Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The few times I've seen rescue used well is when 1) the target realized their mistake too late to clear the mechanic by running and it's obvious they won't clear the bad zone in time and 2) the healer noticed the target was not going to make it and acted on it. It's basically an "oh poo poo they're not gonna make it" tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SettingSun posted:

That reminds me my co healer and I used Rescue creatively in E4S, rescuing each other from spread positions because it was faster than walking.

I remember doing a planned rescue on the tank for Hello World (O12S), but I'm not sure why. When did they add multiple stacks for the tank gapclosers?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rap Game Goku posted:

I think all the 24 man bosses have too much xp, except LotA and Circus. At the time those were relevant I'd have probably included them too.

maybe lota and ct are too short

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Tamba posted:

I remember doing a planned rescue on the tank for Hello World (O12S), but I'm not sure why. When did they add multiple stacks for the tank gapclosers?

https://streamable.com/oxyx2

The tank with the far defam has to travel a pretty long distance. WAR didn't have charges on Onslaught at the time, but it was a net negative to spend beast gauge on Onslaught. DRK had Plunge but wanted to use it on CD and you're correctly remembering there were no charges yet. PLD had no gap closer and had to walk/sprint the distance.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Hyper Inferno posted:

Rescue is one of the types of skills that in theory is really good and is exactly what people want when they're asking for "utility" but in practice is never properly used because the situational awareness necessary to use it (for both the caster and the rescuee) is too high for the playerbase to actually benefit on top of the lag involved. I'm sure there's been many times where you've tried to Rescue someone only for them to just walk back into the exact spot they came from and get pasted.

The exception is Hello World 2 where Rescue was in the preferred way to resolve the mechanic.

The problem with rescue is not that players lack situational awareness, it's that the servers can't process snap reactions reliably. You can do some wild stuff with defensives in WoW that you'd think would be just as practical in FFXIV from reading the tooltips on Rescue or Cover - but in practice you can't. By the time you see something going wrong it's almost certainly too late for your action to be processed by the server in time. Your actions register slower in XIV and people on your screen are displayed way behind their actual status and position. Those combine to cripple pre-emptive play compared to WoW.

I can't count the number of times I saved pulls with pre-emptive Spirit Link Totems alone, on reaction to seeing someone loving up in real time, over the course of two mythic raid tiers in Legion. I could probably count on a single hand the number of pulls I saved with Cover in two savage tiers of Eden, and most of those were sheer guesses based on psychology in the moment rather than actually seeing anything gone wrong. The game just won't tell you something is going wrong until it's too late.

There's a reason why the game has leaned heavily into the preplanned dance style of fight.

e: And the lack of loving mousovers and smartcasting doesn't help one bit in situations where every single bit of reaction speed matters.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 22, 2022

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i like rescuing my friends

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Just want to re-propose a Tank anti-Rescue. If there's someone standing in your tankbuster, you should be able to target them and kick them away from you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MillennialVulcan posted:

Just want to re-propose a Tank anti-Rescue. If there's someone standing in your tankbuster, you should be able to target them and kick them away from you.

Right into the deathwall.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

MillennialVulcan posted:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Malediction_of_Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNYDu-dR_7E

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

MillennialVulcan posted:

I don't understand the use case here. Why would I purposely give up kills?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Corbeau posted:

The problem with rescue is not that players lack situational awareness, it's that the servers can't process snap reactions reliably. You can do some wild stuff with defensives in WoW that you'd think would be just as practical in FFXIV from reading the tooltips on Rescue or Cover - but in practice you can't. By the time you see something going wrong it's almost certainly too late for your action to be processed by the server in time. Your actions register slower in XIV and people on your screen are displayed way behind their actual status and position. Those combine to cripple pre-emptive play compared to WoW.

I can't count the number of times I saved pulls with pre-emptive Spirit Link Totems alone, on reaction to seeing someone loving up in real time, over the course of two mythic raid tiers in Legion. I could probably count on a single hand the number of pulls I saved with Cover in two savage tiers of Eden, and most of those were sheer guesses based on psychology in the moment rather than actually seeing anything gone wrong. The game just won't tell you something is going wrong until it's too late.

There's a reason why the game has leaned heavily into the preplanned dance style of fight.

e: And the lack of loving mousovers and smartcasting doesn't help one bit in situations where every single bit of reaction speed matters.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Something going wrong in a way rescue can solve is usually evident well in advance. Short of someone backflipping off an edge it is easy to save people from dumb. You just can't do it *that* often

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Black mages keep getting mad at me whenever I rescue them from the fancy looking AoEs that only target them for some reason.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Electric Phantasm posted:

Black mages keep getting mad at me whenever I rescue them from the fancy looking AoEs that only target them for some reason.

