Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Big Bazinga Energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Alhazred posted:

It is said that general Xiang Yu captured Liu Bang's father and threatened to cook him into soup. Liu Bang's response was "send me a cup when it's done".

yogi berra rear end emperor

e: oh I read that as saying that about a cup of his own soup lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

okay so what's up with all the cannibalism in chinese classics?

to hazard a guess it's a literary device to show that some dude was so loyal to the cause that he was willing to do the otherwise unthinkable

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

[quote="Tulip" post="526442138"]
I really think of the peak Liu Bei moment is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQPFWWHyMU

This was such a good series, highly recommend this version
Reading the book is a lot easier once you can assign some faces.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bedpan posted:

In Britain, the mechanisms put in place to raise enough silver to pay danegeld was immediately converted into regular taxation once the danes took their money and departed

Yeah once the crusades ended the crusade tax kept going

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

Keeping the tax rates of the jizya in place after successfully Reconquisting a region of Al Andulus is a real King Chad move.

i read that religious authorities bent on conversion were feuding with treasury officials because the tax on non-Muslims was very lucrative

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/NPosegay/status/1573012159394729986

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

people taste good

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
there is some cannibalistic episodes in Water margin, but to me they seem mostly to be horror stories about what can happen to travelers on the road. and then there is that one time when they want song jiangs liver to make soup that cures hangovers, and i mean, fair enough

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Menander has good tastes in women

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perikeiromene

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1576425338833207296

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

all right fine the highbrow content cspam really craves

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

All this time I have been giving it away for free. :negative:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the chrismas fartere

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Not to discount the farteur but this is also cool. Interesting lambda shape on the anchor.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There was a norse ruler who was called Eystein the Fart.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPLiT1kCSM

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

all right fine the highbrow content cspam really craves

Jazerus posted:

the chrismas fartere

lol @ everyone gathering in the main hall of a castle to watch a guy rip rear end once a year

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol @ everyone gathering in the main hall of a castle to watch a guy rip rear end once a year

Just how loving bored people were before internet?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fish of hemp posted:

Just how loving bored people were before internet?

this is absolutely modern history, but I always think about The Girl Watchers episode of The Dollop where men basically shut down a city one day because a woman with big tits walked down the street

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that loving woman's analogy ruined my day lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/AndyGold24/status/1577784458647846913

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Delos, Greece, ~500 B.C.
Cooker with three pots, grill and oven.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I started reaching a book about cataphracts and one of the important points highlighted was that they were heavily armored cavalry, similar to medieval knights, but differed critically in that cataphracts did not have stirrups

and then I had to stop because they started talking about how cataphracts still held the reins of the horse and I figured if they didn't have stirrups but did have reins then I didn't know what the gently caress stirrups were

can someone give me a crash course on the parts of horse-riding and why a stirrup was so important?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I started reaching a book about cataphracts and one of the important points highlighted was that they were heavily armored cavalry, similar to medieval knights, but differed critically in that cataphracts did not have stirrups

and then I had to stop because they started talking about how cataphracts still held the reins of the horse and I figured if they didn't have stirrups but did have reins then I didn't know what the gently caress stirrups were

can someone give me a crash course on the parts of horse-riding and why a stirrup was so important?

Stirrups are the metal loops you put your foot in while riding. It allows you to more easily put more of your weight on one side of the horse without falling off, which I guess is handy if you want to swing heavy weapons from the back of the horse. But since I recall cataphracts doing that a lot with maces it must work well without stirrups too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imagine you charge into something and hit it and your feet arent holding onto the horse and one or more hands isnt on the horse cause its got a weapon

physics doesnt want you on that horse.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
You can also stand up in them and get a lot more power when you swing your weapon.
E: Also much better for firing a bow.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[laughs in scythian]

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Stirrups are the metal loops you put your foot in while riding. It allows you to more easily put more of your weight on one side of the horse without falling off, which I guess is handy if you want to swing heavy weapons from the back of the horse. But since I recall cataphracts doing that a lot with maces it must work well without stirrups too.

Before stirrups, they used to build increasingly elaborate saddles to hold the rider onto the horse and achieve similar results.

Here's a reconstruction of a Roman design intended to achieve that with four "horns" holding the rider in place in each corner. You can imagine how this would be less effective than stirrups:

(from here)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Weka posted:

Delos, Greece, ~500 B.C.
Cooker with three pots, grill and oven.

I guess it must have worked but I can’t really see how it could get hot enough to boil those pots

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gradenko_2000 posted:

For the sake of images, the thing that the person's foot is on is a stirrup:

The cord that the person is holding in their hands that is going to the horse's mouth is the reins:

Other terms that come up a lot off the top of my head: bit (the part that goes in the horses mouth; hard metal that connects to the reins and the reins actually transmit pain to the horse to tell them how to turn their head), bridle (the stuff that goes around the horse's head to make the reins&bit stay in place properly), spurs (spiky elements on the back of boots that you dig into the horse's flank to communicate with it via pain), barding (horse armor), breastplate (keeps the saddle from sliding around too much), and tack (all the stuff a horse wears).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the responses! this thread is cool

I'm gonna go back to that book now that I have a handle on it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Drunkboxer posted:

I guess it must have worked but I can’t really see how it could get hot enough to boil those pots

Gonna speculate wildly here and say that they might have brought whatever was in the pot to a boil directly over the fire and then put it on the outer part to simmer? Could also just be that they didn't boil stuff and cooked it for longer at a lower temp. Doesn't work for everything of course but isn't that basically what sous vide is?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Azathoth posted:

Gonna speculate wildly here and say that they might have brought whatever was in the pot to a boil directly over the fire and then put it on the outer part to simmer? Could also just be that they didn't boil stuff and cooked it for longer at a lower temp. Doesn't work for everything of course but isn't that basically what sous vide is?
Braising bad cuts of meat over a long period of time at a lower temperature helps break down collagen that would otherwise make eating it a bad experience. Sous vide is basically just bringing meat that, from a texture point of view, could be eaten raw, up to a temperature that's safe to eat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

those pots might not even be the original ones for those warming areas. if this was a commercial stove the food for sale may have been displayed there to stay hot through the lunch rush for instance

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Azathoth posted:

to also wildly speculate a bit, wouldn't keeping a large amount of food at serving temperature also be a pretty valuable thing for the ancient cook? you cook your stew by putting the pot directly on the fire bed or on the rack, and then the exhaust heat goes up the chimney and keeps it warm for however long you have the fire going. kind of like how a samovar uses the residual heat from the big water boiling chamber to keep your teapot warm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvG1tOOBUbY

Real hurthling! posted:

those pots might not even be the original ones for those warming areas. if this was a commercial stove the food for sale may have been displayed there to stay hot through the lunch rush for instance

or this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

very likely imo, given what we know about how ancient Mediterranean cultures loved fast food

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Re: stirrup chat, why did it take so long for those things to be invented? Doesn't seem like a technological impediment, was it literally just nobody thought of the idea?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Re: stirrup chat, why did it take so long for those things to be invented? Doesn't seem like a technological impediment, was it literally just nobody thought of the idea?

they werent putting on plate armor and shock charging into each other. cav was held for a flank attack or used to cut down broken infantry as they fled. once antiquity ends and armies are getting smaller and are based around a small class of petty noble knights, the idea of shock cavalry becomes more enticing and an arms race to make the most unkillable horse dude begins that makes people more receptive to adopting new tech from abroad and trying new things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Slavvy posted:

It kinda feels like asking why buttons weren't invented earlier. Buttons are way more modern than people think, are super useful, and there's no reason they couldn't have been invented much earlier but as the old phrase goes, necessity is the mother of invention.

They don't enable anything specific that couldn't already be done, even though stirrups do make a number of things better and/or easier. Despite some claims otherwise, it seems like ancient people didn't have things they couldn't do from the horse that they wanted to do.

But like buttons, once someone comes up with them they spread like wildfire because it's obviously superior.