Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ausgezeichnet posted:

Won't hear me refer to it as anything but National, either.

:haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Pinky Artichoke posted:

How does that work? Is the 172's top speed even above the F-15's stall speed?

Pardon the morning news show, but this has a pretty great shot of a F-16 standing up at what must be nearly stall angle of attack, and still zooming past a 182(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgL5jOypOQ8

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That’s why the USCG is the prime aircraft response in the DC prohibited areas. An MH-65 doesn’t care how slow your Citabria is.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrYenko posted:

That’s why the USCG is the prime aircraft response in the DC prohibited areas. An MH-65 doesn’t care how slow your Citabria is.

A Blackhawk with a door gunner gets the job done, too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long until we get a Cessna interdicted by a dude with one of those jetpack things they want to use for boarding ships.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I guess this tractor commercial could fit in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOBJE_R0Wo

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Cojawfee posted:

How long until we get a Cessna interdicted by a dude with one of those jetpack things they want to use for boarding ships.

Honestly this seems like a good job for a slightly big quadcopter drone with a loudspeaker.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

If a plane (or two) is tasked with an intercept do they need to sortie more planes to handle the original tasking?

You work a backfill via strip alert if needed, but they start with sufficient coverage to maintain coverage and also conduct intercept.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's darkly amusing that in Canada the only time we get airspace restricted is when the US president comes to visit.

Think fairly highly of yourselves, innit?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

It's darkly amusing that in Canada the only time we get airspace restricted is when the US president comes to visit.

The last chance for sane presidential TFRs went away when Kerry lost to W.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

The presidential TFRs are ludicrous, expensive, and comically unnecessary.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
:wtc:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42395/it-looks-like-a-c-130-seaplane-is-finally-happening

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You can tell we live in a cursed timeline because instead of the flying boat C-130 Lockheed proposed in the sixties, we’re getting a C-130 on the most ridiculous amphibious floats ever considered by mankind. loving thing is gonna have a 150kt Vne.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Didn’t we learn not to put airplanes on single giant wheels when the XB-36 kept falling through runways in the 60’s?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is from a year ago, there were more recent updates:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/07/ussocom-update-on-mc-130j-amphibious-capability-or-mac/

Direct quote from “USSOCOM’s Tech Director in Emerging Technologies”

quote:

“In terms of amphibious MC-130 demonstration, USSOCOM is actually going through some market research, currently, to see if we can identify any potential amphibious capacities to meet some of the SOF Requirements that are existing. And currently AFSOC is also doing an experimental demonstration where they are planning on putting some float assemblies on a C-130 platform. They use digital engineering as a major factor of reducing some of that risk and making some of those changes, and they have gone through some hydrotesting and some aero testing on a subscale factor.”

They of course reached out to the only possible people they could be doing market research* with and actually got a lot of answers from ShonMaywa:
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/09/shinmaywa-and-ussocom-comment-on-the-us-2-seaplane/

*if they were conducting “market research ;)” the only other option would be the AG600.

From SOCOM :

quote:

“The US-2 visit was a part of USSOCOM continuing to collaborate with AFSOC [U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command] conducting market research activities to analyze amphibious emergent technologies to develop a viable acquisition strategy.”

ShinMaywa Industries Comments

quote:

ShinMaywa’s Aircraft Division’s Sales & Marketing Department replied to Naval News’ inquiry at the end of August 2022 regarding possible production of the US-2 for the United States military. ShinMaywa admitted that the US-2 is being developed for the JMSDF, but they cannot answer questions regarding the US-2’s sensor outfit, production time, and the price per plane, citing customer preferences.

