Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
gently caress, missed the derails again! Here, lemme hit it quickly:
- Aren't manual transmissions supposed to be better on gas mileage? A buddy keeps buying them as his options dwindle and says that's why.
- I can't drive stick but I can drive a motorcycle no problem. People think that's weird, but sequential transmissions with wet clutches are a piece of cake. Only time I ever tried to drive an H-pattern I stalled and burned the clutch and somehow smoked the tires in the church parking lot.
- Stalefish is the ultimate way to jerk off. (I've been informed that what I'm actually thinking of is a 'canadian bacon'; reaching around behind and between your legs)

EDIT: Oh no, the worst snipe. Looking for content now.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Parrot Doctor posted:

Left-hand wankers grew up where the computer was in a communal part of the house, so they had to keep their right hand on the mouse at all times to minimize windows

Sure, because they were cowards.

You maintain eye contact and establish dominance.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

- Aren't manual transmissions supposed to be better on gas mileage? A buddy keeps buying them as his options dwindle and says that's why.

Once upon a time, but with improved car computers, and just better engineering an automatic will generally get better mileage... But then again you can't go vroom vroom.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

And the smart ones learned you can easily hit ctrl+W with your left hand

Look at this tech head with his fancy tabbed browsing. Bet he thinks he's better than normal people who use IE6 just cause he downloaded Mozilla

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Rabble posted:

Driving a manual in TYOOL 2022 is the auto equivalent of audiophiles paying $1000 for gold plated harmonically neutral cables so they can listen to their 40 year old vinyl "as it was meant to be played".

Love to swoop in on this one but $1000 is pocket change just check out my favourite audiofool site:

https://www.lessloss.com

Marvel at how they sell you empty metal boxes that block space radiation for hundreds of dollars each.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Every time I have a manual I get tired of it and buy an automatic and when I have the automatic I miss driving a manual and buy one the next time

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

- I can't drive stick but I can drive a motorcycle no problem. People think that's weird, but sequential transmissions with wet clutches are a piece of cake. Only time I ever tried to drive an H-pattern I stalled and burned the clutch and somehow smoked the tires in the church parking lot.
- Stalefish is the ultimate way to jerk off. (I've been informed that what I'm actually thinking of is a 'canadian bacon'; reaching around behind and between your legs)

They used to be but now it's specific car dependant. CVTs should be amazing in theory but ppl are to dumb. They initially held the engine at the most efficient rpm and just modulated the transmission to make you accelerate. Then everyone brought their cars back complaining they were broken so cvts now surge up and down fake shifting.

Sequentials are loving awesome but the whine they make is a feature on a bike and a hell no for most street car people.

Why are you giving you know what never mind.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That's what you get for falling asleep around Mr T

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Manuals have a legit application in racing where things like knowing/keeping peak power-band for your car in very specific situations occur that an automatic would (and does) have lag maintaining. Even then, modern racing cars now have almost a hybrid system to assist the driver.

It means you actually are less fuel efficient but in racing it is not a concern of course.

Outside of that, no. Automatics are better.
You get manuals for the “fun” of it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Weird, I learned on a bike first after a couple very brief attempts in friends cars, and did great in cars after that. I found using your hands for throttle/clutch to be much easier to pick up on than using feet.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

dialhforhero posted:

Manuals have a legit application in racing where things like knowing/keeping peak power-band for your car in very specific situations occur that an automatic would (and does) have lag maintaining. Even then, modern racing cars now have almost a hybrid system to assist the driver.

It means you actually are less fuel efficient but in racing it is not a concern of course.

Outside of that, no. Automatics are better.
You get manuals for the “fun” of it.

I think the only racing series that still uses true manuals is Nascar, everything else seems to have moved on to sequentials. (not counting stuff where people build and race their own cars, just the huge money racing)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Since car chat is still live I'll say that the translation joke at 2:45 is quite clever and led to a sensible chuckle

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wBScPr1.mp4
Unmute

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Sep 23, 2022

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'm guessing all the car chat is Americans?

I'm on the UK and every car I've ever had (since 98), has been manual, including our brand new car we got last year

I don't care about the min / maxing - it's just fun to drive a manual car

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
car chat?

it all still sounds like masturbation to me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzDGLXqYrsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBgcHxINPdk

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I have very strong opinions about this topic.

gently caress you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Parrot Doctor posted:

Left-hand wankers grew up where the computer was in a communal part of the house, so they had to keep their right hand on the mouse at all times to minimize windows

The Anime Liker posted:

And the smart ones learned you can easily hit ctrl+W with your left hand

Lefties’ best kept secrets revealed.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Large Testicles posted:

I think the only racing series that still uses true manuals is Nascar, everything else seems to have moved on to sequentials. (not counting stuff where people build and race their own cars, just the huge money racing)

NASCAR moved from 4-speed H-patterns to 5-speed sequentials this year! It's been kinda weird because all the ovals used to be "put it in fourth and forget about it" and now they're downshifting in the corners because it's easier to do and they have an extra gear

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PizzaProwler posted:

car chat?

it all still sounds like masturbation to me

crankshaft!!!!!!!!! lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oldpainless posted:

Every time I have a manual I get tired of it and buy an automatic and when I have the automatic I miss driving a manual and buy one the next time
more like oldshiftless

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Amphigory posted:

I'm guessing all the car chat is Americans?
One person talked about shifting with their left hand, so either in a country that's RHD or maybe a serious JDM fan

or very flexible

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

FFT posted:

One person talked about shifting with their left hand, so either in a country that's RHD or maybe a serious JDM fan

or very flexible

When I was growing up, my next door neighbor who lost his right arm in ‘Nam bought a manual Corvette because a friend bet him he wouldn’t do it. He drove that thing like a pro.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:bisonyes:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

So barbaric...Just for once consider that this was a human being.

Now they're going to be praised by all other human beings for doing the world a favor.

Can you imagine what that would be like?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

:kiss:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Is that Fedor?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Looks like him

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Audax posted:

Is that Fedor?

No you dunce, he's not even wearing a hat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dabir posted:

crankshaft!!!!!!!!! lol

You areeee everybody!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

I think one of the Dodge Hellcat variants is only in a automatic, and the response from Dodge was "The automatic is better at handling this then any human"

Mercedes AMG cars have been automatic-only for a long time for the same reason. "Our highest-performance cars only come with the highest-performance parts, and our computers can shift faster and better than any human. Deal with it."

They are a great example of why pure performance is a stupid metric to use to judge a car. Manuals are still more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

RFC2324 posted:

this thread is getting pretty weird

they can probate me for being weird, but they cant uncrank my hog