Because either

1. They were going to AM to you as soon as that fire 4 went off

2. Have accepted the glorious death by Fire 4

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

The best usage of Rescue is when it's just too late and your friend's corpse skids across the arena, stopping at your feet.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Because either

1. They were going to AM to you as soon as that fire 4 went off

2. Have accepted the glorious death by Fire 4

You missed the joke.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You missed the joke.

Oh goddamn it :ughh:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MillennialVulcan posted:

A couple times I've seen a healer try to rescue someone from a tankbuster and accidentally (or "accidentally") pull the tank into the crowd

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here. Something going wrong in a way rescue can solve is usually evident well in advance.

That's exactly what I mean: those well-in-advance situations are the only situations in which stuff like rescue works... in this game.

Now think of a fight where you're moving as a group, dropping AoEs behind everyone. P2S, let's say. If someone starts late, they get obliterated by the AoEs being baited. My experience is that by the time you visually see someone behind the group, it's too late for anything you do to affect them before the server marks them as dead. I don't think rescue would even work anyway, due to how janky the positional snapshotting is if the caster is in motion.

In an equivalent mechanic in Argus, which is the fight most burned into my brain by ~500 pulls of prog, I could reliably save someone who fell behind based on seeing them move a split-second behind the group. The fight design itself certainly wasn't slower than the P2S fight - WoW tends to be quite frenetic by comparison - but the servers were far more responsive with a much higher tickrate and probably better latency to the players to boot.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I only really use Rescue in 24 mans on people who are obviously first time in.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I find the jerkiness of being pulled by a rescue kind of insulting, even if the healer was just trying to be helpful. Like, I feel embarrassed whenever I get rescued.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Being rescued is embarrassing but it's less embarrassing then getting Raised. Now, of everyone in an Alliance Raid had an obnoxious Rescue macro...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

HackensackBackpack posted:

I find the jerkiness of being pulled by a rescue kind of insulting, even if the healer was just trying to be helpful. Like, I feel embarrassed whenever I get rescued.

Same, and it's because it is nearly impossible to shake the thought that you did something wrong, thus the healer felt you needed to be saved from yourself.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tugging the leash on your toddler harness. :smug:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
When I can remember to get them off in time, I mostly only get to Rescue players who are standing on the wrong side during a cast bar - like, say, a Reaper with two vuln stacks wailing away on a boss's left when the cast bar is saying "BOSS IS ABOUT TO CAST SOMETHING THAT HITS THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ARENA"
Either that or pulling the tank to the door at the end of a dungeon boss.

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
Rescue's also tougher to use than it should be because it has a longer animation than the skill really should have, given its "oh poo poo" case usage. It makes that little sparkly noise and then your character animates yoinking and THEN Rescue's effect happens; that delay's not entirely due to slow communication with the server. I dunno, there's probably someone out there that has timed the animation.

Some other actions that lose/lost function for form:
Hallowed Ground; the buff comes up late into the animation and the buff is the thing that makes you invulnerable, not the action

Benediction; slowest instant heal in the game

Old Tornado Kick; an oGCD-Greased Lightning-dumping version. It was meant to be a way to drop your stacks for when a boss was going away/dying and you wouldn't be able to keep them, but its animation was so long that the damage would often only come out by the time your next GCD Weaponskill was used (weaker without GL), or worse, the boss became invincible after you initiated the action but before the damage was dealt.

Old Butcher's Block; WAR's old third-hit of their enmity combo. Sometimes folks would get aggro between the WAR provoking and before the damage (and threat) was actually dealt.

Healer shields; for a long time, if you were shielding the animation of the shield being applied took longer before the player received the buff, which was compounded by the way that no AoEs in the game truly hit thing simultaneously. So, your shields may take considerably longer to reach one person than its cast time by virtue of them being furthest away in the party, and the animation of the spell, and the animation of the shield being applied to them. A boss's castbar would skip a shield applied after their cast finished, even if it was applied before the damage came out.

