Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mystes posted:

Guys, we solved pedestrian safety

Makes sense. Why would anyone need to walk anywhere in the mornings or evenings? They should be going to work, not going for a stroll.

What if we replaced all sidewalks with HOV lanes that could be used as walking paths outside of peak hours? Makes more sense than a bunch of sidewalks that sit empty during the day.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

id just like the trains on my wife to run on time :smith:

its because all the guys who plow your wife keep getting stuck in traffic!!!!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Maybe they should carpool

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We just got a new protected bike lane, and drivers are pissed that their commute may be a couple minutes longer sometimes. I can't wait to ride the new lanes!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/onekade/status/1572353824450576385?t=tWb_4RcBoowLsDmvZ7qfXA&s=19

love my garbage transit system, top five in the US and takes 45-60 minutes to go 6 miles

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have to drive a lot tomorrow. please pray.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Public transit would never work in America because we're not an active warzone.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

have you turned on Fox News lately?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They’re called “schools” here.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Maybe they should carpool

fellas,

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
While riding the bus to the airport, I saw a guy riding a tandem bicycle with a skeleton in the 2nd seat. Rad. :spooky::ok:

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

This is in Australia, so he would have had to pay to import it as well because Dodge don't have any dealerships here.

sadly this isn’t true. since locally made sedan-based utes were phased out the US death machines have moved in:

https://www.ramtrucks.com.au/

GM are already selling here and Ford will start next year.

Apr 7, 2003

upsidedown posted:

sadly this isn’t true. since locally made sedan-based utes were phased out the US death machines have moved in:

lol they won't tell you what the MSRP is, you have to ask for a quote

sounds on the up-and-up

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i piss and poo poo on the idea of "cars". feh.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mystes posted:

Guys, we solved pedestrian safety

'in fact, why even cross the street at all when you could just drive. don't ever even walk anywhere, just tumble out of your car directly onto your destination with vestigial legs that aren't capable of walking anymore. who needs it when we have car'

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

'in fact, why even cross the street at all when you could just drive. don't ever even walk anywhere, just tumble out of your car directly onto your destination with vestigial legs that aren't capable of walking anymore. who needs it when we have car'

The chairs in Wall-E are just cars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://twitter.com/onekade/status/1572353824450576385?t=tWb_4RcBoowLsDmvZ7qfXA&s=19

love my garbage transit system, top five in the US and takes 45-60 minutes to go 6 miles
The top transit system in the US is the MTA and it still sucks. People who want amazing mass transit move to NYC every year and get their hearts broken. There's all sorts of weird train outages and frequency issues constantly. And there's a lot more bus than you think there's gonna be, and you can ride a bus in any city

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

America ... we're not an active warzone.

Well then how do you explain *gestures broadly* 95+% of the country?

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

lol they won't tell you what the MSRP is, you have to ask for a quote

sounds on the up-and-up

one of the online car classifieds shows the common models going for $100-150k AUD, so about $65-100k USD. this includes local conversion to right hand drive.

but also lol:

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

upsidedown posted:

:smith:

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

they'll never have the same Australian charm as a Ford Falcon ute, but could we maybe get some kei trucks instead of this American nonsense

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The top transit system in the US is the MTA and it still sucks. People who want amazing mass transit move to NYC every year and get their hearts broken. There's all sorts of weird train outages and frequency issues constantly. And there's a lot more bus than you think there's gonna be, and you can ride a bus in any city

nothing wrong with riding the bus though

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Busses in carbrain cities get stuck in traffic constantly, i think is the main complaint

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Yesterday my train stopped in the bronx, about 2 miles before 125th. We sat for 40 mins while the police ran through the train to catch a 'trespasser' who fled paying a fare. He exited the train on the tracks and they couldn't find him.

They gave up started the train and said we were on our way after 40 mins.

2 mins later the train stops again. Now we've struck someone. 40 mins, paramedics, more transit cops.

Hooray they've captured the fare evader, an hour and ten mins and 1 maiming in, MTA cops score another victory for justice.

