Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My favorite thing about that is that their entire inventory is like two or three milkcrates worth of records and it all looks like they just went to the nearest thrift store and left with everything.

And this guy just seems like a loving moron:

quote:

I have just written to VNYL.org today
I have just written to VNYL.org today, as I was horrified to find out this morning that, even though I cancelled their service in 2018, they have been charging me every single month since then. No, I didn't spot it on my statement until today : (

I signed up for a yearly subscription in Nov 2018, $273... but I never received anything, ever, and so I cancelled.

To date, they have taken from me $1172 and I have not received a single piece of vinyl. Nothing.

I'm hoping they will be honest, and prove themselves not to be thieves, and return the money for products and service never given. I will update on here what happens.

I'm a journalist and connected to the music and vinyl industries, and so I can cause them WAY more than $1172 in reputation-damage, but I'm hoping it won't come to that and that they will behave ethically.

How do you just not notice a monthly charge on your bank statement for three years?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CPL593H posted:

How do you just not notice a monthly charge on your bank statement for three years?

CPL593H posted:

And this guy just seems like a loving moron
That just about covers it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Partner and I went downtown Sunday to celebrate our six-year anniversary....I'm trying to actually budget my record buying now, so I told myself I'd only get one of the two albums I wanted (Endtroducing by DJ Shadow):

...And today he brings home the other one as a gift :kiddo:

(Handsome Boy Modeling School's "White People")

CPL593H posted:

Being rich. :smith:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm not up to the thrifting part of vinyl yet but have been building up my library by trading in a bunch of stuff that I got off my Dad that hasn't been for me. This has been over the past few months.

I've had Excellent Italian Greyhound on a lot of late, forgot just how good that album was.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 21, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Fun fact: if by chance you saw someone sobbing like a baby when they dropped Hammond Song at the end, chances are it was probably me. :wave:

Well it's a good'n

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Hell yeah, I just finally got Money Store last week...been wanting a copy forever.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is this an ebay pick? I've been watching the MF Doom site hoping this comes back in stock but it never does

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
When I took my parents turntable it came with most of their records. I focused at first on the rock and r&b stuff they had. My dad had a lot of country western/bluegrass but before I got to it I started buying my own stuff and kind of forgot about it. Finally decided to start going through it and discovering lots of good stuff and very strong mustaches.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

z0331 posted:

When I took my parents turntable it came with most of their records. I focused at first on the rock and r&b stuff they had. My dad had a lot of country western/bluegrass but before I got to it I started buying my own stuff and kind of forgot about it. Finally decided to start going through it and discovering lots of good stuff and very strong mustaches.

Jerry Jeff Walker is the good stuff

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Megabound posted:

I'm not up to the thrifting part of vinyl yet but have been building up my library by trading in a bunch of stuff that I got off my Dad that hasn't been for me. This has been over the past few months.

I've had Excellent Italian Greyhound on a lot of late, forgot just how good that album was.

nice money store and cat

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is this an ebay pick? I've been watching the MF Doom site hoping this comes back in stock but it never does

No, I got it at theast record store day drop. You can still get it brand new on eBay and Discogs for retail price.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pretty exciting day at the goodwill today

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/1572937338564800512?s=46&t=zY641xmZDozVM2dz9kCrjg
https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/1572937739267612672?s=46&t=zY641xmZDozVM2dz9kCrjg

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’ve decided to not give Josh Homme any more money, but if they ever reissue Desert Sessions, it would put my commitment to the test.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

IUG posted:

I’ve decided to not give Josh Homme any more money, but if they ever reissue Desert Sessions, it would put my commitment to the test.

Aye. The self-titled is tempting, but even that comes out to $32, which is more than I want to give to Josh I'll admit.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 22, 2022

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I got the orange self titled. Black sold out first.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Better not just reissue them, make them limited, everything is a contest, all is driven by FoMO, life is pain.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

My order from Light in the Attic that just showed up and I got a shipping email a few days later.

Funky Stuff fuckin whips, title says it all. The Pyramid Pieces albums are compilations, a lot of stuff with that midcentury Arthur Lyman/Martin Denny vibe

Also Harmonica needed to be in the picture for some reason.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 23, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Arcella posted:

My order from Light in the Attic that just showed up and I got a shipping email a few days later.

Funky Stuff fuckin whips, title says it all. The Pyramid Pieces albums are compilations, a lot of stuff with that midcentury Arthur Lyman/Martin Denny

Also Harmonica needed to be in the picture for some reason.

Is Harmonica a blue heeler?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Yep! (partially) He and his sister are Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler and Great Pyrenees mixes, at least according to the DNA site we used. Which I was surprised that you could get a pretty standard Blue Heeler coat (Cheyenne) and a Red Heeler coat from the same litter.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IUG posted:

Did he turn out to be some kind of chud or sex creep?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Did he turn out to be some kind of chud or sex creep?

He's a drunk abusive rear end in a top hat.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/josh-homme-children-file-domestic-violence-restraining-order-1223802/amp/

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Arcella posted:

Yep! (partially) He and his sister are Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler and Great Pyrenees mixes, at least according to the DNA site we used. Which I was surprised that you could get a pretty standard Blue Heeler coat (Cheyenne) and a Red Heeler coat from the same litter.

