Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with /net, but only because I spent a few years as a solaris admin. I don't think the mountpoint ever made it into Linux other than distros by people who expected it
So you're saying Linux doesn't use autofs? Because I find that even more questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Of course linux has autofs, why would you suggest that?

/net appears in the default auto.master config file but it's unlikely anyone uses it. I assume everyone empties out that file and does their own config.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

So you're saying Linux doesn't use autofs? Because I find that even more questionable.

Do you think that /net is so integral to autofs that it simply won't run without that arbitrary dir?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

Of course linux has autofs, why would you suggest that?

/net appears in the default auto.master config file but it's unlikely anyone uses it. I assume everyone empties out that file and does their own config.

RFC2324 posted:

Do you think that /net is so integral to autofs that it simply won't run without that arbitrary dir?
So you wouldn't see /net in auto.master, and be curious about it, then go find out what it does?
Because I'm pretty sure that's how I learned about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's irrelevant and changing the subject for no reason.

The point is no one uses /net and hasn't for a long time. Its default behavior in auto.master calls back to a mode of thinking in IT that's been dead for 20+ years. No one with any sense is populating a file with hosts to scrape exports from and make them available as mounts.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

The point is no one uses /net and hasn't for a long time. Its default behavior in auto.master calls back to a mode of thinking in IT that's been dead for 20+ years. No one with any sense is populating a file with hosts to scrape exports from and make them available as mounts.
It's a map file, not a list of hosts. It contains folders relative to /net, mount directives, and the host.tld:/path/to/mountpoint.

The -hosts directive queries the server and maps everything exported.

NFS is old, but it post-dates UUCP. :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

I've never even heard of using it this way. Auto.fs now is just used as "if someone accesses /opt/foo then mount bar:/export/foo"

Which is super useful, but doesn't require /net unless you map something to /net for some reason

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Linux Thread: PYF Mount Points and Assorted Options

IMO do whatever you want but also try and understand conventions (community / workplace / whatever) if your ever gonna work with other people.

If not gently caress it mount it under /sys/butts what could go wrong

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 21, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Most of my nfs mounts actually go under /opt, just because the nature of what they are means thats where it makes sense to put them(all my custom scripts and non-package manager apps go there)

I kinda want to spin up a vm to play with autofs scanning for mount points tho, that might be a fun way to kill an hour

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The only morally correct way to use /net is as an automount populated via NIS+.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I can't help but think it would be more efficient to just write a quick oneliner that interrogates the remote system and then mounts the output

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or use a modern configuration management tool to explicitly mount it on machines that need it.

If we're talking a home lan, sure, do whatever seems fun. But in a work environment please don't let the system itself determine what network shares are available.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

RFC2324 posted:

I can't help but think it would be more efficient to just write a quick oneliner that interrogates the remote system and then mounts the output

isn't this literally what /net does? it's a shell script that looks at the exports of a hostname and mounts the export it if one matches.

(i use /net and on Linux FWIW)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Voodoo Cafe posted:

isn't this literally what /net does? it's a shell script that looks at the exports of a hostname and mounts the export it if one matches.

(i use /net and on Linux FWIW)

I don't know, I have conducted most of this conversation from the bathtub, and have never looked closely at it before

xzzy posted:

Or use a modern configuration management tool to explicitly mount it on machines that need it.

If we're talking a home lan, sure, do whatever seems fun. But in a work environment please don't let the system itself determine what network shares are available.

Well, yes, playing with ancient tech like this is absolutely not a thing to do in production, any more than installing that distro that deletes itself if you typo a command. Its just good dumb fun

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I don't know, I have conducted most of this conversation from the bathtub, and have never looked closely at it before
Now THATS what I call posting!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Now THATS what I call posting!

e: noticed it was huge

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 21, 2022

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Sometimes when booting I'll get this error message

I tried to determine which USB device this relates to but can't find a correlation

In general there is something "off" with my USB ports for lack of a better description. When I land on the login screen for Linux Mint, it can sometimes take up to two minutes for my keyboard and mouse to respond and any other USB devices to respond. It's like it's hanging looking for something that it can't find. Any ideas how to further diagnose?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shofixti posted:

I tried to determine which USB device this relates to but can't find a correlation

