Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

It's a cliche but it's true that many people who for whatever reason find acceptance difficult use games as their safe space. That's why I get so upset at fellow gamers who are shitheads towards marginalized people who share that space.

Because when it comes down to it, many gamergate types actually aren't that different. It's just that they find their particular brand of difference - read: nerdiness / social awkwardness - more stereotypical within the space.

More than anyone, they should know exactly what it's like to be treated as an outsider, but instead they channel their own frustration into denigrating others.

It's sad and infuriating, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh the problem here is that straight white cis men are the ones with all the power in our society so aren't marginalised at all. But they wish they were, because they want it to explain why they are not a billionaire with 6 cars.

It was a running theme on reddit, god maybe as much as 15 years ago now, where you had a lot of middle class white boys in America screaming and shouting that Hispanics/Asian people/black people were getting more grants and funding than they were, and every single one of them had a Chinese friend who was "given" a place at the best university when this whinging turd couldn't get in. Every time. without exception, it was because the application process had changed. American further education institutions no longer just cared about the money clearing, they had more applicants than spaces so could start to pick and choose at every level. So it became expected to fill out your CV with extracurricular activities, from school based clubs to volunteer work, and these doughy white boys had spent the last 10 years inside their bedrooms gaming. Some of them had a "oh poo poo" moment of self reflection and spent the next year painting churches and whatnot and fixed themselves, some went on to do programming at lesser institutions and worked upwards, and others spent the next 15 years in a minimum wage job getting increasingly bitter and hanging out with other self entitled fuckwits

THIS.

IS.

EVE.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

symbiotic interactionism breaking the age crime curve

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Yeh the problem here is that straight white cis men are the ones with all the power in our society so aren't marginalised at all. But they wish they were, because they want it to explain why they are not a billionaire with 6 cars.

They are not from a racial or gender point of view, but certainly are from a class point of view, as you allude to.

But this gets into a "how fascism grows from capitalism" discussion which is a bit to deep for a boom boom pew pew spaceship game thread.

ETA: Actually, class wasn't the exact direction I wanted to go, but you get the idea. Social standing depends on context.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 22, 2022

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

:goofy:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

:honk:

GANDR's got all the things. Wanna munch crok? Well, we ain't got crok, but we got Coesites and poo poo. Wanna huff space farts? You got it, amigo. Wanna shoot red crosses? OH BOY, DO WE GOT DEM RED CROSSES.

Wanna shoot everything that isn't blue? The whole wide world is yours.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:shrug:

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

dragonshardz posted:

:honk:

GANDR's got all the things. Wanna munch crok? Well, we ain't got crok, but we got Coesites and poo poo. Wanna huff space farts? You got it, amigo. Wanna shoot red crosses? OH BOY, DO WE GOT DEM RED CROSSES.

Wanna shoot everything that isn't blue? The whole wide world is yours.

what if I want to shoot blues though?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

captainclaw posted:

INIT. Is probably recruiting

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

captainclaw posted:

Boss battle and thunderdome are in the menu, but I had to deal with my wife having covid.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

captainclaw posted:

Set up a thunderdome/tourney.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

captainclaw posted:

Do it, and then tell Astryl.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Last time I actively played EO wormholes weren't a thing, what skills should I stick in the queue so I suck less?

e.g. I am completely untrained in huffing farts :v:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

NumptyScrub posted:

Last time I actively played EO wormholes weren't a thing, what skills should I stick in the queue so I suck less?

e.g. I am completely untrained in huffing farts :v:

if you want to hang out in the hole with the geese, the Scanning skills are super important.

Other Recommended
Gas Huffing 2
Precursor Destroyer/Disintegrator Spec is recommended as well for Wolf Rayets (omegas only)

I set up a few Corp Skill Plans that should point you in a good direction once you're in Corp.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
hacking skills, cloaking to IV. For scanning racial frig to 4 is fine for the bonuses, WH themselves are only level III difficulty and when updating map you don't have to really fully scan down everything unless it's 1 jump from nest as all we care about is holes - even then we can see in pathfinder what systems are scanned down and come along and tidy up after a newbie if needed. Logistics skills, even basic, are another useful thing to have in holes.

You'll be fine with T1 destroyers and even frigs in the wolf rayats, the T3/triangle ships are a goal rather than any strict doctrine which we try not to be too ridged about because that sucks the fun out of being a newbie.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

learnincurve posted:

hacking skills, cloaking to IV. For scanning racial frig to 4 is fine for the bonuses, WH themselves are only level III difficulty and when updating map you don't have to really fully scan down everything unless it's 1 jump from nest as all we care about is holes - even then we can see in pathfinder what systems are scanned down and come along and tidy up after a newbie if needed. Logistics skills, even basic, are another useful thing to have in holes.

You'll be fine with T1 destroyers and even frigs in the wolf rayats, the T3/triangle ships are a goal rather than any strict doctrine which we try not to be too ridged about because that sucks the fun out of being a newbie.

T1 armor frigs/destroyers can do Wolf-Rayets but aren't really recommended since they generally don't tank hard enough to survive getting looked at by the Arithmos Tyrannos (which does not have a doomsday, for the record, just lots of DPS that applies perfectly and a -600GJ/s neut). Assault Frigates, T3Ds, and triangle ships have a better time because their resist profiles are stronger.

To be clear, it's less "no don't do it" and more "do it, but expect that you'll probably die".

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Well, after spending probably 4b on fuel, all of my poo poo that used to be in Delve has been safely evac'd back to hisec or liquidated. Now to do something relatively fun

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

dragonshardz posted:

To be clear, it's less "no don't do it" and more "do it, but expect that you'll probably die".

Gotta keep that KB red with sacrifices to the gods of honk .

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

learnincurve posted:

My EO char is a :regd04: :corsair: but every time I stop playing to do something else, I have the dumbfuck habit of leaving myself subbed and filling the training queue with crap for when I get back. Looks like I already have a bunch of mentioned skills at 5 from a few years of doing that. My char might have the skills on paper but I sure don't, I think I last actively played back in 2016? :v:

Picked up the mentioned Precursor skills and gas huffing, and will go check the other thread for info

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

https://zkillboard.com/related/31000716/202209230200/

oops

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Good work keeping that killboard nice and red

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

If I wasn't raiding in the catgirl MMO on top of my EvE screen, I would have busted out my elite pvp skills. They got away lucky.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Good work keeping that killboard nice and red

It's called stimulating the economy. We're job creators.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
The holequal 'globby bait' has died.

'Globby bait 2' will be in build soon.

Eve: Online

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

That was fun as hell. I got at least one Sabre with the Athanor guns.

Would have gotten more if the Standup Warp Disruptor wasn't a 30sec on, 1min off deal. Their reps and warp-off game were on point.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

That's great, a rorqual mining a moon in a wormhole. Whilst I am kinda confused by the risk vs reward(don't wormholes only have r4?) I give mega-props for undocking big poo poo, jspace is suffering greatly from the declining player base and desperately needs more people doing stuff like that.

(Trying desperately to not be patronizing.)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
A second c5 has hit the rorqual

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

floppyspud posted:

That's great, a rorqual mining a moon in a wormhole. Whilst I am kinda confused by the risk vs reward(don't wormholes only have r4?) I give mega-props for undocking big poo poo, jspace is suffering greatly from the declining player base and desperately needs more people doing stuff like that.

(Trying desperately to not be patronizing.)

That's the idea, it's not smart, but it's fun. And how I got caught and the way reinforcements got brought in taught me a lot about how to hunt effectively in wormholes.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

That's the idea, it's not smart, but it's fun. And how I got caught and the way reinforcements got brought in taught me a lot about how to hunt effectively in wormholes.

Yes, wormholes are definitely in a great place atm, if everyone in null moved to jspace eve would probably be the greatest game of all time. Super-profitable krabbing, no local, scanning, more scanning.

So many if-onlys... sad

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Sure, the one night I pick to go run errands and I miss out on getting blown up hilarously :negative:

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

NumptyScrub posted:

My EO char is a :regd04: :corsair: but every time I stop playing to do something else, I have the dumbfuck habit of leaving myself subbed and filling the training queue with crap for when I get back. Looks like I already have a bunch of mentioned skills at 5 from a few years of doing that. My char might have the skills on paper but I sure don't, I think I last actively played back in 2016? :v:

Picked up the mentioned Precursor skills and gas huffing, and will go check the other thread for info

I've done this several times myself. My player skill is nowhere remotely near my character skill points.

TerranRaida
Feb 3, 2010

Sometimes you welp somebody elses fleet, sometimes your fleet gets welped. Way she goes sometimes

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You need rapid light caracal technology for the kiki menace

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

:discourse:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

bros ccp's new game lookin' good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
This game is bad and no one should play it.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Stereotype posted:

This game is bad and no one should play it.

I just reinstalled after not playing since 2015:negative:

HONK

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I just reinstalled after not playing since 2015:negative:

HONK

welcome to the srp club. btw do you have a covetor bpo? we kinda need one stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aedaxus
Feb 3, 2019

learnincurve posted:

Yeh the problem here is that straight white cis men are the ones with all the power in our society
Yeah, those white cis men like Queen Elisabeth, British prime ministers Margaret Thatcher and LiZ Truss. Also German Chancellor Angela Merkel and President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen. And so many more people you ignore. You are also ignoring all the proud black leaders in Africa and the Chinese leaders? Aren't you including them? Welcome to my ignore list, bigot.