Hell yeah we have a blue heeler/ border collie mix. Heelers are great dogs.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Arcella posted:

Very good dogs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The only pure souls in the entertainment industry are Weird Al Yankovic and Keanu Reeves.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

The only pure souls in the entertainment industry are Weird Al Yankovic and Keanu Reeves.

Geddy Lee

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

He looked at a baby with anger in his heart back in 1997.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

He looked at a baby with anger in his heart back in 1997.

On the 2nd leg of the T4E tour? No way.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Eagles of Death Metal were playing at the Bataclan during the attack in 2015. Jesse Hughes went immediately, publicly off the rails after that and Homme seemed to keep it together....perhaps not. A brief google shows he has of history being an rear end in a top hat, but it sure ramped up. There's no way your mentally getting through that without help

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

midge posted:

Eagles of Death Metal were playing at the Bataclan during the attack in 2015. Jesse Hughes went immediately, publicly off the rails after that and Homme seemed to keep it together....perhaps not. A brief google shows he has of history being an rear end in a top hat, but it sure ramped up. There's no way your mentally getting through that without help

I can’t imagine having to see an eagles of death metal concert either. Respect

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lol I knew the Command percussion series was popular back then but I didn't know it was popular enough to get knockoffs

Fun fact these had covers by Josef Albers who was almost certainly one of the most "notable" artists to be employed to do cover art

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lol I knew the Command percussion series was popular back then but I didn't know it was popular enough to get knockoffs

Fun fact these had covers by Josef Albers who was almost certainly one of the most "notable" artists to be employed to do cover art

Those are beautiful, brings back memories of my stint at design school. The one I just found out about though was Sonic Youth using Gerhard Richter paintings for Daydream Nation. Not quite the same arrangement there though.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wow never realized the art was kinda notable. There were a lot of albums put out back then that say "percussion" something somethign on the cover but don't really have that much drumming involved, because my very white ancestors wanted to believe the appropriate place for music is a ballroom. So hiring a percussionist to their 32-piece string ensemble was really groundbreaking as far as they could tell.

I just won a small auction of albums some of which were old percussion-themed myself.

Nowadays, people remember Freddie Hubbard, not Gene Krupa. But Krupa and Buddy Rich were some of the only jazz drummers I learned about because I lived in a pretty whitebread part of the country, where you would never even learn the name of a guy like Freddy Hubbard. ED: Also one of the reasons I don't get their records too much, that and the Vegas taint. I don't know about Krupa but Buddy Rich was very much a Vegas kinda performer.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 24, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

come to think of it, "vegas taint" would be a good band name.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

petit choux posted:

come to think of it, "vegas taint" would be a good band name.

Taint in Vegas

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Wow never realized the art was kinda notable. There were a lot of albums put out back then that say "percussion" something somethign on the cover but don't really have that much drumming involved, because my very white ancestors wanted to believe the appropriate place for music is a ballroom. So hiring a percussionist to their 32-piece string ensemble was really groundbreaking as far as they could tell.

I just won a small auction of albums some of which were old percussion-themed myself.

Nowadays, people remember Freddie Hubbard, not Gene Krupa. But Krupa and Buddy Rich were some of the only jazz drummers I learned about because I lived in a pretty whitebread part of the country, where you would never even learn the name of a guy like Freddy Hubbard. ED: Also one of the reasons I don't get their records too much, that and the Vegas taint. I don't know about Krupa but Buddy Rich was very much a Vegas kinda performer.

Freddy Hubbard was a trumpet player.

Edit: And it’s rare that drummers were band leaders in general, regardless of race. Rich and Krupa were tremendous drummers and would have been famous anyways, but being white and playing a more “pop” style of jazz helped. Max Roach and Tito Puente were both drummers and bandleaders, and both are really famous. Tony Williams was a bandleader for part of his career, too. But mostly drummers were sidemen and sidemen don’t get the top billing.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 24, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Freddy Hubbard was a trumpet player.

Edit: And it’s rare that drummers were band leaders in general, regardless of race. Rich and Krupa were tremendous drummers and would have been famous anyways, but being white and playing a more “pop” style of jazz helped. Max Roach and Tito Puente were both drummers and bandleaders, and both are really famous. Tony Williams was a bandleader for part of his career, too. But mostly drummers were sidemen and sidemen don’t get the top billing.

Oh, beg your pardon, I was thinking Herbie Hancock. Yeah, Freddy Hubbard wouldn't have been mentioned either where I grew up, in favor of trumpeters Doc Severinson and Maynerd Ferguson if you're in a Vegas kinda mood and Al Hirt if you were in the mood for dixieland, or Herb Alpert if you were in the mood for something south of the border.*

* not consigned to the dustbins of history, but the record bins at Goodwill, which is the next best thing

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Oh, beg your pardon, I was thinking Herbie Hancock. Yeah, Freddy Hubbard wouldn't have been mentioned either where I grew up, in favor of trumpeters Doc Severinson and Maynerd Ferguson if you're in a Vegas kinda mood and Al Hirt if you were in the mood for dixieland, or Herb Alpert if you were in the mood for something south of the border.*

* not consigned to the dustbins of history, but the record bins at Goodwill, which is the next best thing

Herbie Hancock isn’t a drummer either. He played with Freddy Hubbard a bunch of times, though.

Freddy Hubbard isn’t *that* well known unless you’re really into fusion. His solo records didn’t sell great. He was the man though.