of the Veil you could swap those in and take out Industry Tittums and maybe go down an hobbit or something i dunno :shrug:

i just turn things sideways

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Midweek Magic seems like it got a lot of new players into standard brawl, I just played against 13 different commanders in 14 games. Only one Jodah and I smothered him to death under his own Toxrill. It's awesome, hope it stays like this (but it probably won't).

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

palamedes posted:

Midweek Magic seems like it got a lot of new players into standard brawl, I just played against 13 different commanders in 14 games. Only one Jodah and I smothered him to death under his own Toxrill. It's awesome, hope it stays like this (but it probably won't).

Awesome. Are you still running ol rutsy?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

snyprmag posted:

I would run repossession over the meteorite and an extra swamp or too to really try and always have black for vortex.

little munchkin posted:

yea me too, actually. you're not actually splashing for that much and meteorite doesn't help out your domain cards. plus repossession is a nice way to address the low creature count

Thanks, the Urborg Repo really tied the deck together

It also opened the line for exact lethal to clinch the trophy against a resolved Sheoldred(!!), I Repoed Haunting Figment and Kicked Colossal Growth for hasted 6 unblockable damage. Probably going to be the peak performance of this set for me lol

Always nice to have bombs and multiple layers of synergy but short of that I think I have been most comfortable with green stompy and pump spells, it seems pretty effective

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oops double post

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Hooplah posted:

Awesome. Are you still running ol rutsy?

Yup yup, same list from above. The parser omitted Shigeki when I initially posted, dunno why. He's super good! The Shigeki/Urborg Repossession loop is the last remnant of the heavy recursion from the Tatsunari brawl deck this developed from.

I like Ol' Rusty more and more each game. Ran into Braids twice and he shut down their card draw hard. And had a marathon game vs Liesa where he gave me blood tokens for the first 3 turns, boo to that. But I eventually used every single one of them with Wrenn lands to grind out the win. Rusty knows what ya need.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Join us in the hellfire of Historic Brawl and let Old Rutstein really dig in

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Definitely gonna try it once he rotates. But I suspect that, as far as hbrawl BG reanimator goes, playing Ol' Rusty on turn 2 or 3 loses to windmill slamming an entire library into the graveyard with Ol' Sticky.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

palamedes posted:

Yup yup, same list from above. The parser omitted Shigeki when I initially posted, dunno why. He's super good! The Shigeki/Urborg Repossession loop is the last remnant of the heavy recursion from the Tatsunari brawl deck this developed from.

I like Ol' Rusty more and more each game. Ran into Braids twice and he shut down their card draw hard. And had a marathon game vs Liesa where he gave me blood tokens for the first 3 turns, boo to that. But I eventually used every single one of them with Wrenn lands to grind out the win. Rusty knows what ya need.

Do you often find you get both halves of soul transfer? Wondering how good that card is in your list. obviously that + shigeki is gas, but otherwise does it put in work?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Hooplah posted:

Do you often find you get both halves of soul transfer? Wondering how good that card is in your list. obviously that + shigeki is gas, but otherwise does it put in work?

I'd say I get full value almost half the time, Old Rutstein makes artifacts and for enchantments I've got Meathook, Shigeki, and a couple sagas. I've played Cruelty of Gix from the top and tutored for Soul Transfer on chapter 2, that had to be demoralizing.

It was better in the Tatsunari version that had more enchantments but it's still valuable as a plain removal spell. It kills planeswalkers and gets around shield counters/death triggers, it's been very good vs the Neon Dynasty dragons. I'd probably swap out Eccentric Farmer for Weatherseed Treaty or bring Fight Rigging back in before I considered removing Soul Transfer. But I'm open to alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Historic Brawl is currently the best non-limited format in my eyes. I don't play any cancer queue commanders and I only face off against them occasionally.