Sometimes actions animations are inconsistent in length and this can be mistaken for the game's less-than-stellar netcode. When the effects (damage, healing, buffs, knockbacks etc) are actually applied is consistent, but it depends on the action. It's one of the things that makes the game feel clunky, especially since it's easy to miss.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

you use Rescue to pull back the dps right as Griffin kicks them baelsar's wall. not for like up time or whatever but just as a huge "no, gently caress you" to that guy's bullshit

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Rescue is the best spell. While I'd never* yank randoms into dangerous situations trolling friends by pulling them into AoEs is required. Dragging black mages too busy focusing on casting out of AoEs is just good manners.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you get Rescued you must be in danger. Turn off tank stance and Shirk asap. Quit the dungeon and shut down your PC. Gather supplies and find shelter. Stay away from windows.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Tell your black mages to stop leying their lives on the line

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Rescue is the best spell. While I'd never* yank randoms into dangerous situations trolling friends by pulling them into AoEs is required.
I'll never forget getting pulled into the way of an oncoming train thanks to rescue. Possibly hands down the hardest I've laughed playing XIV.

It was totally well intentioned too - I had run to the "far" safe spot and the healer wanted to bring me to the close one, they just did it at the worst moment possible lol.

e: A healer rescued me recently on a P8 or something, I kinda just spaced out on like some mechanic overlap. I've totally felt the "aw heck, i messed up didn't I" rescues, but that one was "oh, poo poo, nice" I made sure to commend that healer lol. Little reason to treat it differently then getting a target heal or shield - they're likely doing you (and themselves) a favor.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 22, 2022

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Jabbering Idiot posted:

Rescue's also tougher to use than it should be because it has a longer animation than the skill really should have, given its "oh poo poo" case usage. It makes that little sparkly noise and then your character animates yoinking and THEN Rescue's effect happens; that delay's not entirely due to slow communication with the server. I dunno, there's probably someone out there that has timed the animation.

Some other actions that lose/lost function for form:
Hallowed Ground; the buff comes up late into the animation and the buff is the thing that makes you invulnerable, not the action

Benediction; slowest instant heal in the game

Old Tornado Kick; an oGCD-Greased Lightning-dumping version. It was meant to be a way to drop your stacks for when a boss was going away/dying and you wouldn't be able to keep them, but its animation was so long that the damage would often only come out by the time your next GCD Weaponskill was used (weaker without GL), or worse, the boss became invincible after you initiated the action but before the damage was dealt.

Old Butcher's Block; WAR's old third-hit of their enmity combo. Sometimes folks would get aggro between the WAR provoking and before the damage (and threat) was actually dealt.

Healer shields; for a long time, if you were shielding the animation of the shield being applied took longer before the player received the buff, which was compounded by the way that no AoEs in the game truly hit thing simultaneously. So, your shields may take considerably longer to reach one person than its cast time by virtue of them being furthest away in the party, and the animation of the spell, and the animation of the shield being applied to them. A boss's castbar would skip a shield applied after their cast finished, even if it was applied before the damage came out.

Sometimes actions animations are inconsistent in length and this can be mistaken for the game's less-than-stellar netcode. When the effects (damage, healing, buffs, knockbacks etc) are actually applied is consistent, but it depends on the action. It's one of the things that makes the game feel clunky, especially since it's easy to miss.

didnt read :dukedoge:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would say at least 75% of the time i rescue someone they just run straight back into danger and still get hit

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Awesome! posted:

i would say at least 75% of the time i rescue someone they just run straight back into danger and still get hit

Spite.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'd wager that most times someone gets rescued they don't realize what happened. Then panic thinking a fight mechanic drew them in and that they need to run away.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gruckles posted:

I'd wager that most times someone gets rescued they don't realize what happened. Then panic thinking a fight mechanic drew them in and that they need to run away.

Yeah gonna be real here getting rescued is kinda disorienting.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I'll never forget getting pulled into the way of an oncoming train thanks to rescue. Possibly hands down the hardest I've laughed playing XIV.

I've accepted a revive into the way of a train myself. Was one of the more amusing ways of double-dieing embarrassingly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm leveling BLM and would rather die than have a suboptimal Ley Lines.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Rescue is the best spell. While I'd never* yank randoms into dangerous situations trolling friends by pulling them into AoEs is required. Dragging black mages too busy focusing on casting out of AoEs is just good manners.

when i get cloud deck or hell's kier as a healer with a friend, there's only ever one way the fight can end

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Awesome! posted:

Most of the time when I get rescued it's in normal content where I've decided to take a vuln stack for uptime, so in those cases I usually gapclose right back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tamba posted:

Or you can just let other people do all the math and just craft the recommendation for each day :shrug:

Where are these recommendations at?