Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hooplah posted:

i think your cat might be sick

Sick cats is just how a lot of good science is made. The life hack meteorologists don't want you to know!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Sick cats is just how a lot of good science is made. The life hack meteorologists don't want you to know!!!

Dr.... Rat? I don't even want to know why you're so excited about sick cats

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hooplah posted:

Dr.... Rat? I don't even want to know why you're so excited about sick cats

My medical degree is legitimate and ethical sourced, and I will answer no further questions on this matter!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I like how literally every weather model is spinning that wave up into a major gulf hurricane but NHC can't start any forecasts yet because it hasn't even developed into a TC lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dr_rat posted:

My medical degree is legitimate and ethical sourced, and I will answer no further questions on this matter!

I've always wondered, are you named after the Dutch graffiti pioneer from the 70s?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I like how literally every weather model is spinning that wave up into a major gulf hurricane but NHC can't start any forecasts yet because it hasn't even developed into a TC lol

wouldn't want to make assumptions or jump to conclusions

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

still hot in china

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1572262590616862721

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mirconium posted:

I'm pretty sure the point of highbeams in the rain is to make yourself more visible so that someone doesn't turn you into an oncoming pancake or so that you don't turn a pedestrian into pink mist, but what do I know?

Not much apparently

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

any kind of HID light should be illegal on vehicles taller than a sedan because the cutoff shields are effectively worthless to stop them from blinding other drivers

Are those the insanely bright headlights I keep seeing? Because holy poo poo, yes, we need to ban the gently caress out of them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's a good song.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ekuNNN posted:

I've always wondered, are you named after the Dutch graffiti pioneer from the 70s?

Nah, nothing that cool alas. Like most of my kin, just a rat with a degree.

You know how it is.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dr_rat posted:

You know how it is.
I do. :hmmyes:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

Are those the insanely bright headlights I keep seeing? Because holy poo poo, yes, we need to ban the gently caress out of them.

No they're like aftermarket add-ons that brodozers have for 'offroading' aka for blinding people on the highway.

The super bright headlights you're seeing are just LEDs.

The reason why they're so loving obnoxious is twofold:
1. The US regulations for headlights are dumb as gently caress and require a certain beam throw angle rather than specifying the area to be illuminated. The result is that taller vehicles intrinsically do better on headlight tests than lower vehicles (because raising a fixed angle beam 2 feet makes it throw farther) while also being more likely to blind other drivers. There's no accounting for this in the regulations because durr hurr that would cost money to implement and kill jobs.
2. The US actually bans adaptive shadow technology which is built into almost all of these LED headlight modules and used in Japan and Europe but not on the same cars in the US. EG in Europe your BMW actually dims the beam to 'black out' specifically the part of the illuminated area that would blind another driver or a pedestrian; the concept of a fixed 'low' and 'high' setting is an antiquated concept when you can light up the entire road like the fourth of july while simultaneously dimming exactly the areas where the light would be obnoxious to other people.

Basically headlights have gotten brighter and brighter and vehicles have gotten taller and taller but the US regulations still think it's 1985 and everyone is driving a munchkin sized Toyota Tercel with two whale oil lamps strapped to the front.

Point #2 was reportedly changed last year but I don't think it's going into effect until next year.

e: here's a video of some volvo that does this; putting the same technology on the same car in the us would be illegal so better to just blind other drivers instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTYa0ZgxTpU

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Sep 22, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Big fan of light green

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Big fan of light green

I’ll put a dollar on blue square.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Oldest Man posted:

e: here's a video of some volvo that does this; putting the same technology on the same car in the us would be illegal so better to just blind other drivers instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTYa0ZgxTpU

What's funny is that I guarantee this kind of thing will get a huge amount of backlash from the brodozer crowd and you'll have people replacing them with the brightest gently caress-off aftermarket lights they can find. I have no doubt at all that easily 1/4-1/3 of the trucks I see around here are intentionally running their high beams at all times just to blind other drivers.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's gotten so bad I straight up won't drive on the highway at night. I'd rather be up at four or five the following morning than have headaches induced and risk accidents.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

Big fan of light green

my heart yearns for grey square
cat 3 right in tampa bay's mouth

jetz0r has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Sep 22, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

jetz0r posted:

my heart yearns for grey square
cat 3 right right in tampa bay's mouth

The Tampa bay disaster scenario if the hurricane hits it just right

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

i am harry posted:

that guy drew like 25 different cat butts and then sold them to nasa, rip a true legend

explains why my runaway cat was last seen in Lake Charles

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

For context: people think Florida equals hurricanes but they tend to hit either the south (like Andrew in 1992 or Irma 2017) or the panhandle (like Michael in 2018 that wrecked those F-35s). Some areas, like Jacksonville in the northeast or Tampa on the west coast get a lot less.