In general there is something "off" with my USB ports for lack of a better description. When I land on the login screen for Linux Mint, it can sometimes take up to two minutes for my keyboard and mouse to respond and any other USB devices to respond. It's like it's hanging looking for something that it can't find. Any ideas how to further diagnose?

lsusb -vvv will give you a ton more info, but it sounds like a bad port thats generating a bunch of noise on the USB bus

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Possibly also some peripheral that the kernel is interrogating as the wrong type of device. Usually this is what custom udev rules help with, try and narrow down if its a specific device causing it or the hub in general.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shofixti posted:

lsusb -t will display the bus topology, including port numbers

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Do the lsusb command variants to find out more about which device it is, like the others said.

But, if it is uncorrelated and especially if the message appears with nothing plugged in: the broken thing is the hub.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Had to share this link (sorry for the shitpost): https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/systemd-support-is-now-available-in-wsl/

systemd in WSL as sponsored by Microsoft and Ubuntu is sure to get some greybeards in a tizzy.

Personally I think it's neat. Nice to be able to have WSL be more like a proper dev environment.

Edit: I still think snap as used by Ubuntu is very dumb.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 22, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Got that as a push notification earlier - looks like it's only available for Windows 11, so I will sit here booing from the rafters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think most of the anti-systemd greybeards have died off or quietly accepted it works fine because I don't see nearly as many complaints anymore.

Yeah it's not perfect and the lead developer is a jerk but that's SOP for linux.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There are still idiotic issues with it, but we've mostly gotten used to them now :v:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

xzzy posted:

I think most of the anti-systemd greybeards have died off or quietly accepted it works fine because I don't see nearly as many complaints anymore.

Yeah it's not perfect and the lead developer is a jerk but that's SOP for linux.

They still crop up but they've mostly sequestered themselves in the couple distros that never switched (or give you the option of using a different init system).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wibla posted:

There are still idiotic issues with it, but we've mostly gotten used to them now :v:

Better than the idiotic issues with sysvinit

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

waffle iron posted:

Had to share this link (sorry for the shitpost): https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/systemd-support-is-now-available-in-wsl/

systemd in WSL as sponsored by Microsoft and Ubuntu is sure to get some greybeards in a tizzy.

Personally I think it's neat. Nice to be able to have WSL be more like a proper dev environment.

Edit: I still think snap as used by Ubuntu is very dumb.

WSL is still an absolute nightmare though. On my work machine it loses any internet connectivity if I put it on v2. Switching to v1 instantly makes it work again.

A “workaround” is sharing the internet connection, which gives WSL a private ip address. You can add another IP to a network interface, replace the default route and add a public dns server. Of course the network sharing in Windows isn’t persistent and scripting the rest (including docker sock) hasn’t been giving consistent results either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been using WSL2 as my primary work from home linux interface for over a year now and have had zero issues. It's a better posix interface than OSX at this point because it handles X forwarding without having to install a separate X server (though this is W11 specific). Also no screwing with homebrew or macports, it's just a normal linux distro.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

WSL is still an absolute nightmare though. On my work machine it loses any internet connectivity if I put it on v2. Switching to v1 instantly makes it work again.

A “workaround” is sharing the internet connection, which gives WSL a private ip address. You can add another IP to a network interface, replace the default route and add a public dns server. Of course the network sharing in Windows isn’t persistent and scripting the rest (including docker sock) hasn’t been giving consistent results either.

Is this due to having a VPN client on your work machine? I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this stuff, but that's what I noticed. VPN connection enabled, no network. VPN connection disabled, network works fine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

it handles X forwarding without having to install a separate X server (though this is W11 specific)

My booing from the rafters intensifying about this.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Internet Explorer posted:

Is this due to having a VPN client on your work machine? I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this stuff, but that's what I noticed. VPN connection enabled, no network. VPN connection disabled, network works fine.
I think we had a problem for a bit here with WSL wanting to use one specific subnet in the 172.10.x.x range for its internal NAT - never mind that it was the same subnet the windows PC itself was using.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My WSL has some group policy conflict that results in my having to reboot my machine to get back in. It’s horribly annoying, but only happens every few weeks. I’m torn b/t leaving good enough alone or bringing it up to support/security and risk reminding that it exists and having to use fukkin cigwin or the git bash prompt like some kind of pervert.

