Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Shortest Path posted:

It has cards which literally are not and can not be Magic cards by nature of how the game works. It isn't an "awful take", it's just a fact.

there are formats on arena that do not have those cards and the client having those cards doesn't make the entire thing suddenly not magic the gathering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Why isnt this legal, its a cool effect

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mandatory lesbian posted:

iirc maro said there's a few acorned cards in the set that don't work in the rules as written but could possibly be templated to be legal, but are acorn for power level

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ilmucche posted:

this set has some good humour.

Some absolutely fantastic flavor text in this set, especially on the attractions.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Yeah it's pretty neat. Human guest is an interesting creature type

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What’s everyone even arguing about.

You know how in a lot of RPGs there are problems with the game that people just houserule? So, when you try to play with a group that isn't your normal group, they're playing a different game from the one you and your friends are, because they don't have that house rule and many of the expectations are different? And when the problem is brought up to the designers, they try to handwave away those problems by saying "Your GM can fix it" or "We're putting the power back in the hands of the players", when all they're really doing is exposing their laziness and/or inability to curate the sort of game experience they intend to have?

That's Commander and Rule Zero.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Framboise posted:

WHY IS THIS NOT LEGAL :(

Tokens don't play well with hidden zones. Eespecially now that wotc is packaging tokens in the set.
And also not all untokens are card-like objects. (Animate Object is in this set right?)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So this is the one that has broken the set for me. It’s an acorn card… with partner. So it’s not legal in commander, but is designed as if it is to be played in commander. That means they are aware that people will play these cards in edh if they really want to do they can design cards however they want…

So why make these cards eternal legal at all? If people want to play them they will play them, you just admitted to it. Why open up the can of worms and piss off the legacy/pauper crowd?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A few of the usual dipshit morons are screaming about commander again despite never playing it, business as usual for the Magic thread.

It has cards which literally are not and can not be Magic cards by nature of how the game works. It isn't an "awful take", it's just a fact.

There isn't an :ironicat: big enough for this lmao.

I was a judge in the early 2000s, I assure you I've played commander. One of the funniest decks I saw, someone had "Krark" as their commander, before an actual Krark card was printed. It was both of the Krark Thumbs and played a bunch of red dice and coin flip cards. Watching him sweating puse Kiki-Jiki and Goblin Bookie to turn Fiery Gambit our Goblin Bomb into a game of Yahtzee was fun. No, he did not play Chance Encounter because that was not fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lone Goat posted:

There isn't an :ironicat: big enough for this lmao.

I was a judge in the early 2000s, I assure you I've played commander. One of the funniest decks I saw, someone had "Krark" as their commander, before an actual Krark card was printed. It was both of the Krark Thumbs and played a bunch of red dice and coin flip cards. Watching him sweating puse Kiki-Jiki and Goblin Bookie to turn Fiery Gambit our Goblin Bomb into a game of Yahtzee was fun. No, he did not play Chance Encounter because that was not fun.

That does sound pretty good

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

People take this hobby way too seriusly.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hammer time doesn't need the help

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

You know how in a lot of RPGs there are problems with the game that people just houserule? So, when you try to play with a group that isn't your normal group, they're playing a different game from the one you and your friends are, because they don't have that house rule and many of the expectations are different? And when the problem is brought up to the designers, they try to handwave away those problems by saying "Your GM can fix it" or "We're putting the power back in the hands of the players", when all they're really doing is exposing their laziness and/or inability to curate the sort of game experience they intend to have?

That's Commander and Rule Zero.

Nah it's not really like this at all. Rule zero exists because lots of playgroups have vastly different intentions for how Commander "should" be played that are fundamentally incompatible with each other and there is no solid rules solution for that short of making a bunch of different formats for a variety of playstyles, which would be horrible for everyone. So you talk to people before you play with them to make sure everyone is on the same wavelength.

E: And that way if someone wants to do something weird that's not really supported by the rules like play an acorn/silver-bordered card in their deck or as their commander, if the other players are fine with it then they can do that without having to have the comprehensive rules of magic the gathering account for every weird un-set corner case thing.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 22, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Talk? To people? Like... in person?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Paul Zuvella posted:

So this is the one that has broken the set for me. It’s an acorn card… with partner. So it’s not legal in commander, but is designed as if it is to be played in commander. That means they are aware that people will play these cards in edh if they really want to do they can design cards however they want…

So why make these cards eternal legal at all? If people want to play them they will play them, you just admitted to it. Why open up the can of worms and piss off the legacy/pauper crowd?

it's pretty simple imo

people are treating the eternal legal cards as if the set was made with making a bunch of silly eternal legal cards in mind, instead of them making the set and then nearing the end of design having the idea to make a bunch of them eternal legal (with few if any tweaks to some of them)

they've always made some silver border cards with the intent of people sticking them in constructed decks somewhere, even before commander existed. that doesn't stop just because some other cards in the set are actually legal

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

It’s pretty simple, including eternal-legal cards will drive sales.

