Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you bought OW1 I think you get Kiriko free regardless, so you won't have to deal with that BS until the next hero.

Have they mentioned how heroes released in prior battle passes are unlocked? Can you just buy them at that point or is there still a grind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splinter posted:

Have they mentioned how heroes released in prior battle passes are unlocked? Can you just buy them at that point or is there still a grind?

They said that you will be able to get them but didn't say how. Probably because they haven't decided yet.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The mythic skin is the last thing, the others will probably be placed throughout at regular intervals along with all the other stuff, if you like the skins in the battle pass then it'll be a decent purchase I guess cause they'll definitely be charging more than $10 for individual skins in the store. Obviously if you're fully against buying stuff in a game in general then that won't be a defense.

I've never played a game with a battlepass where they required grinding your arse off though, generally they're designed to be pretty completable by someone playing the game on a regular basis to be honest. You get the proper nutjobs who have them finished 1 month into a 3 month battle pass but most tend to be pretty doable over time, if you don't want to play the game which is generally what doing the battle pass entails then I wouldn't buy the battle pass of course.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I understand the battle pass correctly it's not even like Apex where you can just accumulate some currency and buy a hero you want when they appear - you'll be grinding to 55 once your perfect Waifu/Himbo is released. Worse still, I worry that if you only get part way through the BP in nine weeks, you're just screwed? Don't BPs just ... Go away?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

If I understand the battle pass correctly it's not even like Apex where you can just accumulate some currency and buy a hero you want when they appear - you'll be grinding to 55 once your perfect Waifu/Himbo is released. Worse still, I worry that if you only get part way through the BP in nine weeks, you're just screwed? Don't BPs just ... Go away?

They do. Welcome to modern gaming.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

There's a good chance that bp skins will be sold later on with premium prizes.
There also will be Weekly bundles with Skin(s) and stuff, that won't be on bp.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah battle passes do go away in most games that have them, only Halo Infinites don't as far as I know. It is pretty poo poo cause you have paid for the stuff as Jack Trades has said and there's no reason they can't just let you still unlock the stuff once it's expired, they are purely to drive fomo and try and keep the playerbase engaged. It's quite annoying, reviewers/influencers will ding games that don't have any treadmill of unlocks these days and people will report that they don't feel like playing anymore once they finish a battlepass, playing the game because they enjoy it is apparently alien, so the sickness is now ingrained.

Compared to Apex, yeah you won't accrue the currency to get new heroes so you'll always have to either get the battle pass which gets you them immediately or get them in the free battle pass which will take some time. They haven't said how you'll get heroes from past battle passes specifically so it's hard to say how easy that'll be, I feel like they did say there'll be some challenges to unlock them or you can just buy them but I can't be bothered to go and check. If the challenges are reasonably doable then that's fine imo but mileage may vary on that of course.

One thing I found with Apex was if you happened to take a break and then come back, getting that currency back up to buy a new hero was a long old grind and they keep adding them faster than I could accrue them. Now there's like 5 I haven't got and I'm sure there'll be another shortly so I'll just never get them all. Valorant has a pretty decent unlock system imo, you get 2 free heroes of your choice when you start playing pretty quickly, there's 5 unlocked right away for everyone and then unlocking any other heroes, new or old will take like a week of playing in the evening for an hour or so.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 22, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The worst part of Battle Passes is that it adds a meta layer on top of your gaming sessions and you can't just fire up the game and play anymore because the game will constantly nag you about having to do paperwork between matches and jumping through hoops in the middle of matches and all of that poo poo just sours the whole experience, even if the game itself is otherwise fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wait are the new characters hidden behind the paid battle pass? Lol all this time I assumed it was at least the free one

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

The worst part of Battle Passes is that it adds a meta layer on top of your gaming sessions and you can't just fire up the game and play anymore because the game will constantly nag you about having to do paperwork between matches and jumping through hoops in the middle of matches and all of that poo poo just sours the whole experience, even if the game itself is otherwise fun.

Play this role/mode you don't care about 3 times today, Recruit! Don't want to fall behind the exp curve, do you?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Wait are the new characters hidden behind the paid battle pass? Lol all this time I assumed it was at least the free one

They're on the free track.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Play this role/mode you don't care about 3 times today, Recruit! Don't want to fall behind the exp curve, do you?

Play as DPS 5 times today. No we haven't fixed dps queues being 10 times longer, stop asking and go bsck to your trough.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Countblanc posted:

Paid gets them unlocked at start of the season. F2P players have to play to unlock.
Except the first one is unlocked for all OW1 players.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

They're on the free track.

