Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

After a point in 00 Gundam it becomes less about feeling bad for Saji and more just wondering how they could possibly keep making his life worse.

Getting secret policed and sent to the space super-gulag only to be the target of killbots by your own captors is on par with getting thrown out of an airplane before being shot in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

After a point in 00 Gundam it becomes less about feeling bad for Saji and more just wondering how they could possibly keep making his life worse.

His super rich girlfriend could have lost both hands!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nuebot posted:

Saji grew on me, his reporter sister was cool. Though it was hilarious the way he and his girlfriend lost their poo poo over her losing a hand. That whole scene I was like "Yo, just put the ring on the other hand, the one she still has."

Her entire family also died violently and horribly and her entire life is irrevocably changed forever even discounting being maimed. She also has basically super cancer from red GN particle contamination, though they don't really go into that until S2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

Did the GN-X really just cluster together back to back in a circle and spin around really fast shooting wildly as a battle tactic? This show is amazing.

it's undefeatable

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

Her entire family also died violently and horribly and her entire life is irrevocably changed forever even discounting being maimed. She also has basically super cancer from red GN particle contamination, though they don't really go into that until S2.

Yeah I get the family part, that's a real bummer. But like, she did still have one good hand. Dude could have put that ring on the good hand. The focus on how she couldn't wear the ring made the whole scene funny to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's just a quick and snappy shorthand(:haw:) visual metaphor for how much things have changed and how they can't go back to the way they were.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I get the family part, that's a real bummer. But like, she did still have one good hand. Dude could have put that ring on the good hand. The focus on how she couldn't wear the ring made the whole scene funny to me.

I can see why she had her reaction because she seemed to outstretch her missing hand by reflex and immediately got in her feelings. Yeah Saji could have salvaged that entire situation by using the other hand but Saji is a little bit of a dope sometimes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MechaX posted:

I can see why she had her reaction because she seemed to outstretch her missing hand by reflex and immediately got in her feelings. Yeah Saji could have salvaged that entire situation by using the other hand but Saji is a little bit of a dope sometimes

Louise is also a girl that gets very specific about her desires and demands. If there was some reason she specifically wanted the ring on that hand (maybe cultural, I don't remember if the ring was special or just a ring), she wouldn't have emotionally demolished herself less by having to compromise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sam Sanskrit posted:

We also get a pretty solid implication that the Gundam that Corrin Nander fought was the Wing Gundam. So there is some stuff.

EDIT: Oh Tsob mentioned that. Well in any case I think it’s interesting that all the AU stuff seems to make the black history but I don’t think any of the non-Tomino UC stuff does which feels way more deliberate and pointed to me.

I always assumed that Corin was the Turn X's original pilot, and that the reason he freaked out about the Turn A in particular was because he had lost to it in the past and seen everything go to poo poo because of it. Which would neatly explain why he predates the Moonrace civilization, and also explain why he recognizes the smell of the Moonlight Butterfly in action in the last few episodes too. Plus, his admission that the Turn A is just a machine and Loran should be the one forming the future and not Gym in the final fight would have even more weight if he used to be the Turn X's pilot himself.

Yeah, I know the Wing Gundam's face appears for a few frames at one point, but I just can't see it as anything beyond a cute reference and Corin having some actual ties into the plot even if they're never expanded on just seems like a more likely scenario to me. Then again, I don't think the Black History (or at least, all the bits of AUs in there) is anything more than some references the audience can recognize in order to get across the idea that the history of UC/CC was a history of constant warfare. Banrise obviously wants to go a different direction with it though, regardless of what I think Tomino's intentions were.

Potsticker posted:

If you can date a pigeon you can date a z'gok.

This already sounds like a dating sim title.

Nuebot posted:

Did the GN-X really just cluster together back to back in a circle and spin around really fast shooting wildly as a battle tactic? This show is amazing.

You have pretty limited tactical options when you're flying in the air, since you can't use geography or the environment to your advantage anymore (well, beyond clouds perhaps). The Trinities had just unleashed some tiny remote weapons that could potentially snipe suits from unexpected angles, so circling the wagons to ensure someone has eyes on any and all angles isn't really a terrible call.

Cleretic posted:

Louise is also a girl that gets very specific about her desires and demands. If there was some reason she specifically wanted the ring on that hand (maybe cultural, I don't remember if the ring was special or just a ring), she wouldn't have emotionally demolished herself less by having to compromise.

After reading up on it quickly since I don't have the show to hand and haven't seen it in years, Louise apparently saw the rings in a shop window while out and about with Saji and asked him to buy them, which he refused because of the exorbitant price; before working extra hours to get them without her knowledge and then bringing them to Spain when he heard she'd been hurt. Which doesn't sound like they're of any particular significance but are basically a sign of their relationship in her mind from the sounds of it. Relationship rings are usually worn on the left hand in a lot of countries around the world, including Japan. Which includes promise rings, engagement rings and wedding rings and it sounds like the rings Saji got would fall under the umbrella of promise rings.

