Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I put my deposit down for a 64GB this July and I just got the email telling me it’s available now :stare:

Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm at 93% after 8 days. I suspect I'll be able to order next week. 64gb. Not bad.

nerox
May 20, 2001
My deck came in, its currently downloading updates and games on my work's slow rear end wifi.

At first glance this thing is both larger than I imagined it would be, but at the same time is not as heavy as I thought it would be.

edit: I also sniffed the vent since the thread demands it.

I am pretty sure Vampire Survivors will be pretty great on this, I am going to try it out tonight to test my totally new theory.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Got my 256gb email today, will be smelling the vent for myself in no time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

New graphics cards being a billion dollars doesn't really affect me because, frankly, I just plain don't use my PC much anymore. The only game I play on it is TWWH3.

Thanks, Valve, for letting me save money by spending money.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
My deck is here! :neckbeard:

And for those wondering, the credit card charge did magically show up on my statement last night, so just a bunch of worrying for nothing thanks to that nonsense.

Edit: vent sniffed, smells good :cloudnine:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 22, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm at 93% after 8 days. I suspect I'll be able to order next week. 64gb. Not bad.

Also at 93% after ordering at the start of the month. Guessing I'll be able to purchase by the end of next week which is way sooner than I expected.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

jokes posted:

New graphics cards being a billion dollars doesn't really affect me because, frankly, I just plain don't use my PC much anymore. The only game I play on it is TWWH3.

Thanks, Valve, for letting me save money by spending money.

The WWHitcher 3

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
The Witcher Wild Hunt 3?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Tony Walks Wro Hkater 3

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Aren't the updates supposed to be only Mondays and Fridays? Pretty sure I got bumped up to 97% today.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The Grey posted:

Aren't the updates supposed to be only Mondays and Fridays? Pretty sure I got bumped up to 97% today.

Purchase emails are Monday and Thursday.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Magic Shortbus posted:

Its the same OS underneath. Game Mode and Desktop mode are different graphical environments running on top of the same Linux. When you go between the two its not so much rebooting other than stopping and starting the other graphical shell.

Is it possible that Valve could put in an option to always have both UIs loaded in memory so that switching could be instant? I love that we have both options but man does going between them feel kinda junky.

I wish the SteamOS UI was like Big Picture running on top of the Desktop environment and available whenever I need. I do all of my gaming in SteamOS but god drat I hate it when I'm in game and want to change something through the desktop but I can't without closing the title, switching, then going back in.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kinda amazed how well and how good Cyberpunk looks on this thing. Wow

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

They've really dialed in the trackpad vibrations on the latest preview builds. The vibration feels less and less cheap.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where do you see these percentages?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
For those wondering, Trombone Champ runs great on the deck and has a decent community controller layout.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sigher posted:

Is it possible that Valve could put in an option to always have both UIs loaded in memory so that switching could be instant?
I maintain that Valve doesn't really intend for desktop mode to be used regularly. Like, it's there so you can run the full Steam client to do things that aren't available in game mode, but for the most part they expect most people will just be using game mode day-to-day.

sigher posted:

I do all of my gaming in SteamOS but god drat I hate it when I'm in game and want to change something through the desktop but I can't without closing the title, switching, then going back in.
What do you need to change in the desktop?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well got my notification for the 512 model I reserved back in July(after having to drop my original reservation earlier that month for financial reasons) and yeah definitely a fat expense but I'm in a better spot now compared to then

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you can buy a game from Gog vs from Steam, will the steam version run better on the deck?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Steam has a bunch of performance/correctness hacks keyed off of knowing which Steam game is running, and the shader caching is also linked to the specific game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vegetable posted:

If you can buy a game from Gog vs from Steam, will the steam version run better on the deck?
I can say that you might have to do some more tinkering than with a game running from the Steam client, fiddling with Proton versions and Steam Input options and the like, because SteamOS does at least some of that stuff in the background to try and make things Just Work. I'd recommend buying games on Steam if you're going to be predominantly using the Deck for gaming for that reason, though I don't have any games on both Steam and GOG to compare performance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can say that guild wars 2 runs better through steam than through the normal client somehow.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where do you see these percentages?

As in the order percentages?

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hardspace runs like a dream till it crashes when you try and use your tool lol.

Looks great till that point though!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

put a bunch of money on the CC today buying tickets to a wrestling event, glad I won't have more big purchases like that anytime soon

now let me just take a big sip of water and open my email...

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

So, if I add a non-steam game, how can I find out what id steam assigned to it or which compdata/proton(?) folder belongs to it?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

I can say that you might have to do some more tinkering than with a game running from the Steam client, fiddling with Proton versions and Steam Input options and the like, because SteamOS does at least some of that stuff in the background to try and make things Just Work. I'd recommend buying games on Steam if you're going to be predominantly using the Deck for gaming for that reason, though I don't have any games on both Steam and GOG to compare performance.

Steam also 'caches shaders' specifically for the deck which basically seems to mean less stuttering on the first play through of a 3d area in a game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got my email yesterday night and somehow still don't have my deck this morning, what's stuff I can do while waiting to cope? I already created a Deck Verified collection in my library (that was smaller than I expected).

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Got my "hey make a financial decision" email way earlier than expected. Are there any rumours about hardware revisions or anything, or should I just pull the plug and Buy A Silly Toy as my country heads towards a winter of insane fuel bills and interest rates?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

Got my "hey make a financial decision" email way earlier than expected. Are there any rumours about hardware revisions or anything, or should I just pull the plug and Buy A Silly Toy as my country heads towards a winter of insane fuel bills and interest rates?

Since the Deck is still running on AMD's latest GPU architecture (for about another month) I wouldn't expect a significant hardware revision for at least 2 more years. The biggest revisions I've seen have been about build quality and ironing out early unit issues.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I guess that's enough to push me! I've finally got a gaming PC for the first time in my life, and having to teach myself that "sitting at a PC can be fun, not just work" is legit tricky after all these years, so I figure being able to bounce a save file to a handheld and continue playing in bed is going to be a good way to actually get more use out of the thing!

The most elaborate and strained justification for a thing ever written? Very probably.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
The deck could serve as a small space heater as well, it’s a sound decision

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Given that they’re still catching up on getting Decks out to people who ordered one months ago I really don’t think you have to worry about a second generation or a Steam Deck Lite upending your “shiny new toy” sense.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're actually only 40 days behind on orders now. At the rate things are going, I have a feeling that they'll get to you in just a few weeks if you order now, and they'll be fully caught up by the end of october. I could see them making something new sometime next year if it's economical to do so (e.g. with an rdna3 APU?)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I got my email after just over a month, if you preordered now I'd say it's almost sure you'll have it by November now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I fully expect that by november, you'll be able to just order one and get it shipped to you immediately. They'll probably stock up for black friday and then cut back production after that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
FEAR 1 plays amazingly on this thing, it’s soooo fun . You can’t get it on steam anymore but you can get keys for it for like €2 online

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
The 64gb Steam Deck that I ordered has finally arrived! It's bigger than the Switch OLED but despite the size, it's pretty light than you expect.

And yes, I did sniff the top vent. Everyone here does it. Anyway, probably start off small by installing probably just small games like the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, Freedom Planet and maybe some big games like Digimon Survive or something.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want my tracking number Gabe. Give me my drat toy.

It doesn’t get better from there. I have a tracking number and I’m just staring at the tracking, which hasn’t updated in a while and gives me an ETA for Monday.