Naval News: Can weapons be mounted to the outside of the US-2?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “It is difficult to mount weapons on the outside.”
Naval News: Did the United States military ever ask ShinMaywa for any demonstration on the US-2?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “AFSOC boarded a US-2 in Japan, which is uploaded on the AFSOC website.”
Naval News: Is it possible to produce the US-2 for U.S. military service and if so, what modifications would this entail?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “It is possible to manufacture US-2 for AFSOC. ShinMaywa is willing to do so. We are promoting it in cooperation with U.S. companies. Maintenance manuals, etc. and equipment need to be made to AFSOC specifications.”
Naval News: How much does a US-2 cost and how long does it take to build one?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “It is difficult to answer this question as US-2 prices vary widely depending on AFSOC requirements. We also cannot answer the lead time.”
Naval News: How “maintenance intensive” is the US-2 and what is its life expectancy? How long before an overhaul and servicing?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “Short periodic maintenance intervals as we perform takeoffs and landings at sea. The service life cannot be answered either.”
Naval News: What benefits would the US-2 provide over other seaplanes?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “The most important feature of the US-2 is its ability to take off and land over very short distances on the water. Compared to other sea planes, it is by far the shortest. ShinMaywa is confident that the US-2 will meet the requirements of the U.S. military better than the C-130J MAC.” ShinMaywa states the US-2 is the only amphibian that can land on rough seas with a wave height of 3 meters.
Naval News: How many US-2s have been built?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “We are manufacturing US-2, unit No. 9.”
Naval News: Can the US-2 taxi on and off land and into and out of the water?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “US-2 can take off on land.”
Naval News: Are the instruments’ night-vision goggle compatible and does the US-2 have night vision capability?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “US-2 does not have night vision capability.”
Naval News: Can the US-2 be refueled in mid-air? Can it be refueled at sea?
ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd: “No in-air refueling capability. There is the ability to refuel from a ship at sea.” The US-2 can fly at 298 MPH or 480 KMH with a range of 2,920 miles or 4,700 kilometers. Water takeoff distance is 280 meters (918 feet) and water landing distance is 330 meters (1,082 feet).
(Reposter’s note: “it is difficult” is Japanese for “no”)

Naval News, apparently the the premier online source of news for seaplane :sickos:, also wants to make sure that we do not confuse this project with DARPA’s “liberty lifter” which is uh, very this thread:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/05/video-darpa-unveils-liberty-lifter-seaplane-concept/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOnLpXVkkTU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Saukkis posted:

I guess this tractor commercial could fit in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOBJE_R0Wo

Very eager to see хтз do a shot-for-shot remake of this with a T-90 instead of a glider

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Pardon the morning news show, but this has a pretty great shot of a F-16 standing up at what must be nearly stall angle of attack,

Hahh no. That's like 15 degrees alpha. That would be the critical angle for an average piston single. F-16s stall at like 35 degrees, and that's not even that impressive for a fighter jet (the F/A-18 is stable up to 55 degrees or so, and aircraft with thrust vectoring can push to 70+).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Saw a Hondajet in person yesterday in Halifax and it was adorable. :3:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE JUST BUY US-2s FROM THE JAPANESE.

And in retrospect I see HM already covered this.

slidebite posted:

I can't imagine being in one if anyone ever decided to drop a deuce in the onboard lav, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 23, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A U.S. Navy T-45C Goshawk jet trainer suffered a bird strike and crashed while on approach to Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, TX on 19 September 2021. Both pilots, an instructor and a student, ejected safely. One house was damaged.

https://i.imgur.com/9IZflFu.mp4

Holy poo poo this really sucks, no way to make it to the runway on final

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mobby_6kl posted:

A U.S. Navy T-45C Goshawk jet trainer suffered a bird strike and crashed while on approach to Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, TX on 19 September 2021. Both pilots, an instructor and a student, ejected safely. One house was damaged.

https://i.imgur.com/9IZflFu.mp4

Holy poo poo this really sucks, no way to make it to the runway on final

It makes sense as a reaction force especially if they’re real slow but boy did that nose ouch down hard on ejection

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

hobbesmaster posted:

ShinMaywa Industries Comments

(Reposter’s note: “it is difficult” is Japanese for “no”)
I disagree with that translation. It’s true for Japanese, but “it is difficult” combined with “we can’t talk about lead times” is defense contractor for “it will be very expensive.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah this case it’s more “not at present”

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

slidebite posted:

Last month we moved to an apartment complex next to the Addison, TX airport (ADS). So far, I’ve seen the following departing while walking the dog:

- Cirrus VisionJet
- HondaJet
- Pilatus PC-24
- Piaggio P.180

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE JUST BUY US-2s [from Beechcraft using airframes sourced] FROM THE JAPANESE

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CarForumPoster posted:

It makes sense as a reaction force especially if they’re real slow but boy did that nose ouch down hard on ejection

That’s not from the ejection, it’s from the crew no longer hauling back on the stick to keep the nose up.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

So essentially a catamaran R3Y Tradewind. An idea so good it was canceled at the height of the "lets fund goofy rear end ideas" part of the Cold War.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Saukkis posted:

If the pilots can't be trusted to not G-LOC themselves, then it sounds like the only option is a G-meter on board and disqualification for going over the limit.