Ah ok good the way it was being discussed at the same time as buying the premiumn pass sort of blurred it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jack Trades posted:

Play as DPS 5 times today. No we haven't fixed dps queues being 10 times longer, stop asking and go bsck to your trough.
"queue as DPS for a total of 30 minutes"

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jack Trades posted:

Weren't tank queues the worst in beta? I recall playing DPS or support much more than tank (at least for the first beta, never got access to the 2nd beta). Not unsurprising if so given all the tank reworks/increased power level, plus Junker Queen in the 2nd beta, combined with only 1 tank spot.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Countblanc posted:

Ah ok good the way it was being discussed at the same time as buying the premiumn pass sort of blurred it.

No, the premium just automatically unlocks it iirc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

No, the premium just automatically unlocks it iirc

No.
You get a reward like every 5th level if you grind without paying.
You can pay to be able to grind for all the "rewards" from every other level.
You can also additionally pay to skip the grind.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

No.
You get a reward like every 5th level if you grind without paying.
You can pay to be able to grind for all the "rewards" from every other level.
You can also additionally pay to skip the grind.

I was referring to the new character.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in conclusion, battle passes are a land of contrasts

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
the only battlepasses I've ever paid for are on Magic the Gathering: Arena. Those are a pretty good value.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Having characters on the battlepass would be fine if they were level 10-15 unlocks instead of 55, it's dumb as hell.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just as I decided to get off the Apex BP train after the current season and dip more into Overwatch again, they start this bullshit. Time to take a long hard look at my singleplayer backlog.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Everyone should just play Deep Rock Galactic and chill

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Wheeee posted:

DRG except all 4 classes are torb

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Engi would tear that leaf-lover Torb in half

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they should 100% put driller in OW2 and let him go through walls

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
OW2 needs more interactions like the dwarves where they say poo poo like "about time, fat boy". enough wholesome friendly characters, make everyone salty and tired of each other's poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Countblanc posted:

OW2 needs more interactions like the dwarves where they say poo poo like "about time, fat boy". enough wholesome friendly characters, make everyone salty and tired of each other's poo poo

just make a mod that gives everyone s76 voice lines then, have tracer running around giving people pissy clint eastwood noises about being old and jaded

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

DRG is basically the most wholesome game ever made

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Wheeee posted:

I would but I got burnt out trying to grind the battle pass. :suicide:

Countblanc posted:

In an ideal PvE game where you could pick any character, this would be most of the interactions (eg - Tracer & Widowmaker, Torb & Bastion, Sombra & the rest of the cast). But back when the first Jeff was still here he implied the game had a max of 8 selectable characters so who knows how far down the pipes that dream is.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Wheeee posted:

It would have been real fun, if I was still in my 20s and had a IRL video gaming group to play with. Co-op with friends makes even mediocre games really fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wheeee posted:

It is but I found it very grindy and repetitive.
I didn't even manage to get to the overload weapons, or whatever they were called, before I got tired of missions being all samey.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

i crave novelty, i continue to repeat as i throw myself once more into the hanamura choke point

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wheeee posted:

i crave novelty, i continue to repeat as i throw myself once more into the hanamura choke point

I just switch to Hammond/Moira and walk my rear end to the point and most defender teams can't handle having to focus on two points of interest at the same time. :shrug:
It's hardly rocket surgery.

EDIT: Also I'd probably feel differently if DRG had player-controlled bugs ala L4D.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 23, 2022

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Splinter posted:

Weren't tank queues the worst in beta? I recall playing DPS or support much more than tank (at least for the first beta, never got access to the 2nd beta). Not unsurprising if so given all the tank reworks/increased power level, plus Junker Queen in the 2nd beta, combined with only 1 tank spot.

Yep! But the second beta had open queue which would throw you into a game pretty quickly and let you play whatever. Turns out 2-1-2 was the ideal team comp all along

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jack Trades posted:

I just switch to Hammond/Moira and walk my rear end to the point and most defender teams can't handle having to focus on two points of interest at the same time. :shrug:
It's hardly rocket surgery.

Also Genji/Hanzo/Tracer/Sombra/Pharah/Echo through window and/or choke.
Or just teleport whole team with Symmetra.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, it's gonna be hard to to do a winston dive when he's the only tank : (

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
On the other hand he has 69420 HP now and your pocket ninja can just teleport to you after you leap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

adhuin posted:

Also Genji/Hanzo/Tracer/Sombra/Pharah/Echo through window and/or choke.
Or just teleport whole team with Symmetra.

All of those would require me to sit and twiddle my thumbs for 10 minutes first, but otherwise yeah.