Tampa is the most tolerable city in Florida :ohdear:

platzapS has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Sep 22, 2022

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Counterpoint: all of Florida is poo poo and deserves what is coming.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SirPablo posted:

Counterpoint: all of Florida is poo poo and deserves what is coming.
:hai:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
actually everyone deserves what is coming.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I'm not a fan of guilt by association but I make an exception for all of Florida

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

No they're like aftermarket add-ons that brodozers have for 'offroading' aka for blinding people on the highway.

The super bright headlights you're seeing are just LEDs.

The reason why they're so loving obnoxious is twofold:
1. The US regulations for headlights are dumb as gently caress and require a certain beam throw angle rather than specifying the area to be illuminated. The result is that taller vehicles intrinsically do better on headlight tests than lower vehicles (because raising a fixed angle beam 2 feet makes it throw farther) while also being more likely to blind other drivers. There's no accounting for this in the regulations because durr hurr that would cost money to implement and kill jobs.
2. The US actually bans adaptive shadow technology which is built into almost all of these LED headlight modules and used in Japan and Europe but not on the same cars in the US. EG in Europe your BMW actually dims the beam to 'black out' specifically the part of the illuminated area that would blind another driver or a pedestrian; the concept of a fixed 'low' and 'high' setting is an antiquated concept when you can light up the entire road like the fourth of july while simultaneously dimming exactly the areas where the light would be obnoxious to other people.

Basically headlights have gotten brighter and brighter and vehicles have gotten taller and taller but the US regulations still think it's 1985 and everyone is driving a munchkin sized Toyota Tercel with two whale oil lamps strapped to the front.

Point #2 was reportedly changed last year but I don't think it's going into effect until next year.

lol USA rocks

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Florida is a fine place if you don’t factor in the people or the climate or anything else

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

That unapparent summer air in early fall
The quiet comprehending of the ending of it all

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Florida is a fine place if you don’t factor in the people or the climate or anything else

why do people keep moving there?:sterv:

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not a fan of guilt by association but I make an exception for all of Florida

Florida is the one state they had to remind not to shoot at the hurricanes.

https://twitter.com/PascoSheriff/st...%2F650909001%2F

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Closest thing you can get to the iconic California suburban lifestyle (sub divisions, freeways, beaches, shopping centers, etc…) at way less the cost and also in the eastern time zone

That’s my theory at least

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

Same reason people move to places like Phoenix or Vegas or LA

Cultural brainworms

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you move south to deserts or the tropics, you get away from seasonal allergies that make old people grumpy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

OK baizuo posted:

Same reason people move to places like Phoenix or Vegas or LA

Cultural brainworms

Yeah and Texas. These places all offer no winter and all in suburban living at prices well below Los Angeles county

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It's just winter. They hate winter so much that they'll move to some of the worst climates in the country to escape it. I will never understand these people, but that's why.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Florida would be okay if you could wear a loin cloth but Capital demands i wear pants

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

It's just winter. They hate winter so much that they'll move to some of the worst climates in the country to escape it. I will never understand these people, but that's why.

Because winter is cruel joke played on humanity, designed to torment, torture, and take your fingers and toes if you're in it to long.

Warmth and humidity are relaxing and nice. I feel like people who don't like it, their brains are just rejecting the fact that good things do exist in this world. Probably cos their brains are frozen have been frozen solid, all they have left is to wait till winter finally ends them, as it does all things that stay in it's ice grasp to long.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I spent 11 months in Florida in my twenties and my most enduring memory is driving up 95 after work and having a massive thunderstorm roll in and drop visibility to nothing and half the cars would slow down to 20mph and the other half would keep going 80 and somehow I never saw it end in a wreck

Dr Rat you’re not wrong about warmth but I question your sanity re: humidity — Florida is the most miserable heat I’ve ever been in and I also lived for a while in SC and coastal GA which are almost as bad. I’d rather be homeless than ever move back to the east coast

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AntiDepressor posted:

Florida is the one state they had to remind not to shoot at the hurricanes.

https://twitter.com/PascoSheriff/st...%2F650909001%2F

Notice only applies to Irma.

Let ’er rip on Hermine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Florida was pretty cheap until a few years ago and it never snows. good enough for most people