Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

The fox rules

yeah

beats all nervous systems and the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Happy Hobbit Day thread.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s nothing particularly modern or weird about the fox that thinks to itself. Intelligent/unusually chatty animal is an authentic folklore motif and animals are (kind of) people in Tolkien’s writings as a whole. Huan or his fail-descendant Garm of Ham or whatever. In The Hobbit they hold multiple long and elaborate conversations with straight-up birds.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i did not say it was bad, just that he put anachronisms into his own work, so he would not have a strong case about using a colloquial phrase. if anything as a linguist he would appreciate it since such things are a part of language most linguists enjoy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
An express train in middle earth must be a very fast wagon pulled by a maeras

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tolkien was a philologist

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Besides, all the anachronisms in the film pale in comparison to Eomer’s sweet ride

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't you want a sweet van with a rack for your spears?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i want an early third age tv show showing the great plague and the balchoth war

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well you're getting the tale of Helm Hammerhand in the anime movie "War of the Rohirrim" that's coming out in 2023. So replace Balchoth with Dunland and presumably a lot of questionable CGI if Kenji Kamiyama's last few CGI anime (Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 and Blade Runner Black Lotus) are to go by.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

Wouldn't you want a sweet van with a rack for your spears?

What the hell do people who actually know wizards and barbarians airbrush on the side of their van, anyway?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Edgar from Accounting

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phy posted:

What the hell do people who actually know wizards and barbarians airbrush on the side of their van, anyway?

Related:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phy posted:

Tigers.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AJA posted:

'Menu' is icky French, he absolutely would not.

"menu" is a Khuzdul word that Tolkien himself coined

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dwarves would be so much better with thick french accents

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

AJA posted:

Stop ruining my cul-de-sac joke :colbert:

That is actually what Bag End is called in the French translation (at least the old one, I haven't read the supposedly better new one).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1573049349432434688?s=20&t=9WbiHB3P_rMpQuJpGDpjgg

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mameluke posted:

"menu" is a Khuzdul word that Tolkien himself coined

so the orc said that "Looks like meat is back upon you boys!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Arc Hammer posted:

Well you're getting the tale of Helm Hammerhand in the anime movie "War of the Rohirrim" that's coming out in 2023. So replace Balchoth with Dunland and presumably a lot of questionable CGI if Kenji Kamiyama's last few CGI anime (Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 and Blade Runner Black Lotus) are to go by.

I hope they don't clean up the cannibalism.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/MiddleEarthMixr/status/1572598880633589760?s=20&t=84ipFW5-o_Qm0xmS2FasXg

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I remember that cover. I picked The Hobbit out of the school library in fifth grade, not knowing what it was. This was the cover. Set me onto a life of being a dork.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

feels accurate to bilbo at least

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He does look more like a grocer than a burglar

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1573120698222284801

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Zoom in on that cover and look at the face.

Looks exactly like Rickey Gervais.

Bilbo Brent!

"We're like one big organism, yeah? The wizard, he's the mouth. The dwarves, the hands. I'm probably the humour."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

new Mills & Boon series lookin good

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Ginette Reno posted:

I remember that cover. I picked The Hobbit out of the school library in fifth grade, not knowing what it was. This was the cover. Set me onto a life of being a dork.

Me exactly except I think I was a 7th grader. I bought those editions and read them so many times the bindings fell apart. Just seeing those is a huuuuge nostalgia hit for me.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phy posted:

Posted, like, a year ago, but I like it too much not to post again.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

it's v good

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

i wonder if they'll give dunlednings irish accent

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ChubbyChecker posted:

i wonder if they'll give dunlednings irish accent

Bro, come on. 50% welsh + 50% irish = rural england

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Hell. Yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never seen the extended hobbit films and after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBhEFp93Lc

I think I made the right call.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never seen the extended hobbit films and after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBhEFp93Lc

I think I made the right call.

Lol @ Gandalf, it's like PJ was trying to literally follow Bored of the Rings where Goodgulf is frantically striking sparks off the walls and floor and trying to get his staff to light up fitfully

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That clip is actually offensive. What was PJ thinking with this slapstick poo poo

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

My main complaint with the LotR trilogy was that PJ’s cinematic language is closer to Sam Raimi’s splatter horror camerawork than prestige cinema. It clashes with the script fairly often.

So, I guess it’s not surprising that he eventually started making scenes that would be pretty cool if they were in an Army of Darkness movie. Sadly, they’re in The Hobbit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually really like his splatter fest approach to action scenes but they only work if you're using actual people and copious squibs. The bloom and the total CGI-ness of that Hobbit scene kills it.

Like, the fight in Balin's Tomb is taken right from the lawnmower scene in Braindead and it's great. Amon Hen is spectacular. But the more the CGI takes over the less impact the fights have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MrMojok posted:

That clip is actually offensive. What was PJ thinking with this slapstick poo poo

“Look. The production is totally hosed and everyone involved is out of a job unless you come in and save it. You have less than one year for pre production and one year for production so first film needs to be out in 2 years and the sequel the next year. God speed”

*fast forward half a year*

“Hey Peter yeah. That duology? Yeah it’s a trilogy now. No, each movie needs to still be around 180 minutes long. Figure it out.”

That’s why