Apr 7, 2003

Turns out transit sucks when the people who make the decisions don't use it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Turns out transit sucks when the people who make the decisions don't use it

"Let them ride trains" - Mayor Eric "Marie" Adams

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sanlav posted:

Yesterday my train stopped in the bronx, about 2 miles before 125th. We sat for 40 mins while the police ran through the train to catch a 'trespasser' who fled paying a fare. He exited the train on the tracks and they couldn't find him.

2 mins later the train stops again. Now we've struck someone. 40 mins, paramedics, more transit cops.

Hooray they've captured the fare evader, an hour and ten mins and 1 maiming in, MTA cops score another victory for justice.

Jesus christ

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, buses are usually an issue because they are usually slow and in most American cities in rough shape or come very infrequently. Rail transit is almost always better, it is just that either doesn’t exists or sucks in the US as well.

The main benefit of the MTA is that it has a bunch of double tracking which is fairly unique and allows things like express trains and 24 hour service. However, that is probably the best part since otherwise it is antiqued. Hell they even still use magnetic strip cards.

(Also, it makes sense to locals but probably one of the least accessible systems out there as trying to figure out where your going. The NYC is the full 1040 form of transit systems.)

I don’t think it will get better any time soon, it is just going to take far more money than the state is willing to hand over to fix it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Sanlav posted:

lol how much money did they waste chasing someone who skipped a $2.75 fare

Apr 7, 2003

dxt posted:

lol how much money did they waste chasing someone who skipped a $2.75 fare

any amount of wasted money is acceptable in the service of punishing the poors

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The brave new world of the Chick-fil-A drive thru.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

darn sedentary bike owners :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

love my authentic freedom man nomad lifestyle where I can go everywhere that the government builds and maintains extensive infrastructure for me to go

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Clark Nova posted:

love my authentic freedom man nomad lifestyle where I can go everywhere that the government builds and maintains extensive infrastructure for me to go

Infrastructure that destroys the capacity of my environment to sustain my nomad lifestyle, forcing me to scavenge gas stations for honey buns

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Rode my bike to and from work now I'm gonna drop off some stuff at a friend's place with it. Trucks in the dirt!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

USA rocks

The Oldest Man posted:

1. The US regulations for headlights are dumb as gently caress and require a certain beam throw angle rather than specifying the area to be illuminated. The result is that taller vehicles intrinsically do better on headlight tests than lower vehicles (because raising a fixed angle beam 2 feet makes it throw farther) while also being more likely to blind other drivers. There's no accounting for this in the regulations because durr hurr that would cost money to implement and kill jobs.

2. The US actually bans adaptive shadow technology which is built into almost all of these LED headlight modules and used in Japan and Europe but not on the same cars in the US. EG in Europe your BMW actually dims the beam to 'black out' specifically the part of the illuminated area that would blind another driver or a pedestrian; the concept of a fixed 'low' and 'high' setting is an antiquated concept when you can light up the entire road like the fourth of july while simultaneously dimming exactly the areas where the light would be obnoxious to other people.

Basically headlights have gotten brighter and brighter and vehicles have gotten taller and taller but the US regulations still think it's 1985 and everyone is driving a munchkin sized Toyota Tercel with two whale oil lamps strapped to the front.

Point #2 was reportedly changed last year but I don't think it's going into effect until next year.

e: here's a video of some volvo that does this; putting the same technology on the same car in the us would be illegal so better to just blind other drivers instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTYa0ZgxTpU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
News story about how criminals are stealing cars and crashing them through buildings to steal stuff, and store owners are making sidewalks worse by putting up concrete barricades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGUpJMQRcvE

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

News story about how criminals are stealing cars and crashing them through buildings to steal stuff, and store owners are making sidewalks worse by putting up concrete barricades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGUpJMQRcvE

So, if you leave one of these on the public street or sidewalk, isn't that just littering?

How do people move these things, anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ham Equity posted:

So, if you leave one of these on the public street or sidewalk, isn't that just littering?

How do people move these things, anyhow?

Very carefully