Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

super mario bros 93 owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haha what posted:

super mario bros 93 owns

Agreed

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only better movie from my childhood was the original TMNT film.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

haha what posted:

super mario bros 93 owns

it's so loving weird for a Mario Bros movie; I love it

postapocalyptic megacity 1 Bladerunner-rear end plumber-comedy movie with John Leguizamo performing alongside a very drunk Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins

it's a beautiful mess

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a rumor that the Mario movie completely bombed with test audiences.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo is going to go back to being extremely protective of their I.P. and not licensing it out ever again if this movie bombs hard. That is what they originally did in response to the live action movie, and it took decades before they were comfortable again with allowing others to use Mario.

Nintendo actually semi-recently bought an animation studio and rebranded it as Nintendo Pictures, so I think they might do future projects in-house, so to say.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's gonna be really boring

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What Nintendo franchises would you like to see made into movies? I would personally like a pokemon movie

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

What Nintendo franchises would you like to see made into movies? I would personally like a pokemon movie

Mario Party

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

my unironic answer is Chibi Robo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo is going to go back to being extremely protective of their I.P. and not licensing it out ever again if this movie bombs hard. That is what they originally did in response to the live action movie, and it took decades before they were comfortable again with allowing others to use Mario.

They went ahead with the Mario movie after Netflix completely hosed up the Zelda cartoon

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Monkey Fracas posted:

postapocalyptic megacity 1 Bladerunner-rear end plumber-comedy movie with John Leguizamo performing alongside a very drunk Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins

it's a beautiful mess

Didn't that movie almost kill Bob Hoskins

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jay Rust posted:

Stop motion Pikmin.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

They went ahead with the Mario movie after Netflix completely hosed up the Zelda cartoon

What even happened to that?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The 7th Guest posted:

my unironic answer is Chibi Robo

Imagine a Chibi Robo movie done in the style of the Nyanbo show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmj5sN_aU4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Electric Phantasm posted:

What even happened to that?

Netflix leaked that they were in talks to produce a Zelda cartoon before Nintendo wanted it to be talked about in public, and Nintendo was so upset at that they canceled the project

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol fuckin nerds

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gripweed posted:

Netflix leaked that they were in talks to produce a Zelda cartoon before Nintendo wanted it to be talked about in public, and Nintendo was so upset at that they canceled the project

Mistakes into miracles

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

They also cancelled an unrelated Star Fox adaptation because of it that had nothing to do with Netflix and was never even leaked.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

There's a rumor that the Mario movie completely bombed with test audiences.

That would line up with the 1 year delay it got.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
how is no one on this dead gay forum talking about Arcade Paradise? disgusting

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

it's a beautiful mess

Hopper seemed like one of the few people on set that looked like they were actually having fun doing the movie (especially his “Monkey!” line)

rox
Sep 7, 2016

John Romero posted:

im always comically behind on releases so i hadnt seen it. looks pretty neat! have u been playing it?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

AUGH

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

John Romero posted:

so talk about it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

so talk about it

it’s good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

none

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i named my horse Sprinkles in Roadwarden

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe in October we should only be allowed to talk about indie games to shine a light on gems that may have been overlooked by our fellow gamers :blush:

lmao jk it's halloween :ghost:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is no one talking about elden ring? It's goty material

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I play a game where I have to name a horse, it's always really easy for me

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

Why is no one talking about elden ring? It's goty material

pretty sure it came out last year

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

The phase 4 Captain Toad Treasure Tracker TV show streaming on Nintendo+

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jay Rust posted:

Tetris

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gripweed posted:

it was reportedly a live-action project (no idea who would have actually made it, though, since this was back before Netflix had in-house studios). If the leak actually was Nintendo's reason for cancelling the project, grain of salt, that was extremely dumb - projects leak all the time in Hollywood; if you want to work with Hollywood, you need to accept giving up some degree of control as to when word gets out about unannounced projects.

It seems pretty clear that Nintendo is still very conservative when it comes to these sorts of partnerships, though; iirc, Iwata started the initiative to expand licensing of Nintendo IP into non-game media in 2015, and the only projects to come of that in that time are the Universal parks deal and the Mario movie. Those aren't small things, of course, but a less conservative company would probably have struck significantly more than two major deals in the span of seven years.

anyway, part of me is still surprised that the Mario movie is going to see release. Up until the point last year where Nintendo appointed Chris Meledandri to its board of directors, I was expecting to hear any day that they had parted ways with Illumination due to "creative differences"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Video games are the ultimate visual medium turning them into movies or TV shows only degrades their quality

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The new Mario movie was destined to crash and burn; no-one wants to watch 90 minutes of a milquetoast plumber with the character depth of Mickey Mouse

Now the Duke Nukem movie, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jerma turned 37 :toot: