Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Typo posted:

as it turns out, decent writing is a lot rarer than good CGI nowadays, and the audience do care about the former

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLA3mHaTPY

Oh hey it's the guy who invented a usable back scabbard so he could draw a sword from his back because it looks cool. Obviously I'm interested in his opinion on TV shows as well.

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's Amazon Ring actor budget compared to Dragon actor budget though? GoT prequel has Olivia Cooke, Matt Smith, *checks imdb* holy poo poo thats Maggie Q?

I don't know anybody on Amazon Ring.

Wait who's Maggie Q in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's Amazon Ring actor budget compared to Dragon actor budget though? GoT prequel has Olivia Cooke, Matt Smith, *checks imdb* holy poo poo thats Maggie Q?

I don't know anybody on Amazon Ring.

A metric ton of Spartacus alumni.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Boris Galerkin posted:

I haven’t watched the lotr show yet (waiting for the episodes to all be released so I can binge it) but I thought people hated it because it stared a woman or poc or something, no?

There absolutely is a large contingent of the usual odious online males review bombing the show because of those reasons, and just to spite them I went into the show wanting to like it. It's a very baffling written show, with obvious high production values and immense effort put into the setting, costumes, and score. But then it has bizarre dialog and plot choices that really make you wonder who is writing it. The dwarves are awesome though. Them and the elf ranger protecting a group of dumb human bumpkins are both good TV and show what the show could be if it was better written.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It’s very funny that RoP decided to completely avoid the issue of human mortality in its show by condensing the timelines whereas HoTD leaned into it so hard that they’re recasting the lead actress 5 eps in. And it doesn’t even have 5000 year old elves!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
why are we talking about rings of bullshit in the evil game of thrones active show thread

frodo? gently caress outta here

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Anonymous Zebra posted:

with obvious high production values and immense effort put into the setting, costumes, and score. But then it has bizarre dialog and plot choices that really make you wonder who is writing it.

why are we talking about the last few comic book movies in the evil game of thrones active show thread

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I only caught up on the show recently, what's the thread's consensus on how evil Pa Hightower is? Was he pulling all the strings and murdering all the Targs on the down low like a Varys and Littlefinger hybrid?

Also I have said this in a different thread, my feeling on the Princess is that she is a YA protagonist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's just playing the game of thrones my dude

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

stephenthinkpad posted:

I only caught up on the show recently, what's the thread's consensus on how evil Pa Hightower is? Was he pulling all the strings and murdering all the Targs on the down low like a Varys and Littlefinger hybrid?

Also I have said this in a different thread, my feeling on the Princess is that she is a YA protagonist.

Otto is v. self-interested (or at least Hightower-interested) and his scheming put his daughter in a real bad state but he does not want to be king of the ashes. He wants the realm to be peaceful and prosperous but his priority is securing the Hightowers as high a position as possible

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Probably not evil as in planning everything and poisoning everyone not but it depends if you believe in the maesters' conspiracy. If you do, he may have been a willing pawn working in parallel or a knowing agent. Because it's not because he didn't poison Vyseris' father doesn't mean no one did. Of course, Baelon could just have died of illness. In the books, he felt a stitch on his side during a hunt and he died 5 days later.
Seriously i am more confused about the Strong family role in that stuff.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 22, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne posted:

A metric ton of Spartacus alumni.
Completely the wrong aesthetic they went with then.

Starks posted:

It’s very funny that RoP decided to completely avoid the issue of human mortality in its show by condensing the timelines whereas HoTD leaned into it so hard that they’re recasting the lead actress 5 eps in. And it doesn’t even have 5000 year old elves!
Yeah, I think it would make a lot more sense for them to distinguish their own setting as being way more mythological than to take this half-way approach that satisfies neither the GoT crowd or the people who might want an antidote to "realism".

Toplowtech posted:

Probably evil as in planning everything and poisoning everyone not but it depends if you believe in the maesters' conspiracy. If you do, he may have been a willing pawn working in parallel or a knowing agent. Because it's not because he didn't poison Vyseris' father doesn't mean no one did. Of course, Baelon could just have died of illness. In the books, he felt a stitch on his side during a hunt and he died 5 days later.
Dude, please stop posting this poo poo. Who knows how the gently caress they're adapting the show, don't mention poo poo just because you assume it's not relevant.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Dude, please stop posting this poo poo. Who knows how the gently caress they're adapting the show, don't mention poo poo just because you assume it's not relevant.
That kind of poo poo wasn't relevant in GoT it's 100% Asoiaf Wankery, but sure i will keep it outside.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ya but between winking at Lemongate, the Blackwood/Bracken feud, and Viserys's dad's poisoning rumour (which reinforced the unreliable narrator notion that is largely squashed out of adapting Fire and Blood) this show is infinitely more interested in ASOIAF fanwank poo poo than got was

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

whats the lemongate stuff.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The "maesters' conspiracy" is absolutely 99.9% likely not true, and is one of those theories born out of the insanity of fans waiting for the books to come out. However, much like the Varys Blackfyre theory, once you hear/read it you cannot stop noticing that everything seems to be lining up towards it being true. So no, mentioning it is not really a spoiler because it's not real. It can't be real... can it?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Ya but between winking at Lemongate, the Blackwood/Bracken feud, and Viserys's dad's poisoning rumour (which reinforced the unreliable narrator notion that is largely squashed out of adapting Fire and Blood) this show is infinitely more interested in ASOIAF fanwank poo poo than got was
Naahh those are bullshit fan service and at least the blackwood/bracken thing is in the book not a forum theory wankery. That theory is lady Dustin (don't worry, not in this show or any other one unless they remake GoT hardcore book edition) on screen going full Ser Alex Jones*. You can believe the full paranoia of the powerful and insane or you can admit sometime people die of weird diseases.
*the water is turning the members of House Marsh gay, i guess.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 22, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

For some people, critical analysis is how they enjoy things. And for some people, things that are "problematic" in an academic fashion for some, are challenges they are forced to face every day and it's worth talking about their problems with it.

And for some folks, they don't like thinking about the media they consume in a critical fashion because they feel like if they enjoyed something that had problem that somehow makes them a bad person(it does not).

The great thing here is you can also totally ignore the posts you don't like and mute the posters you don't like.

It's ironic to me that folks would spend the time to complain about posts they don't like instead of moving on, similar to the "if you don't like the show move on" attitude in these 3 posts.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 22, 2022

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That DICK! posted:

whats the lemongate stuff.

That Dany's childhood memories must be false because lemon trees cannot grow in Braavos, where she believed the house with the red door was. It was alluded to when Larys points out a flower in the godswood native to Braavos but seemingly unable to grow down south in KL.

edit: ya it's fanservice irrelevant to the plot but it makes the show feel bigger and more like the books that piqued our interest. Like how the lack of food and fun clothing made GoT worse than it already was

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Odoyle posted:

I conjecture the Dragons House and Power Rings quality battle boils down to lighting and camera lens selection. Ring show looks like the Time Wheel show and that show looked like Princess Xena. The cinematographer(s?) chose a lens that didn’t open up wide enough to provide a challenging depth of field to isolate the subject from the background in intimate shots. Everything is therefore in focus and looks like it was shot on a cheap fixed-lens camera with a narrow f-stop. I guess they want their expensive digital mattes to look sharp on a 4K home display or something?

[desire to know more intensifies]

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

For some people, critical analysis is how they enjoy things. And for some people, things that are "problematic" in an academic fashion for some, are challenges they are forced to face every day and it's worth talking about their problems with it.

And for some folks, they don't like thinking about the media they consume in a critical fashion because they feel like if they enjoyed something that had problem that somehow makes them a bad person(it does not).

The great thing here is you can also totally ignore the posts you don't like and mute the posters you don't like.

It's ironic to me that folks would spend the time to complain about posts they don't like instead of moving on, similar to the "if you don't like the show move on" attitude in these 3 posts.

there's probably a good thread to be made on this entire idea of critical analysis of media texts and subjective interpretative validity, but this isn't the thread for it which i only realised after i posted my previous post. maybe i'll make that thread at some point to sort of condense it there, but in the meantime i just want to make clear that i'm not saying that it isn't true that marginalised groups can find expression in mass media, they obviously can. i'm questioning whether that is a good thing - not that the marginalised groups can, but that anyone can, because it is fundamentally stupefying and infantilising. Combine that with the inside out - literally in your brain - commodification of everything, all the ways we force our brains to say 'selling ourselves is okay' on a daily basis - and what do you have

i dunno, i think it's a really sick culture and i suppose that is what that thread would be about but i just want to make it clear that i'm not picking on gay rep in mass media, black rep in mass media, whatever you have picked up on that I'm denying - I'm denying all of it. I think it's faulty on a fundamental level. I understand that's it's real and has real effects and i SUPPOSE in that reality, more representation and more consideration to all of these factors is preferrable, but the complete subjugation to image is such a towering greater evil that i almost just do not care, it bears no relevance to my actual life as i live it and how i treat people. that's not true for a lot of people because they are completely submerged in images.