Apparently it dates back to Roman times looking up why out of curiosity, and a belief that the vein in the fourth finger of the left hand connected to your heart, so wedding rings were placed on that finger. It's not a concrete enough thing that you couldn't wear them on the right hand (it's the common practice in some places even), but as you say, Louise was a very demanding character who had very set ideas in her mind and if she'd been building up "I want this ring on this finger from this person" then him going "just put it on the other hand" isn't really going to soften the shock of "my entire family is dead and my body is irrevocably mutilated so I can't even have this thing I wanted anymore". I remember it as being pretty obvious she wanted to be alone in that scene to process her grief, and was pushing Saji away and that that's why they didn't see each other for years afterwards. So him pushing her to put it on the other hand presumably wouldn't have changed anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I always assumed that Corin was the Turn X's original pilot, and that the reason he freaked out about the Turn A in particular was because he had lost to it in the past and seen everything go to poo poo because of it. Which would neatly explain why he predates the Moonrace civilization, and also explain why he recognizes the smell of the Moonlight Butterfly in action in the last few episodes too. Plus, his admission that the Turn A is just a machine and Loran should be the one forming the future and not Gym in the final fight would have even more weight if he used to be the Turn X's pilot himself.

Yeah, I know the Wing Gundam's face appears for a few frames at one point, but I just can't see it as anything beyond a cute reference and Corin having some actual ties into the plot even if they're never expanded on just seems like a more likely scenario to me. Then again, I don't think the Black History (or at least, all the bits of AUs in there) is anything more than some references the audience can recognize in order to get across the idea that the history of UC/CC was a history of constant warfare. Banrise obviously wants to go a different direction with it though, regardless of what I think Tomino's intentions were.

So, what we actually see in the show is irrelevant, but your completely imagined backstory with no evidence in the show is key to understanding what really happened. Fascinating.

But what was Tomino's plan for when people didn't have you in the room with them to explain that they needed to ignore the visuals?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

So, what we actually see in the show is irrelevant, but your completely imagined backstory with no evidence in the show is key to understanding what really happened. Fascinating.

But what was Tomino's plan for when people didn't have you in the room with them to explain that they needed to ignore the visuals?

Well, putting aside that there is evidence in the show, what with Corin specifically freaking out at the Turn A's face (which has very little in common with the Wing Gundam's face) and talking about how he recognizes the ionic smell of the Moonlight Butterfly, I never stated that anyone else should take it as anything concrete in the first place. So "my plan" was: don't take my interpretation as indication of anything if you don't like it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 19, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Schwarz Bruder is so fuckin' dumb and I love him

I love this weird German clown ninja that wears a full Mission Impossible mask over his actual mask that covers his lips

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Waffleman_ posted:

I love this weird German clown ninja that wears a full Mission Impossible mask over his actual mask that covers his lips

he gets better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The mask was there in the first place to cover up his shocking secret.

Schwaz Bruder... has a mustache!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/SciTechDaily1/status/1567007065146638336

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
If their souls are still weighed down by gravity what's even the point?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Started watching Build Fighters, pretty fun and a very funky soundtrack. I wish to know more about Sei's magic friend.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You laugh, but the number of times my partner and I have had the exact same reaction to something, either immediately or hours apart, despite being separated by a loving ocean, makes me think there's some truth to this. :tinfoil:

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

If it happens because of video games that makes them cyber nutypes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dynamite Dog posted:

If it happens because of video games that makes them cyber nutypes

oh no

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/toweling3/status/1572045286301900800?s=20&t=FzLstJ9YyhbXNyQs6BMllQ

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Zaku Amazing is a pretty cool build.

Also seriously what is up with Reiji lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ibblebibble posted:

This is the Reiji spoiler, do not read if you don't want to be spoiled on Reiji's whole dea
they don't really get into it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...twitter_q4-2022

Witch from Mercury will be streaming on Crunchyroll, which was expected. I think they might also be putting it on GundamINFO

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ew, Crunchyroll

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hey, that probably means Hulu too.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Technowolf posted:

Ew, Crunchyroll
it all ends up on nyaa, so

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibblebibble posted:

It's a cool build, but cant hold its rifle well and poses like a brick, sadly.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fair, I haven't got the gunpla for myself but I'll keep that in mind if I ever consider it. I was mostly talking about the in-universe one.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a cool build, but cant hold its rifle well and poses like a brick, sadly.

It's based on the original HGUC Char's Zaku II, correct? A shame honestly, I'd love a version based on the recent Revive kit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Gundam Evolution is out now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gundam evo ftw

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Still listed as unavailable here. Won't even let me view the store page :bang:

Is this because Steam doesn't allow split release dates? So as a stopgap Bandai just delisted it in countries outside the release window?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you're in Oceania, the game straight up isn't available there yet, yeah

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That loving sucks, I really hope we get it eventually. It also not coming out in Belgium makes me worried that it's due to anti-gambling legislation or some similar bullshit. Doesn't explain why South America got left out though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Downloaded Gundam EVO to give it a shot, but lol won't have the time tot ry it out until maybe tonight. Work work work.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Toy Galaxy just dropped a retrospective on G Gundam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZSCntQjcA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/rarata6o/status/1573275704703291393?s=20&t=ZfBA7IJ8S-YkEwXIpd8xHA

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Toy Galaxy just dropped a retrospective on G Gundam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZSCntQjcA

This is interesting. I don't usually watch YT videos like this but I'd love to see one on Wing if anybody knows of any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

This is interesting. I don't usually watch YT videos like this but I'd love to see one on Wing if anybody knows of any.

You're in luck, then.