Wizards does not care about pissing off pauper or eternal players by introducing new cards to their pool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you’re an eternal player and these cards piss you off you’re just looking for reasons to get mad lol. Nobody is going to take any of these to tournaments, and if they do and you match against them you should be thrilled because you’re almost assuredly going to win for free.

Making some percentage of the cards legal in normal commander benefits a small group of people and basically has no impact on anyone else.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 22, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

:aloom:

Threads wild today.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

If you’re an eternal player and these cards piss you off you’re just looking for reasons to get mad lol. Nobody is going to take any of these to tournaments, and if they do and you match against them you should be thrilled because you’re almost assuredly going to win for free.

Making some percentage of the cards legal in normal commander benefits a small group of people and basically has no impact on anyone else.

The Dog is coming.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

The Dog is coming.

Good! He’s cute.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Like most Un cards, just wait a few years and it'll get a legal reskin in some set

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jiro posted:

Like most Un cards, just wait a few years and it'll get a legal reskin in some set

Like most un cards or like...one un card (CSA and Barren Glory?)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Like most un cards or like...one un card (CSA and Barren Glory?)

Look at Me, I'm the DCI
Rocket Powered Turbo Slug
Hungry Hungry Heffer
EMcee

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Wait until you guys hear about putting actual silver border cards in commander decks. When I was in high school, we allowed Ashnod's Coupon. Also any other silver bordered card, but that was the only one anyone wanted to try. It was pretty funny when someone went infinite with it and asked for infinite glasses of water, so we all had to concede because we did not want to do that, and we figured he deserved the win.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Look at Me, I'm the DCI
Rocket Powered Turbo Slug
Hungry Hungry Heffer
EMcee

These have reskins?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

These have reskins?

Cranial Extraction, Chisei Heart of Oceans, The Pact cycle.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's nothing stopping anyone from Rule 0'ing the acorn cards in so long as your pod's cool with it, just as no one was being stopped from playing gold or silver border cards. It's just not allowed per official rules, which a lot of LGSs adhere to for more organized play, and building a deck around otherwise illegal cards kinda sucks to bring in to play with people at an LGS (who aren't in your typical playgroup) as they may not be cool with those.

Making most of the acorn cards legal by default in commander would just lead to a lot of confusing situations because of how they work though-- just as I had said I wanted the card that turned tokens into cards that didn't leave play to be legal, it's a valid argument that having them go into hidden zones would lead to confusion and memory issues.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Infernal Spawn of the Infernal Spawn of Evil -> Panglcial Wurm
Snot+Augment = Mutate

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Cranial Extraction, Chisei Heart of Oceans, The Pact cycle.

I get what you're saying, but a lot of these have some fundamental differences from the original Un card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I get what you're saying, but a lot of these have some fundamental differences from the original Un card.

Steamflogger Boss :colbert:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Nah it's not really like this at all. Rule zero exists because lots of playgroups have vastly different intentions for how Commander "should" be played that are fundamentally incompatible with each other and there is no solid rules solution for that short of making a bunch of different formats for a variety of playstyles, which would be horrible for everyone. So you talk to people before you play with them to make sure everyone is on the same wavelength.

E: And that way if someone wants to do something weird that's not really supported by the rules like play an acorn/silver-bordered card in their deck or as their commander, if the other players are fine with it then they can do that without having to have the comprehensive rules of magic the gathering account for every weird un-set corner case thing.

So... it's not really at all like what I said, it's just that the format doesn't have a clear understanding of how it should be played dictated by the creators, and requires agreeing to home brew rules with the players to work for different groups? :thunk:

Curious how rolling up to the Tier1Con cEDH event next year with my Grand Calcutron deck is going to go. It'll be cool if I talk to the organizers about how I really want to play it, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rule 0 is supplemental, not foundational.

Children understand this.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

So... it's not really at all like what I said, it's just that the format doesn't have a clear understanding of how it should be played dictated by the creators, and requires agreeing to home brew rules with the players to work for different groups? :thunk:

Curious how rolling up to the Tier1Con cEDH event next year with my Grand Calcutron deck is going to go. It'll be cool if I talk to the organizers about how I really want to play it, right?

cEDH is a subgroup of players that has already had the rule 0 conversation and explicitly outlined how games within that group are intended to be played. This isnt some gotcha.

Also if you go to any group, sanctioned play or not, and say "can I play this weird thing outside of the rules" and they all say no, you cannot do that. That's true of pretty much anything in life, please do not act like basic social interactions are some kind of weird thing that don't apply to this specific card game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I was playing a tournament for money and I was allowed to let my opponent play a lovely UW commander you bet I'd let them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

...what

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

#engagement

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Okay so it doesn't specify that the reply has to be from someone other than yourself, which kind of breaks it. But otherwise it's pretty funny and I like the idea.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pose like a farmer and pray someone wishes you a swords to plowshares. I hope they have some social media intern on release weekend just searching twitter for the tag to help out.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

If I was playing a tournament for money and I was allowed to let my opponent play a lovely UW commander you bet I'd let them.

Magic 30 cosplay contest prize should just be this card.

What card are they acting out here? I thought it was Contortionist Troupe but that's not quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
You dolts of course I’m a sol ring