and no that's not gonna stop me enjoying the dragon show or talking about it as long as it's fun to me, but i'm saying that how personally people take all of this poo poo is loving insane.

we can talk about this more elsewhere probably. this thread is supposed to be one of my little escapes, but in the absence of that it comes out in weird places.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 22, 2022

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Odoyle posted:

I conjecture the Dragons House and Power Rings quality battle boils down to lighting and camera lens selection. Ring show looks like the Time Wheel show and that show looked like Princess Xena. The cinematographer(s?) chose a lens that didn’t open up wide enough to provide a challenging depth of field to isolate the subject from the background in intimate shots. Everything is therefore in focus and looks like it was shot on a cheap fixed-lens camera with a narrow f-stop. I guess they want their expensive digital mattes to look sharp on a 4K home display or something?
ROP uses plenty of shallow focus, but mostly for close ups. But I agree that it has a desire to maximise contrast, the characters are always well lit and it often looks artificial.

To bring it back to HotD though, check out this shot from the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAwbJ5O2mcM

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Mameluke posted:

edit: ya it's fanservice irrelevant to the plot but it makes the show feel bigger and more like the books that piqued our interest. Like how the lack of food and fun clothing made GoT worse than it already was

Yeah, they are throwing an immense amount of deep cut book nerd fan service into this show, and it's funny because I sound like a lunatic when I'm trying to explain why the scene of Criston and the princess making love being shot as if through peepholes in a wall is a reference to the spying eyes in the walls of the week. It's like try to explain why this image:

is so loving funny to someone that hasn't spent a decade on ASoIaF forums waiting for the next book to come out.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You know what, I'd watch this.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Starks posted:

Huge missed opportunity to do something new and interesting. I never resumed watching Foundation after life got in the way but that was another show that could have played with the scale of time, based on the source material.

Llamadeus posted:

ROP uses plenty of shallow focus, but mostly for close ups. But I agree that it has a desire to maximise contrast, the characters are always well lit and it often looks artificial.

I love so much the choices they(/GRRM) are making with characterization in this series. There's a lot of hamfistedness in the writing but the characters are more nuanced than they have any right to be.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Llamadeus posted:

I made a joke about siding with Emma during the upcoming 'Actress Wars', but her honestly has my attention in this one minute clip. Very excited for Sunday.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

unlimited shrimp posted:

Huge missed opportunity to do something new and interesting. I never resumed watching Foundation after life got in the way but that was another show that could have played with the scale of time, based on the source material.

I love so much the choices they(/GRRM) are making with characterization in this series. There's a lot of hamfistedness in the writing but the characters are more nuanced than they have any right to be.

yeah it's super cool how they're characterizing Rhaenyra and Laenor's marriage. They're friends! He doesn't much care if the kids are his or not! She appreciates his support even if it's not perfect! really interesting

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is what the Rings of Power needed in order to void all criticsm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Robobot posted:

You know what, I'd watch this.

Ser Crixus Cole

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

zoux posted:

Ser Crixus Cole

I’d prefer Ser The-Gods-Spread-Cheeks-and-Ram-Cock-in-loving-rear end, myself.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the targaryen theme is so good. why did they not use this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Say, why haven't we not got given any John Hannah in these here games of thrones

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
when ian mcshane was teased for s6 i thought loving yes, absolutely perfect. inject english swearengen into this world, perfect replacement for tywin, let's really get deep.

turned out to be a two scene guest spot, shame.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

why are we talking about rings of bullshit in the evil game of thrones active show thread

frodo? gently caress outta here

Found this on twitter, it's good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

hahaha :lmao:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Hahaha goddamn.

That’s probably my favorite moment in the show so far too.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jaxyon posted:

Imagine being that smugly superior and then admitting you play Something Awful with full aim assist and Storyteller Mode on.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
lol very funny

it's also funny how utterly pissed off alicent was by that moment, justified. what a couple of dicks.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

roomtone posted:

lol very funny

it's also funny how utterly pissed off alicent was by that moment, justified. what a couple of dicks.

to be fair the tapestries SUCKED

edit: like real string-y

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tender Bender posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013