Blue Waffles
Mar 18, 2008

セイバー
Hi folks, I were redirected here from the linux gaming thread! I were looking into making the switch from windows to linux but I ran into an issue I cannot seem to resolve no matter the distro I try.

The issue I am experiencing is that when using my headset which is a regular 3.5mm jack in either the front panel or back panel I do not get sound in them, the microphone on it also does not work which has a separate 3.5mm jack. I know it works in windows, I also know the back panel works as linux have no issues with my logitech 5.1 system.

When I plug in my headset it seems to somewhat detect it but it will still push stereo trough to my 5.1 system even if I have changed to the headset option. I have tried to search for this issue but noone seems to experience it the same and I cannot find a remedy that helps.

I am still somewhat new and this is the command someone in that thread said I should run. Any help is much appreciated!

This is my inxi -bA:

quote:

System:
Kernel: 5.15.48-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.25.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: B560 AORUS PRO AX v: -CF

Mobo: Gigabyte model: B560 AORUS PRO AX
UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: F9 date: 03/25/2022
CPU:
Info: 6-core 11th Gen Intel Core i5-11400F [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 800
min/max: 800/4400
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GA104 [GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Lite Hash Rate] driver: nvidia
v: 515.48.07
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
gpu: nvidia resolution: 3840x2160~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: NVIDIA GA104 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-3: Giga-Byte USB Audio type: USB
driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.48-1-MANJARO running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.57 running: yes
Network:
Device-1: Intel Ethernet I225-V driver: igc
Device-2: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi
Device-3: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: xpad

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Pulseaudio sometimes mutes the underlying device in ways that don't show up in the interface. Muting and unmuting and then changing the volume tends to fix that if that is it.

So you are saying that you get no sound from the headset, but get sound from a differnt device that normall goes into the same port?

You can also check "pactl list sinks", and maybe compare it between when your device is plugged in and if it is not.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blue Waffles posted:

Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.48-1-MANJARO running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.57 running: yes

Hmmm, this may mean that you have both pipewire and pulseaudio installed at the same time (bad). Or just that pipewire's pulse compatibility was loaded when you ran inxi, because you were playing audio from something that wanted pulse at the time (fine and normal).

Can you do pacman -Qs pulseaudio and paste that?

OTOH that is gonna be a minor problem compared to:

Blue Waffles posted:

Mobo: Gigabyte model: B560 AORUS PRO AX
Device-3: Giga-Byte USB Audio type: USB

Hooooo kay, the actual audio component on the mobo is a Realtek ALC4080, which is brand new and giving people horrible problems everywhere. (even on windows!)

It's on the USB bus rather than PCIe, thus why it's labeled "Giga-Byte USB Audio". But it's not a standard UAC1/2 device, and still under active development to support each mobo because I guess each one can be slightly different? So you may be kinda hosed for a little while until support improves.

OTOH your Logitech 5.1 speakers are connected via analog so the rear panel audio apparently works fine. And you said in the other thread that the speakers have a headphone output that you can plug your headset into. Have you tried the rear panel mic input with the headset? If that works then the only major problem is the front panel -- due to no specific support for that mobo yet.

So what I'd do in that situation is get a extension audio cable so that you can plug the headset into the speakers and the back panel mic input at the same time.

Realtek: you touch the Crab, you get the Pinch

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there something that can print out all the currently defined bash functions? Similar to how alias with no args prints all the aliases

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Is there something that can print out all the currently defined bash functions? Similar to how alias with no args prints all the aliases

Given the fact that bash functions behave like normal programs (that is, you can return status code, or echo some string, not return an object or crazy stuff like that) I wouldn't be surprised if bash has no idea about "functions". If you "source" a shell that has functions defined, they'd just show up on auto completion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Is there something in particular you're trying to achieve?

Searching your initial request suggests that

typeset -f
typeset -F

or

declare -f
declare -F

will do what you're asking, but it seems you're looking for something more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Is there something in particular you're trying to achieve?

Searching your initial request suggests that

typeset -f
typeset -F

or

declare -f
declare -F

will do what you're asking, but it seems you're looking for something more specific?

Those do exactly what I'm asking, thank you