Would create another skill differentiator, who can fly closest to the limit and in optimal path.

The problem with that is that the air at 50ft AGL isn't exactly smooth (especially if there's wind or wake turbulence), and some of the jet pilots have said in interviews that they pretty much always end the a race with the G meter pegged due to bumps, so an artificial G limit probably isn't practical.

In this case, it looks like Hogue may have turned outside the course to avoid cutting a pylon, and then G-LOC'ed himself by pulling way too hard and/or fast when he tried to rejoin, so that could probably be addressed with some rules changes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

azflyboy posted:

The problem with that is that the air at 50ft AGL isn't exactly smooth (especially if there's wind or wake turbulence), and some of the jet pilots have said in interviews that they pretty much always end the a race with the G meter pegged due to bumps, so an artificial G limit probably isn't practical.

In this case, it looks like Hogue may have turned outside the course to avoid cutting a pylon, and then G-LOC'ed himself by pulling way too hard and/or fast when he tried to rejoin, so that could probably be addressed with some rules changes.

Yes, it can't be a simple max-G measurement, it also needs to measure the time spent at high G.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrYenko posted:

That’s not from the ejection, it’s from the crew no longer hauling back on the stick to keep the nose up.

I was never good at making airframes, is the CG of goshawks far forward or something? I’d have though punch out would make the thing aft heavy and just wanna flat fall or tail down slightly

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

CarForumPoster posted:

I was never good at making airframes, is the CG of goshawks far forward or something? I’d have though punch out would make the thing aft heavy and just wanna flat fall or tail down slightly

You're right about the CG shift, but OTOH there's also the rocket exhaust blasting the nose downward. Also the fact that from the moment of the bird strike to ejection it lost a bunch of speed, which if it wasn't trimmed for, would have ended up nose heavy.

This is a perfect time to point to the Cornfield Bomber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber?wprov=sfla1 , a F-106 that was in an unrecoverable spin, but after the pilot ejected it recovered and glided down to a soft belly landing in a field. It suffered minimal damage which was repaired and the plane put back into service!

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 24, 2022

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

vessbot posted:

You're right about the CG shift, but OTOH there's also the rocket exhaust blasting the nose downward. Also the fact that from the moment of the bird strike to ejection it lost a bunch of speed, which if it wasn't trimmed for, would have ended up nose heavy.

This is a perfect time to point to the Cornfield Bomber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber?wprov=sfla1 , a F-106 that was in an unrecoverable spin, but after the pilot ejected it recovered and glided down to a soft belly landing in a field. It suffered minimal damage which was repaired and the plane put back into service!

Oh that makes perfect sense, of course the control surfaces are trimmed and hell there may even be some "on ejection" inputs to make it pitch down as part of the design.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

vessbot posted:

Also happened on the Armstrong Whitworth AW52 experimental flying wing, which during a test flight began suffering from uncontrollable and increasingly violent pitch oscillations. The pilot ejected (the first 'genuine' use of the Martin-Baker ejector seat) but the aircraft naturally recovered and glided to a landing with minimal damage in a field.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Am watching college football and just saw a "please come work for us" ad for PILOTS at Piedmont Airlines. Are the regionals just that hosed or is something else going on?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CarForumPoster posted:

When the engine stops running because it’s full of bird, the nose tends to drop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

Am watching college football and just saw a "please come work for us" ad for PILOTS at Piedmont Airlines. Are the regionals just that hosed or is something else going on?

Yes, they’re having to do things like 70%-100% or more pay increases

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/v9nj2w/significant_wage_bump_for_piedmont_guys/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

New vs old Mormon Air Force SkyWest tables:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
What does that mean in terms of annual income? That’s a good percentage, but are FOs earning a livable wage now?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

standard.deviant posted:

What does that mean in terms of annual income? That’s a good percentage, but are FOs earning a livable wage now?

rule of thumb is to multiply the hourly by 1000. so before, first year FOs were making high 40s and may soon be making drat near six figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

standard.deviant posted:

First year earnings are usually a little lower due to training pay (I'm not sure of the specifics at the LDSWaffe), but their second year, an FO would make about $84k.